pvp stat (expertise) - is it needed?

eclipce

:eek: That were rethorical questions. It just means system that divides playerbase is bad.

And where am i exactly?

You're under the PVP section, you know that thing you don't like to do, so why would you offer advice if you don't PVP?

Dividing the player base? You know there people who only want to PVP and not do PVE... I know shocking. That means we don't want to PVE to get gear.

Edited by broganthomas

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're under the PVP section, you know that thing you don't like to do, so why would you offer advice if you don't PVP?

So what? I pay for this game and forum access, and have the right to say my thoughts, even if you dont like them.

Besides this post started in general section.

And i didnt say i dont like pvp. I dont like lame minigames liek warzones.

EDIT: as you added to original post. I dont want you to do the part you dont like. On the contrary, i want everybody to do what they want, and still be viable in areas they are interested in sporadically.

Edited by Satanski

So what? I pay for this game and forum access, and have the right to say my thoughts, even if you dont like them.

You're right about one thing, you can "say your thoughts" all you want, however doesn't make them correct.

You're right about one thing, you can "say your thoughts" all you want, however doesn't make them correct.

Thank you for enlightening me, but his knowledge is known to me for several years :rolleyes:

Just make sure you dont forget it yourself

Edited by Satanski

And i didnt say i dont like pvp. I dont like lame minigames liek warzones.

EDIT: as you added to original post. I dont want you to do the part you dont like. On the contrary, i want everybody to do what they want, and still be viable in areas they are interested in sporadically.

Warzones and arenas are the only fair/competitive way to do PvP. Too many variables otherwise.

SWTOR isn't designed that way, so much like WoW a PvP stat is probably the least worse option.

I believe the least worse option is to remove all gear from PvP and use the bolster mechanic to equalize everyone's stats, so skill becomes the deciding factor and gear level is a non-issue. Rewards can be mounts, titles, gear skins, lightsaber colors, etc.

Expertise also has a side benefit where it allows developers the ability to tweak PVP without affecting PVE.

Example= PVE content is set based of players TimeToKill a specific mob.

If they find the Players TTK another player in PVP is too great they can either adjust damage output or adjust damage mitigation. This would effect PVE also and break content.

By adjusting the percentage that expertise affects damage and mitigation they can correct PVP TTK without breaking PVE.

They can reduce the damage % that expertise does and increase the mitigation % that experise does and it makes it easier to balance PVP. This makes experise a good thing for the PVE'rs.

Expertise also has a side benefit where it allows developers the ability to tweak PVP without affecting PVE.

If they find the Players TTK another player in PVP is too great they can either adjust damage output or adjust damage mitigation. This would effect PVE also and break content.

By adjusting the percentage that expertise affects damage and mitigation they can correct PVP TTK without breaking PVE.

They can reduce the damage % that expertise does and increase the mitigation % that experise does and it makes it easier to balance PVP. This makes experise a good thing for the PVE'rs.

Good point...

I believe the least worse option is to remove all gear from PvP and use the bolster mechanic to equalize everyone's stats, so skill becomes the deciding factor and gear level is a non-issue. Rewards can be mounts, titles, gear skins, lightsaber colors, etc.

Those who enjoy RPG's do not want this. Gearing and customizing your character to your playstyle is part of the fun. There are plenty of other games/genres that don't offer gear.

Wouldnt be necesarry if all gear have two different sets of stats. One for pve, second for pvp. For example Rakata would have Battlemaster stats aswell, and vice versa. Less grind, more fun.

Those who enjoy RPG's do not want this. Gearing and customizing your character to your playstyle is part of the fun. There are plenty of other games/genres that don't offer gear.

Since when RPG is about gear? Its about roleplaying as the name sugests. The gear is just a nice addition.

Edited by Satanski

Wouldnt be necesarry if all gear have two different sets of stats. One for pve, second for pvp. For example Rakata would have Battlemaster stats aswell, and vice versa. Less grind, more fun.

PvPers would complain that it is easier/faster to get gear by doing dungeons.

And PvE'ers would complain that it is easier to get gear by farming warzones.

And lowbies would still complain about the gear gap when hitting 50.

PvPers would complain that it is easier/faster to get gear by doing dungeons.

And PvE'ers would complain that it is easier to get gear by farming warzones.

And lowbies would still complain about the gear gap when hitting 50.

Im sure they could fine tune the system.

Since when RPG is about gear? Its about roleplaying as the name sugests. The gear is just a nice addition.

It doesn't have to be gear, it could be stat bonuses or extra abilities for PvP like DAOC did.

You are playing the role of your character. So your CHARACTER gets better, not you. Hence stats like "Accuracy", you as a player didn't get any more accurate, your character did.

Question answered!

Yes it is needed, without it the "Raiders/PvE'ers" would once again...be King at PvP.

It's exactly why all the Raiders/PvE'ers keep campaigning against this "ridiculous" stat- because they don't WANT to focus on PvP to be able to PvP...they want to focus on PvE to grab all the BiS for PvE content while also facerolling a fellow who has devoted all his gaming time to PvP.

Lack of PvP equipment means that PvE players will prevail in the gear category by a huge margin.

Hehe, didnt know pvpers need protection from people they call "carebears"

Unfortunately it only hurts pepole who like both pvp and pve. I think this is just another time sink - you have to grind both pvp and pve gear. They could make all gear have separate stats for pvp and pve, and let people obtain it the way they choose. I, personally wont do WZs becouse they are too repetitive. Becouse of this ill never have good pvp gear, and will be gimped in my favourite pvp activity - random open world pvp. Thanks god they introduced recruit gear, but still i don tlike having two sets of gear for both pvp and pve.

Ok 1. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. ~gasp for air~ Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... ~wipes tear~

And 2. Letting PvPers to have raid gear from PvPing will give the PvErs so much headaches. You have to admit that PvP is a different mindset. There's enough bad PvErs who are doing only PvE and getting it wrong. Toss in those who decide to fail through PvP and eventually get the good PvE gear and then attempt to fail at a high end flashpoint. OUCH.

Then they'll be the whiners who are already complaining that PvP gets rewarded for not winning but PvE don't get rewarded for not winning. You got any idea what will happen if people were allowed to get good raiding gear from PvP? The forums will crash.

Warzones and arenas are the only fair/competitive way to do PvP. Too many variables otherwise.

Oh knows having to think too much for those nasty variables, stuffs like tactics is so hard i guess... Sigh!

Edited by Razot

Stop thinking inside the box. There's ways around this. For instance, everyone gets the same amount of their "base stat" (strength, willpower, etc), and then they get X points to distribute amount crit, surge, alacrity, power as they see fit. They can save that as a "PvP Stat Template" and it gets enabled when they enter a warzone. Let people have multiple stat templates they can choose from a menu so they can differentiate them for if they're tanky, dps, healing, etc. Then it's even more about skill to know your stats and what they do rather than how much you outgear your opponent.

Try to be just a little creative and break the mold. The problem we have is this game is too much a carbon copy of WoW in the first place.

I agree with you. Those who enjoy RPG's wants gear and customization of gear. But even RPers who like to PvP don't only focus on that. Those who enjoy the trill of the hunt don't want a face roll because their gear is more uber. They want a fight based off skill than gear.

I agree with you. Those who enjoy RPG's wants gear and customization of gear. But even RPers who like to PvP don't only focus on that. Those who enjoy the trill of the hunt don't want a face roll because their gear is more uber. They want a fight based off skill than gear.

Exactly. That's why having a PvP stat works so well. At least it works well if gear loaded down with that stat is readily available. Having an easily obtainable recruit set along with the battlemaster set to grind for and then a war hero set that is only slightly better then the battlemaster is absolutely perfect. At least it will be perfect once ranked warzones get implemented.

Stop thinking inside the box. There's ways around this. For instance, everyone gets the same amount of their "base stat" (strength, willpower, etc), and then they get X points to distribute amount crit, surge, alacrity, power as they see fit. They can save that as a "PvP Stat Template" and it gets enabled when they enter a warzone. Let people have multiple stat templates they can choose from a menu so they can differentiate them for if they're tanky, dps, healing, etc. Then it's even more about skill to know your stats and what they do rather than how much you outgear your opponent.

Try to be just a little creative and break the mold. The problem we have is this game is too much a carbon copy of WoW in the first place.

now we are talking, thats good stuff :jawa_eek:

- there are so many ways to do it without hurting the pvp nor the pve community.

Those who say leave pve alone and pvp alone, what if you like both? As of now pvp is the most fun from 10-49. I hardly ever player my WH/BM, mainly because of the grind to all out WH- and no, as a old school open world pvp'er doing a zillion warzones is not my way of fun- I would love to have some time for pve, rp, guild and what not.

I vote ONE commendation to rule em all! - oh, wrong game - here we go! :csw_deathstar:

MMO needs a time sink. It is what retains players and allows subscription money to flow. The more money goes to the company, the more resources gets put into the game and the better the game becomes. So seriously, just grind out the gear. With the introduction of recruit gear and the new "rewards for losers" program, it isn't that hard to get battlemaster in a week.

If you are complaining about gear in the most casual friendly MMO, then you should start thinking that MMO isn't for you because it will always be like this. Unless you can create a system that has no time sink and still retains players or allows subscription money to steadily flow. Time sink does this best. Any game without a Time Sink becomes F2P and costs more money to be competitive in the long run.