5 Years and How Can It Be This Bugged?

permz

The game JUST came out of Beta... hell, it's not even released yet technically. Calm down.

This must be your first MMO launch experience, none of the MMO's worth mentioning in the last 10 years have had this smooth of a launch. Bioware is doing everything right, and at this rate they'll be set for the gold standard of MMO launches.

Edited by Shivire

i hope you are trolling.... NO MMO has ever launched with so few bugs.... infact no MMO has ever dreamed of having this kind of launch its very stable and very very few bugs in the client.

I think you are the troll. Please remove yourself from this thread.

I've played for 3 days straight now, and I've yet to run into any bugs, lag, or CTDs.

However, I am very much disappointed in the game overall. They had 5 years of development time and 100+ million dollars to play with, and they came up with such poor game design, animation design, user interface design. It is as if the game was developed by a 5-man studio with a 100 thousand dollar budget instead of a 100 million dollar budget.

This title is like a static movie, or one of those old school choose-your-own adventure books. You're just there for the ride passively watching the world instead of actively participating/changing it. Once players burn through all the cut-scenes and cheesy voice-overs in two months, there is nothing else to do--nothing to engage and hook the player. The game has zero substance after that. The voice-overs are so ridiculously bad that I started to spacebar through them once I got to level 15.

I've played for 3 days straight now, and I've yet to run into any bugs, lag, or CTDs.

However, I am very much disappointed in the game overall. They had 5 years of development time and 100+ million dollars to play with, and they came up with such poor game design, animation design, user interface design. It is as if the game was developed by a 5-man studio with a 100 thousand dollar budget instead of a 100 million dollar budget.

This title is like a static movie, or one of those old school choose-your-own adventure books. You're just there for the ride passively watching the world instead of actively participating/changing it. Once players burn through all the cut-scenes and cheesy voice-overs in two months, there is nothing else to do--nothing to engage and hook the player. The game has zero substance after that. The voice-overs are so ridiculously bad that I started to spacebar through them once I got to level 15.

/reads your name....

Eh, fine, I'll bite. Bioware has been very open about the linear questing, if you're just now finding out about it you need to pull your head out of the place you poop from. How do you know there is no substance after the story line if you've had no more than 4 days to play the finished game (emphasis on "finished"). Also, spacebarring through through the story in a story driven MMO... no wonder you're disappointed.

Edited by Shivire

We all throw those rose tinted glasses on sometimes.

I know people would disagree (probably the same one's that feel this was a disaster), but I think the last big MMO had a really good launch too (won't bother naming it so as not to lock the thread, in the event they do that sort of thing here).

So yes, awesome launch, in my opinion. I've been playing when I want, the game is really smooth (though speaking of smooth, please put AA back :p).

And 'launch' problems aren't:

1) I didn't get invited the first day.

2) There aren't 20 raids and 15 PvP battlegrounds at end game? Pfft...fail!

3) The server I want to play on is full.

4) My name is taken.

Those are all that old Guns-n-Roses song: Welcome to the Genre :p

I can probably name 'older' games safely, since I'm going to speak badly about them now. :p

UO: Well after launch, I remember crafting like 90 shields to go sell in a town one day, only to have a 4 hour roll back and all my work was lost. There were roll back problems in WoW early on too, I recall, but I haven't seen them since then in MMOs. Thank [insert favorite deity or spaghetti monster here], that was a killer.

AO: Now, I had the best rig at the time, so it wasn't as hard on me, I could actually 'move around' outside the starting area, but my friends...as soon as they'd step out of the starting area, it was like they were stopping to take a picture and admiring it for 20 seconds every time they took a step! In Funcom's defense, they pretty well squashed the worst of it in a week.

WoW: Don't remember too much about launch, since I played starting with the FaF beta in 12/03, but falling through the world was common. Especially us poor Alliance trying to run back to Goldshire up the little hill to the road there from the mines!

Played lots of others (DAoC, LotRO, AoC), though I don't remember their launches much (I think AoC, again - Funcom, had some performance issues - hey - they like to cater to the hottest rigs at the time - no harm, no foul).

Off to play! :D

Edited by Qishari
quoted rude comments

5 Years in development and it still has issues with playing with friends. I am thankful.. but after 5 years why is your settup still bugged?

They cant Fix Every Bug, Rifght away -Then Their the Ones that Dont get Reported -due to thouse wishing to uses them for advantages and exploits.

Edited by Lasarith

I enjoy the Voice-overs my self and I know many do. While you have a valid opinion it does not hold true for every one.

Then stop playing.

100 Million isn't that much money really. Not enough to complete change the genre. I don't know of a single MMO that didn't make you just another someone. Who cares? Play the game.

100 Million isn't that much money really. Not enough to complete change the genre. I don't know of a single MMO that didn't make you just another someone. Who cares? Play the game.

No matter how much money they invested it wouldnt mean instant success, or a genre changing game, with big investments you generally stay true to what works and build on that rather then risk radical design,

5 Years in development and it still has issues with playing with friends. I am thankful.. but after 5 years why is your settup still bugged?

First off it was in the making for 6 years. Second I was a full time beta tester for the last 6 months. The amount of bugs that are in game now is a tiny fraction from what was in beta. During the time leading up to this point I have been hard Bioware and I think they have done a good job with fixing most of the bugs. Every MMO is going to have some bugs at launch.

The things that I think huge improvements fast and some that I knew they would get backlash from and the testers even complained about most of this...

The UI is very poor. Bioware has said they have a team working on a fully customizable UI. That is great, but I will not get my hopes because it will probably a copy of the current one and there is the problem cause the current one is so poor. Also they have a team working on adding to the guild options.

Space combat is ok for some, but for everyone that is ok with it there is another that hates it. Again Bioware said they have a team that is working on adding missions. to the current system but are also working on a big upgrade. Again at this point I dont have high hopes for a good 3D space system with group/raid content for PvE and PvP.

Another problem is customization.Overall the customization is poor in the game.

These are a couple major concerns that I have that can cause people to leave the game. We will just have to see how Bioware handles them in the first few months of release.

I love this game! Finding it very fun and a breath of fresh air...

There are however some rather game breaking bugs!

* Raid frames break often, making my job as a healer a total nightmare

* Buying something off the auction house is broken. You can only hover over to see the item info, and yet when you buy the item the info is totally different. You suddenly cant use something it said you could. Clicking on a linked item, gives totally different item info than hovering.

* The cover mechanic keeps having silly line of sight issues that just dont exsist, literally the only thing breaking my line of sight is the actual cover spot, and yet my heals and attacks fail.

There are others equally harsh, but these are the ones that are game breaking for me.

I love the game, and yes its still ok to agree the game is bugged. That you havent found any yet is probably rose coloured glasses syndrome, or luck.

i hope you are trolling.... NO MMO has ever launched with so few bugs.... infact no MMO has ever dreamed of having this kind of launch its very stable and very very few bugs in the client.

The game is solid. It isn't the most bug-free launch, that still goes to Rift or Aion.

But complaining about bugs is indeed not relevant. Complain about the Galactic Trade Network or the UI, or the needlessly long travel time to the central station instead. Those are the real issues.