My take on Ilum redesign

Ankhkharu

I asked myself a question: what are the most epic experiences I had in PvP out of all MMO games I played(and I've been playing them since Ultima Online):

1v2 situations when I came out on top

1v1 long fights and winning by small margin

2v3 barely survived after partner died

I think what ultimately leads to great PvP experience is not one big group vs another large group standing opposite each other trying to gain advantage via ranged attacks but rather knowledge you're part of a bigger force around you while you test your own strength against equally geared opponents on a smaller scale.

Therefore my idea would revolve around a persistent PvP world where objectives turn the game into "PvP ponds" rather than lakes, with smaller scale forces doing battle. Where the Republic and Imperial forces are encouraged to spread out not band together. Where a group of few players can feel like they made a difference.

It's ok to be part of large army of Imperial/Republic players, it just isn't fun to fight as one as it really lacks the above feeling. Not to mention the lag, low framerates etc.

Edited by Ankhkharu

I want something similar to the WOW one where there are NPC's on both sides and u have to overrun these points and take out a NPC king at the end. frost somethiing it was called. it was in the snow.

that was the funnest PVP i have ever had

I'm sure there will be dozens disagreeing with you, as apparently a lot of people think "realm versus realm" and "open world PVP" (in large numbers) is somehow fun.

I hope to see something like this, though. Large battles can be entertaining but require less coordination and more problems with different people's PC performances. I wouldn't mind have to split forces to overcome the opposition. Requires more coordination and team work, and way more skill and thought.

Can you expound on the idea a little bit? Because this sounds really cool.

I seems like you're talking a sort of big, connected Arathi Basin kind of thing, where you're engaging in small fights at Lumbermill while your teammates are doing their thing at Farm and Stables.

Like maybe a 16 man operation, say a boarding party on a capitol ship, where you're part of a 4 man group that must complete a specific objective in a set time, while your teammates are in other areas with different objectives.

Is that close to the idea?

Edited by Dayfax

Warhammer late at night was the most fun I have had in PvP, some of the fort fights were epic.

We had around a warband versus a warband and a half or so and managed to hold them off and rout them, they were some of the most memorable moments I can remember, certainly as one of just a handful of tanks and holding the line on the stairs against superior numbers.

In others, some of the fighting was all over the place, not enough tanks to form a line properly, or some had died and it finally broke and it was a lot of little skirmishes in the different levels of the fort, they were also very enjoyable when you won against the odds.

In fact they were enjoyable when you lost too, still put up a good fight against the odds...

That's why I would love forts and stuff to be able to be taken, even when less are on it doesn't matter, they make for the best fights anyway.

Edited by LillyWhiteS

I'm quite happy for people to disagree with this btw as long as it's a healthy discussion

I'm sure many of you have leveled on a PvP server. Weren't the best times you had with PvP during leveling, those accidental encounters with opposite factions where both of you were similar level / gear and just fought for the sake of it? Maybe when second player joined up, then you called your mate and suddenly it turned into a nice 2v2/3v2/3v3 etc?

Well since hitting level 50 people do very little of "for the sake of it" and "because it's fun" so there would have to be benefits of sort for engaging in PvP on a persistent world, and not like the current ones on Ilum.

My only idea would be to give a number of objectives around the map to both factions, enough to force a spread of population into groups and not one big zerg. System similar to Novare Coast less your presence around objective should be enough. Tie taking and holding those objectives to quests that reward some sort of tokens. Those tokens could then purchase rewards, irrespectible of valor level. I would imagine cool things like mounts, orange armor pieces, pets, pvp consumables, legacy pvp items and other vanity stuff. Items that dont give a direct advantage in battle but rather provide and alternate reward system.

Finally, force population cap on the whole zone and shard it. Don't get me wrong, make the cap high enough, but don't allow massive numbers of people into the same phase. This, combined with bigger number of objectives within larger distance of each other will allow for recapture/epic defense scenarios a la 300 and little zerg action.

This is only a rough idea

Warhammer late at night was the most fun I have had in PvP, some of the fort fights were epic.

We had around a warband versus a warband and a half or so and managed to hold them off and rout them, they were some of the most memorable moments I can remember, certainly as one of just a handful of tanks and holding the line on the stairs against superior numbers.

In others, some of the fighting was all over the place, not enough tanks to form a line properly, or some had died and it finally broke and it was a lot of little skirmishes in the different levels of the fort, they were also very enjoyable when you won against the odds.

In fact they were enjoyable when you lost too, still put up a good fight against the odds...

That's why I would love forts and stuff to be able to be taken, even when less are on it doesn't matter, they make for the best fights anyway.

Surprisingly this occured to me while doing Daily PvP on Ilum in the morning. 4 Reps vs 4 or 5 Imps, it was great.

Therefore my idea would revolve around a persistent PvP world where objectives turn the game into "PvP ponds" rather than lakes, with smaller scale forces doing battle. Where the Republic and Imperial forces are encouraged to spread out not band together. Where a group of few players can feel like they made a difference.

It's ok to be part of large army of Imperial/Republic players, it just isn't fun to fight as one as it really lacks the above feeling. Not to mention the lag, low framerates etc.

It sounds like you just described GW2

I asked myself a question: what are the most epic experiences I had in PvP out of all MMO games I played(and I've been playing them since Ultima Online):

1v2 situations when I came out on top

1v1 long fights and winning by small margin

2v3 barely survived after partner died

I think what ultimately leads to great PvP experience is not one big group vs another large group standing opposite each other trying to gain advantage via ranged attacks but rather knowledge you're part of a bigger force around you while you test your own strength against equally geared opponents on a smaller scale.

I'm not gonna say that I hate the 1v1s or 2v1 in Ilum. but it's the big huge epic battles that has sparked my interest

I'm quite happy for people to disagree with this btw as long as it's a healthy discussion

I would imagine cool things like mounts, orange armor pieces, pets, pvp consumables, legacy pvp items and other vanity stuff. Items that dont give a direct advantage in battle but rather provide and alternate reward system.

Finally, force population cap on the whole zone and shard it. Don't get me wrong, make the cap high enough, but don't allow massive numbers of people into the same phase. This, combined with bigger number of objectives within larger distance of each other will allow for recapture/epic defense scenarios a la 300 and little zerg action.

This is only a rough idea

This should be the "reward" for faction/guild PvP effort - or give tokens and stuff that guild and players can use to get stuff for their own ship or their "guild fleet" (whenever that is added)

I don't support "capping" zones - same reason I do not support "small/clique guilds with just a handful of the best players". And don't get me wrong. I am in a small guild myself too with just friends, but I see it as a problem as we do not really need to recruit - build something big. I support big guilds working together for objectives. I support actual recruiting and training/coaching of new members.

This. There should be loads of objectives on the maps - so that the faction imbalance would be lessened - it's pretty easy to hold 3 nodes with one faction if you have 30-40% more player base.

One I idea I had was to put in a stock market - people can "invest money" in their faction or guild stocks or whatever and when they hold enough nodes you can make profit. Also the more money one faction adds the more/better mobs spawn to defend the nodes - but nothing too big. Something fun like that.

Edited by Easpeak