Armor Sets are terrible...

Ushae

Yep, just awful. Not sure why everything needs to look so over-the-top.

Exactly... how it is lower level armors can be so great and all endgame sets looks like plastic garbage... seriously. An Mercenary for example - check his lvl40 pvp basic gear. Briliant! Just taken out of artwork, pretty simple yet known design. If only wouldn't be plastic white and had same dark colors like on all game materials it would be best looking set in the game (imo).

Guys who designed this, or bossess of these guys who put pressure on them to make such garbage should change a job... seriously. Maybe for some toy making but with this taste they won't please even a child.

endgame items doesn't looks like Star Wars. It's some kind of Lego Bionicle in awfull hands of guys from Megablocks

Edited by Marrond

Not all of them are completely terrible. The new Bounty Hunter set and the new Trooper set look pretty slick. And in a strange way I kinda like the new inquisitor PvP set, but beyond that yes most of them look pretty bad.

The only armorsets I think are truly bad are the IA armor set. The Inquisitor bladed rags also is not my favorite (and JK).

However, the horned Sith Warrior and Spider inquisitor attract me and I love the BH and Trooper armor sets, same with Jedi Consular.

Exactly... how it is lower level armors can be so great and all endgame sets looks like plastic garbage... seriously. An Mercenary for example - check his lvl40 pvp basic gear. Briliant! Just taken out of artwork, pretty simple yet known design.

Did nobody else notice the limited time open betas coinciding with news articles being released to promote this game? How high level do you think the writers got in the 2 or 3 days?

Dunno how it is with the other classes, but I really hate about the trooper sets is that they only look good with the no.3 bodytype (the "hercules" one) and maybe with the no.4 (bald) aswell (but then again I wouldn´t like a bald trooper).

Point is, my trooper has the no.2 (normal) bodytype and many sets look kinda disproportionate.

Yep, just awful. Not sure why everything needs to look so over-the-top.

The whole draw of Star Wars, at least conceptually, was that it was specifically designed as a "lived-in universe" or a "used universe". Up to that point virtually all science fiction was depicted as clean and shiny and looking as if it had been built the day before, while the Star Wars universe is dirty and grungy and despite its futuristic nature holds an undeniable logic in its design. Contrast, for example, the various iterations of the Enterprise from Star Trek--which is invariably pretty and spotless--against the beat-up, grimey X-Wings and Y-Wings of the Rebel Alliance. Rebel troopers wear white on Hoth and green/brown on Endor because Hoth is white and Endor is green/brown; they're not catassing around in neon orange or yellow.

That's why these 1.2 designs--almost all of which are ludicrously over-the-top--are so jarring and seem so out of place: it's because they are out of place. The aesthetic is completely wrong, and the designers have really, really missed the mark here.

i love the game!

i can only speak for the new guardian gear, as it's the only one i have seen properly... it's HORRIBLE! my gawd bioware.. what are you thinking.... some of the gear look is a joke.... the shoulder 'wings' and the knee pad extensions.. are you serious? who on earth is doing your costume design? who is approving it??? i think you need to explain your design philosophy when it comes to some of these costumes...

The whole draw of Star Wars, at least conceptually, was that it was specifically designed as a "lived-in universe" or a "used universe". Up to that point virtually all science fiction was depicted as clean and shiny and looking as if it had been built the day before, while the Star Wars universe is dirty and grungy and despite its futuristic nature holds an undeniable logic in its design. Contrast, for example, the various iterations of the Enterprise from Star Trek--which is invariably pretty and spotless--against the beat-up, grimey X-Wings and Y-Wings of the Rebel Alliance. Rebel troopers wear white on Hoth and green/brown on Endor because Hoth is white and Endor is green/brown; they're not catassing around in neon orange or yellow.

That's why these 1.2 designs--almost all of which are ludicrously over-the-top--are so jarring and seem so out of place: it's because they are out of place. The aesthetic is completely wrong, and the designers have really, really missed the mark here.

Possibly the most sensible thing I've read on here ever.

At least with 1.2 you can now rip the components out of the end game armour and put them in any orange stuff instead. I'm already enjoying everyone not looking ridiculous and the same.

I have seen many posts on this subject and its as unanimous as a MMO forum will ever be. Its so god awful, and everyone thinks so lol. I have heard some people say "Oh, you just want it to look like stuff from the movies" and thats just not the case. The BM BH gear looks nothing like anything from the movies and people seem to like it. Same with the Agent and Warrior BM gear.

And maybe its not such a bad idea to draw from the movies. Think about the most popular sets. The lvl 40 PvP BH gear and the lvl 40 PvP Trooper gear are crowd pleasers. The BH stuff is tweaked Boba gear, and the Trooper stuff comes directly from the Clone Wars TV series.

Bioware has to take note. I mean its the one and only thing the forum community had agreed on so far!

Just to show you guys what BioWare is working with... Check out this video from G4TV. XPlay's hostess Morgan Webb visits their studios in Austin, TX.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58178/bioware-studio-tour/

Ok right around the 2:04 mark Webb runs into the WALL OF ARMOR CONCEPTS! Its this long board full of drawings. So it makes me wonder with all these designs how they arrive at choosing armor sets. Is it by the old "let's throw darts at it" method?! Just kidding! But I wouldn't be surprised with how terribad these new sets are... :D

Oh and as for pointing the art team in the right direction, I'd tell them to check out the Dark Horse Star Wars comics. There are plenty of story lines right around this era in the saga that would look awesome!

Edited by Lastchylde
bad grammar

It's probably difficult for swtor designers to match up to the original concept designs because, well, that artist was brilliant, plus he didn't have to come up as many armor sets as our current designers do. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. It's like hiring them to be different person - a specific person.

It's probably difficult for swtor designers to match up to the original concept designs because, well, that artist was brilliant

No, he was just minimalist + note how subtle changes were between costumes in all SW saga. Note that in concept arts there are way better items. Note even that Darth Malgus standing on your desk have more ****** items than this garbage. Btw. it's very funny that on Black Talon you will receive best looking coat in all game for Imperial Agent (IA items overal are ugly)

A kingdom for this man, a girl and a beer - hail to the king. I wish I could describe things in English as gentle as you...

Edited by Marrond

I agree with them being much more subtle, yes.

I remember when the forum had a poll asking players if they preferred simple armor - or armor with all the bells and whistles. I answered dark, and simple. But I was surprised just how many answered that they liked outrageous, complicated armor. (Maybe not the way it was described in the poll, haha, that's my personal bias.)

But, the community answered, they asked for crazy **** like this, and here we are.

The great thing about SW is that while some things are over the top (Amidala) most everyone is sensible.

BW, you do NOT need to follow the current trend WoW, EQ2, Rift and others are on with "more and bigger is better". You don't need to redesign the universe. There are so many great armors and clothing in the EU via comics and books that there's no reason or need to take outside sources like other MMO's as inspiration for designs.

Yes, people will complain either way, but I can say I and many others would not complain with "less is more"

BW, you do NOT need to follow the current trend WoW, EQ2, Rift and others are on with "more and bigger is better". You don't need to redesign the universe.

By the way it would be funny to hear that Lucas suited EA/BW for violating license on SW franchise by creating crap design of the universe xD

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment

It's normal in my case. My English is awfull :(

What I meant to say is that they created pretty nice and ALREADY awesome ****** designs of armor and you can see it even on the CE box (4 sides with diffrent artworks of Malgus, Trooper, Bounty Hunter and Satila Shan)

Edited by Marrond

It's normal in my case. My English is awfull

What I meant to say is that they created pretty nice and ALREADY awesome ****** designs of armor and you can see it even on the CE box (4 sides with diffrent artworks of Malgus, Trooper, Bounty Hunter and Satila Shan)

That's okay, thanks for clarifying.