The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Remove the rakghoul plague now

wait...wait..wait...

let me get this straight....

first, people were complaining about the LACK of mmo in TOR...

now that bioware is doing things like these "dynamic open world events" to make people work together, or massive open world pvp, and totally balls to the wall have fun and finally PUT the mmo in this mmorpg...

they are complaining!?

GES YOU GUYS! WHAT DO YOU WANT!?!!? :o

well designed dynamic world events; ones that do not allow players to grief each other. Preferably ones where the primary feature of the event is not to encourage people to stand around afk in fleet. Edited by ferroz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet, we've little reason to believe that this is majorly impacting in game activities. All offered proof to this idea has been woefully inept. But even if it were, it would only be troublesome if it was a state of affairs that would last a significantly long period of time. Which is something we have every reason to believe will not be so.

Simply put, not only are claims about any potential damages unfalsifiable but even if they were, these damages are of negligible length compared to the game's overall life such that they become essentially harmless.

The issue I really have with this is actually pretty straightforward.

In a game with lots of people, you're going to have people who play abusively or do stupid things. That's why over the course of many games that have come out, relatively harmless or even useful things have eventually been removed because some people have done stupid things with them, abused them, or otherwise caused trouble.

Knowing this, game designers typically try to keep an eye out for items in their design which may potentially encourage stupid or abusive behavior.

Now, we already know the BW doesn't want people doing certain kinds of things, as we can see from their removal of the party bomb.

So why then even put this temptation in front of people? Whether the harm is great or small, long term or short term, if it's something that A) is fairly easy to predict and B) seemingly against their wishes as indicated by other moves on their part, why have this mechanic at all?

Ultimately, my opinion is just that there are too many simple ways to have avoided this entire controversy - whichever side you happen to be on - altogether, and nobody would have enjoyed the rakghoul storyline any less.

And yet, we've little reason to believe that this is majorly impacting in game activities. All offered proof to this idea has been woefully inept. But even if it were, it would only be troublesome if it was a state of affairs that would last a significantly long period of time. Which is something we have every reason to believe will not be so.

Simply put, not only are claims about any potential damages unfalsifiable but even if they were, these damages are of negligible length compared to the game's overall life such that they become essentially harmless.

Formulas are unnecessary. Warzones have greater issues with them than infected. Issues which actually are demonstrably affecting the system and ongoing player participation much more severely. As to the issue of money, the cost of vaccine is so utterly small compared to the numerous avenues for low level players to generate revenue that it's almost a non issue. Because, right now, there's a means in game to create guaranteed revenue through literally no effort. And not just any revenue but an amount which can address any further vaccine costs handily.

A level 5 player cannot A) afford a 2k vaccine, at least not on a repeated basis, nor can he B) find anywhere to sell his DNA samples.

Why even argue this? Virtually everyone on both sides of the issue have agreed that permitting the plague onto starting worlds was a pretty big blunder.

well designed dynamic world events; ones that do not allow players to grief each other.

I go to bed, get up the next day and still people are whining about griefing? It's NOT GRIEFING. IT'S A QUEST. F F S GET OVER IT!

A griefer is a player who does things in a game to deliberately cause annoyance ("grief" in the sense of "giving someone grief") for the griefer's own enjoyment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

I go to bed, get up the next day and still people are whining about griefing? It's NOT GRIEFING. IT'S A QUEST. F F S GET OVER IT!

A griefer is a player who does things in a game to deliberately cause annoyance ("grief" in the sense of "giving someone grief") for the griefer's own enjoyment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

.... and you think people aren't doing that?

A level 5 player cannot A) afford a 2k vaccine, at least not on a repeated basis, nor can he B) find anywhere to sell his DNA samples.

Why even argue this? Virtually everyone on both sides of the issue have agreed that permitting the plague onto starting worlds was a pretty big blunder.

a noob level 5 player would be on their starter planet. if its some1s altm credits can be sent through mail now no matter the faction

Somewhat agree with the OP. While I do not mind the storyline, those purposely infecting others, and forcing them to spend resources for a temp fix seem to border on Griefing those that play solo, PvE, etc.

This may be nothing to many, but it cost my lowbie a 1/3 of his available funds for a temp fix because some idiot wants to play terrorist.

So what? Just die!

Death is meaningless in SWTOR, just rez where u r, 20 secs lost to rebuffing and healing up.

Repair costs, if any, will be a couple credits for lowbie chars.

Also: I LOVE my rak pet!

The event will continue for a while, since: dailies give you 11 DNA each day and you need 83 DNA for a high end crystal. (assuming you dont buy DNA from others or farm it with alts)

a noob level 5 player would be on their starter planet. if its some1s altm credits can be sent through mail now no matter the faction

I wonder how many new accounts got introduced to TOR through the Rakghoul plague. I know that if it were my first experience in TOR, I'd be pretty peeved.

Edited by Bluerodian

well designed dynamic world events; ones that do not allow players to grief each other.

I got slaughtered by 3 level 50 imperials yesterday on my pvp server... It's sort of what I signed up for... the pvp server part... sure it sucks... but that's what you get for rolling a pvp server.

If you thought that pvp meant that all open world interactions were going to be fair and balanced... Then I'd like to know what you were smoking? Cause there is no way in hell to balance a game around how many mountain dew fuelled, never been touched, 14 year olds want to get on their level 50 sith inquisitors and troll tatooine on a sunday during a massive open world event which you're not obliged to take part in.

My remedy, make some level 50 sage friends who'll want to do the dailies with you.

And if you're on a PvE server... Why are you worried? Just make sure your ops group is the biggest at outlaws den. Done.

Edited by kercchaos

Let me actually tie two things together here! :)

People are traveling to starting planets with the intention of infecting low level players and annoying them.

Low level players are thereby A) being griefed and b) can't afford to avoid it.

You loved Pox Parties (events where parents group kids together to catch Chicken Pox early so that can acquire early immunity).

Now, enjoy Rakghoul Raves. Break out the glow sticks and glowing eyes. Spike the punch while enjoy your friends as lunch. DJ Muur will be mixing tracks as the virus attacks.

Be there or beware.

People are traveling to starting planets with the intention of infecting low level players and annoying them.

Again... what grief is it causing? Oh crap I died and exploded... now I have to run back to my wait a second I can just rez at my corpse after 10secs whoa this not even that bad... Lalala back to lowbie questing like nothing ever happened.

Edited by kercchaos

I got slaughtered by 3 level 50 imperials yesterday on my pvp server... It's sort of what I signed up for... the pvp server part... sure it sucks... but that's what you get for rolling a pvp server.

If you thought that pvp meant that all open world interactions were going to be fair and balanced... Then I'd like to know what you were smoking? Cause there is no way in hell to balance a game around how many mountain dew fuelled, never been touched, 14 year olds want to get on their level 50 sith inquisitors and troll tatooine on a sunday during a massive open world event which you're not obliged to take part in.

My remedy, make some level 50 sage friends who'll want to do the dailies with you.

And if you're on a PvE server... Why are you worried? Just make sure your ops group is the biggest at outlaws den. Done.

Hey, I'm nobody to object to some unfair PvP. I've taken level 50 characters into the opposing factions level 25- 30 spaceports and annoyed people here and there.

That's only one guy though, who's bored. Or, it may be one guy who happens to be in some low level place for some reason. It's a bit different from encouraging hoards of level 50s to go to the questing areas for level 24 players. That's just, honestly, a bad idea.

C'mon, ppl!

I love this event. It is a lot of fun. Why are there always such whiners who make everything miserable? If you get infected. Just play and die. When you died, your infection is over. That's all.

I love that zombie apocalypse! Thanks BW for making such a fun event. Just ignore the whiners. We want more of those events!

probally something that should be looked at and fixed if true. quick fix make ppl immune before level 10. however in general the event is a good idea

*edit* also repair cots are next to nothing and dying is a part of the game for a noob

Edited by grandmthethird

Again... what grief is it causing? Oh crap I died and exploded... not I have to run back to my wait a second I can just rez at my corpse after 10secs whoa this not even that bad... Lalala back to lowbie questing like nothing ever happened.

Well, like the other guy said, if I was a new player just learning the game, didn't know what a rakghoul was, didn't understand this plague, etc., I'd be pretty annoyed. I'd also be pretty confused, and I might well think it was an absolute necessity to scrape up the cash for a vaccine.

It's easy sometimes, knowing what we know now, to forget that there are people who aren't in the same position. Not every level 5 is the alt of some guy who has 4 50s, or is someone who's previously played MMOs. Some of them are legitimately going to have their initial experience hurt by this. If nothing else, it's bad business as it at least risks hurting subscriptions if people get frustrated and quit.

You loved Pox Parties (events where parents group kids together to catch Chicken Pox early so that can acquire early immunity).

Now, enjoy Rakghoul Raves. Break out the glow sticks and glowing eyes. Spike the punch while enjoy your friends as lunch. DJ Muur will be mixing tracks as the virus attacks.

Be there or beware.

Karness Murr reminds all guests that if they do not enjoy the good Dr. Lorrick's work they are more than welcome to treat themselves to the far quicker method of the Karness Amulet (except if they are Force sensitive as this inhibits the process).

P.S: (former) Dr. Lokin reminds the Ministry of Intelligence that he has already created a cure in the form of becoming fully sentient Rakghoul. "Keeper's apprehension towards this breakthrough is most counterproductive!"

Your second claims is completely false. And in regards to the first, infection carries literally no thing which is mechanically punitive. Not only can it be avoided more often than not, it barely affects moment to moment play in a way which severely threatens the player negatively. a level 5 player cannot enter a warzone, thus they are spared infection that way. They have very little reason to head to the Fleet (and I believe they actually cannot), they are thus spared again.

Credits are made fast in this game, post origin world. And furthermore, there is literally no appreciable "cost" from being infected. The idea that low level players are being forced to spend 2k every 6 hours or upon every death, is outright laughable. This has been brought to your attention more than once and yet, when it has, you've still resorted to alarmist and exaggerated claims of the infections affect on this subsection of the population.

Simply put, you're proselytizing about player actions and consequence would only matter if this event was shown to have an actual harmful effect. You've yet to even come close to showing this, instead resorting to various claims of uncertain veracity.

I'd be loathe to make such sweeping statements as you are, frankly. Outside of that, however, there are more effective and beneficial processes on servers as currently stands in regards to infection and sample acquisition than running around on origin worlds (which are sparsely populated as is). As such, I cannot see sufficient claim to accept the notion that origin world infection is at an all time high when compared to the aforementioned methods. Thus, it is inconsequential to the overall state of affairs. And even if it was occurring, you've never properly responded to the very true fact that death from infection has no costs and only gains.

Beyond this, we are dealing with a temporary occurrence. Temporary, with no appreciable negative effects either to the community or to individuals. All the moral appeals in the world fade into dust the moment this is realized. Respond if you will but I admit that I grow tired of giving your vague appeals more deference than they actual earn.

Edited by AlyxDinas

i think no matter what BW ( or Blizz etc) event organizes, there will allwys be a ton of people complaining they dont like it, ruins their fun etc. Personaly i had a ton of fun last night and spend more time then i intended on SWtoR trying to infect my share of 10 players. Now i get to do that with some of my other toons too hehehehehehe :cool:.

Hey, I'm nobody to object to some unfair PvP. I've taken level 50 characters into the opposing factions level 25- 30 spaceports and annoyed people here and there.

That's only one guy though, who's bored. Or, it may be one guy who happens to be in some low level place for some reason. It's a bit different from encouraging hoards of level 50s to go to the questing areas for level 24 players. That's just, honestly, a bad idea.

That's the thing, people gonna grief no matter what. So yeah, making a lowbie zone more attractive to 50s on pvp server not so great but honestly the dune sea is huge and you're really only gonna run into these guys in certain areas. It's not like many tatooine quests even revolve around those areas. So you really don't have much reason to want to poke your nose where these high level players are going to be. Furthermore, if you're on pvp server... you're bound to know at least 1 other person who has possibly got a level 50 toon who knows other level 50s who would be will to come grief some imperials and boom OPEN WORLD PVP! =)

the plague IS the event. recognize that. server life is more lively than it's been since EGA. get over it.
I'd hardly call an increase in people standing around quasi afk in fleet "more lively"

Mine too. It's all I've done all day! :D

The plague is a different story.

People need to recognize that those who are objecting are not objecting to the event, but only to the way the plague debuff is working and the negative impacts its having on server life.

They seem to be busy calling people names to actually pay any attention to what's being said.