3 Days as an Advanced Prototype on live: An in-depth Pyro BH’s look

TheOpf

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AP will have a lot of people trying it out. Because there are quite a few Pyro guys who are really AP guys, but have played Pyro for the easier pvp play.

I was out sick yesterday, and since I will be at work until 5pm. I won't be able to try out the new abilities in AP. I am excited about the changes.

Oh and I posted the name poll.

Edited by TheOpf

Respec'd as AP when I logged in after the patch. My own couple of days of testing now commences. I won't be near as detailed, but I'll happily give a summary after some FPs/Ops and a little PvP to compare it to Pyro.

So far I love the animation on Immolate. :D

I played for about an hour with the Tibetan Candle Build (Agoooooozz) and honestly my survivability was way up. 8 percent damage reduction on guys attacking me was really nice.

3 Things I noticed right off the bat.

1. The PFT slow and no interrupt is amazing. 1st no one is used to it. I killed several people who tried to interrupt or attempted to run away during a burn.

2. The IC version of AP will lose to the HEGC AP hands down. I ran into a guy and blew him up. I pulled off two pft's to his 1 PC. He died and I was still at 50 percent health. The IC slow is nice, but not enough to make up for the damage difference.

3. Because the slow on PFT allows us to get off full burst, we can drop healers now. It still requires a properly timed interrupt, but if you drop your first pft after his bubble goes down than they will drop fast.

4. Using the 12 sec rule and Immolate adding a stack means there is more than enough time in your rotation for RB, RP, and RS. This doesn't mean you have to use it, just means it's much easier to add them in without losing PFT.

I'm not seeing the snare on PFT / PG at 5 stacks. I just tested in a duel and my friend couldn't tell the difference. We could tell the difference on a Gut snare.

Yeah, it seems to be really buggy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. At least on pulse cannon.

I played for about an hour with the Tibetan Candle Build (Agoooooozz) and honestly my survivability was way up. 8 percent damage reduction on guys attacking me was really nice.

As much as I would love to get credit for the name, it wasnt me that came up with it. I had to search back in the thread, and I believe Xsorus was the first one to mention it.

3 Things I noticed right off the bat.

1. The PFT slow and no interrupt is amazing. 1st no one is used to it. I killed several people who tried to interrupt or attempted to run away during a burn.

2. The IC version of AP will lose to the HEGC AP hands down. I ran into a guy and blew him up. I pulled off two pft's to his 1 PC. He died and I was still at 50 percent health. The IC slow is nice, but not enough to make up for the damage difference.

3. Because the slow on PFT allows us to get off full burst, we can drop healers now. It still requires a properly timed interrupt, but if you drop your first pft after his bubble goes down than they will drop fast.

4. Using the 12 sec rule and Immolate adding a stack means there is more than enough time in your rotation for RB, RP, and RS. This doesn't mean you have to use it, just means it's much easier to add them in without losing PFT.

I am glad you're having more success with it than I am. But then again, I only tried it for a couple of hours after the changes. I still think the tree needs more. I mean we agree that the non-RS is more effective most of the time, so now only ONE of the 1.2 AP changes are affecting the spec.

Just curious what 8% that we didn't have before?

I'm thinking he's referring to the expertise change which against players with low expertise it will be a good reduction.

Player in PvP though it should be a wash.

OK. Was racking my brain. Did he pick up the 16% armor increase, but didn't think that equated to 8% reduction.

It's basically a wash on my server. Most people in BM.

I would but I have eliminator BM. I'll have to grind out the Combat Tech BM to give it a whirl.

Wont be much of a grind with the ability to buy the pieces so cheap with WZ comms, I bought my BM Eliminator Gaunts today after the daily and a few more games. I think in a week you could have you a Combat tech set, its not that much of a difference you could play with the expertise of the eliminator setbonus would be nice but you get what you get either way, I wanna try it out myself. Seems like an interesting spec. I love pyro but unless the laugh comes back or I start hearing it better knowing when the proc happens without staring down at my buffs is gonna be a pita

Wont be much of a grind with the ability to buy the pieces so cheap with WZ comms, I bought my BM Eliminator Gaunts today after the daily and a few more games. I think in a week you could have you a Combat tech set, its not that much of a difference you could play with the expertise of the eliminator setbonus would be nice but you get what you get either way, I wanna try it out myself. Seems like an interesting spec. I love pyro but unless the laugh comes back or I start hearing it better knowing when the proc happens without staring down at my buffs is gonna be a pita

Just want to say, I'm running critted War Hero gear with no 2/4pc bonus right now. It's fine. The only thing I miss is less CD on out get out of stun ability. .5s on carbonize, meh. 15% crit on RP meh.

Just curious what 8% that we didn't have before?

Power Armor plus Combust and it's 6 percent not 8. I am an idiot sometimes, and yes with the changes to expertise it's much easier to live against a non-expertise guy.

The pre-50 bracket damage charts are way down. You can be top pre-50 with 150k now, I was doing some alt testing, and ran with a sorc who did 80k damage and was 3rd, and in 10 WZ's I would hit 120 on my alt, and he would hit 80-90k and we would be top damage. No one broke 200k unless the fight lasted a long time.

The new WZ btw is a blast with a group. It is awful when pugging.

Respec'd as AP when I logged in after the patch. My own couple of days of testing now commences. I won't be near as detailed, but I'll happily give a summary after some FPs/Ops and a little PvP to compare it to Pyro.

So far I love the animation on Immolate. :D

Give us an update on the Play mate! We always enjoy feedback.

BTW, Immolate is the single funniest part about the spec. Run into a group and hit immolate and watch people flee! haha!

Give us an update on the Play mate! We always enjoy feedback.

BTW, Immolate is the single funniest part about the spec. Run into a group and hit immolate and watch people flee! haha!

Yeah, it's like I tossed a dead skunk in the middle of a full room. They sure scatter fast! Unfortunately it's counter-productive as I want them to all bunch up for PFT, but it's still amusing. :)

Not much of an update on the play yet as I think I'm still in the 'getting used to it' phase. Damage isn't as bursty as Pyro but it's nothing to sneeze at either. With all the traits that increase elemental damage, plus the crit magnitude trait and cylinder, you get some rather respectable Flame Bursts. It's nice to see Rocket Punch hit hard again too (ran CP for quite a while). I just need to get used to proper PFT usage I think, but that will take a bit of time. I had some nice ones by Voidstar doors or breaking ball carrier stacks in Huttball, and I had a lot that I thought would be good that weren't due to lag/timing.

I'll be running it for tomorrow's Ops though where I should be able to rather easily run a tight rotation and stick PFT on bosses every 15 seconds. I'm looking forward to seeing how heat management compares to Pyro in an Op setting. I'm also looking forward to the extra movement speed for a few fights.

Really, my biggest issue is with Hydraulic Overrides. I either forget it's there, or use it too early, or use it too late. I need more time getting used to how it fits in to group play, when to use it for best effect, and so on. I'm sure when I'm better with timing it will change how potent the spec feels. It's a pretty awesome skill...I'm just not awesome with it yet.

Really, my biggest issue is with Hydraulic Overrides. I either forget it's there, or use it too early, or use it too late. I need more time getting used to how it fits in to group play, when to use it for best effect, and so on. I'm sure when I'm better with timing it will change how potent the spec feels. It's a pretty awesome skill...I'm just not awesome with it yet.

I had the same problem since beta but got over it over time. Since it's on a mere 30 second cooldown it's better to use HO and waste it than not use it and die or get robbed of a kill as a result.

Yeah, it's like I tossed a dead skunk in the middle of a full room. They sure scatter fast! Unfortunately it's counter-productive as I want them to all bunch up for PFT, but it's still amusing. :)

Not much of an update on the play yet as I think I'm still in the 'getting used to it' phase. Damage isn't as bursty as Pyro but it's nothing to sneeze at either. With all the traits that increase elemental damage, plus the crit magnitude trait and cylinder, you get some rather respectable Flame Bursts. It's nice to see Rocket Punch hit hard again too (ran CP for quite a while). I just need to get used to proper PFT usage I think, but that will take a bit of time. I had some nice ones by Voidstar doors or breaking ball carrier stacks in Huttball, and I had a lot that I thought would be good that weren't due to lag/timing.

It's a little tough to get used to doing pft. A few recommendations, On sages/sorcs use it when they drop forced lightning ;p. Do it immediately after a grapple on just about anyone. It's hard to do it when you are playing the chase game, but it gets easier with time. I actually run through a guy spin around and then unleash PFT quite a bit.

I'll be running it for tomorrow's Ops though where I should be able to rather easily run a tight rotation and stick PFT on bosses every 15 seconds. I'm looking forward to seeing how heat management compares to Pyro in an Op setting. I'm also looking forward to the extra movement speed for a few fights.

IT'S THE 12 SECOND RULE :eek:;)

I have been playing for about a week now and still keep forgetting about HO. It's a gamebreaker when used properly in huttball or just before a PFT against a group with knockbacks. I put it directly below my FT button so I have FT at 2 and HO at shift 2.

My keybinds are 1 = Rapid shots (never changed it makes it easy to use a free ranged attack), 2 = FT, 3 = RP, 4 = FB, 5 = Immolate, 6 = Explosive Dart, 7 = Rail Shot (even though I am not specced for RS, sometimes you got to hit that runner).

I then have my shift key handle a lot of the other stuff. S2 = HO, S3=Carbonize, S4=Electro Dart, S5 = Quell. I tend to keep things in an order all AoE's in one sequence all Escapes in another, all CC's next to each other so that they flow logically. I think I have Explosive fuel at s1 but I don't remember. I know TSO is s6, and my aoe's are S7,s8, s9.

Just like Mapex said, Don't save it, better to use it incorrectly than not use it at all.

Edited by TheOpf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.