Being forced to stay in Fleet...ALL the time - bad idea

Megaloz

They should stop all this nonsense of limits in game. Open up General chat for EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the server to read and chat. That alone will not force us to stay in the fleet our entire lives at end-game.

Next allow travel to hit all our raids and FPs that we need....BESIDES the fleet!

Let me ask you this, how many of you, before you played this game, said to yourself....man i cant wait to get in game and chill at my favorite location (tatooine, hoth, coruscant...)....how many had a fleet base....a fleet base as your must go to spot and enjoy....ill take a guess....none!

So many nice looking planets, bioware, why do you force us of all the places....the fleet!?

I would love to imagine a time when tatooine would be thriving, people hanging out at the bar....living out their star wars fantasies.....or in a thriving world city of coruscant....which of course is anything but that.

I mean even if you wanted to go to these other places...you CANT. You become alienated from the general chat thats in fleet. Since there is no LFG system, you simply have to stay in fleet.... ALL...THE...TIME.

How about making incentives to WANT to pvp someone, on any planet there might be the opposing faction? I for one, didnt imagine, star wars, sith vs republic....the open world possibilities....being watered down to just 3 warzones. Wheres the incentive of real open world pvp...not illum, thats forcing you to one spot. Im talking a full incentive system where you'll WANT to fight anyone of opposing faction, on any planet! Right now there is 0.

So basically few simple things to really add some value -

1. Allow general chat to be server wide

2. Allow other methods of travel to reach desired end-game areas, besides fleet.

3. Implement good LFG system that dont demand you sit in one place to form a group. (being worked on)

4. Merge servers to get them more lively....alot more (think they have said something, but about character transfers, not servers)

5. Add more incentives to go outside fleet to do stuff and to chill (probably long term years plus project).

6. Add incentives to PvP people in the open world - as in on any planet you will run into a sith (arenas get boring, and Illum doesnt count, its still a FORCED place you have to go.)

Gonna add thought to number 1 after thinking and getting feedback. Instead of replacing general chat, perhaps they add another chat tab, called Galactic. This would coincide with the general chat. The general chat would stay and function as is, but Galactic chat would be server wide. Also the Galactic chat could be level tiered like in EQ2, so levels 1-9 can only talk to each other, 10 - 19, and etc....and at level 50 get their own bracket. And of course you should have the option of removing this tab if you dont like it, while still retaining the general tab. Sounds like a fair compromise.

Anyways thats my thoughts

Edited by Megaloz

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open up General chat for EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the server to read and chat.

Just imagine how much rapidly scrolling lines of chat there would be in your chat window when 1000 players are all saying things at the same time.

Massive overload of the chat window.

You would never be able to read any of it.

Just imagine how much rapidly scrolling lines of chat there would be in your chat window when 1000 players are all saying things at the same time.

Massive overload of the chat window.

You would never be able to read any of it.

And most of those things that will be scrolling by will be pure garbage. The text will fly so fast that you will have to stop and actively scroll back to see if anything was directed to you.

This may likely force many people to turn of general chat all together.

:rolleyes:

And most of those things that will be scrolling by will be pure garbage. The text will fly so fast that you will have to stop and actively scroll back to see if anything was directed to you.

This may likely force many people to turn of general chat all together.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, OP but whilst I understand what you would like to see...I think it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

I agree with the OP,

the Fleet being such a focal point is becoming a real weakness.

But one that could be easily addressed by:

-Putting the Daily quests into the interface, rather than having a "quest Terminal". Essentially do what WoW did with it's daily Dungeon and PvP Quest. It sucks having to return to that stupid Terminal on a regular basis.

-Implement a server-wide chat-channel - but add a strict spam restriction (say like...no more than 2 messages per minute).

-Allow us to visit Flashpoint and Operations straight from the Galaxy map. Why must we take a Shuttle from the Station when we have our own ship? It seems redundant.

-Add a dueling area on the Fleet.

I can imagine, because ive played many mmos that have done this...and guess what....its ALOT more enjoyable. Having a tie to the whole community on a channel trumps you having to scroll a couple lines because you was busy killing a mob.

In other words you would rather have a cricket quiet channel with no one talking......right :rolleyes:

Edited by Megaloz

Open up General chat for EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the server to read and chat.

YE GODS NOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

You haven't thought that through very much have you? Either that or you have little to no experience with MMOs.

Barrens/Elwyn Forrest Chat is all I need to say as most people will know what I mean. Later it moved into Trade Chat. ::shudder::

While I would like a server only LFG tool so I can be on another planet while I wait for a group I definitely don't want a serverwide chat channel. Also the mission dropbox idea is fine, they just need to make the dropbox universal. So basically you could pick up the PVE Flashpoint and PVP dailies at a mission box anywhere in the galaxy and turn it in at any drop box.

Additionally with the LFG tool you should be able to port to the hangar or ship where the FP is.

Edited by Evangelist

I can imagine, because ive played many mmos that have done this...and guess what....its ALOT more enjoyable. Having a tie to the whole community on a channel trumps you having to scroll a couple lines because you was busy killing a mob

1. Please list the "many" mmorpgs (there are NOT many).

2. In YOUR OPINION it would be "ALOT more enjoyable" (it will not ... unless you like fart jokes, people talking about how high they are, and verious other oh so game related drivel).

3. This actually kills community. It becomes a gamewide FLAME channel (you know like "trade chat" in WOW and that is only linked in the major cities. Could you imagine having to watch that crap while you were questing or in raids or in pvp).

So no, No, and even more NO! :rolleyes:

Edited by Urael

I can imagine, because ive played many mmos that have done this...and guess what....its ALOT more enjoyable. Having a tie to the whole community on a channel trumps you having to scroll a couple lines because you was busy killing a mob.

In other words you would rather have a cricket quiet channel with no one talking......right :rolleyes:

Better that than nattering, arguing, epeening, etc.

Herd mentality takes over majorly in server wide channel/chat. And it ain't pretty.

YE GODS NOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

You haven't thought that through very much have you? Either that or you have little to no experience with MMOs.

Barrens/Elwyn Forrest Chat is all I need to say as most people will know what I mean. Later it moved into Trade Chat. ::shudder::

No, i have alot of mmo experience. If its so bad, then lets pick the biggest example...Eve online. ONE server. You have chat channels the WHOLE server can communicate with. If its such a BAD idea....how the hell does the community survive!!!! How? Because its actually a community. Its an MMO for a reason - to play and TALK with other people. NO one complains....ooo...to many lines went by. Man up and scroll up then. If you notice spammers....block...fixed.

No, i have alot of mmo experience. If its so bad, then lets pick the biggest example...Eve online. ONE server. You have chat channels the WHOLE server can communicate with. If its such a BAD idea....how the hell does the community survive!!!! How? Because its actually a community. Its an MMO for a reason - to play and TALK with other people. NO one complains....ooo...to many lines went by. Man up and scroll up then. If you notice spammers....block...fixed.

EVE is a bit different though, no? I gather that they don't have herds and herds of delinquent ******s whose prime pleasure is shooting of their mouths and causing trouble.

IF people didn't feel the need to be rotten, I'd be all for it but...well...

EVE is a bit different though, no? I gather that they don't have herds and herds of delinquent ******s whose prime pleasure is shooting of their mouths and causing trouble.

IF people didn't feel the need to be rotten, I'd be all for it but...well...

No you will find your share of morons in EVE too....you will find this in any game, you cant control that. But theres ways to remove such players from chat. But to avoid a crucial feature in-game because your afraid of some idiots on chat of how they talk, how often they talk, is nonsense.

I was gunna take it seriously till the OP began proclaiming MMO Godlike experience then demanded we man up and scroll chat channel garbage for community liasions.....

I say .. your MMO experience is obviously limited if you think a general chat channel is what makes an MMO community.... still, nice try at humour tho :rolleyes:

A server wide LFG tool I cud warm to tho !

Edited by Bloodstealer

Ive seen the newbie channels in EVE and they aren't pretty either. IIRC there aren't any automatically joined sever wide channels in EVE that all players are a part of. You can make one, just like in SWTOR but people have to join it. There are the NPC Corp channels and they often are terrible too.

No you will find your share of morons in EVE too....you will find this in any game, you cant control that. But theres ways to remove such players from chat. But to avoid a crucial feature in-game because your afraid of some idiots on chat of how they talk, how often they talk, is nonsense.

Well, see...I don't think it's "crucial" to begin with. And I'm not afraid of some idiots, I'm tired of them intruding. :)

*shrug* Sorry, I just don't think it's that big a deal and don't miss it one bit.

Never heard of Goon Squad have you?

Sure haven't. Just going by what some EVE players have said...about how much "better" behaved their players are than _______ (e.g. any other MMO).

Could they have...told a porky? :rolleyes:

ETA: qualifier

Edited by DieAlteHexe

They could break up General chat in level tiers like Everquest 2, and you could only enter channels if you character was the appropriate level.

1-9

10-19

20-29

30-39

40-49

That will help filter a blob of people and still keep it server wide for your level bracket

Edited by Megaloz

They could break up General chat in level tiers like Everquest 2, and you could only enter channels if you character was the appropriate level.

1-9

10-19

20-29

30-39

40-49

That will help filter a blob of people and still keep it server wide for your level bracket

That worked out well in several MMOs I played. And it's less potential for crazed scroll rate.

So yeah, good compromise.