Sorc VS Mara/Sentinel

Ian_Planeswalker

run. or go 31 madness and try your luck. creeping terror is awesome.

i'm currently using a pure madness tree, but still no use, sometimes i'm able to get them as low as 10% then they use the skill that reduces damage, by the time their skill expires i'm already dead

i'm currently using a pure madness tree, but still no use, sometimes i'm able to get them as low as 10% then they use the skill that reduces damage, by the time their skill expires i'm already dead

Equally skilled/geared without LoS issue a marauder will eat the sorc for lunch anytime even worse if the fight started with marauder with SOME resolve already and/or the sorcs overload/speed is on CD.

For a sorc to beat a good Anni marauder you have to use the environment to your advantage with some luck. Hutball is the best map for sorcs vs them melees with crazy dps if they connect you. Civil War you use the steps on the side turrets or the polls and catwalks on the center. Voidstar, lol stick with your friends and get guarded.

Even if you have the ability and knowlegde to do a perfect kite, it will still depends on if the marauder knows what to do.

e.g engage a sorc without using force charge to anticipate the knock back/force slow, force camo to reset the fight if get caught in kite which also buys you time for the next force charge, SoPain to take advantage of the 20% more mitigation and since all kiting related abilities sorcs have deals damage which will refresh SoP, last but not least undying rage with white resolve means theres very little the sorc can do to stop you. They better hope their sucking terror is off CD (if 31 madness) because at this point none of the CC sorcs have would stop the maraudie.

If connected the marauder will outburst the sorc and should take no more than a couple GCD to kill the sorc.

Marauders/Sent/Pyrotech PT is never an easy fight for a sorc, well assuming the opponent have the basic knowledge about their class ofc.

Edited by Sireene
use of retarded

Assuming the Marauder doesn't have brain damage and has cooldowns up, you have two options:

A) Try to fight him.

B) Go afk and make a snack.

I recommend B. The end result is the same, but it's less frustrating and at least you get noms out of it. :)

1) Go hybrid

2) Don't use affliction

3) As soon as they pop cloak of pain kite for 6 seconds to let it drop off (if you have affliction on them you lose)

4) Whirlwind undying rage (if you have affliction on them you lose)

5) Use overload roots well, never break them early, use the time off of you to heal. (if you have affliction on them you lose)

6) Wait to use death field until you get your first wrath proc, reck + adrenal + relic chain light, death field, shock, win.

There is a lot of kiting and shocking in there of course, use your electrocute to force a trinket before they undying rage so you get a full whirlwind. If they don't trinket electrocute you should win anyway.

Against very good marauders you can still lose, but you should win more often than you lose if you play it right. You have to manage their resolve very well though, if they are full resolve when they undying rage you are going to lose.

Hmmm... these threads always give me pause.

I was trying to remember the last time I went 1v1 with a Sent/Mara. In fact, I was trying to remember the last time I went 1v1 against anyone.

I play 99.9999% wz PvP (little to zero open world PvP on my server) and I don't run about alone, even in a PUG, as by so doing I'm weakening my team.

Hmmm... these threads always give me pause.

I was trying to remember the last time I went 1v1 with a Sent/Mara. In fact, I was trying to remember the last time I went 1v1 against anyone.

I play 99.9999% wz PvP (little to zero open world PvP on my server) and I don't run about alone, even in a PUG, as by so doing I'm weakening my team.

Smart sorc you will fit right in with 1.2 where sorcs are even more support centric than ever.

Oh and make sure you spread all your dots (read: affliction) to their entire raid too, those super high pressure damage of 2000 over 18 second might make you top the scoreboard too... if there's no competent marauders/sentinels/guardians/juggernauts/mercs/commandos/PTs/vanguards/shadows/assassins/snipers/gunslingers/operatives/scoundrels present in that WZ.

In a true 1v1 situation you're prolly ****ed.

Dueling u can perhaps manage if u got a LoS 'item' nearby. Try kiting and taking him down ever so slowly.

However in pvp (in the case of a 1v1) this is alot more tougher. But then the trick is to last till help arrives (for either one) or just run away and hope he gets tired :D

Smart sorc you will fit right in with 1.2 where sorcs are even more support centric than ever.

Oh and make sure you spread all your dots (read: affliction) to their entire raid too, those super high pressure damage of 2000 over 18 second might make you top the scoreboard too... if there's no competent marauders/sentinels/guardians/juggernauts/mercs/commandos/PTs/vanguards/shadows/assassins/snipers/gunslingers/operatives/scoundrels present in that WZ.

Haha... I see what you did thar!

Give me some credit though: I use Affliction in certain specific circumstances since having Affi' up basically negates my own (everyone elses) CC and I can't escape...

:p

I am assuming high level of skill, super PC and solid Internet here in best gear:

Defensive:

Enduring Pain: 60 sec CD

Saber Ward: 180 sec CD

Undying Rage: 90 sec CD

Force Camo: 45 sec CD

Offensive:

Frenzy: 180 sec CD

----

It is very hard for the lowest PvP DPS/Burst AC to counter all of that especially when they are speced into healing self with DoT.

The Marauder will play with you for a while until his Resolve bar is full at which point he will have 30 Fury then use Berserk+Deadly Saber and have the 4 DoT crit for 100% and each crit heal for x%!

You can win when:

Most of the CDs above are on CD!

Sorcerer in PvP need to play like cowards, use CC and RUN!

Unless....

Of course....

1.2 comes....

....and Marauder plays Carnage!

3 Roots off Resolve (Ravage now roots with Carnage..3 sec of free burst on light armor)

3 Stun -choke, charge and AE CC

Force Charge

Force Camo

xx% Run Speed buff

Rage Free Interrupt

Ravage can not be interrupted

---

BW developers GRTZ on doing what Trion did, OP a class so much you lose half of your customers!

Edited by Cempa

any suggestions how to beat them 1vs1? I'm really having a hard time with them and kiting is no use since they can just jump at you, they also have a skill that cancels stun and any movement effects... so yeah all suggestions are needed :D

Having a 50 marauder (val 64) and sentinel (val 56) I can tell you that 1 on 1 a sorc/sage will almost never win if the fight starts with equal health and gear isnt really lopsided. To be honest, sent/mara 1 on 1 from start to finish will beat almost any class if fight starts with equal health and gear is not ridiculously lopsided. The only spec really played right now is based on DoTs (bleed and burn which are internal damage). The DoTs heal if they crit, and when secondary utility builds up 30 stacks they can pop a skill to guarantee 100% crit on DoTs plus an extra 1% healing per tick.

Your best chance of winning is playing LoS games while kiting to stop charge (obviously hutball is easiest). I have played a few really good sorc/sages that can slow me, root me, CC me enough to keep resolve down while using LoS in between instant casts and CC coming back up. Anytime they are in the open and I can charge in, a CC is usually of CD (usually knock back with root). Equally, I usually just run away when this happens since I know better, now.

The classes that stand a chance 1 on 1 are operative/scoundrel if they get the jump, gunslinger/sniper since you cant use charge on a player in cover and they have a huge knock back that roots and then slows. Finally, Shadow/Assassin, jugg/guard tank hybrid specs in PvP DPS gear can win if they are good.

Your best defense it to try and avoid 1 on 1 situations. Hard if you're solo defending a node or door, but you can kite while screaming for help. Most smart and good players know 1 on 1 means crap. Even if you have the upper-hand (rock meet scissors...) it is still often best to find help, run to help, or yell for help if possible; after all, if you can yell for help 1 on 1, so can they.

1) Go hybrid

2) Don't use affliction

3) As soon as they pop cloak of pain kite for 6 seconds to let it drop off (if you have affliction on them you lose)

4) Whirlwind undying rage (if you have affliction on them you lose)

5) Use overload roots well, never break them early, use the time off of you to heal. (if you have affliction on them you lose)

6) Wait to use death field until you get your first wrath proc, reck + adrenal + relic chain light, death field, shock, win.

There is a lot of kiting and shocking in there of course, use your electrocute to force a trinket before they undying rage so you get a full whirlwind. If they don't trinket electrocute you should win anyway.

Against very good marauders you can still lose, but you should win more often than you lose if you play it right. You have to manage their resolve very well though, if they are full resolve when they undying rage you are going to lose.

Sorry i am kind of new to this, but why would you not use Affliction? Is't it just free damage?

Sorry i am kind of new to this, but why would you not use Affliction? Is't it just free damage?

cloak of pain's duration extends when they take damage.

and you don't want your breakable CCs to end early because of your dot.

cloak of pain's duration extends when they take damage.

and you don't want your breakable CCs to end early because of your dot.

Which is ironic- because the only way to beat someone as a sorc is to not use dots... and the only viable spec is one where all the damage is from dots.

Good job BW on having no clue how to create a dots class.

I'm assuming you are either hybrid or full madness. Your number one priority is going to be to keep your shield up every time you can. Save your sprint for when they charge to you, i usually wait for the charge snare to wear off and then force slow and sprint away. Keep affliction up and spam force lightning. If you get a wrath proc, recklessness + trinket into a chain lightning and death field will provide good burst and a little healing. use your stuns wisely, maybe to interrupt their master strike or to get away if they jump when sprint is on cd. i like to use whirlwind as my first stun, and if they are stupid enough to break it throw electrocute on them.

if they go invisible, take the opportunity to try to get in a dark infusion, if they jump you before you get it off, use that opportunity to get off a snare and create some distance. the obvious things are death field whenever its up, keep affliction up, use wrath for crushing darkness if you are on the move. and if you are full madness, use creeping terror to escape if their resolve is full and you can't stun. if they force choke you and you feel like you are in trouble, break it as they never see it coming. my favorite trick is to let affliction fall off before i feel like they are going to force choke, break force choke and instant whirlwhind and get off a couple of heals while they are cc'ed, then continue to open up. you have just as many tools of escape and healing as they do to close gaps, so kite kite kite and use your defensive spells as often as possible. my only trouble with marauders on long fights tends to be running out of force, but you should be fine if you spam chain lightning.

Assuming the Marauder doesn't have brain damage and has cooldowns up, you have two options:

A) Try to fight him.

B) Go afk and make a snack.

I recommend B. The end result is the same, but it's less frustrating and at least you get noms out of it. :)

After 1.2 I would suggest the option B considering the fact that Sorcs will lose their burst while Maras are actually getting a buff.

There's just no way to beat a skilled Mara then as a Sorc if you're not lucky enough. For example if the Mara times his leaps and interrupts well while also using all the other tools available, a Sorc is just breakfast for them. Pre 1.2 you at least have a fair chance because you have burst, which hurts Maras but losing the burst is a big loss for Sorcs.

Edited by PalawaJoko

I'm assuming you are either hybrid or full madness. Your number one priority is going to be to keep your shield up every time you can. Save your sprint for when they charge to you, i usually wait for the charge snare to wear off and then force slow and sprint away. Keep affliction up and spam force lightning. If you get a wrath proc, recklessness + trinket into a chain lightning and death field will provide good burst and a little healing. use your stuns wisely, maybe to interrupt their master strike or to get away if they jump when sprint is on cd. i like to use whirlwind as my first stun, and if they are stupid enough to break it throw electrocute on them.

if they go invisible, take the opportunity to try to get in a dark infusion, if they jump you before you get it off, use that opportunity to get off a snare and create some distance. the obvious things are death field whenever its up, keep affliction up, use wrath for crushing darkness if you are on the move. and if you are full madness, use creeping terror to escape if their resolve is full and you can't stun. if they force choke you and you feel like you are in trouble, break it as they never see it coming. my favorite trick is to let affliction fall off before i feel like they are going to force choke, break force choke and instant whirlwhind and get off a couple of heals while they are cc'ed, then continue to open up. you have just as many tools of escape and healing as they do to close gaps, so kite kite kite and use your defensive spells as often as possible. my only trouble with marauders on long fights tends to be running out of force, but you should be fine if you spam chain lightning.

Look up for the holy wall of text...

Mix it with the normal/chaotic/group gameplay (aka Warzones)...

yeaaaa

Edited by warultima

I'm using a full madness and I can say that I've tried all possible ways to slow down a mara/senti, whirlwind, slow, electrocute, everything... I even had an encounter with a marauder in huttball who won't stop chasing me around, we went round the whole arena about 5 times till i died.

Its too hard to get away and all it will take them is just 1 jump then your good as dead

not gonna lie....if you playing against smart maras/sents, your gonna lose

as stated earlier your best advantage is your environment. in huttball, i always get immediately focused by maras/sents bc i heal....you have to LOS as much as possible....i usually overload them off a platform...LOS so they can't charge......if anything i annoy them more than anything

in civil war, use the turret on the sides to LOS...works quite well

if your guarded.....even better...but this is a 1v1

Edited by chazzbrochill
misspelling

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.