Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Just a simple list pros / cons Player City / Housing

Hewbaka

2. Lively up the planets with people traveling from and to cities looking for a cheap bargain or just for some action Open World PVP and Guildwars. I have and many with me seen this work in SWG. So get those people out of their save instanced places into the WORLD!

Empty world will loose you subs its a fact.

This is not a fact. Every MMORPG ever created experienced "empty zones" once the initial mainstream leveled past them. Many reworked zones later on so as to re-use them as current content.

Further, we have ships. We don't need housing.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply extend all planet areas and create designated cross-server sandbox areas somewhere outside the questing zones.

Planets are way too small anyway at the moment. Way too small.

The planets will be "extended" as the game matures and they create new flashpoints, ops, leveling areas.

Game is brand new.

Further, we have ships. We don't need housing.

If a bunch of my friends could board the ship and I could decorate it with some (appropriate) furnishings and other sorts of "dressing" then I would agree. (And by "a bunch" I mean "more than 4").

As they are, ships aren't really a "home." They're just a 3D realization of the travel UI.

Edited by Chessack

I would love to see an EQ2 type of housing system in this game. Every time I see a big city like Corellia, Drumond Kass or Nar Shadda with all the towering stuctures, it really gets my imagination going. There seem to be all these huge cities---why not give the players an ability to buy an apartment or penthouse with a view where we can stash all our belongings? That would be a huge plus in my opinion.

Open world housing? I don't think it would be hard ala a Vanguard approach where you had neighborhoods you could purchase a lot. I more like the EQ2 type of system although LoTR wasn't bad either although the hook system was most disappointing to say the least. A big yes to housing!!

Edited by Florial

How did I know the OP was a SWG vet? :rolleyes:

If SWG had never had player cities, people wouldn't be asking for it in SWTOR. I've rarely seen the request (if at all) for any other MMO I've played. Not for EQ, nor for LOTRO, nor for DDO...the list goes on...

But now, since Star Wars is somehow inextricably tied to SWG, some people want player cities in any Star Wars MMO?

Actually the WoW forums are littered with Housing requests, but Blizzard does not even dignify them with a response....Thank goodness

I've NEVER understood the desire to have a house as a Player Character in an MMO. But I guess I come from a different mind set. having played RPGs for the better part of 30 years, my mentality is that as a player character you are an adventurer. You move from hotel to inn to hotel waiting for the next adventure. I have played a couple of table top campaigns where the party did have a home base. But their housing was nebulous; no one cared where they actually lived. The GM just said you have a house/apartment. The ONLY time one even actively thought of owning property and a home was when you planned to retire the character.

Further, I've never understood the hoarding of gear you will never use again. And who would be stupid enough to actually WANT to see someone else's castoffs? It's not like you can lend one of those weapons or armor to a friend. I do understand keeping that one weapon you had for two years type of mentality, and maybe keeping that one piece of armor that looked really cool, but even then after a while, in my mind, it's only taking up space no real good reason.

I'll be honest, I never played SWG, but I did have a friend who showed me player housing in EQ2 and my reaction was, "meh ok whatever. Let's get to good stuff, go kill something."

Edited by psandak

"Homes" were never a big part of the Star Wars story. Ships were...

I beg to differ, no Star Wars Character in the movies or the KoTOR series "lived" in their ship. They used them for travel, not "permenant living quarters." Even Han Solo had housing. He only lived in ships duiring his piracy days. That said, not everyone that plays SWTOR plays the role of a pirate.

However, take a good look at KoTOR:

Revan lived in an apartment on Taris, and before his turn to the darkside, the Jedi Academy.

Carth Onassi lived in a home with his wife and daughter.

Bastilla Shan lived at the Jedi Academy.

Canderous Ordo and Calo Nord lived on the Exchange Estate.

Mission Vao lived on the streets...not a ship.

Darth Malak lived on the Capital Cruiser, Leviathan, but only after he parted ways with Revan

Now take a good look at the Movies:

Ben Kenobi and Master Yoda lived in huts.

Luke Skywalker lived on a homestead.

Leia Organa lived in a mansion.

Lando Calresian lived in a penthouse.

Young Anakin and Shmii Skywalker lived in a slave development.

Padme Amadillia and Jabba the Hutt lived in a Palace.

The Emperor lived on a Retreat Estate.

Need I go on? Where are the ships that are so iconic and important to these very important Star Wars personalities?

...We have ships. Those are our de-facto homes.

They are ships, not homes. A home can hold more than 4 people. A home does not fly. A home has planetary scenery because it's on a planet. A home is what brings people together when adventuring is done. If you are going to make an arguement, at least keep it real.

Perhaps to deal with the whole ghost town aspect add some sort of mechanic that if you stopped paying a sub your house is taken off the wold map as well. Not only would it help keep things clean but would give ppl more reason to keep up they sub so they perfect location isn't snatched up lol

Urban sprawl and ghost towns, no thanks. Most people used houses to exploit storage capacities in SWG.

The only way I could see player housing would be like apartments in high-rises in the capital cities.

I would spend hours at a time customizing my house and our Guild Hall in SWG when I didn't feel like killing things.

My Fav was a Kryat Dragon Skull with glowing crystals in the eye sockets... that was cool.

I also remember some dude built a massive Aquarium in his home. It was on the Server Things to See List.

i loved the inside of our houses. They were great.

I did not enjoy the urban sprawl that you had to navigate to get anywhere.. that got old quick.

The Apartment Idea is the best idea. Planets like Nar Shadda, and Couroscant, and the space station make perfect sense for this. Have a square with vendors and trainers, then elevators that take you to instanced rooms. In the grand scheme of things not that difficult to code.

I could get on board with our ships as our 'homes' if they were more than just a hub for travel. The 1.2 update is actually doing a lot towards this with the vendor droid, mailbox etc... although these things are going to be pretty expensive. All that's lacking is the ability to modify a little. Let us hang a nice weapon we're not using any more on the wall because it looks cool. Let us change the color scheme. In other words, let us make our ships not look like every other ship of the same class.

I would love to see an EQ2 type of housing system in this game. Every time I see a big city like Corellia, Drumond Kass or Nar Shadda with all the towering stuctures, it really gets my imagination going. There seem to be all these huge cities---why not give the players an ability to buy an apartment or penthouse with a view where we can stash all our belongings? That would be a huge plus in my opinion.

Open world housing? I don't think it would be hard ala a Vanguard approach where you had neighborhoods you could purchase a lot. I more like the EQ2 type of system although LoTR wasn't bad either although the hook system was most disappointing to say the least. A big yes to housing!!

Fellow EQ2 player nice,i really wouldnt have an issue if they added some type of housing but no guild halls,you remember how that destroyed the citys,back on housing my smuggler considers his ship his house and hell it's big enougth,so i think if people can customize their ships that would be nice,i dunno i just dont want them to get all pet and house stuff frenzy going on while we need more Wz's imo.

As a START...They need to add "Trophys" from chain quest completions, and maybe special loot items that can be displayed on our SHIPS...i guess add a BUNCH of Hooks everywhere in the ship and allow us to decorate or brag that way...

its not perfect, but its a good start...We just want to decorate and show off what we have done, or spend some time remembering some cool times while leveling...

We can always invite friends or guildies over to show off and brag.....

heck let us hang weapons and armor too....maybe as a way for additional storage on a ship (not sure the data restrictions to how many items can be on a ship)

The Apartment Idea is the best idea. Planets like Nar Shadda, and Couroscant, and the space station make perfect sense for this. Have a square with vendors and trainers, then elevators that take you to instanced rooms. In the grand scheme of things not that difficult to code.

I don't know, instancing is isolating, housing should be different. I'd like to have neighbours.

There could be either

- one gigantic cross server housing planet (sandbox) with different areas (city, desert, jungle,...)

or

- cross server sandbox zones on all planets outside the questing areas which are there right now.

They could start where we now have those funny "exhaustion zones" :mad:

and Chests and shelves....dont give us more locker space(cargo hold) but more options of where to place things....chests for all those meds...chests for all those armor mods....Hooks to show off outfits(dummy npc basically that we can dress)..

maybe even a ship Log to write stuff in where we can re read later...(accesable on character and ship...)...also a good way to leave notes to guildies or friends if they come by when you arent there

EQ2 got housing right. For me, it was one of many things that kept me playing the game for 3 years. In EQ2, the city had a few pre-built neighborhoods. Each neighborhood had one or two house that players could buy, and it would be an instance so in fact many many people might live at #12 Elm St.

In your house, you could sell items that other players could buy off the auction house for full price, or they could find your stuff via that AH and go directly to your house to get the same item directly from your house and avoid paying the AH markup fee. And it was the ONLY way players of the opposite alignment could buy your stuff (if they were brave/capable enough to get to your house without dying).

You could put crafting stations in your house, which, iirc gave small crafting bonuses but were very hard to get.

You could craft furniture of various qualities to put in your house, and the furniture made from rare mats was truly amazing looking.

On days when I got bored with pvp and pve, and playing the market, there was always housing to play with. It really helped to get through the dolldrums and keep things going one more day. Eventually my house was so full of trophies and rare crafted furniture and all the most expensive flooring and wallpaper, that it became a real source of pride for me. And it didn't create an ever-growing neighborhood of emptiness.

Edited by DrSlate

EQ2 got housing right....

In your house, you could sell items that other players could buy off the auction house for full price, or they could find your stuff via that AH and go directly to your house to get the same item directly from your house and avoid paying the AH markup fee. And it was the ONLY way players of the opposite alignment could buy your stuff (if they were brave/capable enough to get to your house without dying).

Agreed with a majority of your post, but there was a Black Market vendor in both Freeport and whatever the other city was called. So, it wasn't the only way for the opposite faction to buy things from you.

If I want to play a game where I can build and decorate a house, I play a game that has those features and whose gameplay is centered around that sort of thing. I choose to play this game because it's more of an adventure style game. Spending too much time playing a single game is what leads to wanting things that just don't fit in that particular game. This is like asking for a 40 man raid boss in Call of Duty.

[i'll be honest, I never played SWG, but I did have a friend who showed me player housing in EQ2 and my reaction was, "meh ok whatever. Let's get to good stuff, go kill something."

Well then what stake do you have in this request? Why would you oppose it if you obviously have no use for the feature, just to deny it to others?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.