Most of the new legacy features cost lots and lots of CREDITS?!?

shoobybomp

I am a little shocked and dismayed by the amount of credits everything costs for all the new legacy features and even the guild bank. [...] To me it seems like a misguided attempt to keep subscribers. (emphasis mine)

Exactly this. If they get players who were bored/considering leaving into a mindless grind, they'll be too busy to remember that they were bored. They're not having fun, of course. But as long as they pay the sub, who cares, right?

This whole legacy thing is over-hyped and very underwhelming. I will not be mindlessly grinding for anything. Will just go on playing as though the legacy hoopla never happened. Too bad. I was really hoping to buy a restraining bolt to shut up my ship droid (which I understand costs credits and comes from a repair/merchant droid which costs 1 million? Meh)

Edited by Lunazen

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest issue I am hearing people complain about is actually species unlocks, 1.5 million per unlock, or leveling alts you dont want to 50 in order to unlock them. That's really time consuming and tbh many of the combinations should of been available already. So you've got to level an alt you don't want, just to be able to make a character you do want lol.

People have to start realizing that credit sinks in MMOs keep server economies healthy. No credit sinks equals to massive inflation. New players then have a much harder time as everything costs 15-20 million.

The more credit sinks, the better. I think these are perfectly reasonable. You can't get everything right away, but you'll get everything eventually.

This. /10chars.

I think the biggest issue I am hearing people complain about is actually species unlocks, 1.5 million per unlock, or leveling alts you dont want to 50 in order to unlock them. That's really time consuming and tbh many of the combinations should of been available already. So you've got to level an alt you don't want, just to be able to make a character you do want lol.

The only one I have an issue with is Human, since it's the only one with an actual, mechanical advantage. but it's also 1/3rd the price of the others. So it's not terribly hard for your existing 50 to just farm the cash doing normal 50's stuff.

Have to admit...I was a little shocked at the prices.

Especially considering that the Guild Summit highlighted the fact that most players are NOT wealthy.

Were there a massive amount of credits floating around, okay. I can see making it all a big money sink. Sure, they are needed. And as time progresses and more people have credits, sure more credit sinks will be needed.

But, considering that this credit bonanza is not the case, and many people don't have the credits to spare...it may simply lead to more frustrating by having unobtainably high price tags.

Just my 2 credits on the matter.

I couldn't agree more. Haven't I invested enough time by reaching legacy level 20, and now i have to invest more time to get a silly amount of gold. Grinds grinds grinds is not my thing. This reminds of the person who buys the Hybrid Vehicle. The price they spend on getting a Hybrid will never be recouped in the cost of gas savings, throughout the life of the vehicle. The thousands and thousands of credits you repay, for say a Repair droid on your ship....you know what. I stop at one of the 50,000 vendors that can repair my stuff.

I thought it was too good to be true when Georg said the unlocks where legacy level OR credits, but even then i wasn't counting on such ridiculous costs. The only things i actually find useful in this is the droid and mail (the gtn would be nice tho)

However since i have an hatred of reapeating dull, boring content (can only level alts thanks to the class story, and even then slowly because i get bored fast since i already done 80 to 90% of the content) i doubt i'll have 600k for the mail anytime soon, for the rest maybe an year, if i stay that long (running out of fun things to do really fast).

People omg.... Those legacies are meant to be obtainable during a WHOLE year..... THEY ARE PERMANENT....

If you get them in 2 weeks where is the point?

This is supposed to be LASTING FEATURE for long term players not for someone who has lvl 30 unlocks legacies AND BUYS EVERYTHING.

sigh....

This has TO LAST for half a year if not year(s)

Its been said, but again, 'Money Sink'.

Keep them out of the legacy system and make the legacy levels actually useful then. Putting those insane money sinks in the legacy system just makes the legacy levels redundant.

Actually this was the one thing I completely expected, and understood. I knew all along that I'd have to pay to unlock twi'leks so I was prepared for that one, they were pretty clear about it. I didn't have enough after that for anything else though :o

People omg.... Those legacies are meant to be obtainable during a WHOLE year..... THEY ARE PERMANENT....

If you get them in 2 weeks where is the point?

This is supposed to be LASTING FEATURE for long term players not for someone who has lvl 30 unlocks legacies AND BUYS EVERYTHING.

sigh....

This has TO LAST for half a year if not year(s)

Lots of caps but I agree, this is the beginning of an in game system and should take a long time to fully unlock. A Few little rewards to look forward to on the road are good aren't they? You don't need them all right now.

Edited by spoonguy

Seems to be a higher priority to pve stuff and making everything a total grindfest than making sure pvp is balanced and new warzones come out.

Grind doesnt work in MMOs if the rewards for it are too low for players to consider working for it.

Im playing since release and have very little credits.For the average casual player these unlocks are unaffordable and i suspect most people will quit the game long before they ever get enough credits to unlock them all.

most people will quit the game long before they ever get enough credits to unlock them all

When i was leveling my first toon, at around lev 40 i had over 2 millions. The GTN is so predictable, that even a half wit lemming can earn with it.

So, people crying becasue of their lack of interest in actual game economy are just pathetic.

Edited by Alienciacho

People have to start realizing that credit sinks in MMOs keep server economies healthy. No credit sinks equals to massive inflation. New players then have a much harder time as everything costs 15-20 million.

The more credit sinks, the better. I think these are perfectly reasonable. You can't get everything right away, but you'll get everything eventually.

that is only true in a faucet-sink model if the faucet is large enough to accomodate new players and new characters. otherwise, you simply build up frustration.

there are other economic models at mmos - open economies like eve or player regulated markets like swg used to have. these dont require abilities to cost 5mil. what this basically leads to at some point is either a free to play model with people just spending hard cash instead of grinding like stupid or a shadow economy with cred farmers. though with so little ways to actually make money in the game, not sure how that would work in swtor.

a better model would be to free legacy from costs completely. find new sinks for endgame content (like starships, building guild residences - a starbase for instance, luxury items, pets) and keep sensible sinks for chars that are leveling up.

also, all currencies should be merged. one for pvp, one for regular trade. that should be enough. right now, there are... i dont even know how many currencies there are.

I have an idea, not sure if it's doable with the current technology, but i'll post it here anyways.

How about BW adding something ingame, especially endgame, that's actually FUN TO DO. I have no ideas how but how about BW check the SUGGESTIONS and see the SEVERAL GREAT IDEAS for FUN content.

Repeatable dailies are NOT fun. These things only survived because ppl liked to show off their epeen or had absolutely nothing else to do.

However i have absoutely no issues in repeating esseles/black talon, as far as i'm concerned add something like these with several different paths in them. Almost all other fp's are just overgrown heroics. I don't care about pvp, space is pitiful, ops/fp's are boring (besides bugged) as hell after a few runs. Between alts and crafting i might have 500k.

I know and understand that credit sinks are a necessary evil in mmo's, but make gaining creds/commendations FUN and less ppl would have problems with them.

With the amount of credits the legacy items cost its ridiculas.

Patch 1.2 comes excited for legacy I login

look thru legacy unlocks and realize almost all cost huge money even if you have the lvl.

setup family tree .. realize its pointless and has no effect on anything.

cant afford any unlocks.

log off ... make sure my subrscription wont renew and play something else.

I'll have to agree with the starter of this thread. The prices for the legacy unlocks are way too high. I understand that they unlock features on multiple chars but if you only play one character that's a big pile of cash. I suppose you can divide it among your chars if you have multiple but if you don't you are screwed. You will only have one set of companions that earn the cash for you and only one crafting profession that will earn you your credits. Yes you can do daily quests but i don't consider that "easy money".

At the guild summit they mentioned that there would be perks obtainable simply by reaching the appropriate legacy level, yet in-game you still need to blow a huge insane amount of cash to get it. That's just not what was promised. Ok i understand not everything can be free but it would be nice if you could at least get some freebies for your hard work earning legacy xp and reaching legacy levels. I believe it would be better to either a) lower the costs or b) have unlocks per character as well, with appropriately modified costs. Another option would be to have the first tier of tier abilities be free and the other higher tiers cost money, so you could at least have a taste.

I was also expecting more fun unlocks than just the stuff they mentioned. Perhaps some speeders, pets, unique class abilities, weapons, armor etc. Just imagine being able to buy some moddable mandalorian or authentic movie-esque Sith gear for a char with legacy level + an appropriate amount of cash.

The family tree.....well it's pointless really. No stat bonus, no options to write bios or share capabilities. Would be nice if they had expanded this feature so it actually added some immersion. Now you just put your chars in there and 20 secs later you are done with it.

You have to grind for legacy points, you have to grind for credits, and you have to grind for commendations for gear. Games are supposed to be fun not a bunch of repetitive nonsense designed for simple minds. I don't mind working for something or making it difficult to do, but when it becomes this huge grind-fest that is where I really start losing interest.

I'm in the same camp as you. From what I've seen of 1.2 so far, I don't think I'll still be playing come 1.3

They should add an option to work for things in a not credit specific way. Maybe tag an unlock and your legacy xp goes towards that instead of your legacy level until it unlocks... at least then there is a sense of progress.