Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Remove the rakghoul plague now

Not quite, I call it Griefing as I believe it fits and have not assigned that title to anyone save the Green Goo Bomber that splattered me on the Fleet Med Station. If others are offended because they also perform like actions, that is their choice.

And standing among the crowd of a Rest Zone seems fairly indicitive of intent, I believe.

Bioware's policy that you posted says

"The key to determining whether the mechanic is being misused or abused is to determine "intent."

This is why I have continually tried to explain to you that these actions do not qualify as griefing. These people would have to know that you don't want to be infected and intend to ruin your experience in order for it to qualify.

Standing amongst the rest zone is just standing there. They don't know when they are going to explode. They also don't know that the people there will be distressed by something like this (as the vast majority of the people playing want the infection). It is completely implausible to assume intent to cause you grief by the fact that they are standing in the rest zone while they have the plague. You must believe that the entire online world revolves around you if you think their purpose for standing in the rest zone is to ruin your playing experience.

This is really what it comes down to. You are calling everyone else selfish, but you have this very particular and very peculiar set of desires for how you want to play the game and you expect the game mechanics to revolve around that instead of setting your style of playing the game around the game mechanics.

Edited by Notannos
rude

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think so given the Plaguebearer quest but I get pretty stupid when I'm tired and decided to give the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks! :)

You should get some sleep before you start griefing yourself.

;)

I'd rather they not make events that encourage that behavior.

That may be, but reporting them ingame is nevertheless the right thing to do

So posting on the forums is just as important.

Calling people griefers on the forum doesn't lead to anything good, as we have already seen.

It was relevant to the discussions pertaining to statistics which the mods have since asked us to get away from. The other poster was referring back to that discussion and questioning my claim that I had a degree which would qualify me to look at the numbers.

As the mods have called for us to move on, its not worth discussing at this point.

EDIT: Also, I want to clarify for the sake of full disclosure that I didn't claim to have gone to NorthEastern University, but to a university in the northeast of the US.

Oooh oooh, can I play? So then does my B.S. in Game Design make my opinion any more valid than yours on this subject?

Calling people griefers on the forum doesn't lead to anything good, as we have already seen.

Spamming grief reports in game for something that is working as intended game mechanics can get the offender in trouble too. GMs usually don't take repeated reports for no reason lightly.

I saw this thread when it was on its second extension. So I logged in to my lvl 40 character on Hoth - played for two hours. Didn't see anyone infected, no one tried to infect me. Of course there were only 8 people on the planet, I didn't see anyone!

So I logged to a lvl 15 character on Corresent, plenty of people running around, doing the auction house and quests. Never got infected, didn't see anyone who was infected or anyone complaining in chat.

Just saying, it seems like people who want to avoid the plague could do it pretty easy. My experience has been I'd have to go out of my way and stop questing to get infected.

Edited by ibrac
Correction to info

I really don't think the forums are a good way to gauge how many people are for or against this event. How many players even read the forums? And of those that do; how many actually post on the forums? More often than not, players enjoying themselves are not going to come to the forums, or post about it.

What? And run the risk of someone (gasp) exploding all over me, getting 5 DNA and putting it toward another alt's pets?

Perish the thought!

;)

Well if someone really did that...I.....Yeah. Never mind.

*coughs*

I need DNA for my crystals!

Park your corpse somewhere easy to find!

You mean like the guys who were clustered around the pvp terminal and laughing general chat about how they were infecting all the <redacted> who were trying to pvp?

And the guy who was laughing about how he was going to tython to infect the noobz.

Yes. particularly the ones that responded with a variant of "trololol" when people asked them to stop.

There is always going to be ***holes and griefers. Sure it's wrong. But for over 200 pages now Elhanan has been calling everyone griefers which is unfounded name calling and against forum rules.

And as another poster said, if you really believe they are griefing report them. Stop with the blanket accusasions that everyone is a griefer because they are playing the game as intended.

As I compiled that list, I want to clarify that I didn't intend to say you wanted an opt-out. I had said that the people on the list had objected for a wide range of reasons. I apologize if you feel I misrepresented your beliefs.

Oh no worries Skolops. I just didn't want to be misunderstood in the flame fest that's going on is all. I think galaxy wide events are a great idea. I just don't like the story line on this one is all. There will be others that I'll think are great that others will think are lame. For the most part it's much ado about nothing imo.

And seriously in the time since the game launched is there anyone who not even for a moment wondered just why there was a rakghoul vaccine on the med droids when you never got the plague outside of a quest? I sure did.

I didn't disagree; but it's not as important as doing what I can to prevent such abuses in the future.

No, the results of these discussions have yet to be seen. It'll probably be a month or more before we see whether it leads to anything good or not.

But for over 200 pages now Elhanan has been calling everyone griefers which is unfounded name calling and against forum rules.
I think Elhanan has been calling the people who advocate griefing griefers... I mean, if you're going to claim that we're trying to stop your fun, and the only result of what we're asking for is to stop people from intentionally infecting people who do not want to be infected then you're advocating for the griefers.

Now... if you think what Elhanan is doing is against the forum rules, report those posts.

And of course on the forum are a tiny fraction of the actual player base, and the ones that do the most complaining about absolutely any trivial thing.

In game I have yet to hear from a single player that does not enjoy the event in some manner, even some that are not doing the event say they are enjoying the mini-game of evading infection.

So far this event has been a win/win

No, the results of these discussions have yet to be seen. It'll probably be a month or more before we see whether it leads to anything good or not.

That's not what I meant and I think you know that. If I was unclear I apologize, but we have been warned to discuss semantics further. :)

Edited by Lundli

That's not what I meant and I think you know that. If I was unclear I apologize, but we have been warned to discuss semantics further. :)
You're talking about how folks got called griefers for what some people think is griefing, right? I'm talking the same thing... we won't know for sure until the next event if there's any positive result from that or not. If the next event has either

• no way that it can be used for griefing
  • a way to opt out in such a way that it can't be used as griefing.

then it's quite possible that it might have something good come of it.

Edited by ferroz

i think what you need to keep in mind is that BW wants the plague to spread. in fact i believe they are counting on it for future events they have already planned out.

this is a plague, plagues are not something you can just say "no thank you i don't want to catch that". it is meant to spread so that the other events they have planned can happen. if the plague is not spread to the fleet and other planets it would then cause issues and plot holes that would cause bw to slow down future content patches trying to fix and retcon these issues.

this is a plague, plagues are not something you can just say "no thank you i don't want to catch that".

Sure you can, you just take a vaccine. Now if BW had bothered to make a vacacine available for players ... oh wait. nm. :p