Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Set Bonuses vs 5 Augment Slots

physiology

Running combat tech with the ironfist build, but working on getting an augmented war hero set together. Since set bonuses on old gear do not transfer, is it worth swapping gear for the increased stats at the cost of the set bonuses?

I crafted myself 5 augmented WH pieces.

Swapped out he mods from my BM gear and put in power augments.

The 0.5 second longer stun isnt noticable and my Stockstrike crits

just fine even without the extra 15% chance from set bonus.

Extra power is always good.

So I would say, go for it!

^^ This

I have done the same and concur. Plus the extra HP are nice. You are basically trading 15% crit on one ability, for 90 power and 60 endurance. Which is nice, because unless they changed it in 1.2 power was the only linearly scaling stat.

Plus... I got bored looking at the same old armor! The other cool thing is you can pick the one you want! Eithe blue primary with secondary or white primary with green secondary.

Id buy em now too if you can, as when more people start getting War Hero gear.... Where the set bonuses will transfer... The price will go through the roof. I have two complete sets of augmented gear.... One I wear, one I'm saving.... But id sell it for the right price. :)

^^ This

I have done the same and concur. Plus the extra HP are nice. You are basically trading 15% crit on one ability, for 90 power and 60 endurance. Which is nice, because unless they changed it in 1.2 power was the only linearly scaling stat.

Plus... I got bored looking at the same old armor! The other cool thing is you can pick the one you want! Eithe blue primary with secondary or white primary with green secondary.

Id buy em now too if you can, as when more people start getting War Hero gear.... Where the set bonuses will transfer... The price will go through the roof. I have two complete sets of augmented gear.... One I wear, one I'm saving.... But id sell it for the right price. :)

set bonuses only require 4 pieces of a set, so it is completely possible now to use one augmented armor piece of the 5 core pieces and still retain the set bonus if you wish to find a happy medium

My opinion:

If you run Assault/Pyro: The 4PC isn't worth giving up (whether it is PvP or PvE Set bonus you are running with)

If you run Tactics/AP, or Shield, you can do without the bonuses and just go for straight stats.

Agree with the post above mine: Depends on the spec.

I'd argue that the 4 x combat tech set bonus might be worth keeping for Iron Fist builds though, You'll use SS almost as much as Assault will use HiB and while the additional 15% crit may not turn a mediocre player into a PvP god it could be just the edge you need to win in a tight encounter.

The decision is probably easiest for Tactics running in HEC, all the set boni are marginally useful at best and thanks to the stupid amount of accuracy on Combat Tech you need to mix and match anyway.

a bit off topic but i want to know if the crafted gear requires you to keep armor crafting or not. can i learn armorcrafting, make the armor and the relearn another profession while still eing able to use that one?

You do not need a profession to wear the armor.

The crafted War Hero does require Valor 70 though.

thank you. but i assueme they are bind on pickup so i can't get them made by someone else?

Nope you can buy it or have an alt make it. Also once you start getting the War Hero gear you can have both the augment slots and the set bonuses.

Got total of 6 augments slots (5 armor, 1 weapon) with War hero crafted gear.

Swaped some BM +Crit+Accu for +Crit+Surge from Champion.

I'm running full tactics.

And yes, even the 4 pieces set bonus is negligible if im having flat 30% crit, but for some players and particular builds it will be a tradeof.

And whats more important, my playstyle resolves around AOE, which in this case receives a nice bonus.

Just remember: Elemental damage is not mitigated, and if its also tech (and in most cases is) then its also

not dodgable so u can replace BM enhancement mods (even when losing 25 expertise) with champion crit+surge or Crit+power or Power+surge enhancements. The conclusion is If im using explosive surge i often get 3-4 people at NovC with a blast dealing tremendous damage, followed by Neural Surge and Pulse Cannon (buffed to 5 stacks) this can pottentialy kill 3-4 players at once (yes it works this way).

Edit: Just added war hero mods onto legs and gloves. :D so 2/4 set bonus is here.

Edited by Nezyrworks

Unfortunately 5 augmented slots isn't worth it for the Supercommando Set.

No 5 augments equal the damage increase of -1.5s off Energy Blast / Storm and 5% bonus dmg.

Well i would say yes 4 pieces are the way to go until you have all 4 war hero while playing tank. supercommando is a specific set. I had sacrificed 15% Stockstrike and yet i don't see hudge diference. Regained tenancy cooldown reduction and nerual surge cooldown already.

Just theorycrafting at this point, but I would agree that the loss of the 4-pc bonus on combat tech gear is minor to the benefit of the augments.

Side question: I see people talking about using the crit or power augs, but why wouldn't you stack aim?

Just theorycrafting at this point, but I would agree that the loss of the 4-pc bonus on combat tech gear is minor to the benefit of the augments.

Side question: I see people talking about using the crit or power augs, but why wouldn't you stack aim?

Can't say I understand a person using Crit Augs.

Aim vs Power is pretty minor if you have all augments one or the other really and you won't notice a huge change either way

First of all, thanks for the feedback everyone :)

What about the Eliminator set for us Assault Vanguards? I personally don't see how any 5 augments can replace +8% to crit on HIB...

As for this, for assault, the crit to hib is really important so you will probably want to stick with the four piece and wait until you have the war hero set before worrying about the augment.

Edited by physiology

As for which is better you need to figure out what you gain by stacking each stat. Power scales linearly giving you 0.23 damage per point. Your primary stat also provides bonus to damage at a linear rate, 0.2 dmg per point. Your primary stat also gives you crit chance, but this DOES follow DR. No matter what any one posts otherwise, or how many dev posts they point out that says primary stat has no DR... They are wrong... Well 1/2 wrong. I've done the research and the math multiple times on multiple toons. Now how bad is the DR on primary stat generated crit %? At a primary stat of 400, each point gives you + 0.20 damage and 0.0077% to crit. At 1400 each primary stat poInt gives you 0.20 damage and 0.00677 crit.

endurance gives just a flat 10 hp per point.

Crit and surge DR... But at different rates. Surge has a much sharper DR curve than crit chance.

Expertise now is interesting. It has DR on all three of the abilities it buffs... Dmg, dmg redux, and heal. But for all three the DR curves are much different. For damage the difference between value per point at 81 expertise and 1081 expertise is only 0.005%.... But for dmg redux it's 0.008%... A 60% bigger drop in redux per point. Which is one reason it seems like dps is out of control this patch... Because of better expertise damage scaling. The funniest thing about the whole system is that healing from expertise has the LEAST DR of all three.... Unfortunately each point also provided the lowest returns... That said theoretically if one continued to gain expertise over another few thousand points, with the same equations.... Healing becomes the stat that gains the most benefit from expertise. :). Yea.... Enjoy chewing on that....

Or just get a set of WH and then a crafted set with augments and then put the armorings into the crafted set - then you got the 4 piece AND the augment slots :)

I am glad this is possible, but the problem is...it's only possible on the War Hero set :(

Still rank 69..grr.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.