Market system is useless, what is the point of 2 day limit?

PostalS

I haven't been able to find a single ship upgrade of any sort on the market for days now and my theory is that the 2 day limit is a big part of the problem on why selection is so poor for all items. Pls don't tell me how great the ship upgrade selection is on your particular server at a particular time, I'm just using it as an example.

The market system in this game is useless with a 2 day limit. There is very little on the market and I believe its because people simply don't bother posting small ticket items due to the 2 day limit.

With a 2 day limit, if a potential buyer misses even one day of gaming then they miss out on 50% of all the items available for sale. Bad for sales and discourages sellers from bothering... which discourages buyers from even looking and just reinforces a downward spiral.

With a 2 day limit, the items you post are constantly being mailed back to you and is a huge pain in the rear to re-post. Discourages sellers again.

I'm beginning to suspect that everyone has simply created a character to be their own personal crafter thereby not being dependent on others at all. This would of course lower sales, discourage sellers from putting in the effort, which means less stock... another downward spiral. I've concluded the only way to keep myself even somewhat equipped is to roll 6 characters, each specializing in a single crafting skill. If everyone does this then the market will truly be dead.

It seems as if the people who designed the 2 day limit, and to a lesser extent the deposit, have a mortal fear that people might use the exchange to buy and sell things. So they do everything they can to discourage that sort of behavior.

If I'm mistaken can someone please explain this to me? Not being able to find a single ship upgrade for days at a time doesn't seem reasonable to me.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd actually prefer BW implement a proper bidding system. I simply have no idea what many things (especially newer items) are worth. Thus I end up pricing things at what I believe is a ridiculously high amount.

Also, I think a bidding system would allow people to sell more items. I'll often see something on the GTN that I want, but feel is too high priced (some mods come to mind).

btw, I'm fine with the 2 day limit. I don't think that is an issue.

Edited by Cerion

I'd actually prefer BW implement a proper bidding system. I simply have no idea what many things (especially newer items) are worth. Thus I end up pricing things at what I believe is a ridiculously high amount.

Also, I think a bidding system would allow people to sell more items. I'll often see something on the GTN that I want, but feel is too high priced (some mods come to mind).

btw, I'm fine with the 2 day limit. I don't think that is an issue.

I like this :) would be nice if it followed an eBid/eBay system allowing for 1,3,5 and 7 day listings with active bidding instead of a fixed price. Would be nice to let the market set the price instead of hitting and hoping what you price it at is right.

I think the GTN is just broken since 1.2. if you look under relic, implant, earpiece and i think there are other catagories there is nothing listed, but if you search by specific name stuff will pop up that belongs in those catagories

As a seller, since there is not really a penalty for listing things if they don't sell I just relist it when I log back in. Not hard to do. You could also create a cybertech to fill a market need for your server......

Edit: I've financed speeders for characters on both sides of the faction line using the GTN to sell stuff.

Pick trade, learn blue, learn purple, create purple, sell for solid profit but not tooooo outrageous a price, and have your speeder when you hit level 25.

I'll give you a clue, low level orange chest pieces don't sell that well since everyone and their brother has access to one by level 15.

Edited by BucMan

It's designed to keep people playing, and checking in, and making the world more lively than if you could just set a 14 day auction and check in every now and then.

It also helps curb those who want to just play the markets. If you're really going to do it, you're going to need to be dedicated to it.

In addition, this keeps the market "clean", so to speak. If a bunch of players log in and put everything they have up for sale, and then log out of the game and don't come back, how long should their stuff stay up?

With a two day limit, within a few days, their items are all cleared out of the system and the items remaining are those from more frequent players.

I really have never seen a problem with this. Even with me repricing everything that I put up on auction, it takes a minute or two at most to place an entire inventory of stuff up. And if it comes back twice, I know to start ratcheting the price downward.

it is bugged and its not the only thing. i just hope when they do the maintence on tues they do a hotfix. i make the best earpieces on my server and was makin alot on them now they dont show and i am pissed.

It's an issue on unpopulated servers / factions.

Actually, I think you have a good point here. Two day limit is probably fine on servers with a lot of traffic (hesitate to use the word population). I myself craft items, but sometimes don't log in for a few days. So my frequency of restocking/relisting items is low. If your server only has a handful of dedicated, daily crafter types, they might have trouble meeting demand.

At least one person clearly didn't read the argument I made at all.

As a seller I have posted many items far below the recommend price just to get rid of them. All sorts of good items that I'm sure lots of people would like to have. But they don't sell even at dirt cheap prices. Sometimes 20 items at a time come back to my mailbox. So I give up. Yes, it IS a pain to repost them for even dirtier cheap prices. This is especially true for low ticket items. Example. My higher level character is crafting from the beginning. Most of what he is making is low level and useless to him. But its the sort of stuff I would have loved to have at lower levels. I know many others must feel that way. But is it worth my time to go post and re post lots of low priced items that probably won't sell within 2 days? Time wise I would make more money doing space missions. (Pls dont talk about RE, thats another topic entirely...)

Think about this. If you fail to log in even ONE day and check the market, you have in effect missed 50% of the available items on the entire market. (Yes, thats assuming the items for sale are evenly posted.) I don't think that's a reasonable amount of time for people to shop. Not everyone logs in every day or even every other day. People have jobs, family, term papers, etc... I would think a week is more reasonable for people to have a chance to find your items. 2 days is reasonable only for people who play constantly and check the market constantly.

As a buyer I have frequently thought about going to the market to look for mods, ship upgrades etc... and thought to myself, screw it. The walk is too far and you know there is nothing ever there. I'm sure others have thought this way as well. Fewer buyers discourages sellers, including myself, even further.

This is my second MMO, my first was STO. In STO you can post things for at least a week and there is no deposit necessary. Both factions post to the same market network and there is a vast selection available. I never have to worry about finding a reasonably priced item. There is almost always something available or will be soon. I can't believe that a development company as screwed up as that one would make a feature so much more enjoyable to use than that of TOR.

Another way to think about it is this. What is the point in so many criteria selections for the Tor market when they are almost entirely unnecessary due to the fact of low market selection? I don't need to select rarity because there are only a few pages, if youre lucky, of items to sort through.

Think about this. If you fail to log in even ONE day and check the market, you have in effect missed 50% of the available items on the entire market. (Yes, thats assuming the items for sale are evenly posted.) I don't think that's a reasonable amount of time for people to shop.

No. If you don't log in for one day and everything is posted for two days, you miss nothing.

No. If you don't log in for one day and everything is posted for two days, you miss nothing.

Do you understand how a distribution curve works? Not everything posted was posted at the beginning of that day you missed. Half of it would have been posted before, half afterwards. Thats assuming even a somewhat evenly distributed posting of items available for sale.

Yes, you have pretty much missed half of available inventory.

Did 1.2 change to a max of 2 days?

But side note the GTN is broken and if you just search for say.. Ship parts it comes up blanks

You need to search for ship parts then select prototype or something and they pop up. Thats the reason **** isnt selling right now people dont know this bug and just assume no ship parts are for sale.

At least one person clearly didn't read the argument I made at all.

No, everyone understood you perfectly. Not everyone agreed with you. Not agreeing with you doesn't mean they didn't understand your argument.

Their point is that you don't need to list items for longer than two days. If something doesn't sell in two days, chances are that either it won't sell at all, the price is too high, or it's an item that doesn't sell fast. I'll relist something, maybe, twice before vendoring it, but listing for longer than two days simply isn't needed. In my opinion, the system currently in place, as far as listing time goes, is fine.

Did 1.2 change to a max of 2 days?

As far as I know, the GTN has always been 2 days and is still days max.

Edited by terminova

Do you understand how a distribution curve works? Not everything posted was posted at the beginning of that day you missed. Half of it would have been posted before, half afterwards. Thats assuming even a somewhat evenly distributed posting of items available for sale.

Yes, you have pretty much missed half of available inventory.

I'll make this easy for you. Assume I missed Wednesday. Do I miss the things posted Tuesday? No, I was on Tuesday. Do I miss the things posted Wednesday? No, I saw them Thursday. Do I miss the things posted Thursday? No, I saw them Thursday. What 50% of items did I miss?

If I'm mistaken can someone please explain this to me? Not being able to find a single ship upgrade for days at a time doesn't seem reasonable to me.

On starship upgrades you need to filter specifically to Prototype or Artifact, or nothing will show. If no one is selling, ask in general for a Cybertech builder and pass them the mats, or ask in guild. I seriously doubt they are missing from the GTN across an entire server though, sounds more like you are not seeing them due to the filtering system (which is crap or may well be bugged).

Agree with your argument that two days is too short though. If there is to be a dynamic, player driven market in SWTOR, we could do with:

• Longer sell orders
  • The ability to create buy orders
  • The gradual removal of all goods from NPC sellers

I don't get the argument here. Why impose the limitations, if someone wants to post an item for 2 days great, if someone wanted to post an item for 7 days thats great too, why create more rules/walls in our way when the game should cater for everyone how they want to play.

I think two days isn't all that great, I'm often away for 4 days of the week due to other life commitments and don't have access to the intenet during this time. If I wanted to sell anything I would much prefer if I could do so over a longer period of time. This would also be beneficial for say anyone going on holiday etc.

I don't get the argument here. Why impose the limitations, if someone wants to post an item for 2 days great, if someone wanted to post an item for 7 days thats great too, why create more rules/walls in our way when the game should cater for everyone how they want to play.

I think two days isn't all that great, I'm often away for 4 days of the week due to other life commitments and don't have access to the intenet during this time. If I wanted to sell anything I would much prefer if I could do so over a longer period of time. This would also be beneficial for say anyone going on holiday etc.

The more people the game tries to cater to, the more watered down it becomes.

The more people the game tries to cater to, the more watered down it becomes.

Thats true in some cases but not all, were talking about access to the trade market not giving everyone epics from talking to an NPC to cater for the casuals.

Thats true in some cases but not all, were talking about access to the trade market not giving everyone epics from talking to an NPC to cater for the casuals.

I couldn't agree with this more. My gawd... its like some of these people are psychologically conditioned to accept whatever they're given regardless of how bad the situation is. I truly cannot begin to understand this mindset. The other mindset is of those who think "your situation doesn't apply to me personally, therefore logically it isn't a problem for anyone."

I can't believe that with the vast resource superiority this game has over STO and the years of experience working with ST galaxies that STO actually has a few things to teach TOR.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.