Huttball, its about time .....

spodman

..... that when people use movement enhancing effects that they drop the ball (force speed, jump, pull, etc.).

Getting real tired of playing this map on anything but a force user. This has been suggested many times before but I'm still yet to see any response from Bioware over it.

So looking forward to the time when I can just que for one map. At least I will be able to avoid this one unless I'm on my Sorc. Great shame because fundamentally its a good map.

How about start focusing the map on full team play - not biasing it towards a couple of classes ?.

How about you lazy bastards SUPPORT your force using ball carriers instead of trying to do it yourselves when your class is not suited for the job? I don't care if you're the best sniper on the server, you are NOT supposed to carry the ball. You should be killing the people snaring/stunning/attacking me so we can score and therefore WIN.

I can force shroud and walk over the first fire, and sprint over the top corner past the second fire, anyone with a brain can grapple me back or knock me off or just plain kill me. Do your job so I can do mine, if you wanna be a ball carrier then re-roll and let a harder working person take your job.

Umm... theres a reason teh quarterback doesn't frequently run the ball. Different members of a team have different roles.

Know your role and play it right or lose and come to the forums and whine... your choice... would you like a second chance at making that choice?

Umm... theres a reason teh quarterback doesn't frequently run the ball. Different members of a team have different roles.

Know your role and play it right or lose and come to the forums and whine... your choice... would you like a second chance at making that choice?

I love the assumptions. I've played most of the classes - and if I have to play HB its preferred on a sorc. I don't view it as a nerf clown, it's called balance. There's also the frequent issue where there is an imbalance in the class distribution between the sides.

Nicely thought out and positive comment - clearly if they put you in the mellon patch it would lower the IQ of the plot. Typical of your ilk. Thanks for coming though.

So what exactly does that make you? and what youre doing? You read a change that doesnt support you? Know youre role and deal with the change or get mad that it doesnt support you and come to the forums and complain.

the game is about equal opportunity. not forcing someone to play a role in order to have fun or be successful in the game. This change wouldnt handicap or detriment anyone. It levels the playing field.

Edited by LeonkRAV

How about you lazy bastards SUPPORT your force using ball carriers instead of trying to do it yourselves when your class is not suited for the job? I don't care if you're the best sniper on the server, you are NOT supposed to carry the ball. You should be killing the people snaring/stunning/attacking me so we can score and therefore WIN.

I can force shroud and walk over the first fire, and sprint over the top corner past the second fire, anyone with a brain can grapple me back or knock me off or just plain kill me. Do your job so I can do mine, if you wanna be a ball carrier then re-roll and let a harder working person take your job.

How do we support the ball carrier when he's force sprints or leaps out of range?

I don't recall OP asking for non-force users to be ball carriers. You have terrible reading comprehension.

Furthermore, mercenaries don't have a grapple.

Think before you type.

P.S. Pro-tip: You are very abrasive and this will likely hinder your success in life.

Pro-Tip: Force Shroud does nothing to stop fire damage. Nothing.

All AC's have at least one viable spec in Huttball.

Mercenaries have the ridiculous defensive cooldowns and self heals as the heal spec so they can effectively tank with the ball from the ball spawn, down into the pit, and toss the ball / get extricated up by Sorcs at the goal line. They also get an AoE knockback.

Pyrotechs have shield tech spec which can leap at enemy players. And grapple to pull enemy players into fire/acid pits to stun them and make them die to the fire/acid. Or they can use their grapple to pull people down from the rafters / goal line.

Juggernauts have Soresu Form to tank while they have the ball. Intercede to leap to other players. Force Charge to charge to other players. Force Push to push players from the rafters to the goal line or off the rafters while on defense to prevent goals. And Force Push also resets the cooldown on Force Charge. This gives them the potential to leap 3 times in 4 GCD's. And that doesn't even include Obliterate which is useful for leaping up to Snipers in cover.

Marauders have Force Charge and ridiculous defensive cooldowns they can pop to ensure they don't get killed while they take the ball those last few steps. They also have a group speed buff they can cast to help speed the ball carrier. They also have Obliterate if they go Rage.

Snipers have cover making every leap ability targeted on them (other than Obliterate) useless. And they have ridiculous roots that can help a ball carrier get away from the enemy. They also have a knockback.

Operatives can stealth on the goal line where the enemy team can't see them and de-stealth right before the pass lands and go in for an easy goal. They can also hide by fire pits / acid pits and stun unsuspecting people without full resolve bars. They also have an AoE stealth they can pop to sneak people around.

Assassins also have stealth meaning they can do the same thing as an Operative. They also have a grapple type ability if they go into the tank tree. And they get force speed which can be used to advance the ball pretty nicely and can take angles over the fire pits with the speed buff that makes it where they can cross it without ever walking over the fire pit. They also have ridiculous defensive cooldowns like the Marauder. And they get an AoE knockback.

Sorcerers have the same force speed buff Assassins have plus they have extricate so they can pull the ball carrier into a better position. And they get the same AoE knockback as Assassins, but they can talent it and add a root affect to it.

I will say that DPS Merc seems to be the worst Huttball class/role.

Edited by Semitote

All AC's have at least one viable spec in Huttball.

Mercenaries have the ridiculous defensive cooldowns and self heals as the heal spec so they can effectively tank with the ball from the ball spawn, down into the pit, and toss the ball / get extricated up by Sorcs at the goal line.

I will say that DPS Merc seems to be the worst Huttball class/role.

Oh okay, cool, so the only viable spec to PvP in (Hutball is 80% of PvP) as a Mercenary is heal spec. Thanks for clearing that up. I will go respec shortly. I had wanted to play DPS but I guess that's just not an option.

Force sprint, force choke, force charge are all BC abilities, not AC or specs, btw.

Edited by crrypto

Oh okay, cool, so the only viable spec to PvP in (Hutball is 80% of PvP) as a Mercenary is heal spec. Thanks for clearing that up. I will go respec shortly. I had wanted to play DPS but I guess that's just not an option.

Force sprint, force choke, force charge are all BC abilities, not AC or specs, btw.

Hey, I agree. Mercenaries should get grapple or rocket jump as a base class ability. I did forget to mention the AoE knockback they get though. Edited and added.

Edited by Semitote

Hey, I agree. Mercenaries should get grapple or rocket jump as a base class ability. I did forget to mention the AoE knockback they get though. Edited and added.

That would be fine, just something to help stop a ball carrier and/or keep them in range. As a ranged DPS class, a grapple isn't ideal but whatever. Adding abilities are a slippery slope though and that might unbalance other things. I'd much rather just see them have the ball carrier properly debuffed. It's really common sense.

People talk about how "you can't limit abilities in PvP." Well, yah you can. I don't see a huge uproar because stealthers can't stealth with the ball? This establishes that it is acceptable to limit abilities when carrying in Huttball. Lawyered!

I doubt they will change anything. I'd rather have more variety of WZs than worry about fixing Hutball.

To people arguing against the OP, you forget to take into account that teams are never balanced class wise. Sure, all classes have something to offer in huttball but if one team is over half force users and the other isn't, there's a huge disadvantage.

The guy you quoted wasn't the best. I mean pyrotech and shield tech are different specs the AC is powertech.

Anyway his point is that all SPECS are viable in hutball. The ones having the hardest time finding their home though are the sniper/gunslinger and dps Mercs/commandos, so what is their niche?

Well as said many other times in other threads, they camp and control the middle with all that open area their ranged dps is killer. And that's just as important as running the ball because it denies the enemy the change to get the ball for a counter score while most of your team is at their goal line/pit. They are the first line of defense basically, and even of there isn't enough guarding mid to kill any wannabe carriers, then they can slow them down enough for the rest of the team to catch up.

It's common sense, if you dont have the mobility powers then you focus on the part where mobility isn't needed.

Edited by MartyrLXXVII

I still enjoy Huttball on my healing Commando and my Gunslinger. Neither one has access to movement tricks, but they still feel useful.

The Commando loves to team up with a tank and some DPS to form a ball-carrying turtle. Even without speed boosts, leaps and pulls, they are a serious scoring threat. And, because of the way he runs ahead of the ball carrier, heals, and runs ahead again, he receives a decent number of scoring passes.

The Gunslinger likes to play the DPS role in the same turtles, but he also excels on defense. With great damage, solid CC (especially the "lowly" Leg Shot), and surprisingly effective defenses, he makes an excellent harasser. If he teams up with another defensively-minded DPS defender, they can make it very difficult for the other team to score. After reading so many posts about the ineffectiveness of Gunslingers and Snipers, especially in Huttball, I was shocked at how useful he can be.

Both of these characters would become even more effective if Bioware took movement trickery away from the ball carrier. But I would be very disappointed if that happened. The surprising lines of attack and defense make Huttball a much richer game.

Edited by signahead

This would actually be the worst change to the game ever. The only reason Huttball works at all is because classes have the utility to get AWAY from the enemy. Otherwise, if it was just a matter of running the ball to the endzone in a normal fashion using the predetermined trails layed out by the devs, everything would just be a HUGE pile of players all over the ball the whole game. It would be almost completely impossible to score.

If you feel like just because your clase cant leap, pull or sprint, that the gametype is broken, you are obviously very narrow minded. If you cant run the ball yourself, do what you are supposed to do and kill the people trying to stop the carrier. Or heal the carrier. Or taunt the enemies and guard the healer.

I can think of about 100 times I have used a knockback or stun on an emey to enable my carrier to advance. The OP is clearly having an L2P issue.