Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Gut + Incendiary round build? (PvP)

JoeRetro

Hi all,

Has anyone played around with Vanguard specs utilizing Gut from tactics + Indendiary Round from assault? This is strictly for PvP purposes.

TLDR

I'm of course going to try it out myself and see what works for me. Just curious if anyone else has had similar thoughts and used a similar build.

I haven't seen much (any) info on this so I realize it's probably not optinal min maxing or cookie cutter. However for my own playstyle it looks like it has some promise. Currently level 25 so it will take some time to get the key skills.

Right now half way up the assault tree I'm doing pretty good damage in WZ's. Especially when I'm not forced into close ranged 1v1 combat. For when it does get to close ranged, the added DoT from Gut and some of the other goodies in the tactics tree look tempting. Mainly reduced cooldown on interupt, %90 armor ignore on HIB, boosted crit, boosted ion pulse dmg, reduced cooldown on harpoon.

This is what the base spec would look like. Could go farther in tactics or assault from here.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801ZMsMroZfhMrz.1

i've used a spec with both, its terrible. it looked really good on paper and in my head but in practice i wasted tons of ammo for very little benefit.

Thanks for the quick response. So going higher in either tree you found better for ammo vs dmg/utility return? Do you have a few examples of what you found better about full tactics or full assault rather than combining the two?

Currrntly I'm half way through the assault tree. Looking at what comes higher in the tree... it looks pretty good, but so do some of the reachable skills in tactics I guess.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I was thinking along the lines of this (at 50).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801ZMsMroZfhMrzGhMc.1

Almost a full assault build but with these changes

31 assault talent traded for gut

2 other assault talents traded for reduced interupt cooldown

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I was thinking along the lines of this (at 50).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801ZMsMroZfhMrzGhMc.1

Almost a full assault build but with these changes

2 other assault talents traded for reduced interupt cooldown

assault is a med-long range tree, gut is going to force you into melee a lot more often for you to justify the points spent to get it.

burst from AP (31 assault) > gut

personally i dont think gut is worth taking if you want to go assault. for a tactics or shield spec build i think you need it.

really tho, the best way to find out if its worth it is to play with it for a couple of days. dont get it, lose 1 wz and switch. you need to see all sides with it before you determine what your next move is going to be.

That is an increadibly bad trade off tbh. Gut isn't that great to start with and it really doesn't help an Assault build at all. With the little survivability and mobility you have you rely on bursting down opponents and you'll want to be in melee range as little as possible. Going into the the thick of battle to apply Gut will only get you perma snared and subsequently killed, more often than not before you even get to the target. Don't use builds heavily utilizing melee attacks without either Storm or Hold the Line.

The shorter cd on interrupt is really useful otoh, but if you're looking for a caster harrassment build in Plasma Cell something like the 0/23/18 is the better choice. You'll lose some burst but gain an option to actually get to your target or disengage if necessary in Hold the Line.

Personally I think Gut and the 3+1 talent points "improving" it are the main reason the middle of the Tactics tree is so terrible. It really does look a lot better on paper than it plays out in game.

i ran tac/assult for a bit. it worked well for me. running hi energy cell (boosts gut and inc round) but stay away from high friction bolt. does not refresh your ammo when you bolt a burning target.

i ditched the spec because melee in this game feels like work to me, and if you aren't gutting ppl you aren't making the spec work for you.

100% valid spec imo, but melee in this game isn't for me.

i ran tac/assult for a bit. it worked well for me. running hi energy cell (boosts gut and inc round) but stay away from high friction bolt. does not refresh your ammo when you bolt a burning target.

i ditched the spec because melee in this game feels like work to me, and if you aren't gutting ppl you aren't making the spec work for you.

100% valid spec imo, but melee in this game isn't for me.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Overall the burst from AP looks better than gut in a direct comparison. My thought process for taking gut over AP was a little different.

I wouldn't take gut to actively put myself into melee situations to use. More so as a situational tool to use IF i ended up in a melee situation. Then I could use gut to stack a dot on IR, and still have sticky gren (shares the cooldown with AP).

Maybe that's still a bad tradeoff. I like the assault build and was trying to think of a way to help it out when it does come to melee fights. Perhaps the 23/18 build accomplishes this better. I'll try that one out as well. Thanks everyone for the information!

Full assault or full tactics is much better. Firepulse and Assault plastique are both much better abilities than gut or incendiary round and 30% increased crit damage on ion pulse/SS/firepulse is key to how hard tactics can hit. Assault plastique is a key part of the burst that assault provides. I wouldn't run assault without it.

The Carolina Parakeet build is the best hybrid with HiB shennanigans but it is going away in 1.2 so I reccomend you stay away from it and learn how to play Iron First or full tactics or full assault.

I would probably go with Ragok Oozo's build (However you spell it), getting Ionic Accelerator, and goin far for Hold the Line (Because it's sexy in huttball), and combat tactics.

Basically you'd go like this:

Spam Ion Pulse to grab a free stockstrike, use that and gut to make your next HiB crit (In 1.2, it's changed to I think gut ticks to trigger it. so get the target gutted asap), use HiB, and hope combat tactics procs again by the time your waiting 6 seconds.

I imagine you're going to run this in Plasma cell... Note that Kolto Recharge is being changed to Hamstring in 1.2, which makes the first 6 seconds of gut lower movement speed of target by 30%, so that's a nice addition for kiting if you have to get close to go stockstrike and start a gut.

I would go for this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801ZrsMrobckzZfhMrzh.1

I think there is a lot of potential in a Gut + Assault Specc, due mostly from the fact that while you lost a bit of front burst, you gain a lot of a sustained DPS. In 1.2 with Shockstrike being Free and having an internal cooldown on Ionic Accelerator, I believe that Gut will be a great addition to the rotation.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZMsr0oZfGMbdhhMc.1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.