Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Combat spec OP with only face rolling required

Bangkokk

Spamming precision and blade rush and topping damage charts while staying full on focus. What kind of crap is this.... I wouldn't mind being OP if skill was required but this is just stupid and boring. It puts our other trees to shame, feels almost as bad as tracer missile spamming Edited by LexiCazam
Inappropriate content

For the last few months all I have heard is that Watchman is the best spec.

I thought it was:

1 Watchman 1v1

2 Focus 1v many

3 Combat ?

Any other opinions on this?

Watchmen are harder to kill then Focus.. but I can still do it. You just gotta move right and know when to cloak / debuff.

Also, by putting Combat as no.3 i'm assuming you mean that it's useles..

http://www.fryingtime.com/?filename=combat_2012-04-18_16_26_19_786132.txt

There is a link to my parse on the raid dummy.. the damage speaks for itself, really.

and i'm not fully geared, either.

Watchmen are harder to kill then Focus.. but I can still do it. You just gotta move right and know when to cloak / debuff.

Also, by putting Combat as no.3 i'm assuming you mean that it's useles..

http://www.fryingtime.com/?filename=combat_2012-04-18_16_26_19_786132.txt

There is a link to my parse on the raid dummy.. the damage speaks for itself, really.

and i'm not fully geared, either.

This is a 58 second parse. That is inspiration, precision, zen, blade rush spam, parse over. Of course it will be high.

This is a 58 second parse. That is inspiration, precision, zen, blade rush spam, parse over. Of course it will be high.

when someone wants to "prove" their bad idea is correct they put up biased things in hopes that people are not smart enough to realize how much they fail.

HAHAHAH…

For Months I have been hearing how I play the Gimp Spec, Now I am suddenly playing the Face roll spec…

Seriously people have to learn the concept of restraint when they talk.

Nothing in Star WOW is hard.

Nothing in Star WOW is complex.

The Sentinel is Not OP for any of the 3 specs.

The Sentinel is not UP for any of the 3 specs.

The Sentinel is not impossibly complex to play.

The Sentinel is not a Faceroll character to play.

Some other things to consider.

DPS Is not the be all and end all of any fight PvP or PvE, Interrupts, Control, Debuffs, Mitigations, Stuns, CC, the list goes on, are all factors as well.

For Example, I have been playing a Sage, My Sentinel DPS At the same levels Buried my Sage DPS, but, My Sage’s Survivability is still far greater.

Really can all the QQing Wowsers bury it for a little wile and actually allow the people who want the game to be better to be heard among the clamour of all the noise.

Blablabla about sentinel.

Really? sentinel is not OP? Are. You. Mental?

There is no class matched in 1v1 to a well played sent/mara.

Wether it's watchman, combar or focus, the burst dmg & sustained is just way too high to be competitive with other classes.

Yes, I play a sentinel. No I'm not the most awesome player, but I still faceroll so much people in pvp.

Really? sentinel is not OP? Are. You. Mental?

There is no class matched in 1v1 to a well played sent/mara.

Wether it's watchman, combar or focus, the burst dmg & sustained is just way too high to be competitive with other classes.

Yes, I play a sentinel. No I'm not the most awesome player, but I still faceroll so much people in pvp.

Stealios.

I can be certain from my experience that you are full of Bovine Excrement, The Sentinel by its self does not have the Control, Mitigation, or Mobility, to Outmatch any other class. Yes it has DPS, It has Truckloads of it.

I am a Very good PvE Sentinel, and at best a mediocre PvP player, and I can see the strengths and weaknesses of the class enough to know that if I put in the time/effort/energy to become good at TOR PvP I will compete effectively as a Sentinel, but face roll??? Give me a Break.

But of course if you want to be a wowser and go on and on about how it is SOOOO OP And how no one can stand up to it, feel free, but anyone who has played any real amount of PvP or PvE content will know that your input is just hot air… Well this being an electronic forum, call it wasted electrons.

from a pvp standpoint, combat is very good for a premade group or at least a good group setup. You can peel people off of your healers pretty easily. Burst is good. Survivability is not so good as combat, i feel like i need to roll around with a healer, unlike watchmen i can survive for a long time and pick a group apart with my dot heals.

Combat is gimp unless you have a premade team with at least 2 range dps.

by gimp i mean not as good as watchmen/focus but still good :p

combat is gimp unless you have a healer rolling with you. Otherwise watchmen just straight outperforms you. If you have a healer, combat brings more to the table to the entire group.

I left combat blank in the second post because I have personaly never speced to it and so I had no info.

Between watchman and focus I like watchman better.

I will try combat out when I can use the whole tree, im only lvl 35.

Why does everyone feel the need to argue over stuff on forums?

If you posted parses for all 3 specs for the same time duration that would be the most informational.

HAHAHAH…

For Months I have been hearing how I play the Gimp Spec, Now I am suddenly playing the Face roll spec…

Seriously people have to learn the concept of restraint when they talk.

Nothing in Star WOW is hard.

Nothing in Star WOW is complex.

The Sentinel is Not OP for any of the 3 specs.

The Sentinel is not UP for any of the 3 specs.

The Sentinel is not impossibly complex to play.

The Sentinel is not a Faceroll character to play.

Some other things to consider.

DPS Is not the be all and end all of any fight PvP or PvE, Interrupts, Control, Debuffs, Mitigations, Stuns, CC, the list goes on, are all factors as well.

For Example, I have been playing a Sage, My Sentinel DPS At the same levels Buried my Sage DPS, but, My Sage’s Survivability is still far greater.

Really can all the QQing Wowsers bury it for a little wile and actually allow the people who want the game to be better to be heard among the clamour of all the noise.

Compared to other mmos sentinel is pretty much face roll status. I haven't played other classes so I'm not sure on the head to keyboard success rate. Btw I've only been playing for a few weeks so if you played gimped for months then it's your fault

Compared to other mmos sentinel is pretty much face roll status. I haven't played other classes so I'm not sure on the head to keyboard success rate. Btw I've only been playing for a few weeks so if you played gimped for months then it's your fault

Who said anything about playing Gimped?

At no point did I suggest the Sentinel is Gimp. It also is by no means a face roll class.

It takes a given amount of understanding of how to get the most out of it to make it work.

It is the most complex class in the game, there are no I win Buttons, no repeat spamming, you have to manage your cooldowns, focus and centering, while ensuring you set up the best combinations to make it work.

Is this impossible… No where near it.

Is it face Roll??? Not at all.

There is nothing wrong with the way the Sentinel plays, as I said it is not OP, it is Not UP.

And if you had have actually read my post you may have noticed this fact.

Watchman is excellent in almost every situation. Combat is incredible for burst DPS and works very well in a pre-made or with at least a couple other players you know. Focus is perfect for voidstar or center in civil war... group up as many imps as you can and just AoE the crap out of them.

They are all useful, it's just that watchman is ALWAYS useful and in a lot of situations preferrable to the other 2.

Edited by witelightnin

Combat is good if you understand the phrase "Choose your Target Wisely"

Watchman is forgiving thanks to all the utilities but if you're using it to survive longer, your DPS will drop.

Focus is easier to use but again, brain will help.

The good Sentinels are not the 700K damage ones. It's the ones that enables their team to win. Knowing when to pop Inspiration, Transcendence or Zen. Keeping your force leap up ready to save someone's butt, ball carrying, generating an incredible amount of chaos on the battlefield. One of the major strenght of a Sentinel is MAP CONTROL. Sure a Sage can run fast here and there but a Sentinel can enable an entire team to run fast...

Combat is awesome as of 1.2, but there's no "best spec", each has its use. Combat brings the highest/quickest single target burst, Watchman brings DoTs that allow you to do damage even when being kited and utility coupled with the highest sustained damage and respectable burst, Focus brings AoE Burst that can make healers panic. All in all, there's no "right" way, it's all about YOUR playstyle.

(note that this is all from a PvP perspective. For PvE I would say Watchman is still tops)

Edited by nschlan

Combat is awesome as of 1.2, but there's no "best spec", each has its use. Combat brings the highest/quickest single target burst, Watchman brings DoTs that allow you to do damage even when being kited and utility coupled with the highest sustained damage and respectable burst, Focus brings AoE Burst that can make healers panic. All in all, there's no "right" way, it's all about YOUR playstyle.

(note that this is all from a PvP perspective. For PvE I would say Watchman is still tops)

wow..what a false statement if I've ever seen one.. "Combat brings the highest single target burst"...are u kidding...

Watchman and Focus can both put out 7k damage in ONE single global cooldown... now, can combat do that? I highly doubt it.

Watchman alone can break 7k in a global cooldown...5k+ merc slash with cauterize and overload saber dot rolling..

Focus brings the rain with Force Sweep. I have hit it for 6,964...36 dmg away from 7k...

Combat can swat away during zen, yes its bursty...but honestly...it would take 2-3 gcd's to catch up when the other 2 tree's are already pushing other skills.

wow..what a false statement if I've ever seen one.. "Combat brings the highest single target burst"...are u kidding...

Watchman and Focus can both put out 7k damage in ONE single global cooldown... now, can combat do that? I highly doubt it.

Watchman alone can break 7k in a global cooldown...5k+ merc slash with cauterize and overload saber dot rolling..

Focus brings the rain with Force Sweep. I have hit it for 6,964...36 dmg away from 7k...

Combat can swat away during zen, yes its bursty...but honestly...it would take 2-3 gcd's to catch up when the other 2 tree's are already pushing other skills.

Yeah, I'm sure you can hit that on undergeared targets. By the way, all that stuff takes more than 1 GCD to activate. using multiple skills as part of your burst = more than 1 GCD. L2count bro.

That Watchman burst takes Overload Saber, an attack, cauterize, another attack, maybe 1 more if I blocked/parried 1 or some such, and assuming you used Merc Slash in there somewhere you have to wait for it to come off CD to get that burst. And no, on a well geared target you will NOT hit 5k with it. Plus, there's 0 guarantee you'll crit. Then maybe a Master Strike or Dispatch

Combat burst: Blade Rush, Precision Slash, Blade Storm, Master Strike/Dispatch.

But go ahead, listen to the bads on the forums and be narrow minded. I could care less if you don't think Combat is viable, you're just 1 more person who willfully limits his skill level.

Edited by nschlan

yeh, your right it does take more than a gcd to set up...but in that gcd..combat doesn't have more burst.

overload saber is off gcd..cauterize is always rolling, and merc slash is firing off faster than a Combats Zen spam. I'm not saying Combat doesn't have burst, but I still don't believe it's the highest single target.

And yes on well geared players I do hit for 5k..easily.

blade rush, precision slash and blade storm is barely over 6k if all crit. Master Strike is you best bet with the armor debuff.

Glad we have parsers now..but yet I'm narrow minded.

merc slash is firing off faster than a Combats Zen spam.

Merc Slash going off faster than Combat's Zen spam...what is...I don't even...you don't even know the class. Combat's Zen reduces the focus cost and GCD of Blade Rush. You can get off AT LEAST 6, more like 7-8 Blade Rushes that way in the time it would take to get off 1 Merc Slash and have it come off CD, even with 3 stacks of the buff. Credibility = lost.

Merc Slash going off faster than Combat's Zen spam...what is...I don't even...you don't even know the class. Combat's Zen reduces the focus cost and GCD of Blade Rush. You can get off AT LEAST 6, more like 7-8 Blade Rushes that way in the time it would take to get off 1 Merc Slash and have it come off CD, even with 3 stacks of the buff. Credibility = lost.

^ this.

dw man, that dude really has no clue lmao.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.