The Bounty Hunter’s Guide to PFT: An Advanced Prototype Special

TheOpf

Great guide :)

I leveled using AP and I loved it. I switched to Pyro for endgame PVE, and I'm not really sure if I like it yet. I was thinking about switching to the NORSE build for PVE because I don't really care for Railshot all that much. Is this a viable spec for endgame? Mostly my guild is doing HM right now, we haven't started Ops yet. It seems the build has a couple talents that are more PVP-oriented. For PVE, should I drop Stabilized Armor and put the remaining points in Serrated Blades or is the bonus damage not worth it?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guide :)

I leveled using AP and I loved it. I switched to Pyro for endgame PVE, and I'm not really sure if I like it yet. I was thinking about switching to the NORSE build for PVE because I don't really care for Railshot all that much. Is this a viable spec for endgame? Mostly my guild is doing HM right now, we haven't started Ops yet. It seems the build has a couple talents that are more PVP-oriented. For PVE, should I drop Stabilized Armor and put the remaining points in Serrated Blades or is the bonus damage not worth it?

Yes it's worth it if you are doing straight pve. It's not worth it fi you are doing pvp. Taking railshot out of your rotation is a 5 percent loss in dps though. Personally, I don't use it, but I rarely raid.

Yes it's worth it if you are doing straight pve. It's not worth it fi you are doing pvp. Taking railshot out of your rotation is a 5 percent loss in dps though. Personally, I don't use it, but I rarely raid.

I went ahead and used the basic NORSE build on the original page. I noticed my DPS in PVE actually went up because I was able to use a tighter rotation and maximize my efficiency. I really like this build :)

I went ahead and used the basic NORSE build on the original page. I noticed my DPS in PVE actually went up because I was able to use a tighter rotation and maximize my efficiency. I really like this build :)

No problem, there are alot of fans of it, and it came around because we sat and thought and explored. The Norse is a fantastic pvp and great beginning pve build. Once you get the hang of the rotation, you will find a switch to the Max dps build easier.

Dardack is perhaps the most geared contributer pve wise that I know of here, and he will tell you Norse is fantastic for maximizing your rotation, but max dps really shines once you have your rotation-management smoothed out. Stay with Norse till you get the hang of it, than switch to max dps and watch how easy the transition is.

I've used your NORS spec and suggestions for a month now, and I must say that I'm really enjoying it. It feels like I have the the best traits of all trees. High survivability, high mobility, high damage and great Heat management.

I always thought it was kind of funny that Advanced Prototype does all the fire attacks, while Pyrotech uses more gadgets (Rail Shot, Thermal Detonator, Incendiary Missile). I'm not talking about the damage or attack type, but more the names and ability animations.

I've used your NORS spec and suggestions for a month now, and I must say that I'm really enjoying it. It feels like I have the the best traits of all trees. High survivability, high mobility, high damage and great Heat management.

I always thought it was kind of funny that Advanced Prototype does all the fire attacks, while Pyrotech uses more gadgets (Rail Shot, Thermal Detonator, Incendiary Missile). I'm not talking about the damage or attack type, but more the names and ability animations.

Yeah I know what you mean. My guild is always asking me "why are you using nothing but fire abilities? i thought you weren't pyro anymore..." they really should switch the names

on another site, i saw this listed as the stat priority:

Surge Rating (75%) > Power/Tech Power > Critical Rating (30%) > Accuracy (110%)

is this accurate for the NORSE build?

Advanced Prototype and especially the Norse build doesn't use accuracy at all.

Your Main stat priority really depends on what your gear is at that time.

Generally though it's

Crit to 25 percent

Surge to 75 percent

Aim and Power jump back and forth based on what your current stats are. Aim being the best for pvp and Power being great for pve once you get to a certain point.

Generally though it's

Crit to 25 percent

Surge to 75 percent

Aim and Power jump back and forth based on what your current stats are. Aim being the best for pvp and Power being great for pve once you get to a certain point.

Yea Accuracy is only good for RS/Unload/Rapid and against tanks in pvp. As tanks are not good dps, and i feel are a hinderance in pvp, accuracy is pointless for NORSE. I even say it's pointless for AP even if using RS. But that's me. If pyro it may be more important as RS is your main hitter every 6 seconds or so.

Now onto the Aim vs Power. I still haven't seen exact math but the concensus is Aim is worth 1.3 to 1 power up to like 2k+ Aim, then power slowly overtakes Aim. In current PvP gear it will be hard to reach this 2k number.

However, remember that if you don't care about more endurance (I don't) there are mods that have say 48aim 37 power vs 61aim 11 power (or 64 aim 12 power and 51 aim 52 power or something along those lines). The BM ones are loosing 13 aim but gain 26 power, that's a 2:1. So I have all those in my gear. Sure I give up 8 endurance per mod, so 7 pieces, so 560 HP. I'll gladly give that up.

Generally though it's

Crit to 25 percent

Surge to 75 percent

Are those values buffed or unbuffed?

i wonder why would you throw away railshot with norse build. its powerfull 30m attack, that can save your skin in some situations.

It's 11 points in to get the ability for it to be an RNG attack every 15 seconds if it pops (It usually does), as opposed to the tradeoff of better heat and better durability. You gain 6 percent damage reduction, and a few more niceties. I rarely use Railshot in PVP. Unless I have a runner, Last night I was in my pve spec and Rail shot was hitting for 2400 when critting. 2000 against full War Hero geared guys. And against a full WH tank spec it hit once for 1500. Flame Burst was hitting for 2200 crit, and 1100 non-crit Regardless of tank or non-tank. Immolate was hitting for 3300, and Flame shot ticks are anywhere from 1k non-crit to 1.8k crit every tick. I don't have nearly the right gear to pull off norse the best. However even seeing the difference Rail Shot comes up severely lacking for the amount of points spent, and I lose the damage reduction, and a faster Electro Dart and Quell.

It's a tradeoff of 4 percent total damage for more control and survival skills.

thank u for answering. i see ur point now. gonna reconsider railshot usefulness and give a try for norse.

ive just got used to rs playing pyro merc.

edit: i just have some thoughts. while railshot is weapon damage, so it doesnt count for force/tech defences like sins force shroud, right? so its our antibubble attack. its allways good to have some options.

Edited by Akfourtys

thank u for answering. i see ur point now. gonna reconsider railshot usefulness and give a try for norse.

ive just got used to rs playing pyro merc.

edit: i just have some thoughts. while railshot is weapon damage, so it doesnt count for force/tech defences like sins force shroud, right? so its our antibubble attack. its allways good to have some options.

It's Physical damage so if you are facing a tankasin or some other force defense you can use it and feel a slight loss. Personally I just stun the Assassin as soon as he goes gold. Railshot is very very powerful in pyro it hits close to 30 percent harder. The Hardest i have ever hit anyone with Rail in Max AP is 3500. The max I have RS in Norse builds is 2200. So there is a disadvantage to Norse, I just prefer the utility and durability more.

I have to say that the NORSE build is the best dps AP spec in pvp due to the combination of PFT + multiple enemies. I've tried all specs in PvP, and sticked with AP because it has more fire in it and i like catching people killing them upfront and after trying this spec it made me realize how overrated RS is. After speccing to NORSE, my total dam on wzs increased with consistency. Maybe because I'm used to setting up the PFT to hit multiple enemies. I just want to say how good this spec is in terms of dps because i've read somewhere that it is below AP (with RS), but as I play it, it's a lot higher. I also noticed that having a high crit rating helps this spec due to PWS, and my unskilled rail shot crits for >2k+ when im far from an enemy and ED is on CD.

I don't want to boast, but for the love of this build, I've beaten the best maras and snipers in total dam in wzs on our server with this spec. Kudos to you theOpf and those guys who helped you discover this build!

Edited by dijskykiller

Personally I just stun the Assassin as soon as he goes gold.

Do you mean stun the force shroud? i never ever tried to. Its not supposed to work.

Force Shroud

Removes all hostile removable effects and increases your chance to resist Force and tech attacks by 100% for 3 seconds. Does not break Stealth.

while our electro dart is tech ability

IfSpellHit: SpellType=>Tech

Edited by Akfourtys

Do you mean stun the force shroud? i never ever tried to. Its not supposed to work.

Force Shroud

Removes all hostile removable effects and increases your chance to resist Force and tech attacks by 100% for 3 seconds. Does not break Stealth.

while our electro dart is tech ability

IfSpellHit: SpellType=>Tech

I generally use Carbonize, but yes it's not supposed to work. Electro Dart only works about half the time. Carbonize almost always works at least I have CC'd them quite a bit during Force shroud.

I have to say that the NORSE build is the best dps AP spec in pvp due to the combination of PFT + multiple enemies. I've tried all specs in PvP, and sticked with AP because it has more fire in it and i like catching people killing them upfront and after trying this spec it made me realize how overrated RS is. After speccing to NORSE, my total dam on wzs increased with consistency. Maybe because I'm used to setting up the PFT to hit multiple enemies. I just want to say how good this spec is in terms of dps because i've read somewhere that it is below AP (with RS), but as I play it, it's a lot higher. I also noticed that having a high crit rating helps this spec due to PWS, and my unskilled rail shot crits for >2k+ when im far from an enemy and ED is on CD.

I don't want to boast, but for the love of this build, I've beaten the best maras and snipers in total dam in wzs on our server with this spec. Kudos to you theOpf and those guys who helped you discover this build!

I completely agree about the Norse, the reason why Rail Shots is considered higher has more to do with PVE and total damage on a single target. Rail shot with buffs crits for about 3200. It's your 2nd highest single damage ability. It's makes for crazy burst when combined with Immolate and Rocket Punch.

In a PVP setting, I do significantly more damage using the Norse than I do with Max AP. Currently I am playing Max AP, but that's because I had a raid day and RS in a PVE setting is crazy good. I find the mobility, ease of use, and my time til death is significantly higher for me in PVP when I am running the Norse Build.

Thanks for the encouragement and keep burning them down.

• 2 weeks later...

Read through this in the past, and just went through it again. Still some decent info.

So, when 1.2 was on PTS, I did a little bit of theorycrafting after hearing about the stealth buff to Prototype Flamethrower (70% snare, uninterruptable) and came up w/ a spec that I thought would be overall pretty excellent in PvP.

WELL, it's been quite a while, as I've been leveling a couple other classes up, but I've finally come back to my good ol' Powertech. I was a bit turned off by the absolutely HUGE influx of new Pyro PTs, and as I'd always loved AP more at heart, I decided it was finally time to go back.

I have extensive experience running the old AP "Run 'n Gun" hybrid, as that's what I leveled as and spent a good bit of time as at 50 before switching to a more optimal burst spec. At the time, Run 'n Gun lacked the offensive capability to make it a viable competitive endgame spec.

So anyway, I finally dusted off my BM PT (still in Eliminator champ gear, lol) and respecced her to 0/28/13, a build that has been jokingly nicknamed the Fire Ballerina by my guildies (due to my constantly spamming Flame Sweep to keep PFT stacks at 5). After a bit of getting used to it, it's actually been amazingly successful and has far exceeded my expectations.

Here's the spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZMsrrobfkzcZfhMbz.1

(designed to run in Combat Tech set, using Combustible Gas Cylinder)

Pros:

• Very mobile w/ Hydraulic Overrides
  • Impossible to escape w/ so many snares
  • Majority of damage is Elemental
  • PFT is excellent for slowing multiple enemies as well as hurting them badly
  • Main damage ability hits relatively hard and is spammable
  • Excellent control against any casting class; can shut most down entirely
  • Long-range damage options available

Cons:

• EXTREME heat issues if not careful
  • Longer* setup for burst than a deep Pyro spec
  • Less burst capacity than a deep Pyro spec
  • No defenses

This is not an "easy" spec to play by any means, even though it gives up some of its rotational abilities for a more simplified ability priority. The simpler rotation is compounded by having to watch for 2 separate procs as well as keeping your PFT stacks maintained. Most AP vets will already be used to these aspects, though. : )

Opening rotation (closing from range) usually looks like Exp. Dart > IM > RS > FB (or PFT here). After that, you use RP ONLY when it is both free and heat is ~30 or higher. Outside of the initial RS, you use it only when the auto-crit buff is proc'd. RS becomes more utility in this spec, used as either a bubble-popper for Sorcs so you can channel the full PFT, or a finisher when possible.

You have no heat venting mechanic. None. So you really need to stay on top of your heat at all times, making sure that it never rises above 40 unless you are able to get a kill and vent shortly afterward. Because of this, I try to use IM as little as possible, and will close the distance to use Flame Burst instead if I can.

Sometimes you simply need to nail someone at range, however, and that's why IM is here. It allows you to pull off a decent ranged combo via Exp. Dart > IM > RS > Unload > DFA if you wish.

I may drop the point in Hamstring, as it's inferior to the Flame Burst snare, but there's not a lot of things to put that point into. Maybe I'll take the 5 seconds off of Electro Dart.

I'll try to do a better write-up later, but the build most certainly has merits in group play, and has been imasculating people pretty well since I've learned to play it a bit better. Still fine-tuning, but I think I'll stick w/ this for quite a while. : )

Quick update: I was able to pick up the BM 2pc Combat Tech bonus and a few other pieces, which has helped immensely as I was rocking 2 useless set bonuses from Eliminator when I first started playing this build and my stats are still mostly itemized toward a Pyro build still.

The damage can only go up from here, and it's already pretty good when you consider the extreme control that you get from lower Grapple cd, lower Quell cd, Hydraulic Overrides, CGC snare (reset by rail shot), PFT AoE snare, and long-distance capability thanks to IM. : )

Edited by Varicite

Several noticeable issues with your build. You run CGC, but pickup every heat intensive attack. Incendiary Missile is not worth it's cost. You picked up Hamstring which is worthless since you have Sweltering heat, and you will just keep overriding it.

Explosive Dart is a big waste of heat. I don't even have it on my bar anymore, and I am not sure of anyone who actually uses it anymore.

There is a similar build for you which makes better use of talents in Maverick or Tibetan Candle. Loss of Stabilized Armor is pretty huge. In the end you will do less damage than any of the listed builds and picked up a few questionable abilities.

I ran with Tibetan Candle, and while it's nice, the heat issues are monstrous. PFT with your only heat release being every 15 seconds when you hit Rail shot is counterproductive.

Other than the negatives, I appreciate your input, and recommend you keep on testing. If you took off PFT and Proto Weapon Systems and put those points in Pyro you would increase your damage and have a better venting.

So essentially, and not to be mean, your build is heat intensive, offers no defensive cooldowns, and provides less damage than any of the listed specs am I correct?

Edited by TheOpf

Several noticeable issues with your build. You run CGC, but pickup every heat intensive attack. Incendiary Missile is not worth it's cost. You picked up Hamstring which is worthless since you have Sweltering heat, and you will just keep overriding it.

Explosive Dart is a big waste of heat. I don't even have it on my bar anymore, and I am not sure of anyone who actually uses it anymore.

There is a similar build for you which makes better use of talents in Maverick or Tibetan Candle. Loss of Stabilized Armor is pretty huge. In the end you will do less damage than any of the listed builds and picked up a few questionable abilities.

I ran with Tibetan Candle, and while it's nice, the heat issues are monstrous. PFT with your only heat release being every 15 seconds when you hit Rail shot is counterproductive.

Other than the negatives, I appreciate your input, and recommend you keep on testing. If you took off PFT and Proto Weapon Systems and put those points in Pyro you would increase your damage and have a better venting.

So essentially, and not to be mean, your build is heat intensive, offers no defensive cooldowns, and provides less damage than any of the listed specs am I correct?

Not really, because Rail Shot doesn't hit hard w/out Firebug and Rain of Fire. PPA 1.2 only procs every 6 seconds, so every 6 seconds I can do an attack for 3k damage, or every 15 seconds I can do 2 of them for 6k~ damage. Rail Shot, while nice, is pretty negligible for AP. I only use mine as a low-heat attack and finisher.

In that same time w/ 3 Flame Bursts, I would easily outdamage that and have the benefit of those attacks being Elemental.

You are absolutely right about Hamstring, and I am going to move that point, but the only real option for it is 5 seconds off of Electro-Dart.

I ran Tibetan Candle for a bit, and found that it suffered from a lack of ranged options. I like being able to utilize both range and melee, which is why I made this spec.

For people who don't mind being tied to 10m at all times, there are other specs that can do that better, sure. I like being able to drop 6-7k on a target at range. : )

It is, indeed, very heat-intensive and that was the first con I listed for it for a reason. However, once you get used to it, it's really not all that hard. You have a free Rocket Punch and 8 heat Rail Shot to mix in, alongside TSO, Vent Heat, and of course, flat-out killing your target to vent. This spec has been very good at that last part.

PS) I find it strange that you would suggest that I take PPA on the very same page where you have an entire paragraph about how little Rail Shot is used for AP at the very top. You know how bad RS is for an AP spec, so I'm not sure why you'd think I want to drop 2 AWESOME talents for 1 mediocre one.

I'd originally only gone high enough to pick up 10 points in Pyro, but found that I didn't like Immolate much since Flame Burst + auto CGC actually does comparable damage w/out a cd (animation is still sick though) or a huge talent investment. I went 2 points higher into Pyro to pick up Superheated Rail to maximize my CGC damage a bit as well as give myself an 8 heat attack to replace Immolate.

At that point, it was pretty much a no-brainer to pop 1 into IM since I'd put so much of an investment into Rail Shot already, it made no sense to not be able to utilize it at range. I may drop it, however, since Unload provides the same effect in most cases for less heat overall, but I do like to sometimes pop out a Exp Dart > IM > RS > Unload at range to kill targets at 1/3~ health.

Edited by Varicite