The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Meetra Surik(The Exile) Cooler than revan IMO

Vektarulz

You know, I don't think Revan is actually meant to be a hero. Looking at everything we've seen of him, from before KOTOR to now in SWTOR, the story of Revan seems like a Greek tragedy, of this gifted, brilliant man falling to the Dark Side and having it dominate his destiny from thereon in. Because no matter what he does, no matter what intentions he has... it always goes wrong.

- Ignores Council's fears of great darkness unseen. Goes to fight Mandalorians.

- 'War of Conversion' and battle of Malachor V ends up accidentally creating Darth Nihilus (would have consumed all Force-users)

- Finds out Jedi Council were right - becomes Darth Revan

- Finds Star Forge, thinks he can wage war on Republic and somehow come out on top against Sith Empire; doesn't work, betrayed by Malak, Republic devastated instead

- Amnesiac, saves people on Taris only for them to meet a horrible end against rakghouls

- Stops Malak, destroys Star Forge, but leaves to find Sith Empire, Republic teeters on collapse until saved by Surik, and Nihilus is stopped by Surik

- Tries to confront Sith Emperor again, loses

- Imprisoned, tries to convince Sith Emperor to be peaceful but (I think?) gives Sith Emperor access to farseeing through Light Side as result

- Piece of Star Forge hidden on Nar Shaddaa found by Sith Empire

- Freed, tries to destroy Sith Empire; ends up losing Foundry to Sith Empire splinter group

- Current status unknown

He's like Empire Strikes Back Luke - he has the power, but he doesn't have the wisdom. He flails about, trying to 'fix everything', believing that this time he can make all the sacrifices worth it and it never happens. He doesn't know himself and he can't let go of his mistakes. If he just stopped to think for a moment...

But no. He's come this far, but he still hasn't learned anything. Compare and contrast to Surik, who spends a whole game coming to terms with who she is and the mistakes she's made. I think she might have to win this one.

Edited by smartalectwo

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I don't think Revan is actually meant to be a hero. Looking at everything we've seen of him, from before KOTOR to now in SWTOR, the story of Revan seems like a Greek tragedy, of this gifted, brilliant man falling to the Dark Side and having it dominate his destiny from thereon in. Because no matter what he does, no matter what intentions he has... it always goes wrong.

- Ignores Council's fears of great darkness unseen. Goes to fight Mandalorians.

- 'War of Conversion' and battle of Malachor V ends up accidentally creating Darth Nihilus (would have consumed all Force-users)

- Finds out Jedi Council were right - becomes Darth Revan

- Finds Star Forge, thinks he can wage war on Republic and somehow come out on top against Sith Empire; doesn't work, betrayed by Malak, Republic devastated instead

- Amnesiac, saves people on Taris only for them to meet a horrible end against rakghouls

- Stops Malak, destroys Star Forge, but leaves to find Sith Empire, Republic teeters on collapse until saved by Surik, and Nihilus is stopped by Surik

- Tries to confront Sith Emperor again, loses

- Imprisoned, tries to convince Sith Emperor to be peaceful but (I think?) gives Sith Emperor access to farseeing through Light Side as result

- Piece of Star Forge hidden on Nar Shaddaa found by Sith Empire

- Freed, tries to destroy Sith Empire; ends up losing Foundry to Sith Empire splinter group

- Current status unknown

He's like Empire Strikes Back Luke - he has the power, but he doesn't have the wisdom. He flails about, trying to 'fix everything', believing that this time he can make all the sacrifices worth it and it never happens. He doesn't know himself and he can't let go of his mistakes. If he just stopped to think for a moment...

But no. He's come this far, but he still hasn't learned anything. Compare and contrast to Surik, who spends a whole game coming to terms with who she is and the mistakes she's made. I think she might have to win this one.

Your sort of right, but quick question,

Whats the piece of the star forge found on nar shadaa? Is it a quest? If so where can i get it from?Also he didnt let the emperor through to the light side as a result, that would have happened anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I consider myself a fan of both the Exile (Meetra) and Revan. I think of her as more an equal partner to Revan at this point, though obviously he took the spotlight -- it's his book, after all. So yes, more was made of Revan and his great knowledge of the mysteries of the Force, but Meetra was still very capable and generally was the one doing the rescuing, rather than the other way around.

Just looking at her death, in and of itself -- yes, it was basically a cheap shot, a rather sudden thing. But then she goes on in death to become, in essence, the one guardian that could remain and not be thwarted by the Emperor or any of his cronies, true and loyal beyond death itself. Maybe it was a "cheap" death just taken alone, but her actual "ending" was very powerful and worthy of her story, IMO. (I would liken it to Obi-Wan's death -- he was cut down pretty unceremoniously by Vader, but as he said, "Strike me down and I become something more powerful than you could ever imagine." Meetra's fate was much the same.)

Not sure if this debate is still going, but saw this and felt that I had to quote it- I agree completely. Meetra is my favourite SW character if I had to choose (love the name they gave her, it fits so well I think) and I like Revan a fair bit too, but Revan was always portrayed as a leader, THE leader. Meetra was clearly a leader as well, but Revan was the top-dog military hero type that everybody knew of during the era.

I think Meetra's death was fine. Sad, naturally, it's always a shame to see such a well-written character die, but Scourge WAS committed to stopping the Emperor, Meetra and Revan KNEW this. The pair had nothing to worry about regarding Scourge's loyalties, the only factor (that they could not predict) was his vision. That vision was sudden, a spur-of-the-moment thing that Meetra and Revan could never have predicted.

Meetra died because she chose to save the life of her friend and mentor, personally I can't see how a character could be given a less noble and dignified ending. People seem to think there's some Drew-hates-Meetra conspiracy. He gave her a beautiful and poetic ending, it's a real shame that people don't see itt :(

Not sure if this debate is still going, but saw this and felt that I had to quote it- I agree completely. Meetra is my favourite SW character if I had to choose (love the name they gave her, it fits so well I think) and I like Revan a fair bit too, but Revan was always portrayed as a leader, THE leader. Meetra was clearly a leader as well, but Revan was the top-dog military hero type that everybody knew of during the era.

I think Meetra's death was fine. Sad, naturally, it's always a shame to see such a well-written character die, but Scourge WAS committed to stopping the Emperor, Meetra and Revan KNEW this. The pair had nothing to worry about regarding Scourge's loyalties, the only factor (that they could not predict) was his vision. That vision was sudden, a spur-of-the-moment thing that Meetra and Revan could never have predicted.

Meetra died because she chose to save the life of her friend and mentor, personally I can't see how a character could be given a less noble and dignified ending. People seem to think there's some Drew-hates-Meetra conspiracy. He gave her a beautiful and poetic ending, it's a real shame that people don't see it :(

well i think that the debate has mainly been settled with all but the true and uncompromising revanites(something i used to be, but im not completely uncompromising i guess since i finally gave in and now find meetra a better character overall, since to me her story is more mature and perhaps a little darker, than revans which is pretty much clasic star wars(well it was in kotor. now we know he fell to the darkside on his own at the end of the mando wars{for a good cause perhaps, but still} and did it on his own again after his imprisonment{again, for a good cause, but its still dark}, whereas meetra has always stayed true to the light(she made a couple pretty big mistakes following revan, but she did her best to make up for it, and never really fell to the darkside).

however, on a side note, while my fav char used to be revan, and then meetra, now its teetering between qui-gon and mace windu(which is strange since i always hated the movies, and the prequals even more so. but i like those two characters out of them.)

(i use a lot of parentheses{and sub parentheses} dont I?)

this thread really should be buried i agree. after I(was it me? i think so, but i dont even know any more) necroed it a while back i got like 5 emails a day from subbing to it. now out of nowhere the emails are coming back. if it keeps up ill end up having to unsub from this thread of many debates that never seem to end despite having an obvious winner. well i guess its not obvious at all, but it certainly is the winner...

this thread really should be buried i agree. after I(was it me? i think so, but i dont even know any more) necroed it a while back i got like 5 emails a day from subbing to it. now out of nowhere the emails are coming back. if it keeps up ill end up having to unsub from this thread of many debates that never seem to end despite having an obvious winner. well i guess its not obvious at all, but it certainly is the winner...

I learned my lesson from getting sub notices in email.

Pre-Forum Wipe, I subbed to Revan vs Vader. D:

I learned my lesson from getting sub notices in email.

Pre-Forum Wipe, I subbed to Revan vs Vader. D:

there was a thread about that? was it in power or coolness? coolness revan wins without 2 seconds thought. power, according to lucas, vader is more powerful, but from everything i can find other than from lucas(been ignoring him since special edition), revan is way more powerful. maybe pre - robosuit he might be close but...

there was a thread about that? was it in power or coolness? coolness revan wins without 2 seconds thought. power, according to lucas, vader is more powerful, but from everything i can find other than from lucas(been ignoring him since special edition), revan is way more powerful. maybe pre - robosuit he might be close but...

Sorry, Revan isn't anywhere near as cool or powerful as Vader.

Yes, I went there. Happily.

according to lucas, vader is more powerful.

That's because Lucas can't handle the idea of people preferring characters other than his own. I'd say Vader looks cooler, but Revan is more powerful. Couldn't help throwing in my two cents :p

That's because Lucas can't handle the idea of people preferring characters other than his own. I'd say Vader looks cooler, but Revan is more powerful. Couldn't help throwing in my two cents :p

i really don't see why people think revan is the jesus of star wars.

yes he was cool and yes kotor was a fab game but face facts this is GL's product and what he says gos so if GL says vader was more powerful then he was end of story.

yes he was cool and yes kotor was a fab game but face facts this is GL's product and what he says gos so if GL says vader was more powerful then he was end of story.

*Welcomes you to the club*

Good on you. Another person who understands canon facts.

this is GL's product and what he says gos so if GL says vader was more powerful then he was end of story.

He created it, he started the ball rolling. But all he cares for now is the money, the Clone Wars is proof of that. Him saying something because he wants to tread on other people's work is fine- but only fine for him. I don't think many people listen to the garbage he says anymore.

During, and before the clone wars the Jedi were the most powerful they had ever been. Simply because teachings had advanced by that time. They trained in focused aspects of the force. By that time force techniques used by the Jedi, and Sith in this era would be mostly forgotten, or thought to be primitive.

He created it, he started the ball rolling. But all he cares for now is the money, the Clone Wars is proof of that. Him saying something because he wants to tread on other people's work is fine- but only fine for him. I don't think many people listen to the garbage he says anymore.

Yeah... except the fact that anyone who wants to make any continuity in SW has to follow his rules and his canon statements or else their fired.

KT is a perfect example of that.