The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Petition to get Mara Jade back

Captain_Zone

Oh I'll admit that it definitely could be Krayt. However, like I said, there has been talk of Legacy being retconned out. (Or at least the time in the timeline when it happens being pushed back.) So we can't really confirm it.

This is the whole thing about "what a character says" vs "what we were shown" really.

Oh yes, it is implied that it was Darth Krayt, but it wasn't canonically confirmed that it was Darth Krayt.

Edit:

I do, by the by, support the retconning of Legacy. Once Luke Skywalker dies in the novels, to me, is the day I stop reading Star Wars novels.

220 novels, hundreds of comics, dozens of source books, 6 theatrical movies (7 counting the Clone Wars premier movie), 2 made for TV movies, 1 very bad holiday special, 3 animated TV series (4 counting the Genndy miniseries)... It all ends when Luke does.

The only Star Wars product I don't read religiously? Legacy and the successors. I find Cade Skywalker annoying and I find a Star Wars Galaxy post Luke Skywalker bleak and annoying.

For me... It lives... And it dies... With Luke Skywalker.

Fortunately Lucas Arts agrees with me on that one, so do the sales numbers, novels that don't star Luke, or series where he is marginalized (NJO) tend to do more poorly in sales than books that star Skywalker.

I just wanted to say Thank you for your support, sir. Having been a Mara fan since Heir first came out, and hearing about her death and then actually FORCING myself to read it, I got so freakin' mad I threw the book across the room. It was the worst piece of garbage I'd read since I actually tried to read the first Twilight book. My gf at the time loved Twilight, and I tried.... but yeah. I would call Karen Traviss an even worse author than Stefanie Meyer. Talk about ugh....

I must have been in a masochistic mood that day. Worst. Star Wars. Book. Ever. to paraphrase Comic Book Guy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I'll admit that it definitely could be Krayt. However, like I said, there has been talk of Legacy being retconned out. (Or at least the time in the timeline when it happens being pushed back.) So we can't really confirm it.

This is the whole thing about "what a character says" vs "what we were shown" really.

Oh yes, it is implied that it was Darth Krayt, but it wasn't canonically confirmed that it was Darth Krayt.

Edit:

I do, by the by, support the retconning of Legacy. Once Luke Skywalker dies in the novels, to me, is the day I stop reading Star Wars novels.

220 novels, hundreds of comics, dozens of source books, 6 theatrical movies (7 counting the Clone Wars premier movie), 2 made for TV movies, 1 very bad holiday special, 3 animated TV series (4 counting the Genndy miniseries)... It all ends when Luke does.

The only Star Wars product I don't read religiously? Legacy and the successors. I find Cade Skywalker annoying and I find a Star Wars Galaxy post Luke Skywalker bleak and annoying.

For me... It lives... And it dies... With Luke Skywalker.

Fortunately Lucas Arts agrees with me on that one, so do the sales numbers, novels that don't star Luke, or series where he is marginalized (NJO) tend to do more poorly in sales than books that star Skywalker.

Really? Could I see the source for this claim? I must be in the minority then because reading about an inconsistently characterized force demigod that is capable of killing anything without breaking a sweat doesn’t really hold that much interest to me.

It’s time for Luke to step aside so I can read about the other people in the galaxy. I would love to read a novel focusing on Saba or Kyp or maybe on Jiana finally taking an apprentice, but until Luke decides to take a back seat things like this are never going to happen.

In fact I LOOOOOVED Crosscurrent and Riptide, even though they were mediocre novels with tons of canon inaccuracy just because the name "Skywalker" was barely mentioned at all.

Erm no. Everyone on the LotF team was against the killing of Mara Jade. Everyone. Heck Karen knew that Timothy Zahn was working on a new Mara Jade novel and didn't even tell him she was going to do it.

Mara Jade wasn't a loved one to Jacen Solo.

Jacen's daughter Allana? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.

Tenel Ka? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.

Heck... Natassi Daala made more sense as a sacrifice than Mara Jade did.

I would like you to post a DIRECT Quote from Timothy Zahn on this, I can't seem to find anything other than extreme fans saying as such . I mean DIRECT, not from some Fanboy Website.

Mara Jade was his aunt and a easy target for many reasons . I don't care how you look at it.

KIlling a kid is considered a NO NO amongst the Majority , alot of Star Wars fans have kids like myself. Another thing is , you really think he would kill something that was him ? I think its biased to think he would kill anyone besides the easiest target that had many benifites in doing so. Mara Jade was the wife of the most POWERFUL forceuser, what a better way to weaken him ............Sorry you do not see outside the box. I thought it was perfect and besides , not too many people could have pulled it off.

Mara Jade was a sacrifice in so many ways that it just made the most sense

Was no coming back after killing her, Luke would never let that go

No to mention Ben Skywalker was also effected by the death of his mother

When you factor everything in , even though if he did not love Mara Jade his family did. By killing her , he hurt everyone around him in a way that killing his own flesh and blood might have not did . The sacrifice of Mara Jade was the best option .

Really? Could I see the source for this claim? I must be in the minority then because reading about an inconsistently characterized force demigod that is capable of killing anything without breaking a sweat doesn’t really hold that much interest to me.

It’s time for Luke to step aside so I can read about the other people in the galaxy. I would love to read a novel focusing on Saba or Kyp or maybe on Jiana finally taking an apprentice, but until Luke decides to take a back seat things like this are never going to happen.

In fact I LOOOOOVED Crosscurrent and Riptide, even though they were mediocre novels with tons of canon inaccuracy just because the name "Skywalker" was barely mentioned at all.

I never been a fan of Luke , so I would be really Biased in my opinion that him dieing would be for the best.

I truely am sick of his Over Powered can defeat all Character, it is time for fresh and new characters to take the fold . Jaina would be Perfect for the new Grandmaster and he story is one that is just waiting to be reached in ways that Luke is holding her back .

I only wish Luke wasn't Overpowered , than maybe he would be the one dead instead of Mara :p

I never been a fan of Luke , so I would be really Biased in my opinion that him dieing would be for the best.

I truely am sick of his Over Powered can defeat all Character, it is time for fresh and new characters to take the fold . Jaina would be Perfect for the new Grandmaster and he story is one that is just waiting to be reached in ways that Luke is holding her back .

I only wish Luke wasn't Overpowered , than maybe he would be the one dead instead of Mara :p

Thumbs up. I agree 100%.

I find Luke's OPness to not be a factor. In fact, I wish he was more OP. It would be less annoying~~

Consider:

Luke, despite being apparently OP, is never actually able to just beat everyone and everything. He's always 99% of the way to completely exhausted, and injured perpetually. Every time he runs into Abeloth, he manages to hurt her a teensy bit and then she walks away. In fact, every time he runs into anything challenging, he simply represents the potentially insanely powerful force that might stop the opponent from running rough-shod over the whole galaxy, while all the newbies "discover" themselves and their powers, and actually stop the bad-guys.

To me, Luke is like Superman, only if Louis Lane actually delivered all the knock-out punches. I actually *want* him to be more like Superman, where what he represents (unlimited potential for growth mixed with ultimately incorruptible morality) actually gets something done.

Instead, Luke withstands the infinitely annoying politicking and has to serve as the bashing-post for every Jedi-hater and real-world SW fanboi. His power is all implied, and we *very* rarely get to see the full power of calmly OP Luke beating the snot out of an overconfident would-be super-villian.

Remember Caedus?

Caedus was sooo annoying. A wimpy silly, angsty bad-guy. Who gets totally made a fool of by Luke, who isn't even there but repeatedly tricks Caedus into looking like a panicked idiot. I loved that. Some self-proclaimed uber-Sith-wanna-be getting totally whipped around by the old-fashioned good-guys.

Anyways.

Yea, I'd love to have Mara back, but not now. The stories have moved on, and it's a sore spot, but bringing her back would only make it worse. It was a mistake letting KT work on those stories, and it should have been evident from the start that her primary motivator as a SW writer is to paint the Jedi in a foolish light and to make them look utterly powerless in the face of any Mandolorian. Both are neat cultures, but she goes far over the top time and again to the point of sabotaging the concepts of what these peoples are just to make a point. And having a silly villain kill off the EU's most popular character just to make the end of a boring story more impactful is cheap writing.

I find Luke's OPness to not be a factor. In fact, I wish he was more OP. It would be less annoying~~

Consider:

Luke, despite being apparently OP, is never actually able to just beat everyone and everything. He's always 99% of the way to completely exhausted, and injured perpetually. Every time he runs into Abeloth, he manages to hurt her a teensy bit and then she walks away. In fact, every time he runs into anything challenging, he simply represents the potentially insanely powerful force that might stop the opponent from running rough-shod over the whole galaxy, while all the newbies "discover" themselves and their powers, and actually stop the bad-guys.

To me, Luke is like Superman, only if Louis Lane actually delivered all the knock-out punches. I actually *want* him to be more like Superman, where what he represents (unlimited potential for growth mixed with ultimately incorruptible morality) actually gets something done.

Instead, Luke withstands the infinitely annoying politicking and has to serve as the bashing-post for every Jedi-hater and real-world SW fanboi. His power is all implied, and we *very* rarely get to see the full power of calmly OP Luke beating the snot out of an overconfident would-be super-villian.

Remember Caedus?

Caedus was sooo annoying. A wimpy silly, angsty bad-guy. Who gets totally made a fool of by Luke, who isn't even there but repeatedly tricks Caedus into looking like a panicked idiot. I loved that. Some self-proclaimed uber-Sith-wanna-be getting totally whipped around by the old-fashioned good-guys.

Anyways.

Yea, I'd love to have Mara back, but not now. The stories have moved on, and it's a sore spot, but bringing her back would only make it worse. It was a mistake letting KT work on those stories, and it should have been evident from the start that her primary motivator as a SW writer is to paint the Jedi in a foolish light and to make them look utterly powerless in the face of any Mandolorian. Both are neat cultures, but she goes far over the top time and again to the point of sabotaging the concepts of what these peoples are just to make a point. And having a silly villain kill off the EU's most popular character just to make the end of a boring story more impactful is cheap writing.

Hey, I'm not even that much of a Luke fan. I just feel sorry for the guy since he's been through a ton of **** in his life and can't be allowed a moment's peace, it seems. Just when things are looking up, BOOM! Another crisis to deal with! When he FINALLY gets some play, and not of the sisterly variety, along comes Karen Traviss to spit all over him again. I found a good blog about her messing up the Star Wars ExU to the point of being unreadable, but she wasn't quite fired. They gave her the choice to either quit or get fired. So she opted to quit. I firmly believe she should never have been allowed to write Star Wars in the first place.

Yes, I kinda realize that's how it is in RL to a certain degree. Good and bad, we take what life deals out. But this is FANTASY! It's not supposed to remind us of real life, imo.

Hey, I'm not even that much of a Luke fan. I just feel sorry for the guy since he's been through a ton of **** in his life and can't be allowed a moment's peace, it seems. Just when things are looking up, BOOM! Another crisis to deal with! When he FINALLY gets some play, and not of the sisterly variety, along comes Karen Traviss to spit all over him again. I found a good blog about her messing up the Star Wars ExU to the point of being unreadable, but she wasn't quite fired. They gave her the choice to either quit or get fired. So she opted to quit. I firmly believe she should never have been allowed to write Star Wars in the first place.

Yes, I kinda realize that's how it is in RL to a certain degree. Good and bad, we take what life deals out. But this is FANTASY! It's not supposed to remind us of real life, imo.

He would be at peace if he were dead.

Even Jango? Who got his head, cut clean off?

Don't give them any ideas or soon we will have a headless zombie Jango infected by the Blackwing virus.

That would be a reason to scream NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't give them any ideas or soon we will have a headless zombie Jango infected by the Blackwing virus.

That would be a reason to scream NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But Zombies make everything better! That's the Law of sci-fi! :eek:

If Darth Maul can come back (twice!) from being chopped in half and thrown down a well, then anyone can come back.

Darthmaul's body was never discovered , and he never appeared as a force ghost , and most of all his body was never talked about after he died . Left alot of room for a comeback.

Mara on the other hand is a force ghost , and her body was seen after her death . She is dead , hopefully she drives Luke mad and brings him to his ends soonish . Time for Jaina to take over as the strongest Jedi !

You cannot have a successful franchise, without zombies. Its true.

Its always the rage, zombie stuff never really seems to go out of style.

True. The first time I encountered the techno-zombies on Tatooine, that was pretty creepy. When Keighlah and the others all got turned into walking toasters, I felt like I was almost in a sci-fi horror movie. BioWare does a good job of making even minor NPCs likeable and Captain Golah's team were almost like crewmates by then. And Darth Silthar was an ok Joe for a Sith Lord, up until he bought it.

I like how the Bounty Hunter puts it when you find him in the cave and he's about to die.

"Well, Silthar. You were a bit of a creep, but you paid your bills." :D

Hey everyone!

We have noticed the conversation is starting to go off-topic into discussion about zombies. And while we all love (or hate) these undead creatures, we do ask that replies revolve around the given topic regarding Mara Jade. Feel free to create a separate thread discussing zombies as they are in the Star Wars Universe though!

We look forward to your discussion!

Edited by Ellvaan

Hey everyone!

We have noticed the conversation is starting to go off-topic into discussion about zombies. And while we all love (or hate) these undead creatures, we do ask that replies revolve around the given topic regarding Mara Jade. Feel free to create a separate thread discussing zombies as they are in the Star Wars Universe though!

We look forward to your discussion!

Are zombies in the star wars universe? :D