The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR - Does it need to go Free To Play?

pcmanor

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

F2P is what companies do to squeeze the last little bit of money out of a game. SWTOR isn't at that point yet, by then end of the year if current trends continue we might see it become a possibility. Then again you also have to realize that EA doesn't like the F2P model, they've said so many times. Look at Warhammer its still not F2P.

Sales mean nothing without recurring subs.

Have you not seen the ammount of people on the forums and servers.

You people are really starting to **** me off, you moan about the game, post on the forums saying you hate it. But in order for you to post you must be on a recurring sub and playing. So either quit *********** moaning or do one away from the game and leave us all in peace

Despite the fact that i didnt like the "world" of wow i remember the gameplay was much better then tor's. I had hundred times more open world pvp playing wow to level ~35 (a month or two), then i had here from the head start. The only things BW did better is vo qests, lack of grind and gfx. The rest is crap.

I'm not sure why you think there would be loads of open world PvP, they've never said it was a PvP focused game. You want open world PvP then go play Dark Age of Camelot, a game that was created for that purpose.

Have you not seen the ammount of people on the forums and servers.

You people are really starting to **** me off, you moan about the game, post on the forums saying you hate it. But in order for you to post you must be on a recurring sub and playing. So either quit *********** moaning or do one away from the game and leave us all in peace

I'm not sure what gives you that impression but you don't need to be currently subbed in order to post on the forums. This has never been the case.

I'm not sure what gives you that impression but you don't need to be currently subbed in order to post on the forums. This has never been the case.

Im pretty sure it is the case now. They did that a while ago. But I do not frequent these forums so I could be wrong.

you do know that after a game comes out, there is always a major decrease in the amount of people who originally signed up, it happened when wow was released, when rift was released, and it happened here.

that does in no way mean it has to go f2p, it just means that they will have to merge servers untill they get more subscribers

It maybe too early to post this, But Lack of people on servers before patch 1.2 rolled out, Problems upon more problems with this being broken and that being broken and now this whole ordeal with the servers today. As subscriber's are dropping like flies because of what is going on today and yes some people that were not happy with the 1.2 update, Has Bio ware let this game slip to far away to keep this game on a paid sub basis? Since day one I seen many things with the game and in game that made me believe they intentionally constructed the game to be a free to play game eventually. Several things come to mind that a customer would have to dish out money for to play in game.

Here is 20 things i can think of off hand for a free to play model/

1. PVP - paying for warzones, paying to basically own them while the game is alive and kicking.

2. world access - access to new worlds, which will most like be in the near future, maybe a world or two very soon.

3. mission access.

4. mounts

5. pets

6. cosmetic and social items

7. capping credit limits, pay to lift the cap

8. skills and heroic type weapons

9. special buffs and med packs

10. crew skills

11. crew missions

12. ship parts

13. ship customization

14. Ship amenities

15. extra character slots

16. extra content

17. expansions ( we are talking the real deal expansions)

18. of course paid character transfers

19. paying to unlock new crew members

20. Misc. gadgets etc. that give you a advantage

anyway i am happy with the game, but not the downtime lol.

As seems to be the norm here, the poster fabricates "facts", then condemns the game for it. LOL

Honestly people. The game is basically free to play now. If 15 bucks a month is not chump change to people, they should be working a second job, not playing games. right?

Edited by Blackardin

WoW back in the day ran circles around the current TOR.

Yeah, this is my favorite. I guess they forget that many of us played Wow when they make this stuff up.

Wow was a great game, but there are two certainties.

It was the same with bugs and have far, far more downtime as a result. Some guy posted his subscription numbers in an attempt to beat this game over the head with it. Even this year they were still giving out compensation time for crashes and bugs, yet people will outright state that it does not exist.

Second is that Wow was a disaster at launch. They went down for half a week at one point. People were still falling through the world 4 months into it. Mobs hitting through walls, game crashes, zone crashes, broken quests etc. etc. etc.

It is the nature of the game because of the vast amount of code involved. Wow was a great game, this one is too.

Take the crap you read on these forums with a grain of salt. Most of it is just not true at all.

Serious question

Its clear that quite a few EU/ US servers need to be merged, so why are BW so reluctant not to do this at present?, or even give us a rough estimate when this may happen in the future.

To merge some servers does not show weakness in the game, there were simply far too many servers at launch.

Edited by kmufc

Please never, ever!!

F2P is just an illusion, a soap bubble, smoke in the eyes... for us players, and for game companies as well.

It ends with servers full of always fresh new few-hits-players, this gives game companies the illusion they have more players playing the game... but the truth is that very few stick to the game after f2p conversion.

MMORPGs players just need continous content delivering to satisfy their (ours :D) addiction and keep on subs, just that!