Why Nerf Crafting?

NikitaCH

I'm glad to see that some of you agree with me.

I don't really see how the ones that think I should find another game is helping, by not addressing this issue you are shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak.

If the crafting system is not improved, less people will bother with crafting and you get less of the nice gear you all want so badly.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could get some really nice crafted gear for your chars and companions as you level up and not just at lvl 50, and some really nice buffs and potions to go with it?

Yes they made the speeder bikes not bind on pickup now, but why should i craft one that costs me 12600 in materials when they sell the same in the store for 8000?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sad but very true... Would be nice to make crafting more desirable.

You mean crafting that creates purple augments that everybody needs now and orange gear with augment slots that everybody needs now too, that crafting? What's so undesirable about it?

I'm glad to see that some of you agree with me.

I don't really see how the ones that think I should find another game is helping, by not addressing this issue you are shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak.

If the crafting system is not improved, less people will bother with crafting and you get less of the nice gear you all want so badly.

Wouldn’t it be nice if you could get some really nice crafted gear for your chars and companions as you level up and not just at lvl 50, and some really nice buffs and potions to go with it?

Yes they made the speeder bikes not bind on pickup now, but why should i craft one that costs me 12600 in materials when they sell the same in the store for 8000?

You claim that if the crafting system is not improved, less people will bother with it, but considering there are about 3 pages here of people explaining to you that Crafted Gear in 1.2 actually IS the Best gear, and can be crafted WITHOUT playing any Warzones, I would love if you could explain to us how you would like to see it improved? Seems to me that if you took the time to finish Leveling up from 35 to 50, you would gain a much broader perspective on this game, and in fact it might even help you with your crafting, as you would be able to identify things people WILL buy from you, and you can start tailoring your Crafting to that which will make you a nice profit.

TL;DR = You'd have a more well-rounded view of Crew Skills and Crafting, and an understanding that they are markedly improved in Patch 1.2 than prior, if you actually played the game.

I stopped reading here.

Minecraft is that way. -->

<----- And Call of Duty is that way. So?

Crafting is a part of the MMO experience. If it's not viable as a way to earn in-game cash, there really is no point to it. Since it's in the game, it should me made as useful as anything else in the game.

Problem is though when I took out the Armoring as stated would carry over the set bonuses. It did not do as explained. Opened a ticket and said it's only working for 1.2+ tier. That means only campaign gear and higher.. GG what a waste.

Why is it a problem? PvP folks are grinding for new WH gear, PvE folks are grinding for new PvE gear (black hole or whatever the name is). When they get their new pieces, they'll need to transfer mods into augmented orange piece and get the augment for it. Both of those (orange shell and augment) are crafted.

Expecting people to bother switching from BM/rakata gear to orange gear with BM/rakata mods is not very realistic, because those mods are already obsolete - why waste credits on transfer?

Edited by Zellata

I'd like to see crafting at least make gear at Columi level. I love to do operations and my guild does setup times to do raids and such, but my schedule doesn't allow me to get to them very often so I find myself in lower gear with what seems like little hope to get better gear.

I don't have a ton of friends playing the game and I don't really do PvP so I'm stuck with my 126 level gear from Dailies and that is all I can get. Maybe if I take a vacation I can get in on some Operations or hard mode flashpoints to get better gear.

Some 136 level crafted gear would be nice. I know all you raiders hate when we part time players ask for better gear but I've spent a lot of time playing this game, I just haven't found the list of friends that are on the same time I am that will allow me to raid.

Nothing is wrong with crafting. Even pre-1.2, crit crafted columi grade gear was often better than Rakata, and considerably easier to obtain (ear/implants/waists). Armor crafters hit 50 and get a basically free Rakata waist and Wrist, artifice gets rakata relics, etc... crafting is very desireable. Armstech was the toughest to make money with, but post 1.2 they have some of the most desireable crafting augments and can make basically every class an augmented weapon, which is the highest slot in demand atm b/c you dont lose a set bonus.

And I know a few biochems who've made a ton of cash off crafting. One guy controls the market on the lvl 49 epic earpieces, one creates tons of stims, adrenals, and medpacks for raiders who arent biochem, and another focuses on the Exotech and columi recipies hes gotten from raids.

At lower levels blue and purple gear is always in demand, and if you spend the time to unlock those patterns you should have little problems selling the stuff you unlock. Implants and eaarpieces in particular are more difficult to obtain while leveling up and can last a player a good long time, making them vertiable cash cows. My first toon never passed lvl 25 and made over 500k from just selling lvl 20-38 earpieces.

If purples/blues were easier to unlock everyone would have them on an alt and no one would bother paying for the pieces you made when they could just make them.

Crafting is a mini-game within the game... It isn't 'The Game'.. Sorry but i disagree. If the crafted gear is the best gear, for either pvp or pve then there is no reason to grind. There is no reason to keep a majority of the players playing and paying for the game.

People already complain the worlds are dead, making BiS purchasable gear would end the life of this game in a heart beat.

Sorry but i disagree. If the crafted gear is the best gear, for either pvp or pve then there is no reason to grind.

You might want to hit 50 on at least one toon before commenting on endgame crafting. Here's a hint - those mods that go into crafted orange gear have to come from somewhere.

Crafting is a mini-game within the game... It isn't 'The Game'.. Sorry but i disagree. If the crafted gear is the best gear, for either pvp or pve then there is no reason to grind. There is no reason to keep a majority of the players playing and paying for the game.

People already complain the worlds are dead, making BiS purchasable gear would end the life of this game in a heart beat.

You understand that the only way to get BiS endgame gear is BOTH by grinding for the mods AND by crafting the augementable gear right? Both are needed.

Crafting should play a very important role at MMO´s, thats how it always has been until wow dumped that down with WOTLK.

Should it offer the best gear? Well yes and no.

First of all should crafting give those that cant raid, pvp etc. a way of getting gear which allows them to step into raiding or pvp, usually its equal to the first Tier.

Second, crafting should give raiders a chance to improve their gear as it becomes necessary for beating specific boss fights. Vanilla and TBC wow was perfect there, for instance did you need specific gear with resistance to be able to beat encounters, like shadow, fire or cold etc. The patterns for those should then be bound to raiding performance or part of a prequest series, so that you can only get them if you raid or intend to do so.

Third crafting should offer for all players a way of improving stats on gear. At wow this is done by jewelery and enchants.

People that dont like crafting are better of playing a shooter game but not an RPG ;)

Crafting should play a very important role at MMO´s, thats how it always has been until wow dumped that down with WOTLK.

How about we talk about SWTOR?

Should it offer the best gear? Well yes and no.

First of all should crafting give those that cant raid, pvp etc. a way of getting gear which allows them to step into raiding or pvp, usually its equal to the first Tier.

Crafted lvl 49 pieces are the rough equivalent to the first tier, often with better itemization, and equivalent to second tier if they crit with an augment slot. A 50 in full lvl 49 epic mods/armor/enhancemnents should have no difficulty whatsoever running HM FPs and reg Ops, and in fact will be better geared than most fresh 50s I encounter in HM FP pugs.

Second, crafting should give raiders a chance to improve their gear as it becomes necessary for beating specific boss fights. Vanilla and TBC wow was perfect there, for instance did you need specific gear with resistance to be able to beat encounters, like shadow, fire or cold etc. The patterns for those should then be bound to raiding performance or part of a prequest series, so that you can only get them if you raid or intend to do so.

Crafted Columi gear, unlocked from schematics dropped by bosses, can crit and provide equivalent or better stats than Rakata gear. I rather like not having to have more than the 4 sets of gear (and 5 different relics) that I currently use. Please dont add resist gear... please!

The nightmare pilgrim shows something of this trend, where you have to do dailies to unlock 'access' to the boss, and beating the boss provides a buff useful for pushing progression into raiding.

Third crafting should offer for all players a way of improving stats on gear. At wow this is done by jewelery and enchants.

Augments, and in 1.2 augment slots are far more common than before, as well as particular augments are easier to obtain.

People that dont like crafting are better of playing a shooter game but not an RPG ;)

Above.

Well OP given the state of crafting and it's usefulness endgame, there is no reason to craft and bioware seems to be actively discouraging people from crafting.

A cynical part of me says that since crafting wasn't in KOTOR Bioware didn't want to include it but they were forced to since SWTOR is an MMO. That same cynical side says that there is probably some residual resentment about that so crafting is useless and nerfed.

I've had around 8 maxxed crafts people in various MMOS (as well as well ranked PvP characters). I'm not certain the designers know how to make crafting fit right now. They have definitely made improvements with this patch, yet it has a very small role in the economy.

That last point is really the most telling about SWTOR, in the bigger picture. Let us look at the game areas:

1) Battle arena (WZ) focus of PvP rather than open world battles (doesn't really jive with the lore - Huttball?! LOL, please)

2) Space combat on rails, with a few missions rehashed with different goals (and some mystery goals). Again, not really fitting to an Epic universe like SWTOR

3) A Legacy system to encourage re-rolling rather than having a deep end-game

4) Crafting that surprisingly has little consequence. I don't mind it being optional, but it SHOULD be substantive

I'm not quite certain what SWTOR is trying to do. My best guess is they are trying to "break the mold" of past MMOG's, but it seems a strange way to do so.

The fact that my highest lvl char is only 35 should not have anything to do with not being able to make a profit off crafting.

I have no problem making lvl 50 gear as my crafters are maxed out at 400, yes they can’t make everything purple yet, but I can make a fear bit of purple items...

I have crafted purple lvl 50 gear and what it costs me in crafting materials is more than what they sell for on the market. because there is no crafting mats to find in the market and people selling the same gear in the market are selling the same items for less than what you buy the materials for once you find them.

Purple items (implants, earpieces, droid upgrades, bikes, armor with augment slots, etc) expire on the market before they sell making me have to repost them 2-3 times before I give up trying to sell that item.

I have also made a lot of buffs and potions for all levels and noting sells even at market suggested prices...

The only thing i can think of that also is a reason for stuff not selling is that the quest rewards and drops are not that great when it comes to credits. People just cant afford to buy anything at a low lvl.

And the fact that we have to pay 600k, 1 mill, 2 mill etc for guild bank tabs is really discouraging when you make 10-20k off a sale on a good day.

No other MMO I have ever played has paid off so little for the crafters.

You might want to hit 50 on at least one toon before commenting on endgame crafting. Here's a hint - those mods that go into crafted orange gear have to come from somewhere.

I have 2 raiding 50's and 2 that are almost 40. The that you start out putting in your gear at 50 come from daily commendations or gear from HM FP. After that it is gear progression through operations. I have yet to purchase armor other than for an orange pattern that I like.

I also have a 250+ artificer, a 397 biochem, a 400 Synth, and a 400 slicer, bioanalysis guy. So yeah I know a little about end game crafting.

You buy the pvp schematics and put an augment in it, it's now better than pvp gear. I am not seeing the reason for the whine.

I play on a PvE server, I don't want to PvP to get gear, so I did not understand what this had to do with the original post?

You buy the pvp schematics and put an augment in it, it's now better than pvp gear. I am not seeing the reason for the whine.

Oh there is a reason. Evennif i could RE a pvp earpice (which i cant) and even if there was a pvp earpiece schematic (which thee isnt) it would still take me about 15 crafts to get an augment to proc coz sadly bounty hunters dont get a cybertech crit. There is 0 market for non augmented eapieces because you can get it for 600 warzone comms which is a joke so i will be completely ruined by the time i get a crit.

Additionally all previous columni boe earpieces are relatively useless now because people can get an almost as good battlemater version of the item for free.

So now i have absolutely nothing to craft that is of any demand to end game, and only things im stuck with is low level epic mods for rich alts. Not something you expect of crafting in an MMO.

I had 10 items expire yesterday that had the Augment Slot available to them, and they were all priced around 20 - 40k each... so whoever said that I could sell armour and equipment with augment slots for several hundred thousand I would really like to know what server you guys are on...

Not that I'm going to actually use that server as I have all my friends on my current one but I'm curious where you guys are that people have so much more EC then what we do...

I think Crated gear should be equal to end-game gear. This way, crafters can't hold gear hostage for obscene prices nor will they feel obsolete. Instead I think crafters should have equal gear ratings but different skins. So you can be a min-maxer and either rock a crafted red body armor or a blue one you grinded for.

yup, aug-slotted orange items are selling for ridiculous amounts on the GTN, at least on my server.

Just one simple question... for how many time?

Crafting should (at least) be an alternative to "elite" PvE, some players just don't want to farm the same instances for months and prefer staying semi-afk reading the chat.

There are major issues regarding crafting in SWTOR though, which leads me to believe we'll never see anything decent. Too fast, too easy, unwearable... 3 major issues.

Edit : DAoC multi-capped crafter proof. 1000+ max crafting skill with less than 1 point each craft (seen more than 30 attempts for the very last points), only part of the production viable for sale and constant market demand is nowhere near what SWTOR crafting is.

Edited by JMCH