Remove the rakghoul plague now

What is fun about it. What can I do to enjoy this event? Stand still? I quest but I wouldn't mind questing without herpes debuff waiting to explode from the sphincter inside out.

Aside from a couple stuns over the course of the infection, it makes no difference to your combat potential until you die. When you die, you are only out 20 seconds to get back in the game. At that point, you no longer have your "herpes".

For me, being able to go sell 5 DNA for about 25k would make me have some fun with the event. If I was just starting out in the game and I learned I could make 25k every 20 minutes? I'd be begging people to infect me. That would sure buy me some inventory expansions and my speeder at level 25.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The money isn't an issue for me. It isn't an issue for you. I also got free vaccines by running the dailies. I imagine you did too. Good for us!

You might want to try to consider that there are a wide range of other types of players in game though. For instance, I've heard of people going to Tython and Korriban to infect lowbies; it's not reasonable to expect a lvl 1 char to have 2k credits, is it? What if that player literally just started the game; what impression do you think they'll have?

Prolly the same impression I had of Lineage 2. In 2005 when I tried Lineage 2 you could delevel from max level and still wear the max level gear. People would delevel all the way down to level 4. Then they would camp the character creation zones and gank people as soon as they logged into the game. Needless to say I played Lineage 2 for about 2hrs.

I can imagine being a new person to this game creating a character and right off the bat getting infected and wondering "what the heck is going on" and getting frustrated. Especially if SWTOR is their first MMORPG and if their experience is bad enough it could cause a veritable garcia effect toward MMORPGs and the people that play them.

BTW, this IS a form of greifing.

Edited by Urael

Aside from a couple stuns over the course of the infection, it makes no difference to your combat potential until you die. When you die, you are only out 20 seconds to get back in the game. At that point, you no longer have your "herpes".
Both of those potentially swing the tide of battle, turning a win into a loss.

For me, being able to go sell 5 DNA for about 25k would make me have some fun with the event.
For me, it's not enough to entice me into logging into the game; it's not worth the downsides, by far.

Seriously for a measly 2k creds you can buy a vaccine and not have to worry about infection for 6 hours. Stop QQ'ing
Obviously this isn't correct, based on the guy that had to spend 50k in a day to stay plague free...

Rakghouls are a part of Star Wars, even Vader has encountered them, in their current incarnation they have been so since the frist KOTOR. As for "zombies", that categorisation doesn't fit, rakghouls are very much alive, they are mutations, not undead. If you don't like the stories BW has created that's your business, though I think you're completely wrong.
rakghouls are the result of a conversation that started off with something like "hey how can we shoehorn zombies into the starwars mythos" ... if you believe otherwise, then I think that you're out of your mind.

It's nice that you believe that everything that people have created that is star wars is canon... but there is indeed a school of thought that only the movies are actually canon (they only consider G-Canon to be actual canon). You're not going to convert any of those people by insisting that vader has encountered rakghouls... because he didn't encounter them in any of the movies.

Whether they're canon or not, there's certainly a group of people that believe that they're a detriment to the mythos; arguing that they've been in since KOTOR doesn't really add any support as far as those people are concerned.... they still believe that they're a garbage addition to the mythos.

i never said 'they as human beings have no value' now your just making things up.
You've disagreed with people saying that they should be respected as such while making snide comments about them; it seem pretty clear that you do not respect them as human beings... in fact, based on your word choice I expect that you basically regard them as sub-human.

I said "dissident". Pro-event people are not dissidents since they are in favor of the currently established policy.
They're the ones that kept this thread alive...

"Infinitely smaller" is a relative term.
No, actually it's an absolute term.

A few loud voices does not make a majority - it just makes a lot of noise.
Are you really going to argue this strawman?

Nope. Not at all what I am saying.

I am saying by attaching a cost to the vaccine, it makes people consider if they want to participate or not.

A free vaccine on every corner, and a "world event" that is limited to one zone, makes it seem like the devs don't want people to participate. Throwing free cures around in everyone's face makes them believe that the event isn't worth participating in, if they are so eager for everyone to get an unlimited free cure that lasts the entire duration of the event.

It's like advertising a free meal.....and 4 people hand you tums and immodium before you get to the table. What would your impression be?

That's an interesting point, but I don't agree. The default now, and with the proposed free vaccine, would be the same; everyone participates until and unless they act to opt out. The message to players is effectively the same either way - you're part of this unless you choose not to be. The fact that a vaccine exists at all will already raise in some minds questions about whether participation is a good idea.

Making the vaccine free would, I suspect, convert precisely zero people from enjoying the event to avoiding it. Anyone who doesn't want to take part in the event will on some level desire a vaccine already (or is choosing to avoid public places, or just isn't playing).

Both of those potentially swing the tide of battle, turning a win into a loss.

Big deal. It's a MMORPG, where it's assumed your character is going to die millions of times over the course of your play experience.

It would be entirely different if it was a standard death with equipment damage, but it's not.

For me, it's not enough to entice me into logging into the game; it's not worth the downsides, by far.

Your loss, not mine. I can't get infected and explode fast enough.

I want to get all the companion customizations and I really doubt that I'm going to get enough DNA to get them all before the 24th.

Obviously this isn't correct, based on the guy that had to spend 50k in a day to stay plague free...

Like all viral outbreaks, if you don't want to get sick - quarantine yourself, I guess. The news announcer on Fleet even recommends you return to your ship and stay there for the duration.

There are no penalties for dying. Why care?
Because the penalties of the plague outweigh all of the rewards combined.

Big deal.
Indeed, it is to some people. I'm glad that you finally recognize that.

Your loss, not mine.
Yes... that's why people are complaining about it.

For you, maybe.

There is way too much activity on Tatooine and the Fleet regarding this event to claim that for the playerbase as a whole.

I'm having a great time with the plague event. I think I'll be sad when it's gone.

Indeed, it is to some people. I'm glad that you finally recognize that.

Only to a very few. To the majority, it's just another form of playing tag.

Yes... that's why people are complaining about it.

By people, you mean the handful of people complaining in this thread?

I can tell you that I've heard no one complain about it in guild, on mumble or in general on my server.

Edited by Raeln

Okay I guess I'll go play my nub lv 18 Warr even though I got herpes debuff and not enough creds to waste on the "vaccine". QQ :confused:

At level 18, you shouldn't be able to trip over a root out in Dromund Kaas without making 2000 credits.

Penalties

-4-6 seconds worth of stuns over 30 or so minutes

-death wasting 20 seconds of play time

Benefits

-win tokens by dying with no damage to your equipment

-buy event only pet

-buy event only character skins

-buy event only crystals

-sell DNA for enough credits to last you into your 30s if you're a lowbie.

Yep, you're right. The 30 seconds you lost by getting the plague far outweighs the benefits....

Edited by Galbatorrix

No, it's NOT. It's a gameplay mechanic.

Its the same as those that try to make people flag PvP by using "in game mechanics".

I feel about these people as this person posted in the involuntary PvP thread:

Let's face it theyre impotent cranks that have no power anywhere else so they flex their pixelated E-peen to feel like Billy ******.

:rolleyes:

Penalties

-4-6 seconds worth of stuns over 30 or so minutes

-death wasting 20 seconds of play time

Benefits

-win tokens by dying with no damage to your equipment

-buy a event only pet

-buy event only character skins

-buy event only crystals

-sell DNA for enough credits to last you into your 30s if you're a lowbie.

Yep, you're right. The 30 seconds you lost by getting the plague for outweighs the benefits....

It does if you don't WANT any of said "benefits". :rolleyes:

Edited by Urael

Its the same as those that try to make people flag PvP by using "in game mechanics".

:rolleyes:

You get a quest called "plaguebringer" that asks you to infect 10 other players. Again, it's a game mechanic. It's nothing like tricking people into a PVP battle. Unless Bioware made a quest for that as well?

Then avoid area's with a high population? Let me guess, you QQ as well when there are other players in a quest area and the quest takes longer than you'd like due to having to share quest nodes? There's really no difference. Either leave the area and do something else or deal with it. If you don't want others affecting your play time, stop playing MMOs.

EDIT: Seriously... who wouldn't waste 30 seconds of their time to make 25K credits? Heck, you probably waste more time than that posting stuff on the GTN and not making nearly as much....

Edited by Galbatorrix

Holy hell.. you (general. including Feroz) really are just QQing to a major extent, it blows my mind.

There are NO, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NO penalties for the plague that warrant it being removed, because the TINY amount of people like you are so anti-social, anti-fun and just all round anti-MMO, can't be bothered to interact and have fun with other people.

As is already said. You suffer no durability loss from exploding. And instead, you GET currency. DNA.. which you can either use for time-only vendors (awesome pet, nice customizations). As you said you don't want these.. fair enough. Then sell them for big credits.

There you have it. Nothing being taken away, and instead money being given TO YOU. Not that it was EVER hard to earn credits in this game.

Edited by Kampori

Holy hell.. you really are just QQing to a major extent, it blows my mind.
I'm not sure what you think is QQing in the text you just quoted. He's patiently explaining (again) that the infection does not provide any benefits to people who aren't interested in those things.

There are NO, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NO penalties for the plague that warrant it being removed, because the TINY amount of people like you are so anti-social, anti-fun and just all round anti-MMO, can't be bothered to interact and have fun with other people.
The person you're responding to isn't one of the 2 or so that have asked for it to be removed.

Nothing being taken away,
False; time is being taken. People have lost warzones as a result of it; that's not just a few seconds...

Indeed... the fact that mechanics of the infection encourage griefing is at the root of the objections that are being raised. It's kind of silly to offer "it's the mechanics" as a counter argument to that...

For you, maybe.
no, there's no maybe about it... definitely.

Only to a very few. To the majority, it's just another form of playing tag.
No one has claimed otherwise... why do you keep coming back to this strawman?

I can tell you that I've heard no one complain about it in guild, on mumble or in general on my server.
I've seen/heard it in all 3. Edited by ferroz

You get a quest called "plaguebringer" that asks you to infect 10 other players. Again, it's a game mechanic. It's nothing like tricking people into a PVP battle. Unless Bioware made a quest for that as well?

Normally I might agree with you but unfortunely I know of an instance that this could be used for griefing and it was.

A group of my friends was setting up a group to do a heroic and they specifically asked people joining them if they had been infected (they didn't want anyone exploding on this misson) and one person said he wasn't. Well they got the group together and got to the boss and he explode and stood there laughing and of course they were upset that he had deliberately did this when they asked specifically for non infected people.

So in a situation like this that could be considered griefing because he tricked and lied to them.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

The person you're responding to isn't one of the 2 or so that have asked for it to be removed.

False; time is being taken. People have lost warzones as a result of it; that's not just a few seconds...

Indeed... the fact that mechanics of the infection encourage griefing is at the root of the objections that are being raised. It's kind of silly to offer "it's the mechanics" as a counter argument to that...

no, there's no maybe about it... definitely.

No one has claimed otherwise... why do you keep coming back to this strawman?

I've seen/heard it in all 3.

I was talking to all QQ'ers of it. Mainly you. I guess I quoted wrong person. Sentiment stands.. you are the anti-social, anti blah blah.. enjoy.