Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Hood Clipping post 1.2: You guys haven't noticed it?

Dubaco

Hello guys.

Simply put, the hoods after the 1.2 patch are clipping. Our "bald" heads always show up when we have our lightsaber down. Haven't you guys noticed it? It was perfectly fine before 1.2, but the day I logged in it was the first thing I noticed. It was like: "Yey, UI Customization! What is this? NOOOO!"

*If it matters, I have a body type 2 human, with hair.

What do you guys think of this? Everyone is complaining about ranked warzones and how the game should be F2P but I've seen no thread here about the hood clipping?

Also, I feel bad for the republican guys. Almost all of their hoods were redesigned and now look like a hoody I bought from gap. Did they change them because people were complaining they wanted to see their toon's faces? They lost all of the mysterious look they had. Jedi use hoods to hide their faces, not to show them!

Hood Clipping Screenshots

As you can see, the clipping is pretty bad on some animations. It is worth noting that when my lightsaber is turned off, the clipping doesn't happen.

Have the Devs spoken about this yet? Many small patches were implemented after the 1.2, but nothing was done about it. This graphical error makes you remember the game is made of moving empty shells and not by characters.

Will they fix this when 1.3 come out?

Edited by Dubaco
Screenshots

Greetings everyone!

We wanted to bring you to the attention of our Known In-Game Issues Sticky by Live Community Coordinator, Amber Green:

Hello everyone! We appreciate you joining us to play Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, and we hope you enjoy the game. As MMORPGs are large and complex projects, inevitably we do discover issues that may affect gameplay. We're working constantly to fix anything that will affect the player experience, but for now this is our current list of high priority in-game known issues.

UPDATED: April 27th, 2012

Items and Economy

• Various gear combinations can cause characters to appear without hair or facial hair.

We hope this helps! :)

Edited by Ellvaan

It's happening on my Force Sentry Headgear as well - the top of my scalp and my ears poke through. If there were hood-up medium armour options for Marauders I might not worry so much but... oh, well, never mind. Who wants to look like the progression video anyway, right?

My question would be does...

Various gear combinations can cause characters to appear without hair or facial hair.

...also mean that the devs are aware of and dealing with the issue that has people's heads sticking out of their clothes rather than being bald or less beardy?

I have noticed more clipping recently, like lightsabers with robes. I never wear robes because of this, and because of the big butt problem. Hopefully they'll fix both at some point.

I'm with you on the "big butt" issue. It's absolutely horrible!

Edited by llesna

Greetings everyone!

We wanted to bring you to the attention of our Known In-Game Issues Sticky by Live Community Coordinator, Amber Green:

We hope this helps! :) [/color]

Thanks, but this doesn't help at all. This is a completely different issue. The issue here is that ANY hooded robe, regardless of gear combinations/quality etc., a bald head (even on chars with hair) clips through the hood model when a weapon is drawn, when mounted on a speeder etc. The clipping does not happen when your weapon is sheathed, that's it.

Strange thing is, I had a friend over last night and the clipping was nowhere near as drastic on his screen. All I could see was the very tip of my ear, and on my screen half my head was sticking out of my hood. Very strange indeed. Probably going to try a reinstall and rollback vid drivers, see what happens.

Isn't it a big issue to you? Doesn't it frustrate you when it happens?

You know what I always say. BioWare Austin has a habit of never getting the point.

I know there's a lot of Republic players who are tired of nothing but hoods on their gear. Yes, they can appreciate the mystique of having your face mostly hidden by hood, but they want something else.

So what does BioWare Austin does? They don't give you a hood down option, they make the hood uglier looking and mucked with its charms.

There's already a working code for removing hoods, the proof is with Twi'leks. Code doesn't discriminate against races, the hood doesn't just only work for Twi'leks magically and no one else. Code -is- there. The sad thing is that BioWare isn't implementing it, and that's probably because they're going to implement it in a way that also misses the point completely and horribly disfigure our characters for lowering their hoods.

You know what I always say. BioWare Austin has a habit of never getting the point.

I know there's a lot of Republic players who are tired of nothing but hoods on their gear. Yes, they can appreciate the mystique of having your face mostly hidden by hood, but they want something else.

So what does BioWare Austin does? They don't give you a hood down option, they make the hood uglier looking and mucked with its charms.

There's already a working code for removing hoods, the proof is with Twi'leks. Code doesn't discriminate against races, the hood doesn't just only work for Twi'leks magically and no one else. Code -is- there. The sad thing is that BioWare isn't implementing it, and that's probably because they're going to implement it in a way that also misses the point completely and horribly disfigure our characters for lowering their hoods.

Sounds like a different issue entirely.

There's a thread about this that's been going in the customer service area for two weeks:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=416881

i REALLY hope they take care of this issue, every time i play my lower level assassin, i find myself staring at the back of his head with a twitch in my eye, and not at the environment or anything else around my character. i cant seem to enjoy him right now because of a small bug! its unfortunate, and i assume an easy fix, so here is hoping they take care of it soon.

i REALLY hope they take care of this issue, every time i play my lower level assassin, i find myself staring at the back of his head with a twitch in my eye, and not at the environment or anything else around my character. i cant seem to enjoy him right now because of a small bug! its unfortunate, and i assume an easy fix, so here is hoping they take care of it soon.

Easy fix, low priority, waiting for major patch to maybe implement it.

It's not about how easy it is to fix the game, it's what priority level they think it's at for them to implement fixes.

They tend to also hold back on fixing things unless it's game breaking, exploits, and bugs that prevent people from playing the game. Visual preferences is not high on their priority list, hence my complaint about the splash screen still appearing upon being loaded into an area is still not fixed.

The problem with priority systems, it rarely works out as intended.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.