Str vs. Power augment

Sharpiie

Both power and strength from before and i believe after give the same values in terms of bonus damage. The difference though is that strength also gives you a bit of critical strike so it means that its worth more to you, especially with a sorc buff as you gain 5% extra.

Both power and strength from before and i believe after give the same values in terms of bonus damage. The difference though is that strength also gives you a bit of critical strike so it means that its worth more to you, especially with a sorc buff as you gain 5% extra.
Unnatural might increases bonus damage by 5%, which is affected by power. Just sayin'.

So now we have 7 additional slots that can have Augments. +126 Power or Strength...

Strength Augments: 25.2 Bonus Damage + some crit rating...

Power Augments: 28.98 Bonus Damage

Maybe before when Augments gave +28 Strength/Power there might be a debate.

But hey, if you got the credits to waste then by all means.

Unnatural might increases bonus damage by 5%, which is affected by power. Just sayin'.

That also boosts strength...

Power gives slightly more damage

All in all I say it matters very little which one.

Both. Strengh is your "Main"-Stat and Power is a 2nd Stat. Every item have strengh and this game do not have armoring without Strengh or modifications with more 2nd-Stat then your mainstat. The only thing are enhancements. I prefer enhancements with Surge/Power

But you can not ignore strength

Str= 0.2 bonus damage and an increase to crit with diminishing returns

pwr= 0.23 bonus damage and no effect on crit

Sorc buff increases primary stat by 5% so if buffed for op or WZ

str= 0.21 bonus damage and an increase to crit with diminishing returns vs pw=0.23

Essentially it is a balancing act and for certain values of str vs pw one will be better than the other, either way it will not make much difference. I think my char is currently around a sweet spot at ~1650 str and 450 pw

If the Diminishing return on primary stat is still the same,

then start using power(doesn't have diminishing return) instead of strength.

- There is 'no' breaking point that anyone knows of.

- but if you're around 1600 strength or higher, start using power.

- If your base crit is around 30%, and you can self buff (through legacy) crit from IA,

switch to power from strength

- If you're constantly using the Might stim, which gives 104 strength and 63 power (I think, values differ

for different stims), then again start switching to power.

*** Also think about that Stim, it's almost a 2:1 ratio from strength to power.

Although i might be reading too much into this in a "game":

the higher the value of something means that too much of it, shows that it isn't as significant "compared"

to a lower value.

Example Just like a drug,

If you're taking Advil 400mg, going from 400mg to say 600mg sounds big (50% incr),

But if you take a Sudafed 30mg and bumping up to 45mg, you're only adding 15mg, but it's still the same 50% increase.

IE. The smaller the value holds more potency.

BW made the 104 strength and 63 power stim. If both stats have equal potency (remember at higher levels

and dealing with diminishing return), then the stim would be +80 strength and power.

But then again, this is a game. it's not always follow what we expect.

Edited by Crawfishies

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

Since power is closer to victory than strength, you should gear for Power. :D

:p

:cool:

The Force shall free me.

/thread

I agree the DR from Str starts around 1600.......... you cant go wrong with power cuz there is no DR.... well lets just say this. My Guildie..... Stacks willpower to 1600 and then power......... im full bm and when he opens up on me and blows his CDs im dead in 3 hits. He is an Assassin.... Deception spec. I am an Anni Mara... when I blow all my cds and berzerk, power cube, I can Dps someone down in 3 seconds. Power is where its at its the only stat you CAN stack after you hit DR from str..... In my opinion all Augment slots should be Power Augments.

I agree the DR from Str starts around 1600.......... you cant go wrong with power cuz there is no DR.... well lets just say this. My Guildie..... Stacks willpower to 1600 and then power......... im full bm and when he opens up on me and blows his CDs im dead in 3 hits. He is an Assassin.... Deception spec. I am an Anni Mara... when I blow all my cds and berzerk, power cube, I can Dps someone down in 3 seconds. Power is where its at its the only stat you CAN stack after you hit DR from str..... In my opinion all Augment slots should be Power Augments.
Diminishing return on Strength? The ****? I think you're gonna need to explain that one.....

Only the critical chance component of Strength yields diminishing returns. In most cases, 1 Strength is better than 1 Power because it gives you some critical chance as well as 0.2 bonus damage as opposed to only the 0.23 bonus damage Power would give you. Edited by Swarna

Only the critical chance component of Strength yields diminishing returns. In most cases, 1 Strength is better than 1 Power because it gives you some critical chance as well as 0.2 bonus damage as opposed to only the 0.23 bonus damage Power would give you.
Then this supposed "DR at 1600 STR" is even more ridiculous considering Crit/Surge mods can be swapped for Power/Surge mods.

When I did s spreadsheet to see which is better the difference isn't that much. The gear stats I used was full war hero with no mods changed and a Matrix cube. With all +18 Strength augments and the 7 slots filled up I get an extra 26.46 Bonus Damage and 0.657 critical chance. With all +18 Power augments with 7 slots filled I get an extra 30.43 Bonus Damage.

This is all with the 4 class buffs and my +104 strength and +43 power stim. So the question is do you wan an extra 0.657 critical chance or an extra 3.97 Bonus Damageon top of what you get from the stats? For me I don't see that much of a difference between the two unless someone else has any info to add to this.

Forgot to add but I also have all the datacrons so the data might have a very small difference from others without all of the datacrons. All of the datacrons give a +40 stat bonus to Willpower, Strength, Cunning, Endurance, Presence, Aim.

These are all the buff stats I used:

Strength = 1579

Power = 234

Critical Rating = 383

Edited by IXBillyXI

I correct my orevious statement. Str starts to decline in melee bonus damage after 1500. I dis the math before and after putting in all str augments into my custom warhero gear. From 1460ish with a percent of .2 bonus damage to 1534 with a .19and change ........ Less than a hundred points increase and the percent to bonus power is going down. Math dont lie. The dr for str in melee bonus damage starts at 1500 roughly. This does not effect rage or annihilation spec at all really but carnage gets screwed by this. Bioware screwed up carnage even morethanbefore. Honestly. You get enough crit from gear i would just up my surge cal to 80 then stack

power augments cuz its a better all around stat.

I correct my orevious statement. Str starts to decline in melee bonus damage after 1500. I dis the math before and after putting in all str augments into my custom warhero gear. From 1460ish with a percent of .2 bonus damage to 1534 with a .19and change ........ Less than a hundred points increase and the percent to bonus power is going down. Math dont lie. The dr for str in melee bonus damage starts at 1500 roughly. This does not effect rage or annihilation spec at all really but carnage gets screwed by this. Bioware screwed up carnage even morethanbefore. Honestly. You get enough crit from gear i would just up my surge cal to 80 then stack

Actually that 19% you're getting is most likely from rounding issues because of the 5% buff from the Inquisitors. my strength value without the 5% is 1467. With the buff it goes to 1540.35 BUT the stats on your character will only show the 1540 and not the decimals place so that is your first mistake.

Take the 1540.35 and times it by 0.2 and you get 308.07. The actual number that shows on the character sheet only takes it to the tenths place so it really shows "308.1". The way they do their rounding is not good enough for you to work it backwards to calculate the values you get so try it again.

On a calculator do 1460 * 1.05 and you get 1533. then do 1533 * 0.2 and you get 306.6 Bonus Damage from strength if the strength value is correct on what you said in this post.

I'm sure your character sheet if the strength value is correct shows a strength bonus damage of 306.6 but if you do 306.6/1534 is equals to 0.199 and I'm sure this is where you got that 0.19 value.

Edited by IXBillyXI

The Force shall free me.

But, you gain power through strength... so gear for strength.

Well "math dont lie" I think your doing your math wrong because I have 1820 buffed and still get .2 per strength for 364.3 bonus.

• 2 months later...

Very interesting topic. I actually experiencing something (with full buffs and str/pow stim )

Im rage sentinel

i was 1830 str, 988 pow

i just put 1648 str, 1170 pow

My high primary range main hand damage was 1108 and now it is still 1108

Make conclusions yourselves ;)

Edited by thebadnick

Very interesting topic. I actually experiencing something (with full buffs and str/pow stim )

Im rage sentinel

i was 1830 str, 988 pow

i just put 1648 str, 1170 pow

My high primary range main hand damage was 1108 and now it is still 1108

Make conclusions yourselves ;)

Something is bugged on your character screen. Try re-equipping all your gear. Power definitely grants more damage than str.

At a 1-1 ratio, strength > power.

For example:

If you have all power augments, a 39 crit mod in one of your pieces of gear, and are sitting at 33.1 crit chance, and then you replace that crit mod with a power mod and then replace those power augs with strength ones until you are back to 33.1% crit chance, you will have slightly more bonus damage than you did with the power augs.

At a 1-1 ratio, strength > power.

For example:

If you have all power augments, a 39 crit mod in one of your pieces of gear, and are sitting at 33.1 crit chance, and then you replace that crit mod with a power mod and then replace those power augs with strength ones until you are back to 33.1% crit chance, you will have slightly more bonus damage than you did with the power augs.

Please don't spread misinformation. Str and Power are not equal or even better than each other. Power is a linear damage boosting stat (4.3 power = 1 dmg), while Str is logarithmic due to attached crit bonus (5 str = 1 dmg + small % crit, how small depends on your overall stats). At low Str/Crit levels, Str is better than Power. At high Str/Crit levels, Power becomes better than Str. At some point of stat allocation, Str = Power, key is switching to Power when you reach that point. However, as you stack more power, crit gains in value as well, so the point where Str = Power is not static either, it's very much dependent on all DPS boosting stats.

Figuring out optimal stat allocation at any gear level is not a trivial problem. Since stats directly influence each others values, their relationship can be defined through an equation. Since SWTOR itemization values all stats at 1-1 cost, it's best to evaluate all stats with respect to one stat that ideally has linear scaling. In other words, calculating weighted values of stats with respect to one linear stat. Anyone that theory crafted Warrior DPS in WoW should be familiar with term SEP, Strength Equivalency Points. Determining optimal gearing and stat allocation was done by calculating SEP values of items. Strength is a linear stat in WoW, while in SWTOR Power carries that characteristic. To get the equivalent meaning in SWTOR, we'd have to calculate all other stats with respect Power, i.e. Power Equivalency Points (PEP).

Once again, calculating PEP for all your stats is not a trivial matter since the values are dynamic as the amounts of stats change. In WoW there were a few tools for determining these values, most famous probably being the Warrior DPS Spreadsheet. In SWTOR, we're not as lucky, but I have seen some spreadsheets and simulators popping up already, though I'm not sure how accurate their calculations are. See http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Forum-Sith-Warrior-and-Jedi-Knight for details.

Edited by Okamakiri