The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fix the resolve bar and Merc healers.

elefka

Ok i post rarely but i ve had it.

The resolve bar mechanic was a bad design from the start but after 1.2 there are no words to describe the failure. Rename the game to Stun Wars or fix the damn thing please. People get stun half the time. Me as a healer i am 70% of the time stun. Implement diminishing returns or do something anything to fix it.

Second, i thing Bodyguards got a big nerf. At least remove the 16 heat from Kolto shell.

• 4 weeks later...
I totally agree with this post. Stun Wars is a great name for this game. I have basically had it as well. I have never played an MMO where you are basically rooted stunned etc. etc. etc. for a majority of PvP. The only time this does not happen is when you’re running back or running to a location where there are no players to attack you. The Resolve bar is completely a Joke. It only kicks in after you been stunned, rooted, kicked back, Pulled and force choked and once your dead the 100% full resolve bar reminds you when you revive as it runs down to zero how pathetically useless it was during all the CCs that just killed you. I have read all the BS forms about how you need to manage your CC’s so as not to fill up someone’s resolve bar to fast and don’t pop your brake until it is full “What a Joke”. On my Sith warrior tank I can completely Stun rrape someone easily. I hit them with a quick stun then kick them ½ across the map then jump on them beat the **** out of them then force choke them for another 5 sec and after that if they are not dead I just fear them for 8 sec and move on to some other dumb *** and do it all over again. Even when they use there stun brake I can still cc rrape them good. Resolve bar is an easy fix but I guess Stun Wars is not a priority for the Developers in this game.

The best healer I know is a merc healer... 0.o

*I'm not saying merc healers aren't broke. I just wanted to say it for some reason. I have no clue if they're broke because I just don't know enough about them.*

Edited by GemG

In the first post I see someone who doesn't understand team play and how it relates to Resolve. Resolve works great when you have a dedicated healer and tank who understand how to do their jobs. i.e. keeping you alive through a 'stun lock' so that when you're CC immune you get to wreck face.

In the second post I see someone who is excessively anecdotal (show me combat logs pl0x), and apparently thinks PvP revolves around 1v1?

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

Oh, and Elefka? I'm a healer too. I'm stunned maybe 5-10% of the time. Positioning is key. Knowing when to pop your CC breaker is too (i.e. can you bite the full stun duration without dying? If yes, don't use, if no, use and reposition).

In the first post I see someone who doesn't understand team play and how it relates to Resolve. Resolve works great when you have a dedicated healer and tank who understand how to do their jobs. i.e. keeping you alive through a 'stun lock' so that when you're CC immune you get to wreck face.

In the second post I see someone who is excessively anecdotal (show me combat logs pl0x), and apparently thinks PvP revolves around 1v1?

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

Oh, and Elefka? I'm a healer too. I'm stunned maybe 5-10% of the time. Positioning is key. Knowing when to pop your CC breaker is too (i.e. can you bite the full stun duration without dying? If yes, don't use, if no, use and reposition).

I like your signature, just one thing though, we are still beta testing it, but now we get to pay for it too!

I like your signature, just one thing though, we are still beta testing it, but now we get to pay for it too!

Welcome to MMOs? A living game is always being 'tested.' Hence why all MMOs get post retail support patches. SWTOR is no different.

Nice try, though.

Someone never played WoW seriously if he thinks that DR > Resolve.

Just for your information, a lot of CC heavy teams can pack you in longer into CC than anyone can do here thanks to resolve. Some worst case scenarios:

Against a MLS:

As a caster:

DF (5s) -> RoF (8s) -> Sheep (4s) -> Sheep (2s) -> Deatchoil (3s) -> Fear (8s)-> Fear (4s)-> Fear (2s) -> ICS (4s) -> Spellock (1.5 sec)

41.5 seconds in which you can do nothing. Still convinced DRs are so much better?

And if you are melee it gets even better against for example MLD:

Freeze (8s) -> FN (4s) -> CoC (4s) -> DF (5s) -> RoF (8s) -> Sheep (4s) -> Sheep (2s) now DR for roots are already gone so -> Roots (8s) -> Roots (4s) -> Roots (2s) -> Deathcoil (3s) -> Fear (8s) -> Fear (4s) -> Fear (2s) after only 2 seconds DR for roots is gone so they can start then whole rotation again minus Deathcoil but lets just add the first rotation together: 56 seconds and only 2 seconds DR until they can go for another full round on you once your trinket and your CC breaker(s) on CD.

Still convinced DRs are so much better than Resolve? :rolleyes:

Welcome to MMOs? A living game is always being 'tested.' Hence why all MMOs get post retail support patches. SWTOR is no different.

Nice try, though.

So defensive and yes, I agree, you improve and fine tune the game, but you test stuff on a "testing server". You don't put stuff to be tested, not give enough people the chance to test it and/or when everybody says stuff isn't working or stuff isn't right then you push it live regardless.

So defensive and yes, I agree, you improve and fine tune the game, but you test stuff on a "testing server". You don't put stuff to be tested, not give enough people the chance to test it and/or when everybody says stuff isn't working or stuff isn't right then you push it live regardless.

Legions of unskilled complainers does not equal quality feedback. BioWare gets enough metrics to know when the forum community is exaggerating anecdotes. Don't pretend like BioWare is the only developer who makes mistakes. Blizzard had to come up with fancy hotfix technology because of how many dumb decisions they made with WoW.

This is all normal MMO growing pains. If you still want to complain just cause you can, go ahead. But don't try to play the victim of some conspiracy. BioWare isn't trying to make the game bad. That's called financial suicide, and you can bet the TOR team wants to keep their jobs.

Edit: Also, that guy with all the DR math. Yus. That's exactly what I think of WoW's system. Utter crap. It's the worst for healers, cause mini-stuns on DR act as interrupts. 2 stuns in TOR is not a 'stunlock.' xP

Edited by Aikiyc

Legions of unskilled complainers does not equal quality feedback. BioWare gets enough metrics to know when the forum community is exaggerating anecdotes. Don't pretend like BioWare is the only developer who makes mistakes. Blizzard had to come up with fancy hotfix technology because of how many dumb decisions they made with WoW.

This is all normal MMO growing pains. If you still want to complain just cause you can, go ahead. But don't try to play the victim of some conspiracy. BioWare isn't trying to make the game bad. That's called financial suicide, and you can bet the TOR team wants to keep their jobs.

Edit: Also, that guy with all the DR math. Yus. That's exactly what I think of WoW's system. Utter crap. It's the worst for healers, cause mini-stuns on DR act as interrupts. 2 stuns in TOR is not a 'stunlock.' xP

Amen.

You seem to have the victim mindset here not me. All I implied was that this is still in beta mode for BioWare as they have never done an MMO before.

"Legions of unskilled complainers" are their player base, doesn't matter if you, I or BioWare likes it. If they are not having fun then they quit - no matter what the "quality" metrics say

Never implied it nor have I ever played a Blizzard game.

Edited by Easpeak

Thanks for reminding me, Impact is on no DR in those teams so add in a couple of extra 2/1/0.5 seconds depending on procc rate. And yes I play zeh efil maegz! ;)

Edited by Vales

You seem to have the victim mindset here not me. All I implied was that this is still in beta mode for BioWare as they have never done an MMO before.

"Legions of unskilled complainers" are their player base, doesn't matter if you, I or BioWare likes it. If they are not having fun then they quit - no matter what the "quality" metrics say

Never implied it nor have I ever played a Blizzard game.

I don't know who's posts you've been reading, but I haven't been playing the victim. BioWare isn't bowing to your every wish, so you seem to think it's some sort of a retail beta game. And you're sticking to that line. Seems like you're the victim here, friend.

Blizzard gets the same stuff on StarCraft. Tons of players who call for nerfs or buffs to this or that. Do they listen? HELL NO. Cause it would break the tight balance on their game. BioWare is no different. The medium is different, as it's inherently more difficult to have an ultra tight balance like an RTS can. Players can feel like they should get what they want, but if it's not good for the game, it's not going to happen.

I don't know who's posts you've been reading, but I haven't been playing the victim. BioWare isn't bowing to your every wish, so you seem to think it's some sort of a retail beta game. And you're sticking to that line. Seems like you're the victim here, friend.

Blizzard gets the same stuff on StarCraft. Tons of players who call for nerfs or buffs to this or that. Do they listen? HELL NO. Cause it would break the tight balance on their game. BioWare is no different. The medium is different, as it's inherently more difficult to have an ultra tight balance like an RTS can. Players can feel like they should get what they want, but if it's not good for the game, it's not going to happen.

Bowing to my every wish? I don't think I've made a single wish/request at all - but if you know my secret wish then please share it with me too, buddy.

Retail beta game? Because that is exactly how you described it:

A living game is always being 'tested.' Hence why all MMOs get post retail support patches. SWTOR is no different.

So when you stop contradicting yourself or stop bringing Blizzard arguments then go ahead, otherwise you don't have to reply, bro.

Alikiyc

Easpeak is right that you contradicting yourself and quoting Blizzard damage control arguments is pretty pathetic. How much are they paying you to defend their beta testing game?

Aikiyc I guess you don’t really know the dynamic of PvP very well based on your response. Try repositioning when you are rooted every 5 sec. When I have a guild pocket healer with my tank when I PvP I basically kill at ease. Between the two of us we can root when resolve is full or cooling down on a victim then rotate the stun again once they are ripe for the picking. It is really easy to keep a person locked in place as long as you want in this game especially when you have a team mate like you mentioned. We even keep one person locked in the corner in one Hutt Ball game for over 8 minutes. We basically would not kill him but wanted to see how long we could keep someone completely immobile. Every now and then he could fight back with a hit or two but for the most part he was SOL.

Since Blizzard is basically beta testing this game live they make changes on the fly without fully vetting the in-game impact to the community as a whole? For Example, Take a look at the changes made to the Mercenary class after patch 1.2. Blizzard has basically cut the legs out from under that class. Two of my guilders have quite playing the game over it already. I can tear threw them like paper in PvP now with our really worring about them damaging me like they usto. Read the Merc. forms and see how happy they are about the changes.

My point before is that CC in this game is way out of control and combined with other major class bugs that have been around for a long time it has made many casual players as well as hard core PvP pros stop playing the game all together. The basic fact is that the game is shooting itself in the foot pretty hard right now. People are getting so frustrated with Blizzard not addressing the main issues and making changes on the fly that they are leaving the game in droves. 24 people in my PvP guild I have played with since the game whent live have already left after patch 1.2 because they were pissed off about all the bugs and nerfs in the game and are tired of having to change to classes that are PvP power houses. I am also letting my account sub run out and will go find a game that is not so buggy.

The Warriors of the Shadow sever I started on was one of the most active PvP servers in the game. I choose it because I wanted an active server. Now it is hard to find people wanting to queue up for PvP except a peak spike times. I moved to another active server and now I am seeing the same thing happening there as well. People are already talking about merging servers. That is not a good sign. I hope they work things out but after playing this game since it launched and leveling a healer, tank, and 3 dps classes to lv50 I am done waiting for blizzard to get of their asses and fix these things. So you can say what you want about people whining about issues in the game but people are not leaving in mass numbers because they are happy.

Alikiyc

Easpeak is right that you contradicting yourself and quoting Blizzard damage control arguments is pretty pathetic. How much are they paying you to defend their beta testing game?

Aikiyc I guess you don’t really know the dynamic of PvP very well based on your response. Try repositioning when you are rooted every 5 sec. When I have a guild pocket healer with my tank when I PvP I basically kill at ease. Between the two of us we can root when resolve is full or cooling down on a victim then rotate the stun again once they are ripe for the picking. It is really easy to keep a person locked in place as long as you want in this game especially when you have a team mate like you mentioned. We even keep one person locked in the corner in one Hutt Ball game for over 8 minutes. We basically would not kill him but wanted to see how long we could keep someone completely immobile. Every now and then he could fight back with a hit or two but for the most part he was SOL.

Since Blizzard is basically beta testing this game live they make changes on the fly without fully vetting the in-game impact to the community as a whole? For Example, Take a look at the changes made to the Mercenary class after patch 1.2. Blizzard has basically cut the legs out from under that class. Two of my guilders have quite playing the game over it already. I can tear threw them like paper in PvP now with our really worring about them damaging me like they usto. Read the Merc. forms and see how happy they are about the changes.

My point before is that CC in this game is way out of control and combined with other major class bugs that have been around for a long time it has made many casual players as well as hard core PvP pros stop playing the game all together. The basic fact is that the game is shooting itself in the foot pretty hard right now. People are getting so frustrated with Blizzard not addressing the main issues and making changes on the fly that they are leaving the game in droves. 24 people in my PvP guild I have played with since the game whent live have already left after patch 1.2 because they were pissed off about all the bugs and nerfs in the game and are tired of having to change to classes that are PvP power houses. I am also letting my account sub run out and will go find a game that is not so buggy.

The Warriors of the Shadow sever I started on was one of the most active PvP servers in the game. I choose it because I wanted an active server. Now it is hard to find people wanting to queue up for PvP except a peak spike times. I moved to another active server and now I am seeing the same thing happening there as well. People are already talking about merging servers. That is not a good sign. I hope they work things out but after playing this game since it launched and leveling a healer, tank, and 3 dps classes to lv50 I am done waiting for blizzard to get of their asses and fix these things. So you can say what you want about people whining about issues in the game but people are not leaving in mass numbers because they are happy.

Didn't know that Blizzard makes this game...

Alikiyc

I'm not contradicting myself. When I say that a living game is always being 'tested.' And put the word tested in quotes like that, it means I'm being a bit derisive, i.e. I'm not being serious. But, since you want to leave other MMO companies out of the debate (debates are built on references and examples from other areas, ***, is your argument so weak you can't stand up to a real debate???), I can deal. Oh, and I'm not getting paid at all. I live in Seattle, and pay THEM my $15 a month just like you.

You want to know who really won that engagement, friend? The person you locked down. You allowed one person. ONE person, to tie up 2 players for 8 minutes. 1 for 2 is not a good trade. Your team was a man down over theirs. So yes, you could keep him contained for 8 minutes, but... You didn't accomplish anything.

Roots aren't a stun. And he sounds like a bad player. Every class could get out of that with a timely CC breaker and stun/vanish. And all roots, iirc, are at least on a 12 second CD. So unless you're getting focused (which means you're utterly screwed anyways, why are you complaining), you're rooted for 2 seconds under fire, 5 if left alone or hit by a sticky knockback. 2 stuns before you're whited out. Pop a CC breaker, maybe a pot, and bolt for cover. Again, if you're being chased by 2 or 3 people, you're screwed anyways, and why are we having this discussion?

I'll ignore the mentions to Blizzard as an honest mistake for clarity. BioWare has already talked about this part. They've said... 50k or even 100k is simply not enough people on a PTS to find every bug and fully test the limits of all changes. They can find some bugs, and give cursory feedback, but it's the trial by fire with one million players crawling over the code inside and out where the rest of the problems are worked out. Also, by this time, usually the bugs are very small, but legions of players bringing it to the attention of the forums can make it seem much bigger than it is.

If you look back at the patch notes for 1.2, you'd notice that several changes made to mercs and commandos were rolled back or reevaluated several times before release. Mercs and commandos are no longer unstoppable death on legs. Same with operatives and scounds. They're much more in line damage-wise. Unfortunately, yes, that does not include mobility issues. But mercs and commandos are akin to a caster from a fantasy game. Mobility is always a problem, and you find ways to deal with it accordingly, or give up and jump ship.

As my own anecdote, mercs and commandos on my server are doing the same as ever. The good ones absolutely wreck face with good positioning, CC, and teamwork. The bad ones are still awful and get shredded like paper as you described.

Nobody is making your guildies reroll. The fact that they are, and aren't sucking it up and learning to deal with what they have means they're probably baddies who just enjoy facerolling noobs without real, skilled effort. But I don't know them, so that's really just my guess. It seems pretty common with the crowd who enjoys World PvP and is always switching to the most OP class every patch.

What I think is laughable about your statement is that you say BioWare isn't addressing the main issues, when in fact, that's exactly what they did with 1.2. Nerfs hurt, I know. But the balance is much much tighter now than it was before. Unfortunately, whenever someone is nerfed, they feel it's a personal assault, and sometimes it results in a lost sub. That ain't BioWare's fault. That's the subscriber's. And I haven't noticed any glaring bugs. Some latency and client performance issues, yeah. But that's optimization. Give it time, it'll come.

People are leaving this game in droves because their expectations have been driven much, much too high in recent years. The irony of the talk of server merges, and people quitting cause there aren't server transfers, is hilarious. The quitters are making the problem worse by depopulating the servers.

But, you know. If you're not having fun, it's your $15. Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm still having fun, so I'll still be here. :t_biggrin:

I am a merc healer and I am instantly targeted and focus fired get used to it as it is just going to happen more when you go against better players. As for resolve I love when people try and cc me. Do not get scared and pop your unbreakable will on the first stun you should be able to survive it the second stun usually caps your resolve this is when I love to pop UW and put shell on if need be and just enjoy the free uninterrupted/ccd healing with their whole team on me. IMO the 16 heat kolto shell sucks but just throw in 2 rapid shots after it and there is no leftover heat and you healed for ~2k on that one person. You really shouldn't have a problem with heat if you play smart and manage your cool downs effectively. Edited by OG-Azrael

I am a merc healer and I am instantly targeted and focus fired get used to it as it is just going to happen more when you go against better players. As for resolve I love when people try and cc me. Do not get scared and pop your unbreakable will on the first stun you should be able to survive it the second stun usually caps your resolve this is when I love to pop UW and put shell on if need be and just enjoy the free uninterrupted/ccd healing with their whole team on me. IMO the 16 heat kolto shell sucks but just throw in 2 rapid shots after it and there is no leftover heat and you healed for ~2k on that one person. You really shouldn't have a problem with heat if you play smart and manage your cool downs effectively.

This is pretty much my thoughts and play style for Merc healing. Bodyguard is fine and I never have heat problems unless I am all out spamming, and even then I have my tricks. The only thing I can honestly complain about is Kolto shell which (IMO) should either cost 8 heat, or cost 16 and have 5 charges that do twice as much healing per tick instead of 10. In regards to resolve, often times in Huttball I will "juke the fire" until players resolve cap me before I attempt to cross with the ball.

As a smuggler hybrid healer there are a couple of classes that can keep me stuned/ cc'd until I die. Especialy if my cc imunity is down. I have noticed alot I seem to be cc'd with full resolve. I know the difference between snare and root and cc. I am not sure if its class specific bc my sage friend says he never gets cc'd with full resolve.

Regardless no class should have the ability to keep somone stunned interupted or cc'd till dead.

/subscribe for the tips. A couple of you I would love to watch play if you have done YouTube vids or the like.

I think we could tidy this up and get a thread going in the class section for other bodyguards. Tips and tricks to counter the nerf and just a general play better thread.

Cheers.

I remember in WoW- the classes that could keep you completely knocked down were like, the affliction lock who did slow but steady dots damage and needed to be able to chain fear- and the mage with chain polymorphs.

Problem here is- the best CC in the game is roots... and the best roots in the game belong to the strongest melee dps classes- while some ranged classes don't even get a single root unless they spec into it.

Put roots on the resolve list- you'll see a massive improvement instantly.

I remember in WoW- the classes that could keep you completely knocked down were like, the affliction lock who did slow but steady dots damage and needed to be able to chain fear- and the mage with chain polymorphs.

Problem here is- the best CC in the game is roots... and the best roots in the game belong to the strongest melee dps classes- while some ranged classes don't even get a single root unless they spec into it.

Put roots on the resolve list- you'll see a massive improvement instantly.

I dunno, I think putting roots inot the resolve system would actually screw over ever ranged class in the game.

And the best roots imo belong to Sorc and Snipers., AOE knockbacks with 5 second roots > single target 3 second root.