Another Patch???

SilekNation

Is it really neccesary to patch every few days? Why can't I play when it fits into my schedule. Why is it everytime I have a little time to spare I'm working around what works best for some developer?

Can we please just get it right one and not need some 6 hour downtime for a generic, 'server stability' patch?

You had years to work out those bugs. Why am I paying to play your Beta?

First of all, no matter how much testing a software company does, users of the software will always find bugs and exploits that the developers did not see coming. So, they have to continually fix what's been found to be broken. If this were not the case then ALL software would be perfect of the box and no software ever is.

Second, Programming is like putting together a "shattered" Rubik's Cube. You manage to fit several pieces into place but at some point that next piece will make one or more pieces you've already put in place to fall out of place. Eventually working very carefully you can put the Rubik's cube back together again. Now imagine a Rubik's cube with 21 million parts instead of just 21. The point is that when you fix one thing you run the risk of breaking something else.

With both of these facts in mind, MMO publishers have learned through experience that scheduled maintenance is a necessity, not a luxury. Pre-WoW MMOs did their maintenance on irregular schedules - only performing maintenance and updates when absolutely necessary in order maintain up time. However, this often resulted in large scale downtime when patches and maintenance were done. Imagine, a popular MMO being totally down for three days straight and then basically unplayable for three days after that. That is what EverQuest was like in its heyday.

Blizzard learned from this colossal mistake and started a regimen of regular maintenance, Tuesdays, usually starting in the wee hours of the morning and at worst ending in the late afternoon. The reason this time frame works is because MOST players are at work or school during these hours so the impact on play time is minimal. BioWare continues this philosophy.

I'm sorry that you are one of the minority that are impacted by the downtime but it is necessary to keep the game functional and stable.

You had years to work out those bugs.

First off... WAY wrong form.

Second, no they haven't. Every time they add something new to the game, it will have bugs. It's just that simple, it's as constant as the tide. New code = bugs.

MMO's must have new code added to it or else people stop paying for the game. So that means MMO's constantly add new bugs into the game.

This isn't just an issue with new MMO's, WoW and CoH both which have been around for 7+ years still have bugs and need patches put into place.

Even if they don't put a new patch into place, servers under the kind of stress that MMO's place on them need to be taken down and have maintance run on them from time to time. If this wasn't done sooner or later the whole system would crash, requiring a fair amount of down time, and the very real possiblity of lost data, meaning a restore from backup and people losing things like gear, XP, progress, ect...

The majority of today's downtime was not for the tiny patch. It was for the same maintenance they conduct almost every tuesday.

Maintenance =/= patch. They just applied today's tiny patch at the same time as the maintenance. 2 birds. 1 stone.

Edited by openair

Why can't I play when it fits into my schedule.

"This EUALA does not give you any right to obtain reissues or replacements of the Software at any time. Furthermore, EA is not obliged to supply Software updates, upgrades or expansions, or even to operate or continue support the Game or Software, for an indefinite period. In the event that EA supplies any Software updates, patches, improvements, upgrades or other modifications to the Software, you agree that you will be required to install or patch the Software in the manner decided by EA in its sole discretion so as to continue Game play."

That's why.

Is it really neccesary to patch every few days? Why can't I play when it fits into my schedule. Why is it everytime I have a little time to spare I'm working around what works best for some developer?

Can we please just get it right one and not need some 6 hour downtime for a generic, 'server stability' patch?

You had years to work out those bugs. Why am I paying to play your Beta?

You don't have to play if you don't find it of value you know. Cancel and come back when you feel it's ready.

Edited by Lethality

unfortunately, software development is never perfect. You'll always have to patch things up, especially in a large scale game like this. It is quite frustrating, I know but understand that this is made by a human, not a robot (which would be made by a human too)...

Now, unless you, yourself can code perfectly a million lines of code without any error on first attempt, (factor, deadlines, stress, stupid management, bad project managers and etc) - you should calm down a bit.

unfortunately, software development is never perfect. You'll always have to patch things up, especially in a large scale game like this. It is quite frustrating, I know but understand that this is made by a human, not a robot (which would be made by a human too)...

Now, unless you, yourself can code perfectly a million lines of code without any error on first attempt, (factor, deadlines, stress, stupid management, bad project managers and etc) - you should calm down a bit.

Don't forget the double vision incurred from downing a 4 pack of redbull.

Edited by Apocalypsezero

It's a good thing I wasn't trolling. Who knows how many idiots would have jumped in and started flaming. LOL

Oh and psandak, that was actually a helpful and well thought out reply. Thanks.

Edited by SilekNation

Because people just accept it and download the patches, myself included. You are correct in thinking that you shouldn't have to download something that doesn't add any extra content, but really the only other option is to stop using it. At least you don't have to go digging through google to find said patch, that's a plus I guess.