Friday the 13th inspiration for Order 66?

fallenjedi

This day in history (October 13, 1307), King Phillip of France usurped the authority of the pope to enact a private vendetta against the Knights Templar. He sent out orders to his armies to simultaneously arrest all of the Knights whom he then tortured and killed for multitudes of (fake) charges against the church.

Sound familiar? When I first watched attack of the clones, my first thought was that GL must have used this story as an inspiration. I am also surprised that he hasn't retroactively dubbed over the Palpatine's voice with a french accent.

discuss...

That actually wouldn't surprise me at all. I also believe he used Machiavelli as inspiration for Palpatine, and took him to the next level of Deviousness. As for having the Jedi killed instead of captured, he HAD to modernize it, and Palpatine would have gained nothing from having them all captured and tortured.

Also, Palpatine's motivations were much different than Phillip of France. Phillip had been denied entry into the Order as a "lay knight", so his was a petty revenge. Palpatine saw the Jedi - rightfully so - as the only obstacle to his rule as Emperor. He even created a FAKE WAR to solidify his power base. In general terms, yes. I do believe that Oct. 13th was in part used as George Lucas's inspiration for Order 66.

Well, for one, there are other extermination orders that weren't as successful but just as horrible and terrorizing. In Missouri, in the middle 19th Century, Governor Lilburn Boggs ordered an entire religion to be exterminated in Missouri. The political reasons were that the Mormons were an abolitionist group and didn't believe in slavery. The real reason was that my ancestors were forgetting Who gave them the land in Missouri in the first place, and breaking the Second Commandment (they said they were Christians, but didn't act like Christians -- they were taking His name in vain).

The order was called Missouri Executive Order 44. A coincidence, given that order 66 is a double 6, and 44 is a double 4. Given that G.L. is a Buddhist, I think that the order to exterminate the Templars was a more plausible inspiration. :)

That actually wouldn't surprise me at all. I also believe he used Machiavelli as inspiration for Palpatine, and took him to the next level of Deviousness.

Nah, i don't think he used Machiavelli, doesn't fit it. Machiavelli never rised to power or machinations like Palpatine does. He was more philosopher, especialy when he lost.

Armand Jean du Plessis, Cardinal-Duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac on other side, now there is close resemblance to Palpatine. Beign a French at that time he got quite a few points in machinations, backstabing and forcefull diplomacy skills :)

With a healthy dose of Green Lantern Corps thrown in. :p

Yep, I wouldn't doubt it. Although a lot of people don't realize how special Green Lantern is.

Star Wars started because G.L. and Gary Kurtz were looking through the paper and declared that there wasn't anything good in the theatres. Hollywood, in a way, is responsible for creating Star Wars in the first place. :)

Yep, I wouldn't doubt it. Although a lot of people don't realize how special Green Lantern is.

Star Wars started because G.L. and Gary Kurtz were looking through the paper and declared that there wasn't anything good in the theatres. Hollywood, in a way, is responsible for creating Star Wars in the first place. :)

A lot of people didn't like the Green Lantern movie for some reason. I loved it, and thought it captured the spirit of the comics very well. Ryan Reynolds played a young Hal Jordan the way he was written in the books. For a Star Wars connection, Temuera Morrison played Abin Sur and did an excellent job. I agree with you 100%. The Corps were selected not because they had no fear, but because they had the ability to overcome it. The rings cause constant pain when worn, and the average person couldn't even put one on.

It's also a testament to Batman's character and willpower that he actually rejected recruitment by both the Green Lantern Corps AND the Sinestro Corps. He disdained the use of such power, and preferred to use his own abilities. Now, I COULD see Batman as a Grey Jedi. Fighting the Sith his way. lol

And for those who think Batman is a chump, he took down Darkseid, and then escaped from the Omega Sanction. Can't get much more bad*** than that! :D

See Final Crisis #6 for the ultimate showdown.

the only reason the templars were captured was to gain the money and items that france so desperately needed....and to not repay the templars the debt he owed them....as they were among the first orgs to have usery.it was always all about the money.

Who's Green Lantern?

Green Lantern is a superhero from an intergalactic peacekeeping group. They wear rings of power that can shape green energy to their will, but they lose power when exposed to yellow energy. Red would have made more sense, since they are on opposite ends of the color wheel, but oh well.

Also, Palpatine's motivations were much different than Phillip of France. Phillip had been denied entry into the Order as a "lay knight", so his was a petty revenge.

Well, Palpatine was heir to a tradition the Jedi had tried, and practically succeeded, at wiping out a thousand years previously. Even the title of the movie seems to support the idea that whole of the Clone Wars was nothing more than Palpatine's elaborate revenge scheme against the Jedi. The First Galactic Empire was partly the fulfillment of the ancient Sith Dream, and partly so Palpatine didn't sit around looking at a thousand Jedi corpses and say, "Well. . . now what?"

the only reason the templars were captured was to gain the money and items that france so desperately needed....and to not repay the templars the debt he owed them....as they were among the first orgs to have usery.it was always all about the money.

This ^^^ the Templars were probably the first real "bankers" in the world, filthy rich, and the king of france was broke. As many things before and since, the dirty deed was done for money.

Allthough that doesn't mean GL wasn't inspired by that particular story perhaps.

Green Lantern is a superhero from an intergalactic peacekeeping group. They wear rings of power that can shape green energy to their will, but they lose power when exposed to yellow energy. Red would have made more sense, since they are on opposite ends of the color wheel, but oh well.

Actually, yellow no longer affects the Green Lanterns that way. That got purged back when the Last Ring was given to Kyle Rayner because Parallax was no longer imprisoned inside the Central Power Battery.

Well, Palpatine was heir to a tradition the Jedi had tried, and practically succeeded, at wiping out a thousand years previously. Even the title of the movie seems to support the idea that whole of the Clone Wars was nothing more than Palpatine's elaborate revenge scheme against the Jedi. The First Galactic Empire was partly the fulfillment of the ancient Sith Dream, and partly so Palpatine didn't sit around looking at a thousand Jedi corpses and say, "Well. . . now what?"

There is quite a difference between a petty revenge like Phillip's that was used as a ruse to take the Templars' assets, and what Palpatine did.

Palpatine exacted revenge for thousands of years of genocidal warfare. Not saying the Sith were innocent, since of course they weren't. The vicious circle just continued, even if it had been delayed.

If they remain alive, they have a voice that could be heard.

Silencing the Jedi allowed Palpatine to put any kind of spin he wanted on what he professed they were really like, since there was no one to dispute him.... and if they did, well, they would find themselves missing as well.

Also, where would you prison all those Jedi?? And who would be the guards?