Mumble Vs Vent

davhut

I am curious how many guilds are using mumble instead of vent. Our guild has been using mumble since launch and love it compared to vent. We have used vent a couple times when our mumble server was down (loss of internet at the home of guildy that hosts it) and the quality of vent is poor in comparison.

If you have not tried mumble I highly suggest it. You can also host your own server for free for up to 100 users. We run ours on an old P4 machine and it works great.

Anyways just wanting to see how many others are using it and see what you all think that are.

I am curious how many guilds are using mumble instead of vent. Our guild has been using mumble since launch and love it compared to vent. We have used vent a couple times when our mumble server was down (loss of internet at the home of guildy that hosts it) and the quality of vent is poor in comparison.

If you have not tried mumble I highly suggest it. You can also host your own server for free for up to 100 users. We run ours on an old P4 machine and it works great.

Anyways just wanting to see how many others are using it and see what you all think that are.

Most WoW players still use vent. Mumble is the better variant. Most if not all Corps I've played with use Mumble because of its auto-normalization and virtually no lag as well as a beautiful overlay.

Smart people use Mumble.

My guild is trying mumble we have had vent for years, mumble to me still needs allot of work, strange sounds and just weird stuff, the sound quality is good most of the time, but it has a good base to improve upon, but over all mumble has not won me over yet, but it starting to grow on me..

Shouldn't even have to use a third party program, it should be built into the client like EQ2. EQ2's built in VOIP blows vent away. And if it was built into the client they could have auto join channels in warzones and FP's and make PUGs a lot more competitive.

Shouldn't even have to use a third party program, it should be built into the client like EQ2. EQ2's built in VOIP blows vent away. And if it was built into the client they could have auto join channels in warzones and FP's and make PUGs a lot more competitive.

This.

We switched to mumble about a year ago. The biggest reason? Cost period. 30 slots 5.30 a month.

Service unmatched, quality amazing, and everyone's voice is the same level I don't have to go in and turn up or down every new person that logs in. No lag in critical boss fights. Those were the icing on the cake for me.

I completely disagree. I think it is a waste of developer time and our money to spend working on in game voip when there are so may options already available.

And no one ever uses it. Theyre usually horribly anyway.

Just started using Mumble with new guild I joined. Decent program. I like Vent better though, if only for the sound that plays when you push-to-talk. Then again there may be a way to turn one on in Mumble.

We switched to mumble about a year ago. The biggest reason? Cost period. 30 slots 5.30 a month.

Service unmatched, quality amazing, and everyone's voice is the same level I don't have to go in and turn up or down every new person that logs in. No lag in critical boss fights. Those were the icing on the cake for me.

http://www.raidcall.com 50 Slots Free. True VOIP not P2P. Great ingame overlay which works with SWTOR.

I'd be too paranoid Bioware/EA would be listening in/recording conversations etc. Monitoring typed chat is one thing, but actual conversations is another

ventrillo. just because I've never used anything else mainly and never been asked to dl mumble or use it

Edited by Darnu

We are giving away a free 1 year subscription for a 100 slot Mumble server to 3 different SWTOR Guilds. I am a SWTOR player with characters on the Shadow Hand server and got this idea from the Mumble vs Vent thread to do something interesting for the SWTOR community.

How Contest Works:

1. A guild leader (only a guild leader) may register his guild into the contest.

2. Must be a SWTOR Guild

3. Must have registration in before Thursday April 5, 2012 at 7 PM CST (have to give us time to put them all in the hat for the drawing, we arent machines after all :) )

4. Drawing will take place at 8 PM CST and the winners will be announced via the SWTOR Community Forums, at which time servers will be set up and upon verification emails will be sent out to the winning guild leaders via in game email.

5. Winning guilds must allow an character created by myself to join the guild to verify the guild and the leader before server will be awarded to them. (Character can be removed after verification is completed), this is for verification purposed only to prevent cheating.

6. You can register by filling out the form at http://www.mymumblezone.com/swtorcontest.htm (All information is confidential and will be removed upon contest results except that info of the winners.

If you have any questions you can send me a private message here or reply to this thread.

NOTICE: This is not an advertisement nor does Bioware or EA have any role in this contest.

UPDATE: Due to some players being hesitant to give up their email due to concerns over phishing and spam we are removing the Email Address and other fields from the form. Please be sure that your server name, guild name and guild leader name are correct so we may contact the winners in game. Thank you

Edited by ThaNuls

Most WoW players still use vent. Mumble is the better variant. Most if not all Corps I've played with use Mumble because of its auto-normalization and virtually no lag as well as a beautiful overlay.

Smart people use Mumble.

I disagree with that. Dumb people who can't figure out personalized auto gain control in vent use Mumble. Smart people who actually need/want to have full control over their software still stick with Ventrilo's equalization and compression features because they maintain control over the software, not the other way around.

Last I checked, Mumble does not allow you to have control over your auto normalization. You are literally not allowed to shut it off or adjust it if you need to for any reason. Auto normalization, otherwise known as Auto Gain Control or AGC Gateways are not infallible. They still make mistakes and mis-judge a person's voice patterns as being too soft or too loud and will mis-compensate those things.

Lag is a personal issue and has nothing to do with Vent or Mumble as software. Lag will vary depending on whether you house the server application on your own server or pay for remote servers. Lag will also vary based on where your Mumble/Vent server is housed versus where each single person connected to it is housed. Johnny in Chicago will have more or less lag to my Atlanta, Georgia Mumble server than Frank in Florida because Frank has a slower internet connection and in in the middle of a rain storm and the connection nodes between his house and my server might be geographically closer, but has higher latency and ping because the cable companies there don't maintain their lines as nicely as Johnny's do.

So... um.... I dunno. I think a blanket comment that Mumble users are smarter then following that up with a very generic and totally unsubstantiated claim that lag is controlled by the client software and ignoring all the other things that cause lag in a VOIP is kinda... not making your point for you.

Mumble is leaps and bounds above Ventrilo.

-higher quality, smooth sound

-auto-volume equalizer

-more user-friendly, more options

-customizable overlay

..to name a few

Servers are about half the price of Vent as well.

The only drawback to mumble is that there is a higher chance for you to echo your speakers if you use a stand mic over vent.