The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Growing Concern: Where Do We Go From Here?

Space-Guerrilla

Before I go off on my rant here I would like to state that this is not a troll or QQ thread, and the trolls are expected to be kept at bay!

What a disaster these past couple days have been! SWTOR's 1.2 update has not rolled out very well. That is clear to see. First, and as we are all very well aware of, ranked warzones never hit live and most likely won't for another month or two. On top of that, I get home today to play and TRY to appreciate this latest patch, only to discover that the servers are down for some 8 hours while they, quite literally, rolled 1.2 back to fix major issues with the patch.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind downtime or scheduled maintenance, etc. What I do mind is this: I mind BW lying to the community and withholding information just to get a few extra bucks in their pockets. I mind a management company that shoves patches through without proper testing and feedback from the community. I mind a total lack of customer service (though I was thankfully, and finally, helped with a glaring issue that was being ignored for weeks preventing me from progressing through my class missions). I mind NOT being able to trust the company running SWTOR. Trust is what builds a solid foundation for any MMO, not just the Star Wars name or theme.

At this point I really don't feel like I can trust BW, and you shouldn't either. That is something they are going to have to earn back (though it's debatable if it was there in the first place). Some of you may say: "omg exaggerate more" or "*** stop crying" or maybe even "L2P". But, I say to you; If I'm going to be paying a monthly fee for something I expect things to be in working order. I need to trust that the management team isn't going to accidentally blow the servers up or something as equally stupid.

I'm not sure where I go from here...I'll let this sub get close to the end and then decide. What about you guys? What do you think? Are these just growing pains or signs of something much more severe?

Edited by Space-Guerrilla

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, this is just growing pains.

I've never seen an MMO roll out an expansion or pack the size of 1.2, and I've never seen an expansion go live without issues in any game I've ever played, irregardless of the company maintaining it. Test only goes so far in finding bugs and problems, you really don't find the glitches until it goes live and the players get into all the nooks and crannies.

Patience young padawan.. that's all ya need :)

Where do we go from here ?

I'm thinking lunch , quality time with the wife, maybe a little shopping, and definately hitting the coffee shop for a few hours.

And back in time for the 7pm est server relaunch. Of course.

Thats' where I'm going from here. What about you ?

Honestly, this is just growing pains.

I've never seen an MMO roll out an expansion or pack the size of 1.2, and I've never seen an expansion go live without issues in any game I've ever played, irregardless of the company maintaining it. Test only goes so far in finding bugs and problems, you really don't find the glitches until it goes live and the players get into all the nooks and crannies.

Patience young padawan.. that's all ya need :)

Spoken like a true Jedi Master.

I may not agree entirely. Time will tell.

a good start would be to give my female mirialan jedi guardian her beautiful hair back, not that it wasn't enjoyable to almost have a heart attack logging in to see a bald green girl staring back at me where once my character used to be.

that's a good start, indeed.

Where do we go from here ?

I'm thinking lunch , quality time with the wife, maybe a little shopping, and definately hitting the coffee shop for a few hours.

And back in time for the 7pm est server relaunch. Of course.

Thats' where I'm going from here. What about you ?

Troll detected in the vicinity of thread. TERMINATE IT!

i remember the launch of lotro and there were night after night of no servers soon after launch.

That game turns 5 this week so i wouldnt panic too much tbh :)

Never played that one, but wow that sounds like and epic launch! We can only hope SWTOR pulls it back together as they seem to have.

every company makes mistakes or every game has it's own problems... if you ever played vanilla WoW, didn't they also get problems with everything? it's a start...

it's a great game, improvements are made, they do make faults like every human does.. give them time to sort things out and enjoy the game instead of trolling on the forum...

You can't test roll back prevention. This was implementation error. Nothing on the part of the devs. Please read the EULA. It states that the content can be taken offline without notice. They gave you notice. They can withhold content without notice. They gave you notice. So please stop acting like a kid and find something else to do.

If you don't believe me here is the EULA. It will even take right to the spot that concerns this.

Edited by Sireene
rude - recently suspended, no action

I don't take issue even with unexpected downtimes after a significant patch, as BioWare certainly regarded this. Gaming companies can't (and don't) prepare for every problem that happens before a patch is brought Live. Since I want the expansions, I tolerate the glitches that are an inherent part of them.

Having said that, I also don't take issue with players venting their frustrations, as it's only human to do so, but your use of the term 'lying' is false and if you're going through life regarded unexpected complications as the result of a lie, you have a lot more liars in your world than I have in mine.

Edited by Mithran

1.2 rolled out pretty well. 1.2a was obviously a disaster.

Your assertion, OP, that BW is lying to us or withholding information is baseless and unfounded, and I think you are simply trying to provoke people.

And we get a free day to make up for today's downtime.

OP i think you are over reacting a bit.

yesterday i had the chance to play alot of the new pacth, and every clue points that they are indeed listening the comunity, alot of features that people wanted are in there, Costumizing teh UI interface, and color macthing comes to mind. Off course you cant ever please everyone. Still.

This sort of things are pretty comom in MMOs, its a bit tricky to pacth an MMO of this magnitude flawless. See examples of wow for instance.

I realy dont understand your concerns regarding them not saying the truth but ok.

NOt only they refunded this day to all players, they are working on to fix things, that is why we all pay for. So you cant play for 8 hours... comom... its only a game, its not the end of the world.

They warned us about the ranked warzones before hand, i dont know why you are so upset, at least they have the decency to admit that this feature is not polished enough and its not ready,l the never said that that feature would come in 1.2, that is why you and everyone else only knows the pacth notes after the pacth go live.

besides I wil rather wait to have something working then have something in game now that isnt working.

Edited by Spartanik

I don't take issue even with unexpected downtimes after a significant patch, as BioWare certainly regarded this. Gaming companies can't (and don't) prepare for every problem that happens before a patch is brought Live. Since I want the expansions, I tolerate the glitches that are an inherent part of them.

Having said that, I also don't take issue with players venting their frustrations, as it's only human to do so, but your use of the term 'lying' is false and if you're going through life regarded unexpected complications as the result of a lie, you have a lot more liars in your world than I have in mine.

Thank you for your response.

The "lie" I refer to is clear as day, really. They had to of known well in advance ranked warzones would not go live in 1.2. You can't just yank something that major out of a patch hours before it goes live. This has been discussed at great length in other threads as well.

OP i think you are over reacting a bit.

yesterday i had the chance to play alot of the new pacth, and every clue points that they are indeed listening the comunity, alot of features that people wanted are in there, Costumizing teh UI interface, and color macthing comes to mind. Off course you cant ever please everyone. Still.

This sort of things are pretty comom in MMOs, its a bit tricky to pacth an MMO of this magnitude flawless. See examples of wow for instance.

I realy dont understand your concerns regarding them not saying the truth but ok.

NOt only they refunded this day to all players, they are working on to fix things, that is why we all pay for. So you cant play for 8 hours... comom... its only a game, its not the end of the world.

They warned us about the ranked warzones before hand, i dont know why you are so upset, at least they have the decency to admit that this feature is not polished enough and its not ready.

I wil rather wait to have something working then have something in game now that isnt working.

well said

Before I go off on my rant here I would like to state that this is not a troll or QQ thread, and the trolls are expected to be kept at bay!

What a disaster these past couple days have been! SWTOR's 1.2 update has not rolled out very well. That is clear to see. First, and as we are all very well aware of, ranked warzones never hit live and most likely won't for another month or two. On top of that, I get home today to play and TRY to appreciate this latest patch, only to discover that the servers are down for some 8 hours while they, quite literally, rolled 1.2 back to fix major issues with the patch.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind downtime or scheduled maintenance, etc. What I do mind is this: I mind BW lying to the community and withholding information just to get a few extra bucks in their pockets. I mind a management company that shoves patches through without proper testing and feedback from the community. I mind a total lack of customer service (though I was thankfully, and finally, helped with a glaring issue that was being ignored for weeks preventing me from progressing through my class missions). I mind NOT being able to trust the company running SWTOR. Trust is what builds a solid foundation for any MMO, not just the Star Wars name or theme.

At this point I really don't feel like I can trust BW, and you shouldn't either. That is something they are going to have to earn back (though it's debatable if it was there in the first place). Some of you may say: "omg exaggerate more" or "*** stop crying" or maybe even "L2P". But, I say to you; If I'm going to be paying a monthly fee for something I expect things to be in working order. I need to trust that the management team isn't going to accidentally blow the servers up or something as equally stupid.

I'm not sure where I go from here...I'll let this sub get close to the end and then decide. What about you guys? What do you think? Are these just growing pains or signs of something much more severe?

What really worries me is that they released the patch with so many problems in the 1st place.

-Either they didn't evaluate how important this patch is for the players

-Or they knew about the problems and decided to release anyway

-Or they don't have a testing system adequate of finding problems prior to release.

In any of these cases something is really wrong.

You can't test roll back prevention. This was implementation error. Nothing on the part of the devs. Please read the EULA. It states that the content can be taken offline without notice. They gave you notice. They can withhold content without notice. They gave you notice. So please stop acting like a kid and find something else to do.

If you don't believe me here is the EULA. It will even take right to the spot that concerns this.

No EULA in the world can save you from dissapointed and angry gamers & StarWars fans.

For the op, GW2 looks pretty good. I played GW1 beta it was pretty good for a new MMORPG at that time. They should do well with gw2 with more experience so I will have to try it.

Edited by Sireene
quote of edited post

Okay you want an intelligent response, how about no MMO in history has ever been released nor has any patch/update/new content been added without problems. This has been going on since the days of EQ (I would say Meridian 59 but don't recall them giving anything for "free", nor was I around for new content).

Every Major MMO that has had a sub rate or even F2P has had their problems with things like this, so really about your "trust", is a moot point as is your whole post.

Also the problem with testing is the quality of people that are testing it and not the quantity. As they needed level 50's in game to test the new OP's/HM FP they imported some guilds, now these people mostly spent their time testing just that and not much else. So the amount of data coming in was not consistent with a proper patch to test the broad spectrum of changes. No one to blame outright there.

You state this is not a QQ, or troll thread but any thread that is intended to illicit a negative response from the community falls under "troll" description. Also I love the elaborate disguise in the thread when all it boils down to is if it isn't fixed to my specifics then I am un-subbing.