should i pvp?

RaydoX

Hey guys been playing for a week and im totally hooked ive never mmorpg before and loving the change i just love doing my own thing tbh and going through the story.

Im rank 27 as a sith warrior and from time to time struggle alittle in a few battles the sand demon was very difficult.

I am begining to think my lack of pvp is being an issue here is it needed i have never had one and even know alot about it if anybody has any advice on the matter or tips please advise?

Should i just continue with the story and once completed compete in pvp?

hope you can help good day.

Here is the skinny. PvP from level 1-49 is a blast. Get in on it. Get some nice gear for leveling too! It's just plain fun.

PvP Level 50 is largely dependent on gear. You'll hear things like 'pay your dues' and such nonsense. Basically, you have to put up with a lot of dying and very little else before you get your gear (which, in reality, doesn't take that long). Once you have your gear, it's your turn to faceroll the newbies. Now 1.2 offers some alternative to getting totally spanked by geared out facerollers. However, this will cost you nearly 300K credits. It's the new blue PvP gear set that you can buy and get into PvP without feeling too much pain. This comes with a price however. It's blue gear. You can't mod it. You will LOOK like a noobie, and will pull geared up people to you like a black hole!

Basically, 1-49 is fun as heck. 50 is just OK as long as your willing to gear up. Don't bother listening to those that tell you it's all about skill. It's not, it's about gear. Get some and go get some.

Try and PvP with some friends and use a voice server. It will improve your experience exponentially.

in reply to your title:

if you like to fight against other people

if you don't mind having the virtual e-pixel representation of yourself "dying" at other's hands

if you don't mind taking learning from your mistakes

if you like grouping with others towards a common goal

if you have an understanding how your class works

if you have an understanding how other people's class works

then yes, you should try pvping!

in reply to your OP:

you have only been playing your first MMO for a week...

you should learn your class abilities through pve and then take that knowledge with you when you pvp...

things are going to work in pve, but don't work in pvp... and vice versa...

that being said, like everything else, the earlier you pvp, the more you do it, the more practice and knowledge you get, the better you get...

for tips, youtube your class and watch some videos and also visit your class specific forums for tips and such...

the pvp forum here, also has some warzone specific tips that may help you as well...

Edited by wessik

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think fear of getting my *** wooped has put me off a little but then I won't know if I don't try, so I take it pvp earns some good items/armour? I will have a first attempt tonight and try and get done pvp experience under my belt. I'm currently on tatooaine but due to leave for alderann straight away to continue the story mode.

Should go back to the very start and pvp there will it be easier or just try what ever planet I'm on?

PVP without a PVP guild is not fun.

On our server ( Ajunta Pall ), every match you will get into, you'll fight at least 1 full 4-man premade, but more often than not, you'll fight 2 4-man premades ( 8 premade ). Your team usually will also have 1 premade, but they will laugh at you for being a noob, then they will laugh at you for being undergeared and having to be carried. Then, the opponents will laugh at you for being such an undergeared noob that can't even take 3 hits.

You will die a lot. You will usually die in 2-3 seconds tops when it's your time to die ( ie : your icon was next in line ). If you're lucky, the opponents will mark you with a low-importance mark, which means you might live a bit longer.

If you're a healer, you'll be shot down as soon as you land in the PVP area, you will last 5 seconds at most, unless you stay stealthed, in which case you might last 10 seconds until people spot you from 20 meters away or place an AOE stealth detection field on you. If you DPS, then you will hit your opponents for like 200 per hit ( they will have 18000 hp ) and they will ignore you while they hit the premaders, until they get tired of you and hit you for 4500 per hit for 3-4 times in a row.

You will be the cause your team loses the match until you are BM geared. Anyone who doesn't have at least 16K hitpoints doesn't really count and is mainly wasted space, they are cannonfodder. You are part of this cannonfodder group, your job is to run in the frontlines, /flap /flap and get machinegunned down by the real players. Your life will last 5 seconds, so make the most of it, try to /flap and see if you last long enough to do a /flagdown too !

That said, PVP with a PVP guild is quite a different story.

Edited by Rensel

On our server ( Ajunta Pall ), every match you will get into, you'll fight at least 1 full 4-man premade, but more often than not, you'll fight 2 4-man premades ( 8 premade ). Your team usually will also have 1 premade, but they will laugh at you for being a noob, then they will laugh at you for being undergeared and having to be carried. Then, the opponents will laugh at you for being such an undergeared noob that can't even take 3 hits.

You will die a lot. You will usually die in 2-3 seconds tops when it's your time to die ( ie : your icon was next in line ). If you're lucky, the opponents will mark you with a low-importance mark, which means you'll have some breathing space. If you're a healer, you'll be shot down as soon as you land in the PVP area, you will last 5 seconds at most, unless you stay stealthed, in which case you might last 10 seconds until people spot you from 20 meters away or place an AOE stealth detection field on you. If you DPS, then you will hit your opponents for like 200 per hit ( they will have 18000 hp ) and they will ignore you while they hit the premaders, until they get tired of you and hit you for 4500 per hit for 3-4 times in a row.

You will be the cause your team loses the match until you are BM geared. Anyone who doesn't have at least 16K hitpoints doesn't really count and is mainly wasted space, they are cannonfodder. You are part of this cannonfodder group, your job is to run in the frontlines, /flap /flap and get machinegunned down by the real players. Your life will last 5 seconds, so make the most of it, try to /flap and see if you last long enough to do a /flagdown too !

You sir made my day

You will die a lot. You will usually die in 2-3 seconds tops when it's your time to die ( ie : your icon was next in line ). If you're lucky, the opponents will mark you with a low-importance mark, which means you might live a bit longer.

If you're a healer, you'll be shot down as soon as you land in the PVP area, you will last 5 seconds at most, unless you stay stealthed, in which case you might last 10 seconds until people spot you from 20 meters away or place an AOE stealth detection field on you. If you DPS, then you will hit your opponents for like 200 per hit ( they will have 18000 hp ) and they will ignore you while they hit the premaders, until they get tired of you and hit you for 4500 per hit for 3-4 times in a row.

I'd like to hear your views on meeting significant others...

Yeah, I see a lot of that for the newbs in 50's warzones. If I see someone with <13K health, I do inspect them. If they're wearing green, level 40 or less gear, I suggest getting better gear. If they reply like an ******e, I watch them get killed. If they reply with questions on how to get better gear, I'll guard them for the match and take them to Belsavis for dailies, craft implants and earpieces for them.

It's not so much the gear as it is the attitude of the people in the warzone.

If you like getting the adrenaline of playing against live opponents and not computers then you should definitely give it a try. To me, in my personal opinion, the difference is like playing a fighting game, by yourself, against a comp. vs. playing against friends..much more fun!

Hey guys been playing for a week and im totally hooked ive never mmorpg before and loving the change i just love doing my own thing tbh and going through the story.

Im rank 27 as a sith warrior and from time to time struggle alittle in a few battles the sand demon was very difficult.

I am begining to think my lack of pvp is being an issue here is it needed i have never had one and even know alot about it if anybody has any advice on the matter or tips please advise?

Should i just continue with the story and once completed compete in pvp?

hope you can help good day.

You can only learn to PvP by PvPing. I recommend you at least try it, even with your fear of getting wiped. You may get wiped, but once you figure out what other people are doing to wipe you, you can start doing it back to them.

IF you want to PvP just make sure you understand the resolve system, players fresh to PvP often have no idea what it is and end up thinking PvP is broken and sh*tty and quit it.

Oh and I should also mention. If you decide after PvPing to start PvPing on a regular basis, expect to be overleveled for PvE content. As it is now, with the amount I PvP, my alts do at most half the planetary quests (it's either that or get so ridiculously overleveld that planetary content all turns grey and gives me 0 exp).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think fear of getting my *** wooped has put me off a little but then I won't know if I don't try, so I take it pvp earns some good items/armour? I will have a first attempt tonight and try and get done pvp experience under my belt. I'm currently on tatooaine but due to leave for alderann straight away to continue the story mode.

Should go back to the very start and pvp there will it be easier or just try what ever planet I'm on?

Let me tell you something right off the bat that will make your whole pvp experience now and later a lot better: Do NOT be afraid of getting whooped...

Check out your class forums and learn some pvp builds, rotations, what skills are most useful (and some that can't even be used) in pvp and try to just learn from your mistakes. You'll do fine as long as you are willing to learn and have fun......and join a pvp guild lol!:)

Do you like PvE? Do you want to get better at it? Play PvP. There is nothing else in the game that will improve situational awareness (important for raiding when adds, AoE reticles, or even collapsing buildings come into play) faster than PvP, if you take it seriously. This is the fastest way to learn it, because unlike most encounters, players are less predictable, and you'll learn to keep your head on a swivel. Or you'll get killed a lot. Hopefully, you get better at it.

While PvE rotations can be picked up fast, binding efficiently and using the UI to its fullest is oft neglected by even some PvEers who would consider themselves hardcore. Some even get by in PvE. But you'll get rolled in PvP by a player that has access to more information than you and can respond to you faster than you him.

PVP is not needed - you can play the PVE part of the game just fine without ever PVPing.

However, you may find that PVP is fun. PVP also has no risk -- your armor will not be damaged and you can lose nothing. If you queue up for PVP warzones, when you are done, you will reappear where you were and can continue questing.

There is one way that PVPing can help your PVE experience -- you can use warzone commendations to buy things at the PVP Armor Vendor and PVP Weapons Vendor on the fleet. They have gear for level 20s and level 40s -- much of which is better than the normal quest gear at those levels.

Don't worry about getting killed in PVP. It will happen. A lot. But you just get up and charge back to the battle.

EDIT: PVP can also help you by giving you xp. If you are finding PVE fights hard, you can get xp through PVP to get to the next level. When you go back to questing, as a higher level character, the fights will be easier.

Edited by sjmc

Oh, I forgot to mention! There is ZERO penalty gear wise for getting defeated in PvP! This is a great thing. Even if you get stomped you don't lose any credits. And as to the comments above about a PvP guild... not needed, but having a lot of friends, and especially friends on a voice server will help you a lot. Especially as you just get started!

Most of all, have fun. Pick a class that and a spec for that class that is easy to play and good at PvP (yes, there are such things). Go to Youtube and watch some PvP videos to get an idea on the playstyle of that class. Start bashing people!

Kinestheticly speaking, nothing will help you learn a new skill rotation like PvP. You can try out a new skill in your rotation, and if it doesn't work at that well, you don't pay a ton of credits to fix your gear!

Edited by Mindsplitter