Definitely one BIG problem with the event

Calsetes

I miss the good old days where griefing was just part of the fact an MMO is a player driven environment, completely dynamic and constantly random. you either ragequit or you learn to adapt and have fun.

these online single player games really took the fun out of MMO's, i think EvE is the only true MMO out there, why can't developers just put on the game packaging minimum requirements: "An IQ above 60" and start ignoring the QQers who most of the time allow themselves to be griefed?

He did adapt. He went to a PvE server and not a PvP server.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this shouldn't be happening on a PvE server, but you do have enough time to get away before someone explodes, especially if you actually expect it. I haven't read all your posts so I might be missing something, but even if he was on a speeder, you should know that the game automatically dismounts you and "stuns" you for a few seconds before having you explode, it's not instant.

I agree that this shouldn't be happening on a PvE server, but you do have enough time to get away before someone explodes, especially if you actually expect it. I haven't read all your posts so I might be missing something, but even if he was on a speeder, you should know that the game automatically dismounts you and "stuns" you for a few seconds before having you explode, it's not instant.

First time it happens, you're not expecting it. That's how I got caught out last Sunday. I had NO idea how I was Flagged/Dead in a matter of seconds. After getting ganked a bit, my QT came up and I was able to get out of there and do some research.

Then I understood. And haven't gotten splattered on or ganked since but boy was I ever confused that first time. Heh.

First time it happens, you're not expecting it. That's how I got caught out last Sunday. I had NO idea how I was Flagged/Dead in a matter of seconds. After getting ganked a bit, my QT came up and I was able to get out of there and do some research.

Then I understood. And haven't gotten splattered on or ganked since but boy was I ever confused that first time. Heh.

I can imagine, I simply assumed from OP's wording that he knew what he was risking and that he attempted moving away. :rolleyes:

I am amazed at how people are whining just about anything these days.

If you can't deal with some occasional PvP even if you are on a PvE server then just go play some single player game where nothing can surprise you really.

I can imagine, I simply assumed from OP's wording that he knew what he was risking and that he attempted moving away. :rolleyes:

I didn't get that impression but that doesn't mean much...I tend to see positives in everything. Kinda, well, a happy little idiot, me. :D

Alright, so there I am out in the dunes, minding my own business on a PvE server. My flag's off - I'm not a big fan of PvP - and I'm waiting for Trapjaw to appear. A bunch of Imperials come out of nowhere. No biggie, they can have him, I'll just let my guys know so they can get the next one. Along comes a flagged for PvP guy. He's feverish. He runs up to me. I ask him to please back away, I don't want him to flag me or something when he explodes. I move away, he follows. I don't have enough time to use a vaccine before he explodes, flagging me for PvP, and the Imperials all start to attack me.

I don't retaliate, and just say "Stop."

Please, if you're going to have an event like this again, keep one thing I've said before in mind: If someone explodes from the plague and I get infected, ok - I caught their virus. What I should NOT catch, however, is their lust for PvP. I lost about ten minutes' worth of time waiting for my flag to go off - while dead - that I could have been participating in the event. And the respawn spot it throws you out at? Maybe ten feet away from where Trapjaw spawns, so I'd be killed immediately without any sort of time to get away from there.

I like everything in the event, except this one aspect . Exploding on a non-flagged player should not flag them for PvP - vaccine or not.

Thanks, and sorry for the rant.

10min huh, poor player...

I miss the good old days where griefing was just part of the fact an MMO is a player driven environment, completely dynamic and constantly random. you either ragequit or you learn to adapt and have fun.

Griefing is an online form of bullying. You enjoy it, I suspect, because you participate in it. For those of us who don't want to participate on either the giving or receiving end, griefing has no rewarding qualities. Fortunately, BioWare has, with some exceptions, done a good job at protecting our enjoyment from people who think like you.

Why can't developers just put on the game packaging minimum requirements: "An IQ above 60" and start ignoring the QQers who most of the time allow themselves to be griefed?

Pick any method of your choosing to measure intelligence, and I am confident I will do just fine.

The event is kind of a PvP event considering its main design is to draw the 2 factions together into the same place. If you want to avoid PvP the event may be difficult for you.

It certainly makes things interesting and a bit of a change though.... :)

The player was on a PVE server.

I'd say avoiding PVP was the essence of rolling on a PVE server, no?

EVE is still hugely success and of course I still play it, but its a niche market because of its extreme learning curve, one thing that impresses me with CCP is that they use the fact you can grief, rob "guild" banks etc as a selling point, they're attitude is "heres your sandbox, go and play"

I don' t think most here would describe EVE as a "huge success", except in its niche. It's a niche market, because most players don't enjoy worrying about scams and betrayals. There was nothing particularly difficult about the learning curve.

Edited by Kthx

I agree with the OP and those who have said it previously - PvP should be consensual, always. Additionally, in my opinion, folk who can't "have fun" unless it's without your consent... well... I can't think of a single situation under which that ought to be acceptable... can you?

You're absolutely right.

And they just don't get it.

Because their fun comes from your pain. In any civilized society, they'd be locked up or treated, but here we are.

I am amazed at how people are whining just about anything these days.

If you can't deal with some occasional PvP even if you are on a PvE server then just go play some single player game where nothing can surprise you really.

When you are on a PvE server PvP should be an opt-in not a "oh look an opposing faction member is around and they can flag me without my even wanting to be" option. The guy may not of known it would flag the OP for PvP, but even if he didnt know he took advantadge of it after the fact. So either way you look at it the OP was being griefed. He was forced into a situation that he obviously didn't want, whe trying to engage in a solo activity and minding his own business.

FWIW, I do some occasional PvP in WZ's and once in a blue moon I'll go to Ilums or Tatooines open area. But that is when I decide to not when someone else decides I should, especially so they can try to get the jump on me. It happened the first night of the event to me. Once I realized what happened though It didn't work out so well for a few of the people that tried it after that.

Edited by Hyfy

I agree with the OP. People join a PVE server to avoid being forced into PVP... So there should not be any features that force you into PVP. Regardless if others find it "fun" to put me into PVP or not, I should not be forced into PVP if I do not find it fun...

For what its worth, I have six imp toons on a Imp heavy server. I used my dusty lvl 24 jedi sage to do this event. I am soloing the dailies and I get ganked by 50s periodically but its enjoyable. Fat xp, possibly fat cash, and its fun to dodge 50 imp kids. All part of the excitement.

Now in contrast, when I do the dailies on my pvp monster imp toons, I don't touch the repubs in the area. I don't want to waste my time or theirs. Now on hoth or other zones when the dailies are not around, I'll go crazy and try to solo a pair if I can.

One time I was soloing the 4 man heroic area as 48 and saw two 44-46 maybe repub toons. I could not resist jumping them. Of course they beat me but it was all fun.

Afterwards, they watched as I continuned to solo but then I guess they got spunky and tried to take me out while I was fighting a mob. I was on an agent so I could overload and drop combat. They picked up my mobs aggro and I promptly kicked their butt. Then it was a simple matter of killing them on respawn. Not nice but me dorking with them out of combat when I am higher level but they are 2v1 and no one is in combat seemed fair. Trying to jump me while I am in combat, well that is kind of bad so I did not feel any pity until i killed them a few times.

That's just all part of the fun IMO. Stuff like this is what separates multiplayer games from boring single player game where the outcome is always the same

Fun for you doesn't mean fun for others. I'm tired of being infected by someone that has to meet their infection count for the quest.

depends on how you view it, OP could of ran away, he could of done something. instead he stood there and did nothing and IMO he quite rightly died, should of just learnt from the experience, respawned and carried on playing

instead he decided to make a post highlighting his poor gameplay hoping the developers will gut out more of what makes a multiplayer game multiplayer. PVP.

I wish one day a mod/dev would have the stones to close a thread on the basis OP messed up and died.

He didn't stand there and do nothing. Read his post again - he was actively trying to get away from the infected player, and the player kept following him. That is classic griefing - essentially saying non-verbally, "stay the heck away from me", and still being followed, and unwillingly flagged for pvp, just in time to get his butt kicked in.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, PVP shouldn't be forced on someone who doesn't want it. On the other, the guy states he had a vaccine that he decided not to pop, so he knew what was going on and the event wasn't a surprise to him. Given that 1) he knew of the event. 2) there are other world bosses. and 3) He apparently didn't have any friends grouped with him (since they didn't help in the fight) this obviously wasn't a guild planned event or something. I have to wonder if it isn't a case of "staged martyrdom", where he intentionally placed himself in this position in order to draw attention to it. I don't know that that's the case, but a lot of the facts he mentions just don't seem to stand up to scrutiny IMO.

I play on a PvP server, and do enjoy my battles against other players. However, people have the right to play the game how they see fit. When my guild decided to come to SWTOR, we actually split over the subject of PVP. Many of us wanted the realistic feel of a civil war where the threat of ganking or combat in general was constant. Others, who are similar in view to the OP, opted for a PvE server.

The argument in favor of the OP, or a roleplayer, or anyone else who enjoys this game differently than I, is that there should be nothing in this game forced upon another player. PvP must be voluntary. You click YES to join a PvP server, you click YES to join a warzone. You have to choose to engage. Much like the DoTs and AoEs were no longer flagging people, this too must be corrected. People will do anything to pick a fight in these games. Meaning they will do anything to flag you.

The guys that jumped the OP surely knew what was going to happen, and for the OP who clearly does not wish to PvP, this should be removed.

To the OP, I'm sorry you got ganked by a couple of tools. I would suggest thicker skin if you wish to continue with the event though. No sense in letting the bottom of the food chain get under you skin.

Great post! I think they need to fix the flagging issue on PVE servers. I personally love pvp in open world areas like this, but I also know how irritating it can be to have some mouth breathing neck beard overtly harass me because he's too much of a coward to PVP with the big boys. That said, the death penalty in TOR is exceedingly mild, so don't let it annoy you too much. And report the griefer(s), that never hurts.

Great post! I think they need to fix the flagging issue on PVE servers. I personally love pvp in open world areas like this, but I also know how irritating it can be to have some mouth breathing neck beard overtly harass me because he's too much of a coward to PVP with the big boys. That said, the death penalty in TOR is exceedingly mild, so don't let it annoy you too much. And report the griefer(s), that never hurts.

I did, and took a few screenshots to back up what I was saying by asking them to please move and stop following me exactly because of the PvP reasons. Thankfully it was only two of them, and the rest of their party seemed to be indifferent (one of them actually said to leave me alone.) I just wish I thought enough to take a screenshot of the more... inappropriate things they said and did before and after the fact.

Even if nothing happens to the players, it's at least one more thing for them to see saying "Gee, maybe this infection thing shouldn't flag players for PvP when it gets transferred..."

It's hilarious really, had a pair of mercs try this on my jugger yesterday, one pops on me, flags me and the other attacks. Funny thing is they were awful, even at 49 i killed them (both 50's) several times before they gave up. The baffling thing is why? Why bother...bizarre.

Alright, so there I am out in the dunes, minding my own business on a PvE server. My flag's off - I'm not a big fan of PvP - and I'm waiting for Trapjaw to appear. A bunch of Imperials come out of nowhere. No biggie, they can have him, I'll just let my guys know so they can get the next one. Along comes a flagged for PvP guy. He's feverish. He runs up to me. I ask him to please back away, I don't want him to flag me or something when he explodes. I move away, he follows. I don't have enough time to use a vaccine before he explodes, flagging me for PvP, and the Imperials all start to attack me.

I don't retaliate, and just say "Stop."

Please, if you're going to have an event like this again, keep one thing I've said before in mind: If someone explodes from the plague and I get infected, ok - I caught their virus. What I should NOT catch, however, is their lust for PvP. I lost about ten minutes' worth of time waiting for my flag to go off - while dead - that I could have been participating in the event. And the respawn spot it throws you out at? Maybe ten feet away from where Trapjaw spawns, so I'd be killed immediately without any sort of time to get away from there.

I like everything in the event, except this one aspect . Exploding on a non-flagged player should not flag them for PvP - vaccine or not.

Thanks, and sorry for the rant.

Finding it hard to see why this is such a big deal, maybe you could you know just press the respawn button?

Had to chuckle at this.

http://i.imgur.com/UmcMV.jpg

Yeah, I got a giggle out of that too and then I wondered where the one was comparing WoW to EQ or DAoC or etc.

Not much new under the sun in MMOland. Too risky and we've seen those that did try to get frisky not do too well (cough...Vanguard...cough Tabula Rasa etc.).

Shame but it's BIG business now so...gotta go with what sells.

Finding it hard to see why this is such a big deal, maybe you could you know just press the respawn button?

Considering it respawns you to a location about thirty feet away, not a safe zone, and has no guards there, it would have resulted in me being chased down and killed - again. In case you're not familiar with it, the Republic respawn spot when you're near Trapjaw puts you a bit to the West of his spawn location, easily visible from the fight spot.