Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is there ANY armor where set boni are bound to the mod?

Laurreth

The ONE thing I've been looking forward to was to rip the set boni out of the abysmally ugly PvP gear and stick it in some decent low-level orange stuff. Same for the "LOOK MA I'M WEARING TURTLES ON MY HANDS AND A SAILBOAT ON MY HEAD!" Consular Columni crap.

Guess what, NEITHER of those sets seems to have their set boni tied to the armor mod. Now I'm 150k credits down, have probably grinded away my desire to play warzones with the community of quitters and zergers on Jar'kai Sword just to get a new Battlemaster tunic for what appears to be nothing.

What "endgame" armor does that mechanic apply to? Is there anything useful that doesn't require months of grind?

Edited by Laurreth
Was more expensive that I first thought

I did the same thing. Communication on this issue from devs was not good. But you know what? Screw it---I'll wear what I like without the set bonuses. Losing 5 extra energy or an extra second on Dodge is not going to suddenly make me start losing a bunch of fights.

These aren't WoW set bonuses that are so good that they change how you prioritize your actions. They hardly matter in most fights, actually.

Edited by RolyartNala

I did the same thing. Communication on this issue from devs was not good. But you know what? Screw it---I'll wear what I like without the set bonuses. Losing 5 extra energy or an extra second on Dodge is not going to suddenly make me start losing a bunch of fights.

These aren't WoW set bonuses that are so good that they change how you prioritize your actions. They hardly matter in most fights, actually.

I panicked until I found this out. Good point man.

FWIW, the "memo" read like the change applied to set items bought after 1.2, not just new sets.

wrong, only WH and new OP gear has set bonus attached to armor. You can buy full BM post 1.2 and transfer all mods to orange gear and you WIL NOT have set bonus.

I bought 2 BM parts post 1.2 and put mods in augmented orange BM and no set bonus. Sorry.

That's true, but it seems rather short-sighted that the boni weren't moved to the mods, seeing how the items themselves were completely rewritten anyway. At least for the Consular/Whateverthedarksidehashere they're nice to have with a 3 second (that's >10%) reduction of the absorb bubble lockout and a small HoT for Noble Sacrifice.

Edited by Laurreth

not that i know anything about mmo development but i am a software developer. it seems strange to just allow this on 'new' gear when in the way you'd normally code this would in fact require 'more' work than just allowing it on all.

but i do know they work off a lot of spreadsheets rather than just code so i guess they'd have to change every set in the game (not that there's 'that' many) rather than being able to write one reusable piece of code for the lot.

but what do i know :D

either way its very irritating and not well mentioned at all. i only know this from being told by 1 person in guild and even though i said it multiple times i augment crafted warhero gear for a friend he went and tried to change his mods last night then complained when the set bonus didnt move over.

i really hope BW add this functionality to all sets, there is really nothing to lose or gain for anyone other than changing their looks so please, let the masses do this.

cant even make it look like you've got better gear than you already have, at least with pvp items, as the crafted gear is still valor bound.

FYI

The plural of bonus is bonuses

The word derives from Latin. If we were talking in Latin the plural would be 'bona'. However we are talking in English and so the plural is 'bonuses'.

'Boni' is not correct in either language.

Moreover, in the context in which you are using the word - where you are talking about the armour bonus being transferable with the mod, I think you need to take special care over whether you need to use the singular or the plural: (for example)

1) "The set bonus does not move with the mod" (is singular)

OR

2) "When removing mods the set bonuses do not follow" (is plural)

Thank you and please carry on.

Edited by Hunny_Bun

FYI

The word derives from Latin. If we were talking in Latin the plural would be 'bona'. However we are talking in English and so the plural is 'bonuses'.

In english, you might be right. In latin you are partly wrong. Bona is the plural of 'good things', but bonum would be the singular of that.

As the use of bonus (good man) is prevalent, the plural actually is boni - but this didn't transfer to the english language (as opposed to other languages like italian and german).

Both words are nominalizations of the adjective bonus, -a, -um and each has its own plural ofc. When you say bonus, you gotta stick with boni (in latin, not english).

Boni is totally correct in Latin and many other languages, just not in english.^^

Edited by wtfnonamefree

That's true, but it seems rather short-sighted that the boni weren't moved to the mods, seeing how the items themselves were completely rewritten anyway. At least for the Consular/Whateverthedarksidehashere they're nice to have with a 3 second (that's >10%) reduction of the absorb bubble lockout and a small HoT for Noble Sacrifice.

"Boni" /snicker

I'm picturing something completely different than what you intended.

:p

FYI

Moreover, in the context in which you are using the word - where you are talking about the armour bonus being transferable with the mod, I think you need to take special care over whether you need to use the singular or the plural: (for example)

1) "The set bonus does not move with the mod" (is singular)

OR

2) "When removing mods the set bonuses do not follow" (is plural)

Thank you and please carry on.

Seriously...you interject all that into a conversation about set bonuses but don't even comment on the OP's post?

/smh

In english, you might be right. In latin you are partly wrong. Bona is the plural of 'good things', but bonum would be the singular of that.

As the use of bonus (good man) is prevalent, the plural actually is boni - but this didn't transfer to the english language (as opposed to other languages like italian and german).

Both words are nominalizations of the adjective bonus, -a, -um and each has its own plural ofc. When you say bonus, you gotta stick with boni (in latin, not english).

Boni is totally correct in Latin and many other languages, just not in english.^^

Yes I see. I took the English use of 'bonus' to mean 'good thing' (thus it is a corruption of bonum). Thus the plural bona.

Bonus doesn't (as far as I am aware) in English ever have the usage of 'good man' which it had in Latin.

So I focused on the meaning of the English word and the plural of its Latin counterpart.

But your point is very interesting and raises I think the question of why English doesn't have a word for 'good man'

Thus leaving us all intellectually excited and me in the rather glorius position of still being right :)

Would denying the set bonus on say..Jedi Knight for instance really effect end-game performance? I'd really rather just make myself look how I want with orange gear I actually own. Not a huge fan of the end-game sets, but don't want to hold groups back.

but i do know they work off a lot of spreadsheets rather than just code so i guess they'd have to change every set in the game (not that there's 'that' many) rather than being able to write one reusable piece of code for the lot.

True, and then there's the intern who writes the tooltips and gets it wrong all the time :D That general area has been producing a lot of bugs reeking of weak design.

i really hope BW add this functionality to all sets, there is really nothing to lose or gain for anyone other than changing their looks so please, let the masses do this.

Except now it'd be really hard to pull off, since people have already ripped the old mods from the bonus-encrusted shells, so no matter what, people would be sad about the way it's handled.

Virusiiæ!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.