Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why is there no mentor system?

Oddzball

I haven't heard a single note about having a mentor system, where I can get on my 50, go down to starter area, and "Mentor" a new player, dropping my level to be in line with there level.

One of these days we are going to stop rolling alts, and then what the heck is a new character going to do?

I didn't hear anything about this in the Guild Summit, and cant find anything on the forums...

Shouldn't this be like a launch feature? Seems simple enough. If they have a way to bump you up to lvl 49 for pvp why cant they downgrade you for mentoring?

I haven't heard a single note about having a mentor system, where I can get on my 50, go down to starter area, and "Mentor" a new player, dropping my level to be in line with there level.

One of these days we are going to stop rolling alts, and then what the heck is a new character going to do?

I didn't hear anything about this in the Guild Summit, and cant find anything on the forums...

Shouldn't this be like a launch feature? Seems simple enough. If they have a way to bump you up to lvl 49 for pvp why cant they downgrade you for mentoring?

In Suggestion forums:

3 - Can just NOT lower experience when a higher level player joins the game, and allow people to just play together, and help each other grind, like dam near every other MMO that has ever succeeded in the business has done. Players will still have to work to PVP, and gain socials points, since you demand thousands, and tens of thousands of social points to rank up, and give like 2-4 points at a time.

Source.

For some reason no other MMO thought this was a good idea except for EQ2 and I have no idea why.

AAs and Mentor system are amazing. Y u no copy, MMOs?

Pretty sure City of Heros/Villians was the first MMO to do this.

Pretty sure City of Heros/Villians was the first MMO to do this.

Thanks Captain Contradictory. Point was.. it didn't become a staple feature in MMOs. And CoH only beat EQ2 by a few months.

The leveling game is designed to be solo... there's no "help" needed, and of course if you just want to go hang out with them you can do it right now.

In other words, it's unnecessary.

Edited by Lethality

Thanks Captain Contradictory. Point was.. it didn't become a staple feature in MMOs. And CoH only beat EQ2 by a few months.

COH: April 27, 2004

EQ2: November 8, 2004

Nope by one half a year. Plenty of time for $oE to rip it off after COH tested the market for popularity. :rolleyes:

And btw, thats Dr. Exactimundous to you sir since I said nothing contradictory. Contrary maybe but not contradictory! :p:D

The leveling game is designed to be solo... there's no "help" needed, and of course if you just want to go hang out with them you can do it right now.

See that's where you are wrong.

I have my wife playing this game, and frankly she sucks at MMOs. I also have my kids playing. They just need a bit of help or mentoring if you will. But if I group up with them I hurt their EXP gain from mobs significantly.

For your average MMO player the game isnt hard, but for folks new to the genre, concepts of CC and tanking and DPS are pretty much unknown. They need help or they die a bunch of times and get frustrated.

Lots of games had mentor systems besides EQ2 btw. Champions, CoX, WoW, (Pretty sure Conan) and Aion to name a few. And I am sure there are more.

It's not that the leveling game is designed to be solo because it isn't. There are quite a few level-appropriate heroics on the way up (4-mans in particular) that require a true group to clear. IMHO the leveling system was designed more to accomodate 2 players and their companions than soloists. Players can solo all of the leveling content, just many areas and quests will have to be revisited at higher levels to complete.

The only game I've seen with a "scalable" mentoring system like OP mentioned was STO - and it's not a very stable system atm. Most other MMOs use the good old fashioned high level toon running the low level toon through stuff to gear up, or perhaps work hands-on with them on rotations, timing, skill trees, gearing & buffs, etc... There is nothing in or about this game that prevents mentoring.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Champs also did it(in all fairness, champs is basically CoX 2), Warhammer did it, STO did it..

It's not just that people want to hang out with friends, we still want to be able to play with them without having to level up an alt and without just walking through the instance. I think the only real MMO's to not adopt that system are WoW and SWTOR.

For some reason no other MMO thought this was a good idea except for EQ2 and I have no idea why.

WoW didn't do it, so SWTOR won't do it either.

WoW didn't do it, so SWTOR won't do it either.
Mimicking WoW is not a defining characteristic of TOR. Funny how the people who rant that this game is a WoW clone are also the same people who rant that it doesn't have WoW's features. Wish you people would make up your minds. :confused: Edited by GalacticKegger

I am not sure why Mentor and AA systems don't seem to take off, to me, you make a HUGE game world, with a mentor and AA system and you solved alot of the end game content problems right off the bat, as people will Mentor down to help lower lvl players while they earn AA's for doing content they missed on the way up themselves.

Mentoring goes both ways. You can either lower yourself to someone's level or drag them up to yours (or close to it at least). Having played CoH for a couple of years, I can honestly say that it is a double edged sword. It made PLing alts/guildies/friends and farming far too easy. PS never really solved the issue either. In fact, they actually made it worse by releasing AE and the associated ticket roll rewards. In short, mentoring is a feature that sounds excellent on paper but in reality it is a nightmare to implement properly, if that is even possible.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

Loved the mentor system in EQ2

But why doesnt TOR have it? Thats simple

Because it promotes interaction and socialization!

I for one would have answered 1000 requests for heroics and flashpoint calls if I could mentor downwards to the required level range!

I cant so I just ignore those requests on week ends (on week days there no one online to make the requests).

Loved the mentor system in EQ2

But why doesnt TOR have it? Thats simple

Because it promotes interaction and socialization!

I for one would have answered 1000 requests for heroics and flashpoint calls if I could mentor downwards to the required level range!

I cant so I just ignore those requests on week ends (on week days there no one online to make the requests).

Now why in the world would someone demand a system (i.e. an engraved invitation) to interact and socialize in an MMO? Why not just do it instead of fabricating reasons why you can't? Help a lowbie or don't help a lowbie ... either way it's up to you - not the game. Edited by GalacticKegger

Ditto!

FWIW, it also helps to foster a sense of cohesion in guilds -- i.e., the newbies can group with more experienced players without the more experienced players logging out and seeing if they have an alt within range.

The crazy thing is that the game already has something like a SK system for warzones.

Now why in the world would someone demand a system (i.e. an engraved invitation) to interact and socialize in an MMO? Why not just do it instead of fabricating reasons why you can't? Help a lowbie or don't help a lowbie ... either way it's up to you - not the game.

The problem is that even if I wanted to, and I do actually, grouping with someone considerably lower level drops the xp gain for the entire group, hurting the person you're trying to help. So that'd be the reason to ask for a system...

There is no need for Mentoring in this game and i will give the following reasons why.

1,You have companions

2,Progression in this game is very smooth for many play style's

3,Soon Legacy features will be available for not only very good gear but also buffs for you and your companions.

I really tire of ppl coming into every mmo and dumbing it down,from instant travel baloney to AA's to Mentoring,,STOP!

Most of your XP is from the quest itself, which I don't think is lowered at all. A high level can easily run a lowbie through some quests and especially heroics.

When I asked for a heroic group early on in my questing I had a ton of people ask to be in the group. So I just turned it into an Operation and we went around cutting through the starter area in record time.

Unfortunately for some reason most people don't like grouping in this game, even in guilds. You could absolutely tear through this game and even enjoy all 4 stories on one side by running an operation through the regular questing. You'd probably be able to tick 50 in roughly 70 hours of play or less at that rate, instead of around double that regularly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.