Sorc VS Mara/Sentinel

Ian_Planeswalker

in my opinion having levelled a sentinel to 50 and now levelling an inquisitor, do not fight them.

marauders/sentinels are the ultimate 1on1 combatants, the only class that can have them off really is operative.

sentinels suck in group combat if they dont know what theyre doing, but in 1on1 youll get sliced up everytime. run to your buddys and hope they distract him!

I'm using a full madness and I can say that I've tried all possible ways to slow down a mara/senti, whirlwind, slow, electrocute, everything... I even had an encounter with a marauder in huttball who won't stop chasing me around, we went round the whole arena about 5 times till i died.

Its too hard to get away and all it will take them is just 1 jump then your good as dead

Wrong spec, unless you have all the defensive abilities in Lightning just forget it.

You best defense is making them NOT WANT TO CHASE YOU. You do that with a hybrid build and just chain CC them and RUN!

If you know how to play the class you will be 30m away regardless of what he does.

After 1.2 if the Mara is Carnage it will be harder because in a WZ if ANYBODY touches him and breaks you CC YOU are dead.

Your job is not to go 1v1 vs a Mara. You will lose. Sorc shine when they stick to a support role on the edge of battle: apply dots, damage and cc while melees and tanks go personal. Sorc are a good asset to a team but not designed for duels.

i just tried 23/18 hybrid with my sorc, using wrath proc for LS then LS proc to CL,

I've tried it in WZ and so far im doing 50% win percentage with Maras, you just have to use all your cc and try to keep track of the skills he is using, and I always make sure that I am the one to hit the enemy first.

Rotation is slow then FL until proc then shock, LS, (CL), Death Field, if the Mara got close Overload, back up a bit, usually he will use his CC break in which turn I use WW or Stun then either heal or back up a bit then repeat till he dies, currently it works 50% of the time, if the Mara used his skill for damage reduction I just sprint away till it wears off. If they use Force Camo ill sprint and then hide lol :D

in a standard/fair duel Marauders and Sentinels aren't much of a threat as long as you know how to kite them. it's mainly about using your CC's, Force Speed and Overload at the right times.

with Recklessness you get a huge burst when using it on DF then Shock, you have three different controls (Creeping Terror, Electrocute and Whirlwind), and the dots will take care of the rest.

with its 9s cooldown, Creeping Terror is absolutely key, you must use it as soon as it's available. and don't forget Force Slow.

(and always have Force Speed up for the end of the fight because you will have to kite the little ***** for the duration of the god mode)

Edited by klwn

any suggestions how to beat them 1vs1? I'm really having a hard time with them and kiting is no use since they can just jump at you, they also have a skill that cancels stun and any movement effects... so yeah all suggestions are needed :D

Hope you can run faster than they can and DOT them to death. You can kill them in a 2vs1 team, even possibly a 2v2 team, but they really are that tough on 1v1. (I play the 2lightsaber nut as main btw). If they can get to you, you will lose unless they are severely under-geared. Now, I have been beaten before by one guy who was equally geared. I haven't died to another one 1v1 fight against a sorcerer that was equally geared that I know of. The most effective technique I've had used against me is: (hope you can) sneak up and dot them - stun if you can when they get close - hit them with lightning - knock back when stun wears off - force speed out of there - do a quick heal if you can get out of los so they can't jump at you - hit your shield for when they get close again - refresh dots - try and keep running around objects. Other useful tips are: stay up high so you can knock them back down (they have 0 knock-backs so they can't take you down), don't use AOE attacks, and always use a weaker channeled ability or heal first off - if they interrupt it you can then use a more powerful one that they will have more trouble interrupting. They'll be forced to use one of their two stuns (choke or the other one that breaks on damage) to interrupt your more powerful ability.

in my opinion having levelled a sentinel to 50 and now levelling an inquisitor, do not fight them.

marauders/sentinels are the ultimate 1on1 combatants, the only class that can have them off really is operative.

sentinels suck in group combat if they dont know what theyre doing, but in 1on1 youll get sliced up everytime. run to your buddys and hope they distract him!

That is my impression of the class as well - no other class is that strong 1v1. However, as you said about operatives, I, for that reason, *hate* operatives lol. Snipers are pains to take out too.

In an effort to be useful: watch their buffs, keep them slowed and keep your distance as much as possible (force charge and obliterate... :-/).

Don't be discouraged by the posts here - there are so many variables in PvP and few will be the occasions when all the cards are stacked against you and your utterly lost.

There is always hope!

Tip #1 is really a tip on how to avoid 1v1 with a Sent/Mara. If you're in a group fight before the 1v1 initiates, do not spam Force Lightning on a Sent/Mara. It annoys us to no end, and reliably draws my attention. I prioritize going after objectives, healers, and tracer missile spammers, but by the time I'm getting hit with that third Force Lightning, all other priorities have typically been replaced by "kill that sorc now!" - and even if I die that round, I'll be keeping an eye out for you. Basically, I've got more important fish to fry, so don't make yourself a target.

Tip #2: There are still a lot of bad Sent/Maras. They will charge you, and then look confused when you knock them back and slow them while running in the other direction. I'm actually surprised at how often that works for me on my healer sage. On the other hand, there are some good Sent/Maras too. Make sure you don't knockback unless you're sure you saw a charge. Keep in mind that Focus/Rage has a second leap, don't be fooled by that one. I greatly enjoy baiting a knockback after using the that, and then just jumping back in with the real charge and finishing the fight.

And finally, just going to repeat what I already saw here. Be annoying to chase down, and we might give up. It's not worth spending a ton of time chasing you. Middle tree is the annoying one for me - stunned every time I pop your shield, and half the time I don't even see it coming because the shield goes up and I melt it at the same time. Knockback root has me sitting still for a long time. Use that twice and I'll be rethinking chasing you. Even if it's a forced 1v1 defending a point, I consider chasing you around forever for the kill a loss. You should have backup by the time I do get around to killing you, and I won't really want to try taking the point away from you again solo.