The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Luke Skywalker vs Superman. Who wins?

Ivanblood

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

s see it super man would a billion times out of a billion. A lightsabre would not be able to cut him cause superman can withstand the energys and temerature of the suns core so that is out But if superman could be choced witj the force that would be cool

The only reason he can do that is because it's the sun, not because he's immune to energy. A lightsaber, being plasma NOT from the sun, will carve him up.

He's also going to be vulnerable to the Force, which will be pretty unfortunate for him...

Should note, powers don't make the character. What makes the character is their personality and the like, Superman has been written at times a very great character due to that. Powers only make up a portion of a character, something which shouldn't gauge if a character is lame or boring.

...in your opinion.

I think the actual skillset of a superhero is half of the superhero. In my opinion, the most riveting character development in the world wouldn't hold my interest if the fighting and powers weren't to my taste as well. That's why i'm not a Cyclops fan. I love Scott Summers, i think he's interesting as hell, but when the **** hits the fan he's basically a normal dude with laser eyes.

...in your opinion.

I think the actual skillset of a superhero is half of the superhero. In my opinion, the most riveting character development in the world wouldn't hold my interest if the fighting and powers weren't to my taste as well. That's why i'm not a Cyclops fan. I love Scott Summers, i think he's interesting as hell, but when the **** hits the fan he's basically a normal dude with laser eyes.

Not saying that powers don't make a superhero, its only just part of a superhero. You take away their powers, and what do you have left? The person and the personality.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The only reason he can do that is because it's the sun, not because he's immune to energy. A lightsaber, being plasma NOT from the sun, will carve him up.

He's also going to be vulnerable to the Force, which will be pretty unfortunate for him...

A lightsaber wouldn't do anything to him unless maybe it had a kryptonite crystal or something.. which I'm not even sure would work.

If it could he would still have to hit him with it. Which is unlikely.

Luke Skywalker with his powers from SW novels vs Superman we all know.

Who wins in a battle to death?

Is it possible to kill Superman ?

Can the lightsaber cut Superman ?

I'm don't read DC Comics, but know something from cartoons, movies, etc. I think Superman"s power comes from the sun, so it depends a lot where the ight takes place.

Imagining a duel with an Earth-like Superman, I think it will depend if Superman would be vulnerable to the Force. If he is, then Luke would win certainly. Of course Superman can be killed, as think he was in his storyline at some point (correct me if I'm wrong) . And I think a lightsaber would be able to cut him.

While I am not sure which one would win....I must say people pairing the speed of Skywalker against Superman should take into consideration that Luke Skywalker attacks at a rate of twenty+ saber blows a second and has killed hundreds if not thousands of saber resistant warriors...in mere seconds.

* In Fate of The Jedi he was dueling a Sith Lord who was incredibly talented in saber combat...she glanced away for 1/3rd of a second and Luke had her cut into three or four pieces. *

So really....Skywalker isn't going to be seriously slower than Superman if he is slower at all...if anything he may be faster in a fight even if only for a short period of time.

A lightsaber takes time to cut through metal. It would not be able to cut Superman.

Luke's reflexes are fast for a human, but Superman can react at a good percentage of the speed of light. If Luke tried to use the Force, Superman could fry Luke with a wide beam blast of heat vision or freeze him with cold breath, or just slap his hands together and turn Luke to jelly with the shock wave. Or just keep it simple and pound his fist through Luke's chest in a millionth of a second.

The Force is a nice trick, but I have not seen it able to completely prevent someone from moving. Heck, Superman could even flick a booger through Luke's skull if his hand was the only thing he could move.

People like to throw in kryptonite or red solar radiation. Sorry, but that is not Luke's abilities beating Superman.

Luke could not even dream of being in the same class as Superman.

First:

Flash is faster than Superman. Flash is so fast he can rip holes in reality itself.

Superman probably beats luke handedly although if Luke wins it would be through a force choke... but some incarnations of superman can hold his breath for very long periods of time...

Supes can fly at the speed of light, Luke wouldn't even have time to react to him flying away or towards him to do anything. Again with the kryptonite. :rolleyes:

You do know what a

feels like don't you? If a Sonic Boom occurs when an object goes faster than the sound barrier within the Earth's Atmosphere... what do you think would happen if a man sized object were to go faster than the speed of light within the Earth's Atmosphere?

Let me answer that: It would destroy the planet in a single mighty catastrophic explosion. So no, despite what he says, and what the Flash says, neither of them can run, or fly at faster than the speed of light. It might be possible that they are able to accelerate their atoms to faster than the speed of light so that they can vibrate themselves through barriers, but they in no way shape or form can run or fly at that speed without destroying the planet. They can however get really, really close to it.

And if we are bringing planet destroying speeds into the realm of this combat, we might as well bring the Sun Crusher, Death Star and any number of other super weapons that exist in the Star Wars universe that Luke could conceivably have access to prior to the fight and somehow have brought with him into his encounter with Superman. Superman can't possibly survive all of these super weapons, even if his body is pseudo invulnerable.

Should note, Kryptonite actually takes time to affect Superman...you can't just show it and all of a sudden he is weakened by it. Or at least depending on which incarnation we are using here, but anyway this battle is rather...dumb dunno why it was brought up again.

Okay, so we have established that wrapping it inside of a Thermal Detonator which is targeted at Supes won't work. But that doesn't preclude the possibility of lacing something like a drink or something even less conspicuous with the substance. I imagine Superman would be pretty screwed if he ingested Kryptonite, now wouldn't he?

Batman has a crap ton because he's batman, he can afford to track the stuff down and lock it up for safe keeping and Iron Man?? Really? When has Iron Man EVER had kryptonite? Unless your joking, in which case Iron Man is in a different universe. Ya know Marvel not DC. ;)

They have done Marvel/DC Cross-over series before. But the whole, different universe argument doesn't work because that is the whole point of this thread in the first place. Luke isn't in the same universe as Supes so he has exactly the same probability of encountering Supes that Tony Stark has.

EDIT:

When being timed Superman flew from Earth to the Sun (approx. distance 93,000,00 miles) and back in less then 2 minutes, which means he would have to be moving at a rate of 5.9 Billion miles per hour. According to Batman he can travel at least 17 billion kilometers per hour, and nobody argues with Batman. :p

8 minutes. That is the time it takes for light to reach the earth from the sun. What you are basically describing is the ability for a human size object, and a human shape object, neither of which is designed for flight, much less space flight, to travel at a speed exceeding the speed that a particle with no registered mass is able to travel with. You are also proposing that this same object can manage this speed by accelerating to it under it's own power. According to Relativistic Physics, it would take Superman far longer to accelerate to the speed of light, than it actually would take for him to fly from Earth to the Sun and back. Not to mention that the amount of energy required to actually accelerate would be on the border of infinite energy consumption. He would have to eat the entire planet of it's supply of food to even have enough personal energy to pull it off, unless his strength and speed is 100% dependent on the Sun, in which case he would of had to immerse himself IN the sun first before being able to achieve that speed to begin with.

The Flash on the other hand, not having the invulnerability of Superman, would be forced to be content with Sub-Light speeds (a term from Star Trek meaning slower than light speed).

Edited by XantosCledwin

Luke Skywalker with his powers from SW novels vs Superman we all know.

Who wins in a battle to death?

Is it possible to kill Superman ?

Can the lightsaber cut Superman ?

I'm don't read DC Comics, but know something from cartoons, movies, etc. I think Superman"s power comes from the sun, so it depends a lot where the ight takes place.

Imagining a duel with an Earth-like Superman, I think it will depend if Superman would be vulnerable to the Force. If he is, then Luke would win certainly. Of course Superman can be killed, as think he was in his storyline at some point (correct me if I'm wrong) . And I think a lightsaber would be able to cut him.

P.S He can die ya, but he can come back :p

A lightsaber wouldn't do anything to him unless maybe it had a kryptonite crystal or something.. which I'm not even sure would work.

If it could he would still have to hit him with it. Which is unlikely.

Actually it has been historically proven that numerous things of Alien Origin (including the Lantern Rings) have devastating effect on Superman. This has in some cases included directed Plasma Beams which is basically all a Lightsaber (aka Plasma Sword) happens to be. So really, Superman would be at least wounded by a lightsaber, even if it doesn't kill him right from the get go, it would still be possible to use a lightsaber to maul him to death in the same way that a morning star is used to maul just about anyone to death. The trick in this is that Luke has to actually be able to hit him in the first place. Which is made easier by using the Force to pin Supes down under a crushing weight that not even Superman's strength can overcome.

Keep in mind the Force is an energy field made up by all living things. If a strong enough force user comes along, they can harness the full strength of the cosmos against Superman, and that means that it would be like Superman, fighting every living being in the universe, including a few Gods.

A lightsaber takes time to cut through metal. It would not be able to cut Superman.

No, a lightsaber takes time to cut through heavily reinforced Blast Doors. The same type of doors that are designed to protect fallout shelters from Nuclear Bombs and other devastating weaponry. Yet a lightsaber is still capable of cutting through such doors. It should be noted that in the Star Wars universe these same doors likely often have an added component of ray shielding between the door seals, which would prevent blaster fire from getting through if the doors were compromised, but doesn't do squat against the sustained energy of a lightsaber.

Superman would have just as much trouble breaking a Star Wars universes blast doors as a lightsaber has in cuttting them down, especially depending on the metals that are involved in making these kinds of doors. That said, a lightsaber can cut through an every day metal wall in a matter of seconds, as is often seen in Star Wars the Clone Wars where the lightsabers of Jedi cut through Tanks, Starship walls, and a crap ton of metal Droids. Heck Ashoka has even taken it a step further and used her lightsaber in close quarters to cut the head off of one of those Ray Shielded Battledroids that Qui Gon and Obi Wan couldn't handle in the Phantom Menace, while its shield was up! And she did it while seriously infected with a deadly plague!

So I like to think that a Lightsaber might have a moderate effect on Superman considering all that they can do in Star Wars.

Oh, and the reason it takes so long to cut through blast doors, is because of both the density of the metal used, and the thickness of the doors. You notice Qui Gon had to actually sink his lightsaber deeper into the door when the trade federation actually activated their blast doors in the Phantom Menace just so he could still find purchase enough to cut through it.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Actually it has been historically proven that numerous things of Alien Origin (including the Lantern Rings) have devastating effect on Superman. This has in some cases included directed Plasma Beams which is basically all a Lightsaber (aka Plasma Sword) happens to be. So really, Superman would be at least wounded by a lightsaber, even if it doesn't kill him right from the get go, it would still be possible to use a lightsaber to maul him to death in the same way that a morning star is used to maul just about anyone to death. The trick in this is that Luke has to actually be able to hit him in the first place. Which is made easier by using the Force to pin Supes down under a crushing weight that not even Superman's strength can overcome.

Keep in mind the Force is an energy field made up by all living things. If a strong enough force user comes along, they can harness the full strength of the cosmos against Superman, and that means that it would be like Superman, fighting every living being in the universe, including a few Gods.

No, a lightsaber takes time to cut through heavily reinforced Blast Doors. The same type of doors that are designed to protect fallout shelters from Nuclear Bombs and other devastating weaponry. Yet a lightsaber is still capable of cutting through such doors. It should be noted that in the Star Wars universe these same doors likely often have an added component of ray shielding between the door seals, which would prevent blaster fire from getting through if the doors were compromised, but doesn't do squat against the sustained energy of a lightsaber.

Superman would have just as much trouble breaking a Star Wars universes blast doors as a lightsaber has in cuttting them down, especially depending on the metals that are involved in making these kinds of doors. That said, a lightsaber can cut through an every day metal wall in a matter of seconds, as is often seen in Star Wars the Clone Wars where the lightsabers of Jedi cut through Tanks, Starship walls, and a crap ton of metal Droids. Heck Ashoka has even taken it a step further and used her lightsaber in close quarters to cut the head off of one of those Ray Shielded Battledroids that Qui Gon and Obi Wan couldn't handle in the Phantom Menace, while its shield was up! And she did it while seriously infected with a deadly plague!

So I like to think that a Lightsaber might have a moderate effect on Superman considering all that they can do in Star Wars.

Oh, and the reason it takes so long to cut through blast doors, is because of both the density of the metal used, and the thickness of the doors. You notice Qui Gon had to actually sink his lightsaber deeper into the door when the trade federation actually activated their blast doors in the Phantom Menace just so he could still find purchase enough to cut through it.

First of all great ideas... enjoyed reading this... But one counter point is that Luke (I don't believe) reached the level of force sensitivity that you described. He was one of the most powerful force wielders but I don't think he could harness enough of it to bring the essence of the entire universe to bare on Superman. I stopped reading the books after the Jedi academy series so people would have to correct me if I'm wrong. I would think Luke became significantly more powerful than Yoda but not as powerful as you describe.

First of all great ideas... enjoyed reading this... But one counter point is that Luke (I don't believe) reached the level of force sensitivity that you described. He was one of the most powerful force wielders but I don't think he could harness enough of it to bring the essence of the entire universe to bare on Superman. I stopped reading the books after the Jedi academy series so people would have to correct me if I'm wrong. I would think Luke became significantly more powerful than Yoda but not as powerful as you describe.

Still, he was able to defeat a Celestial, who were in fact that powerful from what I have heard described of them. That said, the majority of the debaters here insist on using the Luke from the end of the original trilogy... which is an unfortunate thing, because that Luke was not even a match for the original Emperor Palpatine (his father had to kill the Emperor for him), so I doubt that the Luke from that time period would be much of a challenge for Superman at all. If however we were to use Luke from the pinnacle of his power, then yes, that Luke would be a challenge for Superman (in any of his incarnations except possibly End Game Superman).

Also, I am currently watching Cartoon Network's Young Justice series... and I have to say that CaptaIn Marvel has probably the best kept secret Identity in that series... seeing as how Batman assigned him to watch over the team of young super heroes who are each at least 5 years older than he is...

Edited by XantosCledwin

Luke did become more powerful then Yoda far more powerful, he became the most powerful jedi ever.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Luke did become more powerful then Yoda far more powerful, he became the most powerful jedi ever.

Key word in that statement "Jedi"... there are other Force Users in the Star Wars Galaxy other than the Jedi. And the Jedi don't span all the way back to the discovery of the Force by the first Force Sensitives. So we cannot possibly quantify Luke as the "Most Powerful Force User EVER" because we quite honestly don't know enough about the pre-history of the Star Wars universe to make that judgement.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Key word in that statement "Jedi"... there are other Force Users in the Star Wars Galaxy other than the Jedi. And the Jedi don't span all the way back to the discovery of the Force by the first Force Sensitives. So we cannot possibly quantify Luke as the "Most Powerful Force User EVER" because we quite honestly don't know enough about the pre-history of the Star Wars universe to make that judgement.

Did I say most powerful Force User? No, I said most powerful Jedi. But in general Force Users, he should be(along with Sidious) high up there in the list.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Also, I am currently watching Cartoon Network's Young Justice series... and I have to say that CaptaIn Marvel has probably the best kept secret Identity in that series... seeing as how Batman assigned him to watch over the team of young super heroes who are each at least 5 years older than he is...

Keep watching... things change. That's the first season...

Like I said I stopped reading so I only know Luke soon after the Thrawn novels. Powerful Jedi Master but not an all powerful force wielder. I'll have to read the summaries at some point. So if your saying Luke approached the same level as say Dr. Fate in the DC universe.(Closest thing I can think of from DCU) Than yeah I guess superman would be in trouble.

That's because this is the EU version of Superman

http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Prime_One_millon

Honestly, you're better off comparing movies. I mean if Gene Hackman and his real estate schemes can be a threat, why not Luke?

Okay, if we are going to use the version of Superman that had been sitting inside of a Yellow Sun for from what I have heard, 1,000+ years or whatever it is... (i.e. End Game Superman), then we might as well use End Game Luke Skywalker as well, and say that Luke Skywalker is allowed to bring along the entire New Jedi Order with him in his efforts to combat Superman.

If we give that concession to Luke, that would mean that at the very least, Luke Skywalker (and by proxy all the Jedi) have the same speed (at least in an atmosphere), reaction time, and combat reflexes as Superman. Additionally, they also would have the added benefit of a virtual Hive Mind effect.

Now I don't know if the concept of a hive mind is understood completely by most Star Wars fans, but we are talking the ability to see what the other Jedi see, to hear what the other Jedi hear, to feel what the other Jedi feel. Now because they are Jedi, this hive mind includes their force precognition and clairvoyance. What this means, is they would in effect be able to not only sense Superman's attacks coming, but see them coming as well, not to mention react to them before he connects.

Additionally, according to that Wiki page, Magic affects that particular Superman. That article even makes a point as to say that if Harry Potter had enough time to shout the killing curse (doesn't mention that one by name but the point stands) he could kill Superman due to that curse being completely unblockable by any known means save for a mother's love and self-sacrifice for her child. This means that Superman's nigh invulnerability is not immune to magic.

The Force as defined by Obi Wan Kenobi and later Yoda is "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together." Such an energy field has been described by Religions on the Planet Earth for centuries. This includes the unifying Brahman Energy of Hinduism, the conflict between good and evil in Zoroastrianism (and most other Monotheistic Religions), and most notably, the concept of Mana as described by indigenous Pacific Islanders. Mana of course has often been used to describe "The stuff from which magic is formed" and is often a term which is used in fantasy (most notably Magic the Gathering) to refer to the resource that powers Magic. In essence the very concept of the Force is derived from a variety of sources that all can be described in laymens terms as "Magic" So in reality the Force itself is Magic. Defining it as anything else is foolish. In fact according to what I have heard, George Lucas later retracted his attempt to justify the Force in the realm of Science via the introduction of Midichlorians, admitting that it was a foolish mistake on his part.

If we admit that the Force is in fact a form of Magic, that opens multiple angles of attack that Luke Skywalker, the other New Order Jedi, and any remaining Sith that cared to join the fight, could use against Superman, and have be effective. For example, Force Drain would be the most obvious route to success (though in the case of End Game Superman, that might take quite a while, even with the entire New Jedi Order using it). And don't go arguing that Force Drain is a dark side ability. The abilities of the Force are neither light or dark side, it is rather a matter of one's own motivation for using these abilities that determines the nature of the ability. The Force in and of itself is neither light nor dark, it is just an energy field. It's just that certain emotions have a negative effect on the user when coupled with the Force. Notice that Palpatine didn't age artificially until after he used Force Lightning, and probably Force Drain simultaneously in anger at Mace Windu (it was likely the rebound of Force Drain that actually aged him, not the Force Lightning).

Superman. If it came down to it no holding back....Superman would decimate Luke Skywalker. When most people see Superman he's holding back because he doesn't want to really cause collateral damage or murder anyone. It's only when he's fighting people like Darkseid, when he knows the person can take the hits and he REALLY doesn't like them is when he lets loose. Luke would be red paste in less than a few minutes. Don't get me wrong, Luke is a Bad MOFO, but Superman would destroy Luke.

Plus I asume in this hypothetical fight Supes isn't holding back and is not up for discussion because I'm sure if the two ever met a fight wouldn't have broken out.