Raise Server Population Caps

Posiden

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Fix the queues. I rerolled off Jung Ma to Ajunta Pall because of a 45 minute queue and I am not rerolled again. If this is still going on when official opening happens I won't be purchasing or subscribing. I love your games and have almost all of them but when I am paying a monthly subscription I expect to be able to login when I decide to play not sit in a queue. If queues exist at all, and that is highly debatable given real money is being paid, they should be the exception not the rule.

once u get in the game, if you have a G13 or G150 or something similar where you can make out of game macros, make random macros that continues for long periods of time that way you wont get AFK DC'ed :)

I wouldn't announce publicly that you are doing that... lol.

OT: THREE *********** HOURS AND I AM STILL IN QUEUE.

Another thing, if you were going to be beta testing then you should have called this beta testing not early access. It would have made people much more understanding although perhaps not by much given how close we are to release day. I don't know how many people are like me but I bought the game not because it used the star wars name but because it used the bioware name. I should think you guys would be concerned that your reputation continues to remain so high among your fan base.

Then you sir, are a certified troll :D

What else am I going to do while I'm in queue? My comment wasn't that I was actually ENJOYING the threads - other than the "oooh" factor of driving by a nasty car wreck - but rather that I have spent more time on the forums than in the game.

Although in general I agree that in some cases this issue can be ridiculous, keep in mind that they don't want to create a bunch of servers just to then have a bunch of empty servers AFTER the initial player drop-off. Most MMO's experience a high number of players early on, then see a large decrease in players after the free month is up.

So although I hate waiting in queue (my server currently has a 20 min queue time), I can understand that BioWare is playing it smart and not spending the time/resources to create new servers when the player-base is going to drop significantly soon (3 months-ish?)

However, I can sympathize with those who have to wait 2 hours. That's crazy.

You know what's really telling about this situation? I have had more fun today /popcorning the complaint threads and monitoring my "please-talk-to-us-Bioware" thread than I have had actually PLAYING THE GAME.

lol Me too i got a "Queue count down just so you know!!" thread should check it out too. Lots of fun! More fun than your gonna find in that silly queue waiting screen.

20 minutes is also to long. If they failed to adequately plan for loads that is not the customer's fault it is theirs. They no doubt know exactly what the load will be for a given number of players and should have planned their hardware accordingly. The fact that they have queues only proves they know what they can handle. The fact that queues are filling means they invited more people than they can handle which is simply poor planning. Being cautious would be inviting fewer people than you think you can handle in addition to the buffer you leave for just in case not opening the flood gates then sticking people in 20+ minute queues.

How long do you think people will deal with that. Let's see...the raid starts at 8 but I can't get on until 9 and it is my only night of the week to play. However, the raid is full because others managed to get on and moved on. My night may just be shot because of poor planning. Do you think you will keep me as a customer doing that for long?

So here's an Idea.......

First, if you have been in any pre-Launch or Launch of any of the past big title MMOs you know this will happen. It's a Star Wars game so the fan base is astronomical, heck Star Wars Has been around for what 33 years?? I am currently waiting in a que, I have also been testing since August and had to deal with this during stress tests so it's really no big deal to me. My thought would be to have the server cap be for those players that have actually created a character on the server not those who are trying to create. Not sure if that is a viable option but I think that it could possibly help this queue problem. So you would create your character then select the server, if that server is full with embedded characters then you would not be able to select it and the client would suggest servers for you. Biggest problem there would be if you wanted to play with your RL friends or guild from another game, then SWTOR would have to publish detailed specs about the servers and how much room they actually have. It would kinda be like making an informed decision. My 2 cents....just throwing it out there.

Yes they do cause BW thinks everyone is a r e t a r d think about it when playing dont you automatically think the people your playing with are r e t a r d e d till proven otherwise. Or is that just me from playing WOW on Dawnbringer! Edited by brusthoden

for all you saying to increase the server cap, how do you know they already didnt hit the cap on servers?

thats why we want them raised?

for me the server im playing on (swiftsure) is running flawlessly, we could afford to increase the cap by 1 or 2 thousand and I doubt anything would happen

Yes they do cause BW thinks everyone is a r e t a r d think about it when playing dont you automatically think the people your playing with are r e t a r d e d till proven otherwise. Or is that just me from playing WOW on Dawnbringer!

thats basically my idea too

Question i know in a movie theater you sell tickets and you sell the amount of tickets to fill your seats if some dont show then oh well you shouldnt sell more tickets than you have seats cause people arent gonna wanna wait for someone to go to the bathroom or to get popcorn to be able to go in. shouldnt this be sorta the same way the min a game is sold online they should have the assets to support it and if they make a hard copy when they send it to the store it should be the same way it would increase costs by a fraction but keep the gamers without queues servers dont cost as much as everyone thinks they do especially for huge companies like BW or Bliz.

Question i know in a movie theater you sell tickets and you sell the amount of tickets to fill your seats if some dont show then oh well you shouldnt sell more tickets than you have seats cause people arent gonna wanna wait for someone to go to the bathroom or to get popcorn to be able to go in. shouldnt this be sorta the same way the min a game is sold online they should have the assets to support it and if they make a hard copy when they send it to the store it should be the same way it would increase costs by a fraction but keep the gamers without queues servers dont cost as much as everyone thinks they do especially for huge companies like BW or Bliz.

lets see you sell tickets to the movie show, but after 2 hours the people don't leave cause there afraid that if the leave other people will take their seats. So they sit in their seat and keep watching and the wet themselves.

Then the ones who should have had their seat by now go yell at the manager so he opens a lot of new theaters so everyone is happy. Well soon the ones that didn't want to leave cause they we afraid leave now. Now the theater is nearly empty.

Now people start complaining that the movie must be bad becuase there's a bunch of empty theaters.

Edited by Augerman

Well finally get in... Then play for about 30 minutes and i cant click on anything.... i can play 100 % using the keyboard... But forced me to re-log... Now im back at the end of the Que... We paid for the game... The VERY LEAST is we could have our spot reserved once we get onto a server... Even if it is only for 1-2 minutes after disconnection.... I mean... Think of the partys and everything waiting when someone DC's... then they ALL have to wait for them to log back in, or they can replace them... So not really effecient to be in a guild or anything ... I think if the server kicks u , or the client crashes, or you have to re-log real fast, you shouldnt have to go back in Que... your spot on that server that u waited 2 hours to get into.. SHOULD AT LEAST BE SAVED .... JESUS ! :(

and to the people that want the Pop / cap increased ... It wouldnt do any good, or help any... and to the people who complain about low pop servers.... the population really dont matter.. sense there is only 100-200 people per instance, and several of the same instance... you wouldnt be able to tell if there was thousands or hundreads on, as long as your Area was full....

they need to add more servers... Which they either just did.. or a server crashed... cause i just saw a pvp server on the west coast list that had a low population... I wish they would do something to fix this thought... I have already re-rolled 3 new chars, because of the wait time in order to get back to the previous ones... exceeds the level of the char... 3 hours to log into a lvl 7 char, i can make a lvl 7 char...

this is silly... Fix it. or else...

Edited by Vidos

The servers are seriously lacking, i'd say this should be top priority, for if people can't get into the game then they won't play.

This isn't even all the early access players, what happens once they are all in, and then when the game comes out and even more people buy the game then. I really hope you have hidden power like some games do and then when the official launch happens we all become amazed by the speed and ease. It needs to be tapped into already.

I'm even getting tons of lag and i know it's not me, because i have a dedicated internet line for this game and it's 1g download speed, and i'm playing low graphics settings, so needs a big boost in power to handle us all.

With the millions of dollars if not more you stand to make just upon launch serious investment should be put into the servers at first step.

i also second this notion. the game hasnt even been released and already full servers? *** david blain? i really do hope that bioware realizes the problem here and is already making plans to fix this...i know they are adding new servers for launch but thats really not good enough. the server i play on is full all day and q's are an hour long.

INCREASE POPULATION THRESHOLD

I really wish they would post their intentions about what they plan to do about this. Not only having such long queues, but having no disconnect grace period at all is nonsense. I have played probably a dozen pay-to-play MMOs over the years, and I can't remember any of them having this problem. This is quite honestly a deal breaker for me. As a military member, I can be stationed or deployed to places with unstable power and/or internet conditions, and I can just imagine trying to do any kind of endgame content, and once you are disconnected, you're out of the raid. In fact, if you are looking at progression-based guilds, there's a good chance that you won't even be given a raiding spot if it looks like you might have any issues, since you can't hop right back on like every other game; once you're out, you're basically out for up to 2 hours (just in early access, it will be worse once the official launch happens). Since all the replies I've seen are 'we're monitoring it' with no word at all on actually doing anything, I'm on the verge of cancelling my preorder and saving myself $150 and a lot of aggravation. I'm a sysadmin at work, and I have quite a few clustered servers, and it can really be as simple of tossing in some more blades, and moving clustered resources around. I don't know whether Bioware/EA is just being cheap, or if they are screwing us around to use early access as another beta stress test.

The grace period in which to reconnect without waiting in queue is a fantastic idea; however, I doubt it's something they planned for in developing the game, so I bet that feature isn't possible right now. Too bad.

It seems like BW is just in possession of an overabundance of caution on this population issue. They do not want to open 30 new servers today, have a lot of people not renew their subscriptions after the first month, and be stuck with mostly-vacant servers.

That said, right now I 45 minutes into a 560-person queue, so my impatience is certainly battling with my reason. In another 180 people I'll be able to rejoin my friends and play my 20s Sorc again though...

what would be more fair, instead of ignoring the problem( it just seems like they are even if theyre not), they should monitor the servers and offer free transfers to the newer players who are just joining the rest of us, so people with older accounts/older characters have an actual chance of getting back to them and playing them.

Or. advise people in the welcome emails to join newer servers and them give them names of said servers, instead of just making it "free for all"

If I wait in a queue at launch I am gone..

You knew with the presale it would be big..I hear the servers can handle a lot of people yet not a lot are on them..You should of worked out the stress tests in beta not release.

30 min queue actually turning into an hour!

I come back in an hour I miss that window and it resets so I wait longer...

When I want to play a game its because I can and have the time...I should not have to login to wait in a queue for 45 min then miss the window and wait all over again...

just plain stupid