The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

gizbug

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want this game to grow and prosper in more ways than one so badly.

Except that asking for mergers flies in the face of wanting the game to grow. Mergers are bad publicity. They are messy, complicated affairs that are more trouble than they are worth. Dying games resort to mergers when there is nothing else they can do to save their games. This game is not there yet (far from it, despite the chicken littles' cries of the sky falling)

People should be asking for transfers off of dying servers, use those transfers when they come, so Bioware can close down some of the excess that we have. Because we can all agree there are too many servers.

I dont think there will be Server Mergers, they will probably implement Cross server LFG and Cross server WZ.

As much as X Server WZ's/LFG look appealing now... I just feel that SWTOR should be putting community before a hotfix and offering server merges. Making a PR campaign out of the "We heard your cries, we've looked at server stats, we've seen what you're all up to and we're going to throw together servers that we think will compliment the community and player base on each side...."

It's no fun if you make a friend on X-Server and then get split server side.... :(

Except that asking for mergers flies in the face of wanting the game to grow. Mergers are bad publicity. They are messy, complicated affairs that are more trouble than they are worth. Dying games resort to mergers when there is nothing else they can do to save their games. This game is not there yet (far from it, despite the chicken littles' cries of the sky falling)

People should be asking for transfers off of dying servers, use those transfers when they come, so Bioware can close down some of the excess that we have. Because we can all agree there are too many servers.

The problem is we shouldn't NEED to ask.

If BW can't see their game is in serious trouble, they have more problems than transfers.

The problem is we shouldn't NEED to ask.

If BW can't see their game is in serious trouble, they have more problems than transfers.

Problem comes down to community communication, they're just not giving us key points in the places we need them. :)

I'm sure they know what they need to do but they can't just snap their fingers and make it happen. They need a plan but they need to sort out a timeline and then relay it to us, the consumer, the customer, the whiny little poop bags who just won't cut them a break when they mess up :D

1) There won't be server merges. Bank on it. They won't let the perception that the game is dying happen.

2) Lots of players want server merges as long as it the other player who has a character with the same name who has to name change, not them. It's kinda like NIMBY if you think about it.

I hope they do server merges just so I can see the endless whining from people who are forced to name change. That oughta be worth a laugh or two.

1) There won't be server merges. Bank on it. They won't let the perception that the game is dying happen.

2) Lots of players want server merges as long as it the other player who has a character with the same name who has to name change, not them. It's kinda like NIMBY if you think about it.

I hope they do server merges just so I can see the endless whining from people who are forced to name change. That oughta be worth a laugh or two.

So when the offer free xfers and no one is left on some servers, how is that different? Seems worse to me as it only makes the problem a larger issue for those left behind.

Person who merges first/logs in first gets to keep their name. Then the name is taken and the next person has to reconcile. I don't see how thats a huge issue.

Simply put, the fact is and remains:

There are loads of servers out there that do not have many players on them at all. Only a few are heavily populated. So those servers with only a few people are practically dead. Due to that, not many people can find other people to do content like either group quests, flashpoints or ops.

Also, when people want certain items and they are not sold by either vendors or on the Galactic Trade Market, they can hardly find people to craft the item they want for them.

So what BioWare needs to do is find a way to fill up servers. Get more populated servers.

Because for the current amount of players, you don't need THAT many servers.

Which means that they can do either 2 things as i said before:

1. They need to give people the option to migrate to a more populated server and then, close the empty servers.

so that would mean "Server Migration"

2. Those players that are either not active or just wish to stay on their current server, combine that server with other low populated servers. Bring them together so you get more populated servers and that would mean "Server Merging"

Because as it is now, if it stays as it is now, they will lose alot of subscribers. 'coz no one wants to pay for something that they don't get. No one wants to pay for something and just wait some time for it for it while their money goes to waste. For example, i have still a bunch of quests sitting in my quest log that i can't complete alone. I've tried to find people to help me completing that quest but since that server (as many others) are practically dead, i won't find many if none at all to help me and i end up just waiting, and waiting and waiting 'till finally someone shows up and tells me "I'll help you" and no offense, i love both the Star Wars movies as well as the game. Not to mention the music but i'm not planning on paying for just waiting while my money is going to waste.

So when the offer free xfers and no one is left on some servers, how is that different? Seems worse to me as it only makes the problem a larger issue for those left behind.

Person who merges first/logs in first gets to keep their name. Then the name is taken and the next person has to reconcile. I don't see how thats a huge issue.

Because in the issue of character transfers, you can choose where you go, one, and two, you can pick a server that has a name you want still available. You can even plan ahead and reserve any names you want on your destination server before you transfer. With merges, you're at the mercy of where Bioware sends you and if you happen to get home from work later than your namesake gets home from school, you're unfairly and arbitrarily screwed. That will lead to many angry subscribers and you can bet that will be the last straw for some. People tend to grow attached to their names in MMOs

Edited by YanksfanJP

YO YO...

it's stupid that BW didnt start moving MANUALLY ppl from empty servers... they lose customers and we lose in game buddies.... more than half of my friends quit, cause they got bored of logging in and stay on our ventrilo server, doing nothing, since in exiles crystal at least the last 3-4 days there were absolutely NO WARZONES... i am not over reacting, not a single one... we are talking about total 30 ppl online... can you believe that?

how BW as a company, afford to lose sooo many players, players that WANT to play the game...

Community is crying for soo long now, but the only thing they said was ... "early summer transfers"...

The whiners whined at launch when lots of servers had queues. Bioware responded by raising server caps and adding servers. But, as always, the whining doesn't stop, it just finds a new direction.

Now, whiners whine about NOT having a server queue.

The silent majority on your *ALERT: sarcasm* "ghost server" */sarcasm* doesn't want a server merge, they're too busy NOT sitting around on the fleet twiddling their thumbs and spamming.

I have 3 Republic 50s on a decidedly Imp-heavy server that hovers between Light/Standard, and I have a Sith on The Fatman I've toyed with off and on for 3 months (he's on Voss). I've seen both "sides" of the coin.

Why isn't the Sith 50 after 3 months?

Because I'm not sitting in an "effing" queue, for one thing.

The fleet lags there.

General chat there is an abomination, and I'm not talking about just the fleet.

He's Sith, after all, they're the bad guys.

I'm too busy playing on my "ghost server" Republic characters.

Server merge? NO. Not needed. Quit crying.

Paid server transfers? I don't have a problem with this at all! I'll not begrudge someone from joining the "winning team" if they so desire, plus it generates a little extra revenue for Bioware. However, until they're available, a wise man in another thread offered these two options:

1) Reroll

2) Unsub

I, along with most of the "silent majority", don't give a rat's rectum which option you choose; as long as it means one less whiner whining about one less thing on the forums, we win.

You must be part of the 99%. Crying about people crying... yup, mature you are.

Have fun playing with yourself.

You're right. There won't be. Because merges are a decade-old buggy and convoluted mess. What WILL likely happen, though, are transfers off of low-pops and closing them down to cull the number back, which is industry standard these days.

Probably true. But at least the industry standard is fairly painless and take no longer to do it than logging in normally.

I don't. It's messy, convoluted, buggy, and usually results in more unhappy players. No, a transfer/shut-down like Rift did last year is what is likely going to happen. It worked like a charm.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

All I know is if these populations issues are not fixed when my current time runs out I am not coming back anytime soon. I don't care if it is by cross-realm que's for pvp and flash points or free server transfers away from low pop realms, but I done logging in to spend more than half of my time not even playing the game. Edited by SeatherQ

I really hope Bioware does something soon about all these low pop servers, the down time on doing anything in this game anymore is ridiculous. I'm getting pretty frustrated with it as well, definitely seems like a money sink to be paying for this and getting half the content back.

All I know is if these populations issues are not fixed when my current time runs out I am not coming back anytime soon. I don't care if it is by cross-realm que's for pvp and flash points or free server transfers away from low pop realms, but I done logging in to spend more than half of my time not even playing the game.

Yup, I feel the same way. After my sub runs out, the only way I would come back is if they offered me free time to come back and also gave me the same free transfers they gave everyone else.

If BW was business savvy, they would have server merges out next week, the same week that Diablo III drops. Half my guild is picking up D3, and we are thrilled to get off our slow server and into some fresh action.

Having transfers next week would completely distract us from Diablo III. We were laughing about that today in Team Speak.

But no, BW wants to wait another month and a half or so, and let subs drop and turn people off from the game.

The technology is there. The leadership at EA/BW is not.

If BW was business savvy, they would have server merges out next week, the same week that Diablo III drops. Half my guild is picking up D3, and we are thrilled to get off our slow server and into some fresh action.

Having transfers next week would completely distract us from Diablo III. We were laughing about that today in Team Speak.

But no, BW wants to wait another month and a half or so, and let subs drop and turn people off from the game.

The technology is there. The leadership at EA/BW is not.

By "fresh action" you mean "non-PvP action", right? :p

anything but sitting in fleet waiting for pvp to pop or trying to organize an 8 man operation! :p

At this point, i'm just sitting, doing nothing, waiting for things to happen that used to take a few mins max back early in JAN.

anything but sitting in fleet waiting for pvp to pop or trying to organize an 8 man operation! :p

At this point, i'm just sitting, doing nothing, waiting for things to happen that used to take a few mins max back early in JAN.

They really need to do server transfer/shut-downs this month. I'm hoping that "early summer" was worst-case scenario. Not for my sake, but for the sake of the game. I'm on the 20th most-populated server and can get a full 24-man together no problem.

They really need to do server transfer/shut-downs this month. I'm hoping that "early summer" was worst-case scenario. Not for my sake, but for the sake of the game. I'm on the 20th most-populated server and can get a full 24-man together no problem.

Its a massive problem. I simply cant do the content in the game anymore. There aren't enough people anymore. Post 1.2, my server has emptied itself out.

Like I said, Diablo III next week. What would I rather do? suffer with low pops or go check out D3?

Its a massive problem. I simply cant do the content in the game anymore. There aren't enough people anymore. Post 1.2, my server has emptied itself out.

Like I said, Diablo III next week. What would I rather do? suffer with low pops or go check out D3?

Definitely, I don't blame you. Go check out D3. Come back when there are no low pop servers, ranked warzones are here, and the revamped open-world is at least talked about, hehe.

Really? Today I had the WORST WZ I've ever played and I was so mad at my Republic friends that I almost didn't join the queue again, I ended the night on the mest Hutt Ball game I've ever played!!! :) Imps were kicking our bums and then out of no where we just started to score, we started to stick toghether and found a rhythm, we hit 4/4 and then just stole it with score 5 and 6 :)

WZ's are as fresh as you can get your team to make them. I even stealthed behind a guy on voidstar and we were stood practically back to back as I planted the bomb with another stealthed ally right next to me... it was great and we couldn't believe we got away with it :D

Hopefully BW/EA will do something to improve community/queue/PVE activity for players and the community at large but I don't think the community as a whole, even though it whines a lot has a lot of faith in the speed at which BW/EA are moving.