Allow us to RE orange to get some mats back.

troyh

I can confirm, just put in a low level armoring mod into the orange gear, and you can RE it. Search my post history, I made this same question and other players told me the work-around.

The Mats returned are appropriate for the level of the orange. For example, I RE'd some War Hero gear, and got back the Grade 6 mats I used to make it in the first place. (This was also confirmed by Stephen Reid, check the dev tracker)

No this does not work for ALL orange armor. Maybe for some PvP vendor bought schema based oranges (like the one you tried) or some of the new orange schemas, but definetly not all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a limitation that prevents reverse engineering these items currently. We are working on addressing the issue.

This is great. Can we get an idea of when this will be fixed? Is this something planned for 1.3? Or sooner in a patch? Like others my vaults are filling up with crafted orange gear and weapons trying to get the augmented versions. And I can confirm that putitng in a hilt or armoring does NOT make it moddable. Seriously, this was a terrible oversight, but I'm glad you are working on addressing the issue.

Id love to see us being able to RE orange to get some mats back. I had so many orange pieces of armor i had 5 pages of auctions on and most were priced at 55 credits and i think i sold 2-3. there is no market on my server for orange at this time. i ened up selling almostv all of them to a vendor and placing about 30 in the Gbank. a waste of mats is all it was.

I've done some REing of the PVP non-augmented pieces that have been cluttering up my mailboxes, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I get 1 or 2 ingredients back per RE. Generally speaking, REing Battlemaster stuff gets me about 1000 credits back per piece. To put that in perspective, it takes a total of 14 pieces of raw material, not counting the agent. In order to accomplish that, I have to make mods on my other characters and then ship them to my synthweaver/armormech. It's a pain.

So, yeah, I tried it as an experiment, but it's more likely I'm just going to leave them floating in the mailbox.

We are flooding the world with orange gear because everyone is just crafting to get augments. This is clogging the game and hurting the market. Please patch the game so we can RE the orange gear to get back some mats.. that way we don't have 50 pages of orange non augmented stuff that no one wants. The worst of them all is War Hero and Battlemaster non augmented crafted gear.. seriously who will ever want that? The only reason anyone would make that is to get the augment slot since it has valor requirements.

Thank you

Wholeheartedly agree. What a waste of time and materials if we can't RE this stuff. OP has the solution and this answer from the Friday Q& A doesn't seem to help....lets make that work. " A huge part of the reverse-engineering feature is that it encourages players to remove these excess goods from the economy, which hopefully will bring supply and demand closer to what they actually should be, and should create more space in the GTN without lots of competition." Very tired of wasting all of my crafting materials on stuff no one wants and I can't give away.

Now we just need to be able to learn to craft the atm non craftable orange items, so we are no longer forced to wear the same ugly items(atleast on republic side), since we are now (since 1.2) forced to only use craftable orange items... Edited by rickihn

And there should be a chance to return some of the rare mats that were used to craft that orange gear.

Currently, even REing an artifact gear would only give you 1 or 2 piece of green mats. They DO NOT consider the mats at all. I guess it is just an another LAZY RNG. I would rather sell them to vendor.

I tried REing some Orange pants I made after latest patch today and it did not let me RE them, even though it says in the patch notes "Custom (orange) moddable items that have no modifications installed can now be reverse engineered."

Wow, talk about overly specific patches. 1.2.3 (today's patch) has a note saying that orange moddable gear is now RE'able. I can't confirm whether that this is actually the case (I'll test later, just haven't been on any of my toons that have been grinding orange gear for augments yet), but I can say that my Cyber who's been working on augmented droid parts is stuck with an inventory full of green moddable gear that he still can't RE.

General

•Custom (orange) moddable items that have no modifications installed can now be reverse engineered.

Doesn't work. I tried it on about 5 different pieces of orange synthweaving gear that had no mods in it and had never been equipped. For example, with Fortified Electrum Greaves, I get the following red error message - "That item cannot be reverse engineered".

Bioware: please test your patches before deployment. I've lost count of how many times you've said something is fixed and it isn't.

Edited by Corlantis

Anybody willing to bet that ONLY the few orange items that previously could be RE'd by sticking an armoring in them can now be RE'd w/o sticking an armoring in them? (Incidentally, I *think* that was also the only orange stuff that's tooltip said it could be RE'd.)

I sorta suspect this might be "working as intended".

(edit: as far as I'm aware, that's only the battlemaster/war hero stuff)

Edited by GnatB

It works for my Warhero Gear (Vindicator & Supercommando).

It doesnt work for other items (i.e. Peacekeeper's Chestguard, Peacekeeper's Graves, Traditional Thermoweave Lower Robe)

We are flooding the world with orange gear because everyone is just crafting to get augments. This is clogging the game and hurting the market. Please patch the game so we can RE the orange gear to get back some mats.. that way we don't have 50 pages of orange non augmented stuff that no one wants. The worst of them all is War Hero and Battlemaster non augmented crafted gear.. seriously who will ever want that? The only reason anyone would make that is to get the augment slot since it has valor requirements.

Why not just give Armormechs and Synthweaver the possibility to craft an "augmenter" for gear on their own?

Like it is possible as Blacksmith in this game that starts with a W.

That way, players in the endgame would look really different, like Bioware promised it before the launch, since now we could use our normal orange gear. But at the moment nearly every second player has the same looking, crafted armor. So much to that, Bioware ...

Why not just give Armormechs and Synthweaver the possibility to craft an "augmenter" for gear on their own?

Like it is possible as Blacksmith in this game that starts with a W.

That way, players in the endgame would look really different, like Bioware promised it before the launch, since now we could use our normal orange gear. But at the moment nearly every second player has the same looking, crafted armor. So much to that, Bioware ...

They mentioned some time ago that they plan to do something like that. ETA: unknown.

For armor, I make better money selling pre-50 Orange gear than any of the 50 Orange gear. And that's just Head, Chest, & Legs (all augmented) for pre-50! I think it is because many do not want to wear the new level 50 gear. One reason is because, in some players opinions, the new level 50 gear looks fugly. And another reason is because many players want to look different than the next player.