Future 3D Space Combat

Rohanshot

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I haven't seen one in ages, and it's a little hard for people to buy, play, or care about a game if one rarely gets made.

So, don't speak for me. I loved X-Wing vs TIEFighter, X-Wing Alliance, and JTL. We had several hundred people in player instigated space battles in JTL often, and tons more in space, but not participating in the pvp.

the last good one was dark star one ,AFAIK,,all after that is mostly unplayable

Edited by simplius

That's very impressive. Unfortunately I think the chances of seeing anything like that in SWTOR are 0.0000%, but maybe for Elite IV. :eek:

The absolute lowest bar of expectation (in fact disappointment) would be queuing up for a "space warzone".

Loading screen -> you sit in a space ship and shoot other players, Moonbreaker style. ->loading screen, back on the ground.

The absolute highest bar of expectation is something like seen in the video. A galaxy to explore, with seemless atmospheric flight over planets, trading, dynamic missions popping up, PvP where it happens, PvP and PvE missions and giant battles. Also owning and customizing ships and manually landing/take offs. And of course, walk on ships. Everything seemless, no loading screens.

This one for example

Watch how the ship goes into the planets atmosphere :eek:

http://www.blog.playscifi.com/infinity-interview/

I have a dream. A dream that EA bought that technology and uses it on the TOR space expansion

I would assume licensing agreements and discussions on buying it and whether it is compatible to TOR game engine.

Honestly though I do feel 3D space battles is whats missing in SWTOR. I am fine with the rail (LOL almost typed fail) gun space missions in the game. Nothing like blowing up other starfighters and watching battle cruisers and capital ships burn, imagining what the crew on board are screaming and what the opposite faction leaders wondering about the failure of the mission when you jump to hyperspace. /sigh

But yeah, player vs player PvP is fine and all. But what really wanted me to jump on this game was the potential to use walkers, gun turrets, air ships and fight other players with them, especially with intense PvP space battles.

This game has huge potential, but like all potential its unfocused and is taking to long to accomplish.

Well seeing that this necro'd 6 month old thread still shows how nothing has changed, I think it's a safe bet to assume BW dropped one of the most important aspects of Star Wars.

Cause necro'ed means forgotten by bioware right? Look I do believe bioware is unfocused and scrambled currently, but I also believe in fair go. Quite frankly overall this game is barely a year old and I am shocked out how they have kept up with content in this time frame. Sure it wasn't new content every month, and expected them to fail and forget that but they actually have kept up a steady pace.

I have a few disagreements with this game, but overall I am having fun and still like playing it.

Oh my god.

Oh my GOD !!!

OH MY GOD, CHRIS ROBERTS IS DOING A NEW SPACE GAME !!!!!!

MIND...BOGGLES...

This made my day. No, it made my week. Thanks!

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

SWG had NO space at launch of any kind, I remmember playing swg looking up at the sky going this is Star Wars where is the war in the stars, it was along time before JTL came out.. at least we have a little space mini game here. Not holdimg my breath for the new space, it will get here when it gets here and it will be what it will be.. shrug

Shouldn't they be focusing on the plethora of known bugs and fixing them before they implement an entirely new game mechanic to really break things?

No, for a couple of reasons. There are different teams that are hired to do different things with their own budgets and timelines. An expansion team is working on items that will generate new revenue. Fixing bugs does not bring in more revenue and therefore those budgets wouldn't exist for those developers.

Second, throwing more programmers at a bug does not make it get fixed any faster and in many cases can make things take longer.

Fix bugs before adding more content is an argument as old as MMOs themselves and it's just not the way things work, no software in the world is completely bug free.

SWG had NO space at launch of any kind, I remmember playing swg looking up at the sky going this is Star Wars where is the war in the stars, it was along time before JTL came out.. at least we have a little space mini game here. Not holdimg my breath for the new space, it will get here when it gets here and it will be what it will be.. shrug

Plus it took 16 months before JTL was released.

Edited by DaRoamer

The absolute lowest bar of expectation (in fact disappointment) would be queuing up for a "space warzone".

Loading screen -> you sit in a space ship and shoot other players, Moonbreaker style. ->loading screen, back on the ground.

The absolute highest bar of expectation is something like seen in the video. A galaxy to explore, with seemless atmospheric flight over planets, trading, dynamic missions popping up, PvP where it happens, PvP and PvE missions and giant battles. Also owning and customizing ships and manually landing/take offs. And of course, walk on ships. Everything seemless, no loading screens.

Yeah if they come up with anything less........... well I can't see the point of them trying in the first place. :(

Yeah if they come up with anything less........... well I can't see the point of them trying in the first place. :(

My only concern is the hero engine, or their version of the hero engine. So far I don´t really think about words like "seamless" or "background loading" when I look at what we have. I highly doubt they could pull off star system travel and going into planets atmospheres without nasty loading screens in between. They should have purchased the i-Novae engine, considering such a great product developer is in financial distress

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

My only concern is the hero engine, or their version of the hero engine. So far I don´t really think about words like "seamless" or "background loading" when I look at what we have. I highly doubt they could pull off star system travel and going into planets atmospheres without nasty loading screens in between. They should have purchased the i-Novae engine, considering such a great product developer is in financial distress

Yeah, certainly that would seem to be the bugbear for RvR, and it may well present the same problems in space.

Give space combat like this please:

:eek:

I just wet my pants. Seriously. And I cried a little.

I will now start building a Chris Roberts shrine and worship this man in a religious, fanatic way.

I will place my credit card under my keyboard and wait for a preorder link to appear.

I will touch my MS Sidewinder 2 forcefeedback joystick every day in anticipation.

:D

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I just wet my pants. Seriously. And I cried a little.

I will now start building a Chris Roberts shrine and worship this man in a religious, fanatic way.

I will place my credit card under my keyboard and wait for a preorder link to appear.

I will touch my MS Sidewinder 2 forcefeedback joystick every day in anticipation.

:D

WOOT!

I get a kick out of the responses....

"My nerd ***** just lifted tipped my desk over and cracked my monitor"

"I AM A PC GAME made me **** so bad!"

"I may buy it just for their gosh darn awesome attitude"

"TAKE MY MONEY NOW PLEASE!"

"gosh darnit, now I have to clean my keyboard"

"**** YES! All my credits."

Could you imagine EA/BW garnering this sort of reaction when/if their SSSP is ever implimented?

(On a side note .. none of the quotes above include the term "gosh darn" this is the first time I've ever seen a forum actually change a term and not simply censor it out. I am offended by this.)

Edited by Voranis

Gotta love the intro:

"They said I was dead"

"They said console was the future"

"Now they say mobile and tablets are the future"

"I say to you, the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

"I AM A PC GAME"

I give them my money just for that intro.. oh and because there is no EA involved.

Edited by Skorz

THIS.. IS.. SCI-FI!!

someone please jump-start me.. car cable.. whatever.. my SCI-FI heart just exploded!

- I'm gonna watch Space: Above and Beyond, Firefly, BSG over and over again until I can blast around in this..

PS: BW.. EA.. do you see... do you realize how good it can be.. imagine this superb 3d sim and SW 1313 hand in hand in perect harmony...

Edited by eclipce