The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech tanking Vs Juggernaut tanking - Do we have any pros, or just cons?

Kruxxor

Heya guys, I've been wondering if rolling a Powertech tank over a Juggernaut tank gives me any pros that they don't get?

However, from what I can see they have it all, and we're left with the scraps.

Example : Tanking Karaggas Palace HM (In a mix of Columi and Rakata), I find it difficult to tank Foreman Crushers soft enrage / beserk, I can tank the first one with ease, popping my shield as he goes into it, but the second time he does it, it's on cooldown and I'm stuck.

The same can also be said for me tanking Toth in Explosive Conflicts

However, my juggernaut friend has a couple of different cooldowns to use during this phase, letting him tank it MUCH easier on the second / fourth time.

So is there any point in Powertechs being tanks, if we will always be sub par to Juggernauts? Or am I missing something?

Thank you.

I can't comment on other tank classes, but I can say I have no issues with the soft enrage on FC. I use shield for the first, then oil slick and On The Trail to help healers on the second. My gear is similar to yours. Maybe its a healer issue, ie they're not popping cd's to help heal you thru the enrage?

I can't comment on other tank classes, but I can say I have no issues with the soft enrage on FC. I use shield for the first, then oil slick and On The Trail to help healers on the second. My gear is similar to yours. Maybe its a healer issue, ie they're not popping cd's to help heal you thru the enrage?

On the trail? doesn't that require a companion to be with you?

Probably meant Kolto Overload.

Same here. Damage reduction is on boss at all times. Heat screen on 4 stacks. First time shield, second time overload and perhaps a medpac if I need it. Usually my healer can keep it up.

Furthermore, the advantages of Powertech IMO:

- Kiting: Awesome ranged abilities can make it very easy to position mobs where they are easy kills (ie.: towards a ravine where we push them off.)

- Shield/absorb: Our defensive mechanics are great for PvE tanking as I don't tend to lose health that quickly. When I pop shield/kolto combo, I can give my healer enough time to either regain some energy or heal another member.

- A lot of mobility while tanking: I can go in close with Jet Charge but I can also move a lot because of my ranged abilities (rail shot, Explosive dart and even flame burst to some extent)

However, I don't know Juggernaut mechanics, so I can't say if this is better. I just really like PT Tanking :-)

/fanboi off

Oil slick is actually incredibly powerful, and on a 1 minute cooldown. Pop that for every enrage on foreman crusher and then shield first, trinket second. By the time third starts shield is back up. Also if you have snipers, you can have them do their shield bubble.

Same deal with toth and zorn. Ill usually pop slick during toth's enrage, or try to hit it as toth jumps to me (so it gets both). This helps quite a bit, as the transitions are where you can really get gigged, especially if the other tank is a bit slow taunting zorn or you accidentally hit zorn with fearful.

I usually use kolto at some point early on, and then midway and late during ground spike phase, as im taking constant damage from zorn's scream and healers are moving a lot.

I'm also biochem, so i have the armor adrenal to pop somewhere in there as well.

Just try and make sure you have a CD or two up for sub 10% as well.

Jugg cooldowns are generally stronger, but on longer timers, so they have to be a bit more careful. Plus, since they are more based on def and we on shield/absorb and armor, our damage income is a bit steadier, and a bit easier to heal.

Heya guys, I've been wondering if rolling a Powertech tank over a Juggernaut tank gives me any pros that they don't get?

Example : Tanking Karaggas Palace HM (In a mix of Columi and Rakata), I find it difficult to tank Foreman Crushers soft enrage / beserk, I can tank the first one with ease, popping my shield as he goes into it, but the second time he does it, it's on cooldown and I'm stuck.

The same can also be said for me tanking Toth in Explosive Conflicts

However, my juggernaut friend has a couple of different cooldowns to use during this phase, letting him tank it MUCH easier on the second / fourth time.

So is there any point in Powertechs being tanks, if we will always be sub par to Juggernauts? Or am I missing something?

Thank you.

Ok so In HM and NiM KP you need to 2 tank crusher, so every other time you are tanking the enrage your shield will be up. After he finishes his enrage and goes off to charge a random raid member, the 2nd tank picks him up and he goes through till the enrage. It is very easy to do and you won't have any issues.

As to the rest of your post, My raid uses 2 PT tanks, myself and another. We have cleared KP and EV on NiM and have the timed titles for both. We are currently 3/4 in HM EC, and I can say that we haven't come into any issues with being BH tanks. You are geared for the content you are running, so that isn't the issue. Now Toth and Zorn are just beasts and hit super hard. Have you healers put on their big boys pants and get ready to heal a ton.

You absolutely do not need to tank swap on Foreman Crusher. As the poster said above you can Oil Slick on EVERY frenzy he does, and if you are Biochem (you should be if you're trying to optimize yourself IMO) you can pop Shield / Adrenal / Shield on his Frenzies. If you have a Shield/Absorb Relic you can pop that too. The only issue with the fight is if your healers position poorly and get knocked out of range to heal you or something.

For everything else in the game (NM EV, NM KP, HM EC) Powertechs do just fine. My guild has 1 of each tank (Jugg, Assassin, PT) and we rotate roles DPSing or Tanking all in mostly Rakata. Each of us can handily tank any content currently in the game. There's Pros and Cons to each, it's all about your preference.

I am the main tank for our guild and when we do foreman crush I normally solo tank it.

On the first enrage I will use my shield

On the second enrage I will use Kolto and pop my trinket.

I will warn the hearers when I am in the trinket phase so they know I will need more healing. Then I just wash rense and repeat the above till he is dead

Right now I have

22k health stemmed

46 Shield change

46 Absorbs with the HB FB buff up

After reading this post I am going to start trying oil slick i never really given that ability much credit.

As somebody said up earlier, sounds more like a healer issue -- he hits hard cooldowns are made to help but healers also have their own cooldowns to worry about as the dps kiter/off tank shouldnt require much attention

On my jugg tank i suck with aoe pulls especially since our aoe taunt and aoe dmges were nerfed by 15 seconds and by 10% more dmg. However, the buff we got to 6% melee dmg attacks means we excel at our role with single boss fights. That said, it's not as if our powertech shield on shorter cd is useless. Plus 50+ % on shield and absorb is freaking amazing, no juggernaut will ever touch such numbers, especially the near 60s as some powertechs seem to manage. There is also better dmg reduction in the powertechs to keep them as viable solo tank bosses.

Again, could be a healing issue or maybe you are popping your cd's a lil early and not using them to their fullest potential in said frenzy attacks. But any tank is just fine with all boss encounters, it really boils down to the character driver and gear that makes any tank different than another.

Edited by harmonichonda

LOL. Let's see here, PT tanks have:

- Most consistent damage mitigation that relies on armor, shield absorption and short cooldown abilities

- Strongest AoE abilities (DoA, Flamethrower, Flame Sweep, Explosive Dart, Carbonize, plus AoE taunt), making us the best at holding aggro against multiple targets

- Most ranged capabilities

- Charge AND a pull. Other tanking classes only get one.

In fact, most people I talk to consider Powertechs to be far and away the strongest tanks.

I had a 50 Jugg and MT'd for our guild, and leveled up a PT to 50 for dps as pyro, as it looked like top dog for that. To get gear for it though, I had to switch to tank spec, as we've got a shortage of tanks in the guild. GM is an Op healer, and found me much easier to heal on the PT, and pretty much my PT these days has over-taken my Jugg as the guilds MT.

Which is sad, as I like the Jugg style more, but I can't argue that PT does it better. So nice to be able to -something- most every GCD. Also the more stable mitigation is nice, most fights I never have to even use my bubble unless it's something like FC which has specific phases for it, or I mess up and have a Dot on Zorn when he jumps. Jugg on the other hand I often found a CD needed for healer to stabilize when his 37% evasion decided to crap out on him.

LOL. Let's see here, PT tanks have:

- Most consistent damage mitigation that relies on armor, shield absorption and short cooldown abilities

- Strongest AoE abilities (DoA, Flamethrower, Flame Sweep, Explosive Dart, Carbonize, plus AoE taunt), making us the best at holding aggro against multiple targets

- Most ranged capabilities

- Charge AND a pull. Other tanking classes only get one.

In fact, most people I talk to consider Powertechs to be far and away the strongest tanks.

This ^

I have tanked with both @ 50. Respec'd my Jugg to DPS, because it's so much better tanking with a PT.