Color crystals and the lore

Belpheghor

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm less worried about the color and more about the length of the blades on the lightsabers. They closer resemble the dimensions of a baseball bat and looks even more so when a guardian is carrying it around like one. Im tempted to start levelling a sith warrior because my JK looks so stupid holding his lightsaber.

Two-handed grip on a LightSabre, baseball bat, mace, or hand-and-a-half / 2-handed sword... all pretty much the same thing. What's wrong with that? I never lost a fight in Live Steel holding my Macziejiewski (sp?) Warbrand (Crusader-era 1-1/2 sword), and I held it like a Hockey stick. What works, works...

It has likely been stated allready, but I feel the need to post it;

Simply put, this is the Old Republic... Jedi, as the lore states, lit sabers of varying colours and hues. More ordered and uniformity of saber colour seems only to appear towards the prequel era and beyond, if you take EU into account it begins to become less uniform the further we get from the prequels and original trilogies... Stang, even Skywalker's saber in RotJ was originally going to be yellow, but I think it couldnt be rotoscoped(?) properly so they settled on green.

I did read that one of the reasons Sith crystals where more often red than not was that they introduced they're own blood to the synthesising process.. Any thoughts on that?

The visual appearance of our Old Republic has been retconned or re-envisioned to give a semblance of the visual style of the Star Wars fans are familiar with, the original comic books bore little similarity to anything in the game now.. They really do look like two different IPs... There was no uniformity between Jedi and they lit whichever colour they wanted which was a reflection of this non-uniformity. In some cases they did not wield a Lightsaber in battle nor even carry one...

:)

Edited by Farstrider

If they restricted it people would just complain about not being able to have the lightsaber color they wanted.

They did restrict it, and did so in a way that made no real sense.

If they had restricted it based on faction, so Sith = Red and Jedi = Blue or Green then there would of been less issues IMO.

As it stands though they did it based on LS/DS which is not canon in the least.

They did restrict it, and did so in a way that made no real sense.

If they had restricted it based on faction, so Sith = Red and Jedi = Blue or Green then there would of been less issues IMO.

As it stands though they did it based on LS/DS which is not canon in the least.

Those are the only 3 colors that really should have restrictions imho, since there is a history/tradition with those, where as the others aren't linked as much to Star Wars canon.

A lot of peeps bring up Samuel Jackson's Mace Windu purple blade, lol, I guess he must be an MMO player, because he cried and cried to George Lucas and got his way.

But I agree with you Vanor, those are the traditional colors everyone knows well and should be faction specific. VAST majority of the player base knows Star Wars not from the novels, but from the movies/tv shows, so red=sith, green/blue=jedi is kinda a no brainer to keep intact.

To be fair about it, my suggestion was that if you REALLY wanted the opposing side's crystal you'd have to "work" (I know, a bad word in an MMO) to get it by having a polar opposite alignment of either dark V for Jedi or light V for Sith.

That way if you've got your heart set on it for role playing purposes it would kinda make sense, only a true dark Jedi would get the red, or vice versa.

That way the norm wouldn't be broken and shattered like it is now.

3 colors to have some restrictions isn't asking for much with the TON of colors available atm. And btw, even though the black core colors are not canon, I for one love them and love all the range of colors, but some things should be segregated for the sake of the lore. Sure, it's the Old Republic, so rules are a bit different, but for the flow and continuity of the franchise this makes sense to keep intact.

Why is Bioware letting kids on Sith side use blues and greens for color crystals? Those are Jedi colors, through and through, Guardian and Consular, not Sith.

Give Sith variations on reds, maybe a black red, a light red, an orange red, and all the neutral colors like white, grey, black, etc, but NOT green and blue, it's just wrong.

Yellow was bad enough (Sentinel), it seems like Bioware is making a mockery of Star Wars lore, the new Legacy system is absurd, now everyone wants to use Sith purebloods for Jedi and Republic roles....:(

They're blurring the lines between the factions WAY too much imho.

So first you state it's messing with lore (which it clearly isn't). Then when that's debunked you say you can't target enemies because you can't tell them apart from friendlies..... can't...tell...if trolling :rak_02:

even Skywalker's saber in RotJ was originally going to be yellow, but I think it couldnt be rotoscoped(?) properly so they settled on green.

:)

Ummm no. His lightsaber was going to be blue but they decided that blue didn't stand out very well against the sky of Tunesia where the Tatooine scenes were filmed. Therefore they changed the color to green. No clue where you got yellow from...

Edited by Twolightsabers

Ummm no. His lightsaber was going to be blue but they decided that blue didn't stand out very well against the sky of Tunesia where the Tatooine scenes were filmed. Therefore they changed the color to green. No clue where you got yellow from...

Actually, the Jabba's Sail Barge and Sarlacc scene was filmed by Yuma, AZ.

Those are the only 3 colors that really should have restrictions imho, since there is a history/tradition with those, where as the others aren't linked as much to Star Wars canon.

A lot of peeps bring up Samuel Jackson's Mace Windu purple blade, lol, I guess he must be an MMO player, because he cried and cried to George Lucas and got his way.

But I agree with you Vanor, those are the traditional colors everyone knows well and should be faction specific. VAST majority of the player base knows Star Wars not from the novels, but from the movies/tv shows, so red=sith, green/blue=jedi is kinda a no brainer to keep intact.

To be fair about it, my suggestion was that if you REALLY wanted the opposing side's crystal you'd have to "work" (I know, a bad word in an MMO) to get it by having a polar opposite alignment of either dark V for Jedi or light V for Sith.

That way if you've got your heart set on it for role playing purposes it would kinda make sense, only a true dark Jedi would get the red, or vice versa.

That way the norm wouldn't be broken and shattered like it is now.

3 colors to have some restrictions isn't asking for much with the TON of colors available atm. And btw, even though the black core colors are not canon, I for one love them and love all the range of colors, but some things should be segregated for the sake of the lore. Sure, it's the Old Republic, so rules are a bit different, but for the flow and continuity of the franchise this makes sense to keep intact.

Gee I'm glad you had no say in game development. Why not go play something where you can select a pre made character that has no customization at all. What's to stop anyone from putting a certain colored crystal into their lightsaber? Albeit certain crystals are attuned to either dark or light but you mention blue, green, red ect ect.

Freaking Kyle Katarn had an orange crystal. So you going to go tell the EU writers they should make him have a blue one because it's "politically correct"?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Depa_Billaba had a scarlet colored saber.

Anakin Solo had a violet colored saber. So did Jaina Solo and Kyp.

Adi Gallia- Jedi Master, had a scarlet colored saber.

So yeah your debunked

Actually, he generally requests to have a purple item in movies. Lucas gave him a purple saber.

No crying involved.

Now that I think about it, that very much may be true. Nevertheless, the blue vs. desert sky is why it was changed and the yellow comment I think is out of left field.

Nah, the Yellow came from WAY back when the action figures first came out from Kenner. Luke had a yellow lightsaber in his arm that slid out the hilt that was part of his hand. Yeah, I know. It was the EARLY days of the Action Figures before the swivel-arm kung-fu grip. :p

Why is Bioware letting kids on Sith side use blues and greens for color crystals? Those are Jedi colors, through and through, Guardian and Consular, not Sith.

Give Sith variations on reds, maybe a black red, a light red, an orange red, and all the neutral colors like white, grey, black, etc, but NOT green and blue, it's just wrong.

Yellow was bad enough (Sentinel), it seems like Bioware is making a mockery of Star Wars lore, the new Legacy system is absurd, now everyone wants to use Sith purebloods for Jedi and Republic roles....:(

They're blurring the lines between the factions WAY too much imho.

Actually, I use Green and Blue on my Marauder purposely as a mockery of the Jedi. They're color crystals stolen from fallen enemies. (And yes, I actually waited until facing a Jedi with one of each color before crafting them for my sabers.)

So, let's not forget that some people on the Sith side might want to do this on purpose. What better than beginning a fight with a Jedi by exposing him to hatred and anger? The instant I power on my sabers, he will know what I've done, and I'll use that hate and anger as sweet nectar.

Well he is rumored to play/have played EVE Online. I guess its other peoples tears he collects....... Purple ones preferably :D

Gee I'm glad you had no say in game development. Why not go play something where you can select a pre made character that has no customization at all. What's to stop anyone from putting a certain colored crystal into their lightsaber? Albeit certain crystals are attuned to either dark or light but you mention blue, green, red ect ect.

Freaking Kyle Katarn had an orange crystal. So you going to go tell the EU writers they should make him have a blue one because it's "politically correct"?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Depa_Billaba had a scarlet colored saber.

Anakin Solo had a violet colored saber. So did Jaina Solo and Kyp.

Adi Gallia- Jedi Master, had a scarlet colored saber.

So yeah your debunked

Every example anyone has brought up are from the novels, but the vast majority of the player base basically knows Star Wars from the films and TV shows.

Sure, there is no going back I know, Bioware has already caved into this and I doubt they'd risk losing even more subs putting back restrictions, just voicing an opinion.

There is no "debunking", I've read the novels, but imho true canon is the films, what Lucas himself made. There are lots of novels and RPGs that have some pretty bizarre stuff that differs from the movies and that's fine, creative license I suppose and all, but it simply feels out of place to see sooooooooooo many Sith using green/blue and Jedi with red, such a thing should be a RARITY, NOT THE NORM!!!!

If you're right, why didn't Bioware make their first game cinematic "sacking of coruscant" have the Sith appear from their shuttle with a rainbow of colors and the Jedi pop out all manner of colors as well???

In fact, no Bioware cinematic or game video/picture EVER has a Sith with a non red/purple blade from what I've seen, didn't they make the game??

All I'm trying to do is keep the proper order, some semblance of sanity here. It may be "fun" for some to turn everything upside down and inverted for kicks which is why I'm sure most do it, to be cute and all, but it's wrong and Bioware shouldn't have ever allowed it to begin with.

Don't know where you guys get off saying how the novels are canon, don't think Lucas wrote 'em., sorry.

It has been cited, examples like Exar Kun with his blue saber are EXCEPTIONS to the rule, they AREN'T the rule, nor the norm. Do ANY of the Sith npcs in SWToR have green or blue lightsabers???? Any??? Can't remember one.

Do any of the Jedi npcs have RED lightsabers? It's not Lucas arts or Bioware that want this, it YOU GUYS, you're writing your own canon basically.

Edited by Belpheghor

It's not Lucas arts or Bioware that want this, it YOU GUYS, you're writing your own canon basically.

Exactly. RPG's are, when played single player, interactive storytelling, you and your medium. But MMORPG's are shared storytelling, meshed together from many sources.

No, you don't have to like how I tell my stories. And I don't have to like how you tell yours either. However... trying to -impose- your style of storytelling on others truly lacks... well, class.

You can have all YOUR characters use traditional (traditional 4000 years later...) saber colour usage, where evil people must always be out in the open, waving a banner that says "here I am, whoops, i guess im evil and all." , and good guys never seek to be subtle.

But leave those who want to tell different tales, have a different vision for their alter-egos be. Just because I like romantic comedies, doesn't mean you can't watch an action flick with guns and gore, explosions galore.

it simply feels out of place to see sooooooooooo many Sith using green/blue and Jedi with red, such a thing should be a RARITY, NOT THE NORM!!!!

Do ANY of the Sith npcs in SWToR have green or blue lightsabers???? Any??? Can't remember one.

Do any of the Jedi npcs have RED lightsabers? It's not Lucas arts or Bioware that want this, it YOU GUYS, you're writing your own canon basically.

You seem to already have what you want. The vast majority of saber-wielding Force users maintain the traditional color scheme. Only player characters (a smaller and more select population) can choose unorthodox colors for their crystals.

You can have all YOUR characters use traditional (traditional 4000 years later...) saber colour usage, where evil people must always be out in the open, waving a banner that says "here I am, whoops, i guess im evil and all." , and good guys never seek to be subtle.

You're missing the whole point, everyone keeps giving the "It's the Old Republic Era so I can do what I want to" excuse, but again, I ask you, do you EVER see ANY of the Sith npcs in the game using non red/purple sabers????

But, but, it's the Old Republic Era right? Shouldn't they have a virtual RAINBOW of colors?

EVERY Sith npc in this IS "waiving a banner that says "here I am, whoops, i guess im evil and all"", what game are you playing? Every Sith npc I come into contact with from Darth Malgus on down is basically using the traditional Sith colors.....but that's not until "4000" years later right?????

NO, you guys are making up your own rules and using a few exceptions in the EU to justify it. The EU ISN'T canon either btw, Lucas officially said he doesn't view it as such, he considers it "seperate".

Just because this is an MMO doesn't mean everyone should suddenly get to invert the universe and do whatever they want to, whenever they want it.

You seem to already have what you want. The vast majority of saber-wielding Force users maintain the traditional color scheme. Only player characters (a smaller and more select population) can choose unorthodox colors for their crystals.

Yes, the vast majority of the NPC force users ARE using the traditional color scheme because it's supposed to be that way, exceptions to it should be rare or they wouldn't be the "traditional" colors know would they?

Player characters are the problem, Bioware has simply made it WAY too easy for players to get a hold of color crystals from the opposite faction. All I'm suggesting is that they impose some level of restriction again (which should have NEVER been removed, they obviously caved in for fear of losing subs) so players using the other factions colors are a bit more rare.

I get the role playing argument, I've been role playing for 25 some odd years now, which is WHY only a Jedi with Dark V alignment should ever get to use a red saber, or vice versa, the old "I took it from a fallen enemy" is rubbish, the General Grievous argument is a weak excuse to justify it.

Yes, the vast majority of the NPC force users ARE using the traditional color scheme because it's supposed to be that way, exceptions to it should be rare or they wouldn't be the "traditional" colors know would they?

Player characters are the problem, Bioware has simply made it WAY too easy for players to get a hold of color crystals from the opposite faction. All I'm suggesting is that they impose some level of restriction again (which should have NEVER been removed, they obviously caved in for fear of losing subs) so players using the other factions colors are a bit more rare.

I get the role playing argument, I've been role playing for 25 some odd years now, which is WHY only a Jedi with Dark V alignment should ever get to use a red saber, or vice versa, the old "I took it from a fallen enemy" is rubbish, the General Grievous argument is a weak excuse to justify it.

And there are also Force users on BOTH sides that use Orange and Yellow Lightsabers. Don't forget them. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.