Stupid Taun Taun pets messing up heal targeting

Serbegorn

The thing with Target Next Friendly is that your target is random unless there are no other friendlies nearby.

Target is not random. It cycles in order of proximity, waiting 2-3 seconds before using it again resets the cycle. And it is the more efficient way of targeting in battles with up to 4~ team members close by.

And no, clickers will never be as fast as ppl who keybind. Maybe the fastest clicker vs the slowest keybinder, but if you assume both sides are competent, then no. Just because you keybind something, doesn't automatically make u the fastest, it still is dependent on your reaction time.

And under the irl laws of physics, pushing multiple buttons in succession and or/combinations is still faster than using your mouse pointer.

If you want to prove me and the laws of physics wrong, go type something on a virtual keyboard using only your mouse, and see how it compares to actual typing, where every letter is keybinded and you do not have to click it.

But what am i discussing, if you are not interested in top level gameplay, then it makes no difference if you keybind, click, play with your feet, faceroll ....... as long as you have fun.

Edited by Dmasterr

Ok, let me put it this way. Since you specified that you keybind, then you must agree that keybinding an ability is more efficient that using your mouse to reach it then clicking it.

Why can't you apply the same to targeting ?, keybinding your targeting > mouse work.

Also there is a difference between being able to do something (being mobile, actions etc), and optimizing the crap out of your character interaction so every millisecond counts. It is 1 thing to do ok, and another to do it at the limit of game mechanics.

That is why i was having a discussion with a fellow on another thread where he said he can not use Mind trap -> cap with assassin, where i said that i can. Why ? because game mechanics allow it, and his inability to do so is because he is to slow.

When I am healing, my mouse ALWAYS stays over the Raid Frames. It costs me no time to click people. All my heals are at my fingertips so there is never any click fest or search. I can see if you have F1-8 bound to each team mate but I do not feel that would speed me up any amount. And as for tabbing through multiple people to get someone low on health, I just do not see that faster. Clicking 2-4 times is faster than "click,heal,done,move-on"? I am not criticizing, and applaud your technique. I am sure if it did not work well, you would not be doing in. I personally feel I am very optimized and can honestly say that I have never lost someone because I was too slow to click on them or died because I could not heal and move.

Target is not random. It cycles in order of proximity, waiting 2-3 seconds before using it again resets the cycle. And it is the more efficient way of targeting in battles with up to 4~ team members close by.

And no, clickers will never be as fast as ppl who keybind. Maybe the fastest clicker vs the slowest keybinder, but if you assume both sides are competent, then no. Just because you keybind something, doesn't automatically make u the fastest, it still is dependent on your reaction time.

And under the irl laws of physics, pushing multiple buttons in succession and or/combinations is still faster than using your mouse pointer.

But what am i discussing, if you are not interested in top level gameplay, then it makes no difference if you keybind, click, play with your feet, faceroll ....... as long as you have fun.

So arguing absolutes here. Yes it cycles in order of proximity, but in PvP characters are constantly moving unlike in PvE where generally only melee are constanly moving except for certain phases and transitions. So considering your proximity to a character is constantly changing then your Target Next Friendly is having to adapt to which is closest. You don't always cycle through the list like you should. Like you said if you wait 2-3 seconds it resets... 2-3 seconds you could have manually clicked the person in the raid frame. 2-3 seconds is a matter of life and death. So if you are ok with having to let your Target next Friendly reset and letting someone die then I guess you aren't up to top level gameplay.

If you want to prove me and the laws of physics wrong, go type something on a virtual keyboard using only your mouse, and see how it compares to actual typing, where every letter is keybinded and you do not have to click it.

I am not quite sure that is a "law of physics" but you are correct when comparing Keybinds to Clicking all over the quickbar. But I do not believe we are comparing that exactly. The fact that you may have to click a few times to get to where you need could be slower than just a single click of the mouse. Especially since most healers mouse never leave the Raid Frame. Furthermore, if you happen to be with 5-7 others, that could take forever to get to the 7th guy not to mention if you cycle past one THEN he gets hit. Most of us are still Keybind the heals, just not the member selection. However, I would agree that if someone is Clicking a Member, then Clicking a Heal/Ability.. that would be very slow.

Edited by Raific

When I am healing, my mouse ALWAYS stays over the Raid Frames. It costs me no time to click people. All my heals are at my fingertips so there is never any click fest or search. I can see if you have F1-8 bound to each team mate but I do not feel that would speed me up any amount. And as for tabbing through multiple people to get someone low on health, I just do not see that faster. Clicking 2-4 times is faster than "click,heal,done,move-on"? I am not criticizing, and applaud your technique. I am sure if it did not work well, you would not be doing in. I personally feel I am very optimized and can honestly say that I have never lost someone because I was too slow to click on them or died because I could not heal and move.

Except that you sacrifice mobility and utility, clicking raid frames. And slaughter it by using F1-8 keybinds.

So arguing absolutes here. Yes it cycles in order of proximity, but in PvP characters are constantly moving unlike in PvE where generally only melee are constanly moving except for certain phases and transitions. So considering your proximity to a character is constantly changing then your Target Next Friendly is having to adapt to which is closest. You don't always cycle through the list like you should. Like you said if you wait 2-3 seconds it resets... 2-3 seconds you could have manually clicked the person in the raid frame. 2-3 seconds is a matter of life and death. So if you are ok with having to let your Target next Friendly reset and letting someone die then I guess you aren't up to top level gameplay.

Ah, ppl are constantly moving, that's where situational awareness, experience and plain not being dumb... come into play. And you don't have to wait for it to reset, u can cycle trough all and reset the cycle. As i said, it is best used in under 5 man groups of friendly ppl. Use both methods, to its appropriated situation to maximize your performance.

Again, why am i helping others get better?

/Minaegi out.

My mouse wheel is set like this:

roll forward: target nearest friendly

roll backware: target next friendly

I heal with a BH in pvp. I run by holding both mouse buttons down. Sometimes, I run using keyboard while I look around with mouse. I never click a raid frame. If I see someone's health bar is low, I hit esc to cancel current target, run towards them and roll mouse wheel forward, 99% of the time it will target them. If it does not, I roll mouse wheel back until it does.

If in the offhand chance I don't get them in two rolls, I will click them while moving with left hand keyboard.

It works for me.

I also run around like crazy spamming my tiny heal on players while I scroll wheel to find a friendly who needs healing. This gives me two benefits. It charges my cylinder, it enables me to see if they have a debuff on them.

I just don't see how clicking anything on the UI with my mouse is an advantage. ie. abilities, opponents, etc.

you people need to stop arguing about this crap, open up another thread for that

back on track with what OP is saying

fact of the matter is, whether you tab target (and tab targeting is in the game for a reason) or click, WHY would you want to ever be able to target a pet, it's stupid and unnecessary, ESPECIALLY in pvp

unfortunately, i think the way they wrote this game as of this time is pets are pets (including your companions), so they're going to be tab targetted as part of the game mechanic

Edited by rotatorkuf

Except that you sacrifice mobility and utility, clicking raid frames. And slaughter it by using F1-8 keybinds.

Again, why am i helping others get better?

/Minaegi out.

I fail to see why I would have to stop to click on someone. I almost never stop moving in PvP unless I have to use a focus heal, in which case everyone else would have to stop to. To be clear.. I MOVE and CLICK at the same time.

And as for the last, I do not believe you are. I mean no offense but I do not feel your way is better, faster or more efficient.

Is this for all pets? I take out my remote droid as a goodluck charm in warzones but if this is true he's aparently getting me killed.

Evil bastard. :(

LOL a rabbit's foot on your keychain gets you killed because it still has rabids in it.

Yes the pet targeting is messed up, trying to intercde with my jugg and the closest friendly is a freaking pet. I remember the issue (it's been fixed since then) that during operations or flashpoints, recuperative nanotech or kolto missile would consumed by a pet droid, my guild always said to PUT THEM AWAY in those but heals are not consumed by them anymore, now tauntauns are right back to square 1 on that.

Edited by Sookster

If you really think that pushing the keybind 4 times (worst case scenario with 'up to 4'), each time allowing the game to catch up (otherwise the command doesn't register) is faster than a click, the problem must be due to your mouse skills.

Even if there were no lag in the target change - others pointed out already, that there is movement involved, to which you countered with 'situational awareness, etc' - no situational awareness can counter the lag on the relevant scale (i.e. what you see is not what is. See Huttball passing for an example.

This has nothing to do with keybinding vs clicking btw - imo every ability, that gets used, no matter the frequency, should be bound - no doubt about that. But in case of targetting, the 'cycle next friendly' isn't the equivalent of keybinding - binding the group members to their respective keys is - e.g. F1-F8 (which is 'slaughtering the function' according to you - why is that? It's obviously both faster and more controlled than the cycle approach!).

Finally, you repeatedly claim, that click targetting equals being immobile - this is false. Ofc you use M1&M2 for movement, but when you need your mouse to target an objective, target an enemy far away in huttball to pull him before the score (thus not being in the luxury of tabbing a hundred times due to poor tab algorithm), or target someone in the group frame - I simply switch to WAD without downtime - where is the problem now? Only mobility I lose is the ability to turn for a fraction of a second - this is not equal to being immobile as you put it.

The target next friendly is only superior to frameclicking in situations where there is only one friendly around you (or your mouse skills lack). And if your goal really was to absolutely maximize efficency - binding party member 1-8 to individual keys is king. If you manage to connect the players to their positions fast enough, that is.

Also, this forum needs a formatting policy, like the decent boards have. Excessive usage of colored fonts is...well, you know why you do it.^^

btt: There's been an option in the preferences, where you could disable the target cycling through npc (with the exact purpose to fix the op's problem) - but this extended to every npc, not just pets and thus led to not being able to tab target mobs in PvE - which led to the /1 being spammed by 'why does my tab target not work?' and ultimately to the removal of the function before release.

Edited by wtfnonamefree

Do the laws of physics also have a 1.5 sec gcd? It's probably about the same time. I keybind but I don't think it matters that much, the real reason is mouse turning is so much faster than keyboard turning.

If you PVE you might as well just click, especially if you are a casual player which is the main target of this game and MMOs in general.

As a scoundrel healer, I often use target close friendly so that I can run around and "get fairly close" to my heal target to cast up a couple HoT's. And I have instant casts too so no it's not just weak heals when mobile. On top of that, standing sill also makes me stand out as a healer, whereas running around like a decapitated chicken helps me blend in.

Point is, I DO find use for target next friendly, and targetting people's pets wastes time. It's also just annoying.

BW should either make pets untargetable, or just not allow them in warzones.

I never had a problem using the ops frame while moving and healing properly nor with any delay. That is probably due to years of Grid healing with druid/priest/shaman though.

That pet thing is probably a bug and should be submitted as such.

On top of that, standing sill also makes me stand out as a healer, whereas running around like a decapitated chicken helps me blend in.

Truth! We need to be moving as much as possible. I used to use target nearest friendly a lot, along with the mouse wheel for target scrolling but with pets, target nearest friendly has become next to worthless.

That pet thing is probably a bug and should be submitted as such.

I guarantee you it is not. Pets are suppose to add a new wrinkle.

I find most of this thread ridiculous. Coming from a person who has pvp healed for years across games, there is no one best answer for healing. It just isn't as position critical as is being a DPS'er, for example.

I will agree that DPS'ers need to keybind like mad, and that keyboard turners are dead meat. But as a healer, I gotta call BS! I top every WZ I heal in, and use a crazy mix of techniques. One thing I don't do, nor will ever do is rely on crappy random tab targetting for healing. Just silly.

Raid Frames and Direct Party select keys, ftw.

Its not a bad thing to have target next friendly bound. Ideally you could bind ops members 1-8, but our good friends at bioware haven't given us that option yet. However this is beside the point. Its completely retarded that vanity pets can be targetted by any targetting key. And why do they have nameplates? You already have to be watching for cced animations, because the ops frames debuffs are so poorly designed. Adding a vanity pet nameplate into the cluster**** that can be these warzones is just plain stupid. :mad: