Can my class ever kill your class in PvP?

Sogui

I play a gunslinger, and if one class is ever guaranteed to kill me it's powertech. Between electrodart and carbonize, you guys are virtually guaranteed at least 6 seconds of where I can't respond to your damage. At which point I am already hurt and you are sitting there lighting me up and blasting me with railshot. At this point I can blow every offensive cooldown I have and still only tickle your health bar, trying to kite you will just get me grappled. There's nothing for me to interupt or break your chain of damage, you can just sit on me and poop all over me and significant damage while my retaliation feels like 500 DPS.

I can handle mercs just fine, I can handle all the other stupid unbalanced crap that gunslingers have to put up with - but powertechs are just ridiculous for me on a whole new level.

Gunslingers/Snipers with cooldowns are by far one of the hardest classes for a PT to kill 1v1 =/

Not sure what to say.

You must have better ones on your server.

As an assault spec vanguard I always beeline for snipers (a mirror fight to the OP's conundrum) as they are one of the easiest classes for me to take out quick. There are about a dozen of them that I see regularly enough to recognize and know that I can smoke them.

Except for these certain two snipers, one of them in particular. One of them beats me more than I beat him and the second one just wrecks me. I have recently been avoiding getting into 1v1s with him because it's just embarassing, lol.

So there is hope. :)

Edited by Cryowolf

You must have better ones on your server.

So there is hope. :)

Heh. If there is on class that has such a spectrum on how people play it , it is that class. I'd wager there are about 50 terrible snipers compared to 1 great sniper on my server. But that one sniper can really control the warzone.

/grumblesaboutimmunetostuncooldown

Not to mention they can burst really just as well as we can.

But like I said, finding a well played sniper is few and far between so as of now it isn't really a big issue. On the plus side they still get destroyed by LOS so I guess it's a fair trade off.

Edited by exphryl

Snipers with cooldowns available vs powertech with cooldowns available... Sniper usually has easier time. We cant interupt you, we cant grapple you close. You can absorb damage with shield probe, you can evade damage with evasion, you have 20% less damage taken with balistic shield, you cant be CC'd when you fortify your cover, you have numerous knockbacks which can also root, you can aoe CC and you can dehibilitate.

How can i do damage to you? All the while you can do serious damage to me at range.

But.... I agree, there are alot of bad snipers that dont use the tools they have got. :)

MM is a lot of white dmg, which tanks are good at mitigating, try lethality, which is internal

Lethality (dirty fighting) also has a lot of downsides too that make it frustrating to play, and the amount of internal damage is still not smart to go against heavy armor. Energy shield also gives you guys a straight mitigation on all damage.

With the armor change on PvE bosses in 1.2, I'm thinking Bioware HAS to change how we interact with armor or boost our DPS enough that we aren't a bloody joke - we're showing up dead last in damage logs because of the armor buff and we're the only "pure" ranged DPS class.

Heh. If there is on class that has such a spectrum on how people play it , it is that class. I'd wager there are about 50 terrible snipers compared to 1 great sniper on my server. But that one sniper can really control the warzone.

/grumblesaboutimmunetostuncooldown

Not to mention they can burst really just as well as we can.

But like I said, finding a well played sniper is few and far between so as of now it isn't really a big issue. On the plus side they still get destroyed by LOS so I guess it's a fair trade off.

I'm a battlemaster and I'm also the best slinger I know on my server. Hunker down is not an issue for you guys unless you are coming directly at me and I have it off CD and am expecting you to target me. Otherwise, you can easily pop off an electro shock before we hunker down and Grapple or Carbonize me as a follow up.

While our damage may be similar, you have the advantage of heavy armor, varied damage types, and several damage mitigation talents/abilities. All gunslingers have for non-cover defense is a 921 damage shield /lol

Even if I get into hunker down and pop my CD's, you can pop energy shield and easily go toe-to-toe with me. Once hunker down expires, all bets are off and you can start chaining your stuns/pulls to just destroy us.

Even if I get into hunker down and pop my CD's, you can pop energy shield and easily go toe-to-toe with me. Once hunker down expires, all bets are off and you can start chaining your stuns/pulls to just destroy us.

Perhaps your rotation is a bit off? Even with energy shield a Sniper should eat through a PTs health pool very quickly if things click correctly.

Snipers with cooldowns available vs powertech with cooldowns available... Sniper usually has easier time. We cant interupt you, we cant grapple you close. You can absorb damage with shield probe, you can evade damage with evasion, you have 20% less damage taken with balistic shield, you cant be CC'd when you fortify your cover, you have numerous knockbacks which can also root, you can aoe CC and you can dehibilitate.

How can i do damage to you? All the while you can do serious damage to me at range.

But.... I agree, there are alot of bad snipers that dont use the tools they have got. :)

If you aren't a "bad powertech" then you would know that if we do somehow preemptively pop several long cooldowns in anticipation of an electrodart, just LOS us for a bit and then walk in and enjoy the easy kill.

Perhaps your rotation is a bit off? Even with energy shield a Sniper should eat through a PTs health pool very quickly if things click correctly.

I could suggest your gears too weak if your health pool is getting "eaten" by a gunslinger while you have energy shield up. Check out the PTS debacle to see what happens to Gunslingers/Snipers when an enemy has high armor.

My rotation is fine.

I could suggest your gears too weak if your health pool is getting "eaten" by a gunslinger while you have energy shield up. Check out the PTS debacle to see what happens to Gunslingers/Snipers when an enemy has high armor.

My rotation is fine.

You are the one here asking for help against a class you should be able to actually kill and instead getting defensive when people are giving suggestions for you.

When in the end, it comes down to you being bad at your class. It's that simple. Any advice given will fall on deaf ears to you.

You are also probably one of those Snipers/Gunslingers that stay in Cover in the same spot expecting to win battles instead of using simple tactics like moving and resetting up.

Edited by exphryl

You are the one here asking for help against a class you should be able to actually kill and instead getting defensive when people are giving suggestions for you.

When in the end, it comes down to you being bad at your class. It's that simple. Any advice given will fall on deaf ears to you.

You are also probably one of those Snipers/Gunslingers that stay in Cover in the same spot expecting to win battles instead of using simple tactics like moving and resetting up.

I would be less defensive if 75% of the advice here wasn't "gunslingers are fine get better".

Play my class before you tell me how to play it. Of course changing positioning is vital, but every time you leave cover you expose yourself to force pulls, force charges, grapples, etc. it's extremely precarious leave cover unless you are absolutely sure you can do it without getting caught.

Since in 90% of fights you should be able to get off an electrodart before I hunker down, I'm asking what the hell I can do to counter you guys from the inevitable *****torm that rains down on me after an electrodart. The best advice I've gotten is to change my spec, but aside from that I haven't heard anything.

Flash bang, pop relics/adrenals, Sabo charge, FFB, Aimed Shot, Charged Burst, Trick shot combo puts out some serious hurt.

That won't work everytime, nothing does of course, but it's killer when it does.

You could also save Flashbang for our Energy Shield/Reactive Shield or for when you see us pop our dps cooldowns.

When you see get a Thermal Detonator/Assault Plastique on you wait a sec and pop Defense Screen and Dodge as a Rail shot/High Impact Bolt will most likely be combo'd to hit with the explosion for big burst.

Find a vanguard and duel him for practice.

Yes, I cannot get away. Leg shot, stuns, whatever... you guys always close to gap and take a massive dump on me.

My god man! As a sniper, you don't want to let anything get a jump on you. Thats the thing with playing sniper. You also want to have a plan in case something gets a jump on you that does not involve killing them so much as getting away with your hide in tact.

It didnt occur to you that he never really was looking for advice, just QQing? Because if he really wanted advice, it would have been on the Gunslinger forum where many people with real experience with the class could have given him the advice he needed.

<Offers some advice about how to prevent my class from killing you in PVP>

... because for some reason, I don't want to kill people in PVP? :rolleyes:

IMO, if your a class that has strong long range offensive capability, you should be super vulnerable at short range vs. anyone. Besides, if you play to win in SWTOR, how often do you encounter the 1 vs. 1 scenario? You shouldn't hardly ever been in that situation. SWTOR PVP is about groups, interacting with teamates and exploiting the people around you to win. The mentality that you have to learn to kill a <insert class here> doesn't play much into it.

Edited by Obtena

Snipers 1 on 1 are one of of the harder classes for me to beat in a dual with cds. I think Marauders/Assasins, and a decent op played well are all good matches. Marauders probably the hardest.

PTs don't have any ability that can 'eat' one of your skills so entrench hunker up, and proceed to dps. Our biggest failing is that pyrotechs don't have a gap closer even though we have a 4m + 10m range skills. So your knockback/ambush knock back are our worst enemies. If you can manage to land both of those skills we'll probably be dead.

If you get electodart/grappled then break cc, cover knockback legshot ambush (we can't stop it at this point as the only ranged interrupt is electrodart.) If we DFA you're better off staying in cover with your bubble up, and doing your skill volleys from range. You'd take alot less damage with the pvp adrenal + bubble then trying to run out and resetting.

I dunno against a good sniper its always down to the wire for me dualing. Sadly the lethality spec sniper can't compete with a marksmen spec sniper in a dual. Most snipers on my server are either a mm prototype sniper hybrid or a lethality sniper, but they don't do anything imho. The hardest ones for me is a good full mm spec, and I think there's only 2 on our server that even come to mind.

Oh another thing, the grapple on a pyro tech pt has no root so alot of them will grapple rp carbonize right away. At that point you're going to be full resolve in which case just cover, and cast ambush, and then knockback and then entrench up.

Edited by Xight

I play a gunslinger, and if one class is ever guaranteed to kill me it's powertech. Between electrodart and carbonize, you guys are virtually guaranteed at least 6 seconds of where I can't respond to your damage. At which point I am already hurt and you are sitting there lighting me up and blasting me with railshot. At this point I can blow every offensive cooldown I have and still only tickle your health bar, trying to kite you will just get me grappled. There's nothing for me to interupt or break your chain of damage, you can just sit on me and poop all over me and significant damage while my retaliation feels like 500 DPS.

I can handle mercs just fine, I can handle all the other stupid unbalanced crap that gunslingers have to put up with - but powertechs are just ridiculous for me on a whole new level.

Possibly the most situational QQ post in Frogdog history. In fact, I don't even know what you're crying about - are you crying about 1v1s/duels with all things being equal, or just about your general encounters with powertechs in warzones? Random encounters in warzones will frequently be one-sided in either class's favor just due to which cooldowns each player has available at the time.

That said, to claim that we are "virtually guaranteed at least 6 seconds" of CC against you is absolutely ridiculous. I would recommend placing your CC breaker on your action bar and keybinding it, along with Hunker Down. Hunker down is what, 20s of immunity on a 45s cooldown or something like that? If you can't tear up a single target as a gunslinger/sniper in 20s you're doing something horribly wrong, which brings me to the next quote:

I'm a battlemaster and I'm also the best slinger I know on my server. Hunker down is not an issue for you guys unless you are coming directly at me and I have it off CD and am expecting you to target me. Otherwise, you can easily pop off an electro shock before we hunker down and Grapple or Carbonize me as a follow up.

While our damage may be similar, you have the advantage of heavy armor, varied damage types, and several damage mitigation talents/abilities. All gunslingers have for non-cover defense is a 921 damage shield /lol

If you cannot tell when someone is switching to you or beginning to attack you, you are again doing something horribly wrong. PROTIP: when red nameplates come within 20m of you in a warzone, chances are they don't just want a hug.

If you aren't a "bad powertech" then you would know that if we do somehow preemptively pop several long cooldowns in anticipation of an electrodart, just LOS us for a bit and then walk in and enjoy the easy kill.

Does this mean you expect to be able to plant yourself in cover in one spot, never move, and want a new ability that roots your target in place for the duration of the fight? You play a relatively stationary class, guess what, you're going to get LOS'd. Deal with it; switch targets and make yourself an asset to your team, rather than focusing on going "toe-to-toe" with other classes or getting kills on all your targets.

Yes, I eat terrible gunslingers/snipers for breakfast daily (see: those who proclaim themselves server best and think Hunker Down is useless). But I also get torn apart by good ones who are pounding on me from up on a ledge or off to the side of a fight that I'm engaged in.

pyro has an advantage in non duel situations. Similar to an operative but with range over stealth, frontloaded burst made up of all instant cast makes it a devastating class to deal with when given the initiative over a target. If you want to say a pt is crapping on you for half your life with td>im>rail>stun>fb>rail while you are distracted, missing cooldowns etc then there really isn't anything we can say to help you.

Snipers 1 on 1 are one of of the harder classes for me to beat in a dual with cds. I think Marauders/Assasins, and a decent op played well are all good matches. Marauders probably the hardest.

This ^

Snipers/Gunslingers are cannon fodder as long as they're within melee range. However, at range they have a clear advantage. Operatives are easy to burn down as well, as long you can survive the initial strike from stealth.

In my opinion, Marauders/Sentinels with bleed specs are the hardest to deal with. Their defensive abilities combined with self-healing damage often get the best of me. I usually overheat before anything else, and if Vent Heat isn't available, it turns ugly fast.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.