Companion Ear/Implant Bug not fixed

Skyzen

Aargh I cared about this one the most.

Also, it may have nothing to do with testing patches but rather with a communication problem. For example, it was communicated to whoever writes the patch notes that this was included when it really wasn't. I've seen that happen in other games.

Too bad it had to be for a hot-button bug though. /taunt

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, it may have nothing to do with testing patches but rather with a communication problem. For example, it was communicated to whoever writes the patch notes that this was included when it really wasn't. I've seen that happen in other games.

This is one reasonable explanation, although of course for a multi-million dollar product they really should have better best-practices if this is the case.

First of all, thank you all for reporting this. Unfortunately, it looks like this specific fix did not work as intended. We've removed the patch note and this will be updated in our known issues list. A fix will be coming in an upcoming patch.

Apologies, and thank you for your patience.

Annoying bug yes... but it happens, especially with updates with this much content. Change 1 line of code and you break hundreds or thousands.

thanks for the brevity of the response... most of us know the Devs are working this issue. IM just glad there is a response and to know the dev team is working it is good enough for me.

This is one reasonable explanation, although of course for a multi-million dollar product they really should have better best-practices if this is the case.

You should learn about development before making these comments. Money, even if infinite, does not change the fact that not everything will be caught in house. Its a limitation of technology not cash

You should learn about development before making these comments. Money, even if infinite, does not change the fact that not everything will be caught in house. Its a limitation of technology not cash

Very very true. For them to test and find every single bug that could be generated with in the game and do it in house would take year and possibly not even be done with in our life time.

Look, I am far more understanding and patient with the devs than most people, and I virtually never complain. If there is a bug I notice, I will report it and wait patiently for the fix. If there is a workaround I know of, I will calmly post it for others when I see them excitedly attacking the devs, company, or game.

It's important to understand that the problem people (myself included) are having is not that they have failed to fix this bug. I would be the first to tell an impatient person that going through the millions of lines of code to figure out precisely what is interacting with what other thing the wrong way to cause the problem is not easy.

Rather, the problem [most] people have is that it was said to be fixed in the notes when in fact it was not, and that testing should alleviate such a mix-up. Of course there are a million computers with a million different set-ups and just as many people doing even more varied and random things in-game which could cause something to break even after general testing seemed to show things should work correctly.

In this case, though, the problem is universal. It's not that some people happened to equip certain earpieces that they just didn't happen to test, or that someone is hitting a particular key combination before dismounting from his speeder that is causing the problem. Everyone is having the problem such that if even a single tester had loaded the game for 30 seconds and dismounted from a speeder, it would have been caught and either corrected, or at least removed from the patch notes.

If your trying to defend it still being broken your an idiot.. its been going like this forever.. the problem isnt its still a bug, the problem is they SAID its now fixed.. half the crap they said they fix, they never actually fix.. they ghetto rig it an say ' ahh all better '.. just say its broke an your gonna get to it.. stop the bull$h17..

Soa? (still broke as all hell)

That damn boss who summons clones (still chugging out piles of TROOPERS wiping the group)

The Event Title (still broke for alot of people)

The Event Jawa getting sticky with his fingers an stealing your stack of dna for a 20 point item (still was in there)

meh i been doing this back when you had 300 baud modems, so yeah i know about bugs an how hard they are to fix.. its when you blatently lie to everyone your fixing it that pisses me off...

The problem is this entire conversation shouldn't need to take place.

If they claim to fix a bug and in fact do not fix it. This does not mean that there are multiple reasons causing a bug. This means that they did not even bother to do an internal test to see if they in fact fixed the right light of code.

In my own bug response from them, it claims that it has been fixed, however for some players are still receiving the bug.

So they don't test bug patches, they dont keep customer service in the loop. All out fail for them today.

Thanks for the post Devs.

Everyone claiming this is an "easy" bug to fix, I'm curious. What's the last video game you programmed and what language was it in?

This has to do with QUALITY CONTROL and the lack of any at Bio Ware in SWTOR.

Look a very old programing principle was do not break what works while fixing bugs.

What is the point of fixing a bug when you create 10 others to fix?

Do you did holes to fill with dirt to dig a different hole?

did they fix xalek's bug with shield absorption rating yet?

Are you kidding? You think they are actually fixing stuff that DOESN'T make the patch notes? They can't ACTUALLY fix the stuff that does make the notes!

It doesn't appear to matter to them that our Sith apprentice is pretty much crap compared to our first companion. I bet half the people using Xalek don't even know its fubar. And probably 80% of players don't know ALL their companions aren't getting the benefit of three important pieces of gear.

Is it gamebreaking? No. Is it enough to make me hit the cancel button on the subs page? Not in itself, but it isn't like the rest of the game is perfect is it?

Very very true. For them to test and find every single bug that could be generated with in the game and do it in house would take year and possibly not even be done with in our life time.

This is a lie.

Would you let NASA or FAA or any organization actually operate like this with peoples lives on the line.

Hell no! The problem is simply they do not have any Quality Control at all at Bio Ware.

When you write a line of code and do not check to see the other variable that are affected then you fail at programming. This is a simple principle to understand and letting it go is like letting a quack doctor do operations.

The problem like I said is they have little or no quality control and bad management.

I cared about this one the most as well.....I think I've played my main less and less since 1.2 except for a couple of flashpoints and an op. It's just too annoying doing anything with her solo or duo. I'm on the low level alts that don't have companions, or if they do, they don't have earslots yet, let alone implants. Yes, yes, it's a vast conspiracy to make us play alts......../facepalm. Hopefully this one just went to the top of the top of the heap, because I was liiterally cheering when I read the patch notes this morning and now I could really care less what else they fixed. Though I'll be nice.....good job, devs, on whatever else you fixed that I don't care about. Really. I'm sure it was all worked on by separate teams from the earslot/implant one or was of equally blinding importance. Just know if the earslot/implant thing continues much longer, some of my guildies and I will not emoragequit, but it does impact us enough that we'll go watch tv, see movies, read books or do stuff with friends and family for a while until it honestly is fixed. It simply is that annoying, about a 12 on a scale of 1-10.

A related problem might be another bug.

1. Click on your companion and the color of the Icon on the right side SHOULD BE BLUE. (It is presently RED)

2. Click on a party member and the color of the Icon on the right side SHOULD BE BLUE. (it is presently RED)

3. In the SWTOR documents all Friendly targets should be BLUE.

4. In the SWTOR documents all Enemy targets should be RED.

So what we have here is that ALL TARGETS ARE ENEMY. This may be the problem for many bugs.

If they claim to fix a bug and in fact do not fix it. This does not mean that there are multiple reasons causing a bug. This means that they did not even bother to do an internal test to see if they in fact fixed the right light of code.

This is complete speculation. It could just as well mean that testing found a problem late in the release cycle, and that the feature was disabled but that the announcement survived in the patch notes. It could mean that the bug fix was tested and implemented, but accidentally left out of the live build.

Until such time that there is clarification from the Devs, you have no idea what really happened.

Edited by Kthx

This is complete speculation. It could just as well mean that testing found a problem late in the release cycle, and that the feature was disabled but that the announcement survived in the patch notes. It could mean that the bug fix was tested and implemented, but accidentally left out of the live build.

Until such time that there is clarification from the Devs, you have no idea what really happened.

Well they said it is not working as intended, which absolutely rules out the idea that it was accidentally left out of the build.

As far as I can tell, it primarily opens up two possibilities.

One is that the fix was not working as intended and this was discovered before the patch hit, but it accidentally made it into the notes.

The second is that, whether due to a lack of testing or something else (though I can't imagine what) they thought the fix worked, fully intended it to be in the patch notes, and now have learned from user reports that it does not work.

In this case, though, the problem is universal. It's not that some people happened to equip certain earpieces that they just didn't happen to test, or that someone is hitting a particular key combination before dismounting from his speeder that is causing the problem. Everyone is having the problem such that if even a single tester had loaded the game for 30 seconds and dismounted from a speeder, it would have been caught and either corrected, or at least removed from the patch notes.

Yep.. Lets see, took me actually about 90 seconds to test this:

a. Log in, note companion's hit points which is lower than they should be.

b. Unequip implants, earpiece.

c. Equip implants, earpiece. Notice hitpoints are now what they should be.

d. Mount speeder.

e. Dismount Speeder.

f. Companion's hitpoints are back to 'a'.

Sigh. Bioware has the absolute WORST testing that I have ever seen in an MMO, and I have seen a lot of them. This is comical. If it was just one time I could understand, but this keeps happening.

Still waiting for the patch notes to say they have fixed the issue with hardmode loot drops in ops/fps not taking group composition into account. That is equally ridiculous.

This is a lie.

Would you let NASA or FAA or any organization actually operate like this with peoples lives on the line.

Hell no! The problem is simply they do not have any Quality Control at all at Bio Ware.

When you write a line of code and do not check to see the other variable that are affected then you fail at programming. This is a simple principle to understand and letting it go is like letting a quack doctor do operations.

The problem like I said is they have little or no quality control and bad management.

Um......NASA lost one of their missions to Mars because they couldn't convert from Imperial to metric properly....

I think this was one of the most looked over things when brought up after 1.2. However I think it should be very important to the dev team, Even more so for lower level players.

Was sad to see this not correctly fixed. At least they are aware of the problem.

This is a lie.

On the contrary... for your reading pleasure:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19776_6-disasters-caused-by-poorly-designed-user-interfaces.html

I am totally not experiencing this bug. Maybe it's isolated to certain servers?? No one on my server has said anything about this or experienced this.

You say what you said but neglect to mention what SERVER YOU'RE ON!!! :mad::mad:

Hello, McFly????

Seriously???

Do you work for BioWare or what? Or are you here just trying to cause confusion???

/facepalm

Edited by SneakyTurd

You say what you said but neglect to mention what SERVER YOU'RE ON!!! :mad::mad:

Hello, McFly????

Seriously???

Do you work for BioWare or what? Or are you here just trying to cause confusion???

/facepalm

lol I didn't think anyone would care what server I'm on... anyway I'm on Krayiss Obelisk. No problems of this sort there. my companions always retain their items! :)

Also: my guild is linked in my sig... you could have easily looked it up ;)

Edited by Istelle