The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What was so bad about SWG?

TheSkyPirate

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all these years, I still remember, Publish 9 was the one that removed all the risks and dangers of Jedi, who used to have Permadeath. Subsequent patches eventually catered more and more to the Jedi.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the Cantinas. They used to be full with relaxing players. I frequently used to visit for a break from combat and adventuring. Entertainers (musicians, dancers) did their thing. It's not a lie to say that the Cantinas at Coronet, Theed, Mos Eisley, and Bestine were crowded like a real life, successful night club.

I still remember, that my character as an Imperial Stormtrooper, eventually had a favorite dancer, a certain blue Twilek that frequented Mos Eisley and Bestine. Which is why I guess blue Twileks still have a soft spot for me when I see them in SWTOR...

Oh, and I still remember "Team Hawtpants," the famed (infamous) Entertainer groups that were always wearing hotpants. And their slogan, "Give in to the hawt side." :p

Ahh yes. Hawt pants pvp. Nothing but striped down in hawt pants with a weapon and buffs. Then there was the neked and drunk pvp. It ruled. u'd get ur arse handed to u over and over , but it was a blast and sooner or later everyone was in vent and drunk and their toons were neked and pvp'ing.

Nothing like running for ur life across Tat cause ur speeder or mount died. Tusken Raiders nippin at ur heals and coming across a Master Ranger with his tent and campfire. Made u actually gasp for breath IRL knowing that in that camp u could heal all ur wounds and craft a med pack or 2 w/o worring about creatures or npc's spawning on top of u. On top of all that , when u get to the camp , u catch ur breath and turn to see that ur Master Ranger that was so kind to let u in is in nothing but undies and a knife......and hairy....

I still shiver at night.....

Edited by Sniperrecon

Sniperrecon, to contrast your first post about being a Jedi with a bounty and running away from the BH who just got off the shuttle...

I played an MBH (Master Bounty Hunter,) for three years, took me about 3 months starting from launch to get to MBH.

A thankless, cut-throat, brutal existence, travelling from world to world, constantly needing new gear, avoiding mobs whilst tracking your mark across every locale imaginable... Credits were sparse for a solo Bounty Hunter, constantly taking shuttles from one place to the next, hoping beyond hope that your mark would be easy to find, only to realize that he's some 600 Kilometer's away, on what seems like the other side of the planet, and have him or her be gone by the time you got there. Personally, I was lucky to have two credits to rub together half of the time...

But the thrill of the hunt... You finally manage to close in on your mark. You've just crested a high ridge, they're in the valley, fighting some trash mob or another from a Mission Vendor. Fifty Meters... They haven't noticed you yet. You could open fire now, but you risk losing them, and god forbid he's a sniper, his weapon would be more effective than yours at this range. Close the distance. 40 Meters... 30... 28... Ideal weapon range. Somehow he's unaware of your presence... Or he's confident he can take you. Check your equipment, make sure your traps are on the hot-bar, get ready for a fight. You net him, let loose with your blaster, and before long, the chase is on.

He runs down the valley, training every mob he possibly can behind him in hopes that they'll aggro to you should you mess up. One wrong move and 30 red's will be swarming you... And more importantly, you'll lose your payday.

Finally, the mark makes a mistake, tries to crest the hill without... (Damnit, what was the skill called? Scout skill, made difficult terrain, like hills, easier to negotiate...) The mark slows to a crawl as he trudges up the hill, and you get right in on him. Forget the blaster, it's time to end this; time to use the acid gun. (Yeah, BH's totally had Acid Guns. Lightning Guns too.) Three meters. Douse him in acid. Confirm the kill, and return to the terminal.

Back in the city, you buy any new equipment you might need, maybe buy a new speeder with the latest influx of credits you've managed to save... And spend the rest being (pretending, in my case, I was under-age at the time. =P) drunk in the cantina. Mess around, lose some bar brawls, lose a couple bets... And before you know it, you're broke again... Guess it's back to the Bounty Board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWG was, let's face it, a terribly broken game. I was young then, so I saw it through rose-colored glasses, as we all did, but it was bad for me. I've played SWG Emu; that's broken even worse at the minute, but even so, it brings back all the old memories...

As broken as the game was, as poorly as every feature was implemented, as terrible as the development team was.... It was still a game that was somehow greater than the sum of it's parts. It was a game that rewarded you for just doing whatever the hell you wanted, for being stubborn and really going out of your way to play the game exactly the way that you wanted to play it... Because you could be unique. Maybe not in aesthetic, (Too true about the lack of interesting armor, but armor was only one small portion of the available clothing) but in character, in purpose, in how you chose to play the game.

An efficient, well-geared, and smart Bounty Hunter could rake in the credits, going only for the easy targets, going for the targets they knew they could take, or specifically catering themselves to dealing with certain types of individuals, like Jedi. And if that's how you wanted to play, it let you do that. Me? I wanted the targets no one else wanted to take, I wanted the hermits, the recluse's, the targets that would give me the most interesting scenario, especially if it wasn't a straight-up fight... And SWG let me have that. My version of 'Big Game' and most BH's version were two completely different things... But SWG rewarded my version of it equally. Maybe not in credits, but in a different kind of value.

And as a Bounty Hunter, the best thing was probably the few occasions where I ran into other Hunters with the same mark as me, tracking them at the same time. It was always a question of "Do I take the mark right along-side him, and risk him winning the contract, or do I take him out, and risk losing the mark again?" There was always those three seconds where each player had to make a decision, and who shot first, and at what, could spell either victory or death.

I didn't make many friends there that carried over into RL, but within the constructs of the game itself, Maldricus Xevalian made tons of business partners. A droid maker whom he helped off the ground, early in both their careers, a weapon smith who liked his all-business attitude and would sell him guns for cheap, a smuggler he'd saved from an Imperial Corvette that would always make time to slice his weapons, and occasionally even help him bait a mark out into the open...

SWG was truly a game where your narrative, the narrative that you and only you wrote, mattered. Sometimes only to you... And sometimes...

Yes, SWG was a broken game, unfinished in almost every regard, and it definitely had its issues... But none of that mattered when you were at the center of the universe. And SWG let you be there.

Browsing the forums, I've noticed the name SWG (Star wars Galaxies) pop up various times during a discussion - and it's usually described as a terrible title when that happens.

Since I never got to play the game, I had to rely on my research (skimming through Wookiepedia's page on the game) to learn about it. Turns out it had quite a few interesting features, such as housing and player-built cities, bounty hunting, diverse space activities and the feature that impressed me the most, a third-person shooter-ish combat.

My question here is: why is SWG considered such a sub-par game? Was it the new features that scared off players? Was it poor implementation of these features?

Anyway, thanks on advance.

the reason for this is because people do not like having to work and explore to find stuff people dont like challenge they would rather have a childish theme park

ONE character? the SWG I played had 2 per server :p Oh yeah and I had 3 active accounts...something I wouldnt do for SWTOR :D

I believe 2 chars/server was introduced with NGE, before that, only those who unlocked Jedi could have 2 chars, on *one* server.

I gave SWG a go many years ago, and for the most part it was rather enjoyable. The problem was I never felt very immersed in it and found it a rather hard game to get a grasp of so I didn’t stay long. Perhaps it was because I was still a relative noob at MMO’s or because I was still playing my first online game (FF11) but I just didn’t find it that hookable.

I believe 2 chars/server was introduced with NGE, before that, only those who unlocked Jedi could have 2 chars, on *one* server.

Yeah could be :) before that I didnt have a proper pc to run any game lol...after NGE people with Elder Jedi could unlock a 3rd char slot too

Yeah. When the game first launched u only got 1 char per server. I saw the game on a shelf in Japan at a duty free shop. Bought 4 copies and sent 3 home. I had to talk my wife through the install setup and DL's at first , but she got the hang of it. Before long i had to buy 4 more copies for the other kids and 2 months later bought another for me. In the end i had 2 elder accounts (giving me 3 toons on that server per elder) and 7 other accounts ( 2 each per server) for a total of 18 toons on 1 server.

Towards the end , my kids didn't play as much and i'd "whore" out my other accounts to guildies. My ent and medic would stay online all the time with macros going so guildies could always get buffs and i'd usually have those 2 and 2 others up and running when i played.

I was also entrusted with 3 other Elder accounts towards the last 2 years and used them as well.

I even made money off some of my other Elder accounts before CU came out.

My biggest mistake was selling my main 2 accounts (not my wife and kids accounts) when i was wounded. During that time i couldn't play anyways and always felt a pit in my stomach. It only lasted about 8-10 months before the buyer asked if i wanted them back for free , so i took it. When i came back , the toons were a different faction and everything was different all around. My char name was tarnished as well , but that got fixed with a little explaining for the most part.

Fun times indeed.

ah the good ole days of having a player city, sure do miss it. played for about a year after launch and thought it was the best game i had ever played, yeah it might have been a lot of grinding but the skill trees in my opinion aside from the player housing and cities was what made this game. ill never forget my Master Teras Kasi and Squad Leader

Alot of haters. Some were justified because they were upset over the way NGE was handled, so while I disagree with them on spreading the hate, I do understand.

Most Haters have never even played SWG or they logged in and logged out because it wasnt like WOW. Most of these people just heard nothing but bad stuff from the original players that were still upset 5 years later and they rolled with the same opinions. It was like a virus of hate.

Personally I was happy just to log into my little home on tattooine and check on my moisture vaporators, watch the sunset and ride into town just to hang out. I did not care about being a jedi. It was the open world that was incredible. It was an interactive opporunity to enjoy the starwars universe in way that I am afraid we will never see again.

To me this is the big difference between the two. SWTOR is a video game where SWG was a virtual world.

Best MMO I've played, and certainly the most unique in many respects. Yes, it did have its flaws, but it was still epic none the less.

The people complaining about SWG are just people who've never played it upset that they missed the glory days of star wars MMOs. Back when things were still (relatively) canon, and there were plenty of people in the community who didn't just ***** and troll.

Edited by NoRforU

Sniperrecon, to contrast your first post about being a Jedi with a bounty and running away from the BH who just got off the shuttle...

I played an MBH (Master Bounty Hunter,) for three years, took me about 3 months starting from launch to get to MBH.

A thankless, cut-throat, brutal existence, travelling from world to world, constantly needing new gear, avoiding mobs whilst tracking your mark across every locale imaginable... Credits were sparse for a solo Bounty Hunter, constantly taking shuttles from one place to the next, hoping beyond hope that your mark would be easy to find, only to realize that he's some 600 Kilometer's away, on what seems like the other side of the planet, and have him or her be gone by the time you got there. Personally, I was lucky to have two credits to rub together half of the time...

But the thrill of the hunt... You finally manage to close in on your mark. You've just crested a high ridge, they're in the valley, fighting some trash mob or another from a Mission Vendor. Fifty Meters... They haven't noticed you yet. You could open fire now, but you risk losing them, and god forbid he's a sniper, his weapon would be more effective than yours at this range. Close the distance. 40 Meters... 30... 28... Ideal weapon range. Somehow he's unaware of your presence... Or he's confident he can take you. Check your equipment, make sure your traps are on the hot-bar, get ready for a fight. You net him, let loose with your blaster, and before long, the chase is on.

He runs down the valley, training every mob he possibly can behind him in hopes that they'll aggro to you should you mess up. One wrong move and 30 red's will be swarming you... And more importantly, you'll lose your payday.

Finally, the mark makes a mistake, tries to crest the hill without... (Damnit, what was the skill called? Scout skill, made difficult terrain, like hills, easier to negotiate...) The mark slows to a crawl as he trudges up the hill, and you get right in on him. Forget the blaster, it's time to end this; time to use the acid gun. (Yeah, BH's totally had Acid Guns. Lightning Guns too.) Three meters. Douse him in acid. Confirm the kill, and return to the terminal.

Back in the city, you buy any new equipment you might need, maybe buy a new speeder with the latest influx of credits you've managed to save... And spend the rest being (pretending, in my case, I was under-age at the time. =P) drunk in the cantina. Mess around, lose some bar brawls, lose a couple bets... And before you know it, you're broke again... Guess it's back to the Bounty Board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWG was, let's face it, a terribly broken game. I was young then, so I saw it through rose-colored glasses, as we all did, but it was bad for me. I've played SWG Emu; that's broken even worse at the minute, but even so, it brings back all the old memories...

As broken as the game was, as poorly as every feature was implemented, as terrible as the development team was.... It was still a game that was somehow greater than the sum of it's parts. It was a game that rewarded you for just doing whatever the hell you wanted, for being stubborn and really going out of your way to play the game exactly the way that you wanted to play it... Because you could be unique. Maybe not in aesthetic, (Too true about the lack of interesting armor, but armor was only one small portion of the available clothing) but in character, in purpose, in how you chose to play the game.

An efficient, well-geared, and smart Bounty Hunter could rake in the credits, going only for the easy targets, going for the targets they knew they could take, or specifically catering themselves to dealing with certain types of individuals, like Jedi. And if that's how you wanted to play, it let you do that. Me? I wanted the targets no one else wanted to take, I wanted the hermits, the recluse's, the targets that would give me the most interesting scenario, especially if it wasn't a straight-up fight... And SWG let me have that. My version of 'Big Game' and most BH's version were two completely different things... But SWG rewarded my version of it equally. Maybe not in credits, but in a different kind of value.

And as a Bounty Hunter, the best thing was probably the few occasions where I ran into other Hunters with the same mark as me, tracking them at the same time. It was always a question of "Do I take the mark right along-side him, and risk him winning the contract, or do I take him out, and risk losing the mark again?" There was always those three seconds where each player had to make a decision, and who shot first, and at what, could spell either victory or death.

I didn't make many friends there that carried over into RL, but within the constructs of the game itself, Maldricus Xevalian made tons of business partners. A droid maker whom he helped off the ground, early in both their careers, a weapon smith who liked his all-business attitude and would sell him guns for cheap, a smuggler he'd saved from an Imperial Corvette that would always make time to slice his weapons, and occasionally even help him bait a mark out into the open...

SWG was truly a game where your narrative, the narrative that you and only you wrote, mattered. Sometimes only to you... And sometimes...

Yes, SWG was a broken game, unfinished in almost every regard, and it definitely had its issues... But none of that mattered when you were at the center of the universe. And SWG let you be there.

VERY well spoken sir.

I loved SWG too, although, I'm not sure I'd want to go back and play it again (yes, I know its gone, but there are servers still out there)

In fact, I loved it so much, some of my toons and legacy here are named after the SWG servers, see if you can spot them!! ^^

Seems to me that jarjarloves is the only one that's actually looking at the game realistically and not waxing poetic through rose colored glasses.

Why? Because he has absolutely nothing good to say about it? If you want a fair judgement, look at those who wrote good and bad things.

For me SWG until now has not been surpassed by another game I have played including this one.

Compared to SWTOR, SWG seemed to pick up from where SWTOR stops. To elaborate, SWTOR has an amazing PVE experience as a themepark MMO, but once you reach 50... well the game starts to become repetitive and boring.

SWG on the other hand was a grind fest till you hit cap (80 initially, 90 after) but once you did that there were MANY things you could do and the community had the tools to spawn more!

For sure SWG suffered from management decisions and budget cuts, BUT the last 3 months of SWG were probably the best in the 8 years I played it, including pre CU, CU, NGE, post NGE!

I ll just mention the Galactic Civil War raging around the planets through ground invasions and space invasions, atmospheric flight and last but not least AIR TO GROUND PVP COMBAT!!

YES in the end you could fly your TIE defender and attack those enemy players that outnumbered your ground allies... that was by far the best feature I ve seen in an MMO!

To mention a few more over the years, the quest to BECOME a jedi, and I mean the original pre-holo one.

Space as with JTL it was like playing xwing vs tie only on an MMO!

Crafting based economy, which was so much more fun than grinding equipment...

Elaborate crafting system instead of the 3 year old process we have in most modern MMOs

Meta games, including creature handler/ beast master, player city management, story teller feature, junk/cube recipes and so many more...

Finally I need to mention SWG WAS a SOCIAL GAME, as an MMO should be, not a game pretending to be social...by marking areas and items as.... social!

To sum up, if SWG had the budget and exposure and management this game has I cannot see any way it could be surpassed by another game. For me this applied even after a totally messed up 8 year life with a tiny budget and dev team...

/DEEPBOW SWG and last SWG dev team!

Second Life.

Wrong

Second life was not star wars. No empire vs rebellion. No t21 or e11 blasters. No stormtroopers. No x wings. No chance to burn an ewok village down. No chance to kill sand people settlements. No chance to fight on behalf of the empire or rebellion. No chance to be a bounty hunter to possibly have marks on actual players. No chance to have a business selling clothing, weapons, armor, starships, starship components, buildings, etc. in the star wars universe.

Basically no other game now lets you live, fight, and get blasted in the star wars universe like SWG did. There was no prescripted story as to what your character was about. It was entirely up to you, the player.

And again, SWG let you do so much, all in the original trilogy's setting. The game had many faults when I played in 2004-2005. Yet I have never found an MMORPG since that provided that kind of great experience, along with great people.

By the end of the SWG days, they had just about gotten it right. Sure pre-cu was better, but most of us accepted the change and moved on. Sadly, over the years the graphics aged terribly but they continued to add a tonne of content and features that I hope Bioware put in at somepoint. No, this is not a sandbox game like SWG was but there are aspects of that sandbox that I enjoyed, player housing for example, having private personally designed places for guild meetings etc, love it or hate it it filled a void for an online starwars game that was sorely needed (for some 8 years)

All I can say is that SWG made me feel like I was in a star wars universe. My ship could fly anywhere ( I could actually fly it... ! i know... crazy...) Housing, crafting was much better... wow the list would fill several pages.

SWTOR makes me feel like i'm playing some sort of WoW clone with a star wars mod and better graphics over the top.

Edited by Talarchy

It had loads of bugs and wasn't exactly perfect, but if it was still going I'd still be subscribing and playing it daily. Ive never really liked the whole themepark MMO thing, feels like the game is spoonfed to you and aimed at the casual gamer. Galaxies wasn't aimed at the casual gamer. I played it for 6 years and still had things I wanted to finish when they shut down all the servers. World pvp was a bit dull after years of standing around the one world pvp zone, but at least you got pvp happening there reguarly, and if you got enough gcw points, you would get on the top 10 leader board so everyone could see how good you where. If your guild got on the leaderboard you would gain instant travel abilitys. I could go on for hours and not cover everything. It was a game you needed to play, cause looking at screenshots of a 8 year old game doesn't do it justice. :D

Well i think sniperconn hit almost everything on the head there...SWG was an awsome game & i played 6+ years everyday on Tempest/euro-chimaera & starsider & i must say it was the best years of my life so far.Althogh i like TOR i just cant see it ever filling the shoes of SWG but i'm willing to give it a chance,mainly because there is no other star wars MMO out there.

Fingers crossed for the future of the game & i say give them more time & they may supprise you :)

COMM! :D

Hows it going m8, havnt seen you in forever :p

/agree *sheds a tear*