Regarding server queues

StephenReid

We are currently playing on a free pre-access period, and for that I am grateful.

But as others have said I pay to play, not to wait.

By the 20th this needs to be better. 2/3 EU servers had signfiicant queues a little earlier, and that is still the case for the English Language EU servers.

I am impressed that the mechanism controlling access to servers and giving information about queues is so good. I prefer to know I have a 5 min wait, to logging on to a laggy DCing nightmare. But it needs sorting by proper launch day, because 30 min+ waits are completely unacceptable on an ongoing basis.

RIFT had free server transfers, a cool solution....hint hint.

I do not know what kind of deal you got buy I payed 5 Euros for my Early Acces from Origin.

We are at this time paying customer who are unable to use their bought product.

Silly.

Give concrete information instead of these "Cant say more now" posts.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The following is a brief statement from Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer, Live Services:

"We know there have been questions about the queues on the servers, so we wanted to take a moment to give you some insight.

In order to ensure that the service would be smooth and stable, we staged how we brought people into the Early Game Access program, adding people in waves. As you know, there are a lot of folks who want to play the game right now and we want to make sure they have lots of people to play with. Balancing this with figuring out when to bring new servers online to help alleviate the size of the queues is part art and part science. On one hand, you do not want people to wait too long – on the other hand, you want to make sure that people have a dynamic, engaging community to play with for long after launch. Either way, we have one clear objective – to make sure folks have fun.

While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."

Dear Stephen,

As much as I like your humor I cannot agree with your post.

I am paying for your game and your service and I expect to get the service I pay for. Are you sure you are not violating our contract? Our agreement is that I give you this sum of money and you provide me access to your servers...technically I do not have access to the servers because all of them have queue times at the moment.

I am pretty sure you can increase the server population so that I can enter, but why aren't you doing it? Well I know :)

Don't take my post seriously, I am just kidding :) I am aware that it's for the best of me after the game launches...

Peace is a lie!

TOFN needs particular attention. The competitive PvP community has chosen this server as the premier EU PvP server which one would expect to be popular, however the Spanish and Italian communities have also made thier home here.

6 hour queues here. Utterly rediculous.

Have to say I totally agree with most of the posters here..

My character is only level 8 but it took me a good 2 hours or so of gameplay to get there and more importantly I want to be experiencing new things in this exiting game not re doing the same things, I want to play alongside my friends and we've all chosen an EU server (the Red Eclipse) and this is only the second time I've connected to the game, first time took me 2h 14m and this time has taken me so far 48m and i'm position 617 in the queue.

I think this game is fantastic so far, but I'm one of the millions of gamers who DONT designate 8 hour slots of my life to each session of gaming which would make the 2 hour queue not seem so bad, sometimes I fancy just hopping on the game for an hour or so.. however with SWTOR that means currently, queueing for an hour or so and then going to play a BG on WoW or something

bottom line:

I have a subscription to SWTOR and WoW at the moment, by january I will only be subscribing to ONE of the two games (it just makes sense) I've only played WoW for 3 months but I like it so far, SWTOR seems more fun but if I can't get to a serious enjoyable level on a server with a few friends by january because of queues? well I'll be playing WoW with chuck norris and william shatner whilst saying a sad goodbye to SWTOR :(

Mr Reid,

Sorry. Not understanding. I must be missing something.

The server that BW allocated to my guild, that most of us started playing on within the first 2 days of early access is now experiencing long queue times to get in.

How is you adding another server now going to change the fact that the server i and 40ish guildmates have invested 100s of hours into now is clearly over populated!

The timer indicates the region of 30 minutes for the server we are on, i have been in this queue now for 55 mins. Not acceptable. Last night i suffered a disconect at place 3 which was soul destroying, took nearly 1 hour 45 mins to actually get to the game.

I clearly dont understand how this works, all i know is i wont be subscribing unless something changes. I regret purchasing a CE.

It was mentioned many times how Bioware wanted a smooth launch for this title, this is not smooth. Please explain to me as we get closer to launch date what will happen to shorten the queing times to the effected servers?

Or are you just planning on people walking away from the game?

From my post~

Dear BW,

Can we please increase server capacity so that people who play on certain servers can actually play the game? The one day I had off work, I queued in @ 6 in the morning and I almost in @ around 11 when my game client crashed and I had to re-queue again and didn't get in until 6 pm @ night.

I understand this is a new game, but I'm not getting what I paid for out of your product. I didn't pay money to sit in queues all day long.

Can we also get some grace period after we LD or crash while we are in-game? Just a couple of minutes so that if we are in a raid or group it doesn't break apart because we crashed and had to wait 5 hours to get back in. Can you also update your tool-tip to show how long the wait is accurately? Because it says 2 hours, but I've been waiting for 4 hours already today.

If you can't increase server capacity could you at least allow people to transfer off of servers which are full? I would gladly pay.

Also it would be nice if we had a cluster of servers linked for battlegrounds, so that queues are faster.

I know its only been 4 days, but I hope you can address these issues soon because queues are only going to get longer and people more irritated.

It's sad to see such a polished MMO be plagued by nasty queues, almost as bad as a buggy game because in the end - YOU STILL CANNOT PLAY -.

Thank you.

I think that Bioware is expecting lots of people not to play after the early access is done and a lot of people already decided before the queu woes. Hence they don't want to set up new servers, that aside, it SUX that we have to wait hours in some cases, not cool. Though, if the early access does not count in the "free" 30 days you get with the purchase and provided the queus will be gone after the real launch, I don't mind that much.

Well, I can say if this doesnt fix itself quickly, I wont be playing. I have early access and have been able to get in exactly TWO times. Whats the point of having early access if I can never get in. I will not be paying to sit in queues for hours at a time. There is no excuse for these queues either. Stress testing and the beta should have given BW the information they would need to insure that this didnt happen. So far, I'm extremely disappointed in how this has launched and how BW has been handling the situation.

And before anyone chimes in with references to the WoW launch or any other launch for that matter, don't bother. This isnt those games. Lessons should have been learned from previous company's mistakes and the number of preorders has been pretty steady for months. There is not an excuse to have thousand player queues for any server, period.

Edited by randomforumname

We are still a few days away from release so it will only get that much worse. Bioware, you need to handle this right away. Stuff like this is what can seriously drive down subscriptions. I can handle 5-10 minute queues but we are seeing queues take 45 minutes up to hours. That is ridiculous.

Early access has been almost unplayable for most people because of queues, will bonus time (subscription) be awarded to people who payed to get in early and didn't get what they payed for? Edited by Gamex

Been hyping 6 RL friends that will play together with me and my guild.

We got assigned to Freedon of Nadd, they can't believe the ques and already want to switch server or quit the game.

So here I am, either sticking with my guild or with my RL friends.

Your ****** system ruins the fun in online/social gaming.

Now I am Mad.

WIll you offer money back to your customers as they cant even try your product? By common standards this would be the only logic alternative.

"While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."

You call waiting to play for 2 hours reasonable?

If you can't promise there won't be queues, when game is officially launched, i feel cheated.

I'm astounded that you would even consider this, when people pay for subscriptions which should basicly pay for the servers.

Why else would we be paying?

my server (Red Eclipse) now has 24/7 a 1 hour queue :(

So no matter what hour I want to play, i'd need to open the game an hour in advance of when I actually want to play :(

To make matters worse, if my friend suddenly comes online who i have made a character with on another server just for us to play together on, then I have to logout, after we are done and I want to use my server again... another hour :(

That being said, this is (so far) the smoothest mmo launch I have seen!

But please, fix the queues :(

It is very annoying and I dont really want to make yet another character yet. As it is I have 3 characters I am actively playing (each of different classes).

It is all very frustrating and I'm even bothering today. Our internet has been having issues (repair is on the way) and I'm not about to wait in a queue for hours and then be disconnected. Sadly, not really getting any playing in this weekend at all.

BioWare is between a rock and a hard spot. I remember Rift being pretty awful with the queues, especially if you picked a popular server. They started opening up all new servers and then a few months later, they became ghost towns. As early access finishes up and people actually pay for the game, it may be a bit easier to judge.

Been hyping 6 RL friends that will play together with me and my guild.

We got assigned to Freedon of Nadd, they can't believe the ques and already want to switch server or quit the game.

So here I am, either sticking with my guild or with my RL friends.

Your ****** system ruins the fun in online/social gaming.

Now I am Mad.

WIll you offer money back to your customers as they cant even try your product? By common standards this would be the only logic alternative.

Exact same thing for me except on the most populated server in the game .. fatman. Bioware does need to get us stuff to make up for it

Its not just the Dev's fault. Many floaters (none attached players) are idiots and don't look at servers when joining. Thus they making servers pop go mental and make everyone's life a nightmare.

The way this could have been avoided is down to the Dev's tho. Imo they should have put all the attached players in first 2 days of early access. then the floaters this way would have been less room for people to pick servers with Que's.

Only way I see them fixing this quick is bring a few extra critical servers on line IE PVP and RPPVP and allowing transfers from all servers to these servers. But they best hurry as this sort of PR is really bad for a MMO early days and can really put people off.

EDIT: I still don't understand why if a server is full they let people join it ? I if its to cater for people to play with their friends ? well hard luck they should let them make a real life choice IE go on low pop server to play with their friends or don't play with them. I mean if I want to eat out and my friends are there and ain't no room I just go somewhere else with my friends.

Edited by Frankforcer

OK, now I'm angry. I waited three hours in a queue and finally... "Server error". Now I'm back to 1299 in the queue. I haven't managed to play in days and it doesn't look like I'm going to today either.

Join another server? It was enough of a nightmare getting all my friends onto this one!

Bioware are spending their reputation very quickly.

Its not just the Dev's fault. Many floaters (none attached players) are idiots and don't look at servers when joining. Thus they making servers pop go mental and make everyone's life a nightmare.

The way this could have been avoided is down to the Dev's tho. Imo they should have put all the attached players in first 2 days of early access. then the floaters this way would have been less room for people to pick servers with Que's.

Only way I see them fixing this quick is bring a few extra critical servers on line IE PVP and RPPVP and allowing transfers from all servers to these servers. But they best hurry as this sort of PR is really bad for a MMO early days and can really put people off.

too bad bioware assigned most of us our servers..