The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Win a Life-Sized Figure of Darth Malgus

AlysonBridge

Bioware is based in the US... they are making it US only because contest rules are incredibly fickle when you try to go international with it. Every country has different laws so it makes it incredibly difficult. It has nothing to do with them favoring the US or something. They are based there, so they can hold contests there very easily.

Someone who knows what they are talking about. A rarity in these parts...

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paying taxes on the shipping costs! Not paying the shipping costs. So if shipping is 800 and the tax rate is 10% then you would pay $80 not $800.

It's the tax rate on the good (which considering it's an item won via drawing, tax rate would be high), and the shipping.

Terms and conditions states that you will pay for the taxes on the value of the prize.

And it says you will be responsible for the taxes on the shipping costs. People here have been equating that to "I have to pay the shipping cost" which is just blatantly incorrect. Even the part he quoted said exactly that and he still interpreted that as he would have to pay for shipping. People are either not reading or they are adverse to actual reading comprehension.

It's the tax rate on the good (which considering it's an item won via drawing, tax rate would be high), and the shipping.

Just used 10% to make it easier to understand the concept. I'm pretty well certain that it wouldn't be taxed at 10%, but using that makes it easier to understand.

Just used 10% to make it easier to understand the concept. I'm pretty well certain that it wouldn't be taxed at 10%, but using that makes it easier to understand.

Depends. If it's listed as "won", then the tax rate goes up significantly since it wasn't an "earning" or "sale" but a contest. In the case of my state, I'm guessing/anticipating 20%. 20% of $7,000 is $1,400 plus the service tax of ~8% for an $800 shipping cost for ~$64 and yeah.. that adds up to a hefty price.

Edited by Freyar

are you kidding me???

Is the PR/Marketing group in BW/EA addicted to punishment or just plain workers with no brains?

You are in such heat right now for a botched 1.2 deployment and now you are trying to put out the fire by pouring these lame rewards? First was the "valued customer" problem and now this exclusion of non-US players?

Stop trying to do this and provide status of the fixes and give us some reason to believe that you can continue the sucess of this MMO already!!

DO WANT.

Even at paying ~800 + shipping, that's a kriff of a deal. I will put him in my kitchen so I don't get lonely while cooking. Also so my roommates remember not to drink my beer.

Everyone seems pretty insulted by this, so maybe my post is irrelevant, but is anyone familiar with the company's reputation? I got that Malgus statue from Gentle Giant and it doesn't even fit its own mantle. If there are a few people reading this thread who really want to be a part of the contest you ought to, at the very least, review the company's quality record. Paying all that money for a faulty piece of shiny thing would be pretty crumby.

They should make a simular contest in Europe. I would love to have that guy standing guard at my window at night. Heck if I was a thief breaking into a house and then suddenly this statue is standing in front of me I think I would soil myself :D

The "founder" title was a better distraction from the Ilum debacle than this Malgus contest is from the 1.2 debacle. At least the title was free and everyone got it (for whatever that is worth). So this time the attempt at distraction/placation excludes players outside the US and requires them to pay shipping and/or taxes to claim it? Brilliant. Lol.

Depends. If it's listed as "won", then the tax rate goes up significantly since it wasn't an "earning" or "sale" but a contest. In the case of my state, I'm guessing/anticipating 20%. 20% of $7,000 is $1,400 plus the service tax of ~8% for an $800 shipping cost for ~$64 and yeah.. that adds up to a hefty price.

Not arguing that. Again I just used 10% as a nice easy number to work with so people can understand the concept that you would be paying taxes on the shipping, not paying for the shipping which a lot of people here STILL seem to think.

10% was just a random percentage that is easy to work with, nothing more and nothing less.

are you kidding me???

Is the PR/Marketing group in BW/EA addicted to punishment or just plain workers with no brains?

You are in such heat right now for a botched 1.2 deployment and now you are trying to put out the fire by pouring these lame rewards? First was the "valued customer" problem and now this exclusion of non-US players?

Stop trying to do this and provide status of the fixes and give us some reason to believe that you can continue the sucess of this MMO already!!

How many times does it have to be said before you people will read it?

The reason it is US only is becasue of the laws affecting such contests in other countries, so instead of opening themselves up to poitential scuffles with the law and courts of other countries they make them US only where the law allows for these kinds of contests. If you want to get mad at someone get made at your lawmakers, who pass these idiotic laws that preclude you forom such things, not the company that is just trying to do something nice ofr customers of their product.

HEY BW, your community isn't based solely in the US...this is pathetic, I want to try to win too. :confused:

Try reading the 40+ or so posts that explain like I just did for someone else AGAIN that they do US only for legal reasons. Certain countries have laws that preclude gifts/prizes of this nature from being awarded so they make them US only becasue the laws here allow for such transactions.

The "founder" title was a better distraction from the Ilum debacle than this Malgus contest is from the 1.2 debacle. At least the title was free and everyone got it (for whatever that is worth). So this time the attempt at distraction/placation excludes players outside the US and requires them to pay shipping and/or taxes to claim it? Brilliant. Lol.

I am pretty certain this is something that has been in the works for months. Contests like this take time to set up, which include making sure all legal aspects are addressed and all ducks are in a row.

I don't know why people think this stuff happens over night?