Remove the rakghoul plague now

Yes, you go and make that argument to your local pharmacist and see if he/she agrees.

So you're claiming that no government has ever forced its population to undergo mandatory vaccinations*? Or are you claiming that neither the Empire nor the Republic would want to do so**? Or maybe that they can't afford to do so***? ;)

* This isn't uncommon, actually. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/RS21414.pdf

** Obviously they'd want to do so. This isn't a flu we're talking about; this is ebola, only a million times worse.

*** They cannot afford NOT to do so, at least for key military and diplomatic personnel (i.e. all player characters).

Edited by Aloro

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you go and make that argument to your local pharmacist and see if he/she agrees.
I can't, since we're not currently suffering from a civilization ending plague. EDIT: I just remembered, my flu vaccine was free this year, just like it was last year, so my pharmacist agrees.

The bird flu scare is the closest that we came and that was nowhere near as contagious, virulent or deadly. There were free inoculations for that.

We have mandatory inoculations for much less severe plagues in my country: polio, scarlet fever, measles, etc

So if we want to mirror real life... it makes plenty of sense for those stims to be free, and mandatory even.

So... to mirror...

Any video game that's been released that is single-player only should be free after the first is sold? No, sorry.. you're picking and choosing which "RP" mechanics to consider. You either take in the whole of it, or don't use the RP argument to begin with.

No, that's not analagous. Videogames are not 100% virulent, nor are they 100% lethal and they do not kill within an hour.

As mentioned elsewhere, the idea that the governments would be more interested in the tiny short term profit of selling 2k vaccines is laughable at best.

Edited by ferroz

I opted to spend 1/3 of my purse on a dose of serum, get on the next world and make contact; double-back several hours later to spend Commendations, and have been avoiding crowds since. This included many logs to stretch the serums efects, as well as avoid heavier combat until I received more credits from my Main.

What are you doing with only 6k credits? Why are you spending commendations on the fleet instead of on the planet you got them? (I remember there being commendation vendors on each planet..) Why would you avoid "heavier combat" when you're supposedly in low-end zones to begin with? (Assumed based on credit count..)

Not hard, but is certainly inconvenient, and not what I would have preferred to have done with my time. The inconsiderate actions of one Player blowing his infected nose in a crowd forced all of this to occur; not the Plague itself.

It's intentional, by the guys who designed the event. You are rewarded for infecting others which really doesn't mean the player doing the infecting is "inconsiderate". Others think the Bounty Hunter is inconsiderate, when the BH is only doing his or her job.

As mentioned elsewhere, the idea that the governments would be more interested in the tiny short term profit of selling 2k vaccines is laughable at best.

Private contractors.

Edited by Freyar

MMO Trader Magazine

For Sale - 1 very tired and shabby MMO script, contains information on Guild features, PvP imbalance and World Events, 1 million US Dollers.

Seller - Blizzard.

PayPal - Not Accepted

EA Cheques - Not Accepted

How about Bioware start thinking for themselves for a change, instead of just working from a very old and tired script, just a thought.

:rolleyes:

So you're claiming that no government has ever forced its population to undergo mandatory vaccinations*? Or are you claiming that neither the Empire nor the Republic would want to do so**? Or maybe that they can't afford to do so***? ;)

* This isn't uncommon, actually. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/RS21414.pdf

** Obviously they'd want to do so. This isn't a flu we're talking about; this is ebola, only a million times worse.

*** They cannot afford NOT to do so.

Apparently they can't for some reason otherwise they would have (from an rp standpoint), besides, it's not a cure its a temporary vaccine.

Regardless, none of what you said means that Forrez's argument for it being free based on the reson he gave any more valid, or realistic.

Edited by Runeshard

I can't, since we're not currently suffering from a civilization ending plague.

The bird flu scare is the closest that we came and that was nowhere near as contagious, virulent or deadly. There were free inoculations for that.

So if we want to mirror real life... it makes plenty of sense for those stims to be free.

No, that's not analagous. Videogames are not 100% virulent, nor are they 100% lethal and they do not kill within an hour.

Ok now you're just starting to get silly. Bottom line, this temporary vaccine isn't free in game, it's certainly not being distributed to the populace, maybe because it's not really a cure just a temporary fix. That's the way it is, you were the one trying to bring real life circumstances into this and then trying to disregard the bits that don't suit you in the first place

I opted to spend 1/3 of my purse on a dose of serum, get on the next world and make contact; double-back several hours later to spend Commendations, and have been avoiding crowds since. This included many logs to stretch the serums efects, as well as avoid heavier combat until I received more credits from my Main.

Not hard, but is certainly inconvenient, and not what I would have preferred to have done with my time. The inconsiderate actions of one Player blowing his infected nose in a crowd forced all of this to occur; not the Plague itself.

Why not just pop?

It's a gear-wear free death after all.

Ok now you're just starting to get silly. Bottom line, this temporary vaccine isn't free in game, it's certainly not being distributed to the populace, maybe because it's not really a cure just a temporary fix. That's the way it is, you were the one trying to bring real life circumstances into this and then trying to disregard the bits that don't suit you in the first place

I would argue it is a cure since it does take the debuffs off, even in the "Feverish" stage.

Apparently they can't for some reason otherwise they would have (from an rp standpoint), besides, it's not a cure its a temporary vaccine.

I listed above a few things that happen in game that are not explicable in-character (e.g. shuttles picking you up from inside deep caves, reviving from death). This seems to be just another example of something that we need to suspend disbelief about.

A temporary vaccine still works fine to control an epidemic. Especially one that threatens all life. A mandatory inoculation of all people entering the Fleet would completely prevent the plague's presence there, would it not? Even if isn't a short term vaccine, as we now have, that would work.

I'm speaking strictly as Devil's Advocate here. I am not suggesting that all players be inoculated. I'm only saying that's the clear and logical choice for the Republic and Empire to take, if you want to talk about this from within the fiction of the game.

Regardless, none of what you said means that Forrez's argument for it being free based on the reson he gave any more valid, or realistic.

I was not replying to Forrez. I'm not sure which argument you mean. I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say, either.

Edited by Aloro

Ok now you're just starting to get silly.
Interesting, instead of countering my argument in any way, you just declare it silly and move on.

Bird flu is much less of a threat; inoculation against it was free.

measles, scarlet fever and polio are much less of a thread; inoculations against them are mandatory.

We're talking about a civilization ending disease that has 100% contagion, 100% lethality, and kills within an hour. The notion that the governments aren't going to make the vaccine both free and mandatory is laughable at best. It's one of those things you have to suspend disbelief about, because it simply makes no sense.

Bottom line, this temporary vaccine isn't free in game, it's certainly not being distributed to the populace, maybe because it's not really a cure just a temporary fix.
Yes, we know. That's the bit that we're saying is unrealistic.

That's the way it is, you were the one trying to bring real life circumstances into this and then trying to disregard the bits that don't suit you in the first place
I'm not disregarding anything... Edited by ferroz

I'm speaking strictly as Devil's Advocate here. I am not suggesting that all players be inoculated. I'm only saying that's the clear and logical choice for the Republic and Empire to take, if you want to talk about this from within the fiction of the game.

If I remember correctly, while playing a Smuggler, there was an indication that the Republic was suffering from an economic collapse.

Even then, as a whole, things are still pretty early.

Edited by Freyar

What are you doing with only 6k credits? Why are you spending commendations on the fleet instead of on the planet you got them? (I remember there being commendation vendors on each planet..) Why would you avoid "heavier combat" when you're supposedly in low-end zones to begin with? (Assumed based on credit count..)

It's intentional, by the guys who designed the event. You are rewarded for infecting others which really doesn't mean the player doing the infecting is "inconsiderate". Others think the Bounty Hunter is inconsiderate, when the BH is only doing his or her job.

Private contractors.

This was my total purse after the Origin planet of Hutta. As I was headed to the Fleet for Mission assignments, thought I would see the shops there; no advanced intel stating the Fleet was infected. And to make the serum last and avoid having to spend another 2k, I avoided Elites until later, as the serum apparently stops working atfter Death.

The one tht stood at the Safe Zone was seemingly more than inconsiderate; he attacked others on a PvE server in a safe Zone without asking permission; that apparently is Griefing (ie; harrassment). As others have mentioned, RP questing is not an excuse.

Interesting, instead of countering my argument in any way, you just declare it silly and move on.

measles, scarlet fever and polio are much less of a thread; inoculations against them are mandatory.

We're talking about a civilization ending disease that has 100% contagion, 100% lethality, and kills within an hour. The notion that the governments aren't going to make the vaccine both free and mandatory is laughable at best. It's one of those things you have to suspend disbelief about, because it simply makes no sense.

Yes, we know. That's the bit that we're saying is unrealistic.

I'm not disregarding anything...

Not here, which is why herd immunity is being lost and there are outbreaks appearing everywhere.

This was my total purse after the Origin planet of Hutta. As I was headed to the Fleet for Mission assignments, thought I would see the shops there; no advanced intel stating the Fleet was infected. And to make the serum last and avoid having to spend another 2k, I avoided Elites until later, as the serum apparently stops working atfter Death.

You get hit by it once, learn the station is infected and take steps to avoid it (as you admittedly did, though a bit too aggressively which inconvenienced only you.)

The one tht stood at the Safe Zone was seemingly more than inconsiderate; he attacked others on a PvE server in a safe Zone without asking permission; that apparently is Griefing (ie; harrassment). As others have mentioned, RP questing is not an excuse.

He "attacked" how? By exploding? That's not an attack.. just saying.

In which country?

Now extrapolate that to the Empire and republic. So many worlds, thousands of different rules. Some planets charge for vaccine, some don't. Some make it mandatory, some don't. On Nar Shadaa the cartels have confiscated the supplies and the hutt now charge 20,000 per stim. On Coruscant the Black Sun stole the vaccine and are using it as a device to obtain more power, threatening the Senate itself.

Some planets even believe that these vaccines will cause Autism in their babies so have outlawed their citizens from being inoculated.

Edited by Bhaers

I don't agree. I think this is a simple change, that improves quality of life. Most importantly, this is a change to respect the rights of players to have the game the way they like it. It's not in any sense comparable to e.g. a Jugg complaining that Assassins and PTs make better tanks, so Bioware needs to buff Juggs. There's no slippery slope here. Making this concession won't put Bioware in a position where they later have to concede everything that every player ever asks for, no matter how unreasonable.

While you have every right to voice your opinion, none of us remotely have a right " to have the game the way they like it"...especially when it hamstrings the way others like it. this is a community. It's a shared experience. And it's on the Devs to weigh and find ballance, howfully while not ending up with a cop-out wet-fart.

What we have is the right to share our opinions and vote with our $ or our feet.

By all means if there are creative solutions and tweaks that allow folks to not feel "wronged" that don't nerf the point of the world event or it's function, then I hope BW will apply lessons learned and make the next iteration that much better.

But this expectation that I see in most of the complaints (not all mind you) that that person's individual experience will always be as pristinely as they demand it,...because it's your right somehow....is frankly not realistic or sociable.

Soooo......

1. make your views and wishes known....checkeroony x1000+....got it
  2. offer creative solutions that make for the happy all around......occasionally being done....thanks for those few and far between
  3. demand your right to have "it" your way because it is your right....not so much thanks
    ----especially while completely dismissing what seems to be good for the most folkses.

.....that is all

Edited by ChakraFive

Not here,
Out of curiosity: where is "here"
which is why herd immunity is being lost and there are outbreaks appearing everywhere.
we had ~200 cases of measles in the US last year, almost all of them were the result of people traveling abroad.

I listed above a few things that happen in game that are not explicable in-character (e.g. shuttles picking you up from inside deep caves, reviving from death). This seems to be just another example of something that we need to suspend disbelief about.

A temporary vaccine still works fine to control an epidemic. Especially one that threatens all life. A mandatory inoculation of all people entering the Fleet would completely prevent the plague's presence there, would it not? Even if isn't a short term vaccine, as we now have, that would work.

Suspension of disbelief can work both ways, for example why can't all jedi and republic soldiers have access to the same handy, life saving med droid that has so often kept our characters from dying that final death? If you over analyze these things they just get silly after a while. The vaccine isn't free, it's not distributed to every npc in the game (would be a pretty boring event if this were the case) and it's not given to every player upon entering the fleet. That's the way BW designed it.

You said before that people's opinions should be respected and their wishes met, that only works up to a point before things get out of hand. This situation for example is basically a lot of belly aching over something that is reather trivial and above all else temporary, come end of middle of next week it'll be gone.

I was not replying to Forrez. I'm not sure which argument you mean. I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say, either.

That his arguments for getting the vaccin for free were invalid.

Why not just pop?

It's a gear-wear free death after all.

* Did not know it at the time; first day of exposure, and had not Logged to get OOC info for meta-gaming.

* I avoid dying as a rule, unless I need to catch the Med Transport back to base.

* Besides Bioware, nobody knows if this thing is finished; like the ideas of Datacron effect stripping, and DNA tracing for those that registered myself.

I think the OP has cooled off a bit now, he has edited his post.. guess he couldn't change the thread title, so that makes only one then.

Hehe...I have allways felt his real complaint was not the event itself but the way the infection was spread, esp on Fleet. And of course I support the jest of his complaint on this topic. I hope BioWare learns something from this thread that not everyone will enjoy every aspect of any event and those who donot should be considered also when they design one.

* Did not know it at the time; first day of exposure, and had not Logged to get OOC info for meta-gaming.

* I avoid dying as a rule, unless I need to catch the Med Transport back to base.

* Besides Bioware, nobody knows if this thing is finished; like the ideas of Datacron effect stripping, and DNA tracing for those that registered myself.

You mean that part where you argued that the next step of the infection event could be that our accumulated datacron attributes start to get taken away? Yeah, that'll happen.

You get hit by it once, learn the station is infected and take steps to avoid it (as you admittedly did, though a bit too aggressively which inconvenienced only you.)

He "attacked" how? By exploding? That's not an attack.. just saying.

Yes; it is an attack much like any other AoE, and it does concern me that Griefing created the issues mentioned by both the OP and myself.

Hehe...I have allways felt his real complaint was not the event itself but the way the infection was spread, esp on Fleet. And of course I support the jest of his complaint on this topic. I hope BioWare learns something from this thread that not everyone will enjoy every aspect of any event and those who donot should be considered also when they design one.

I think they did consider those who wouldn't want to participate. Incubation takes time, and vaccines aren't hard to get. I can't see how these options and considerations aren't the "Opt Out" people were asking for. Sure they get hit once, but they should learn what's going on as a result right? Instead they seem to be refusing to learn that the guy with glowing eyes and green particle effects is someone who's going to blow up soon.

"But I'm busy looking at something else," they say. So what? Pay attention anyway. Listen for it and move away or use some other place to buy and sell. I've found a few GTN terminals that are linked to the main (Empire side at least) database, so.. it's not impossible to adapt.

It's simply a case of people being intolerant to a change. "I bought the game, and I pay for it, therefore it shouldn't change" seems to be the argument.