Orange or other equipment

Thangunis

Hi community,

I am leveling up my trooper and some other characters. Is it wiser to find some orange armor & weapons and equip them with up to date modifications via planet tokens or would you recommend to find equipment via questing and flashpoints?

So far it seems that it aint worth it taking up orange items since it is hard to keep them up to level - or am I missing something?

Is it particularly smart for some crew skills to take up orange items?

Or is it worth it just to keep for example the weapon up to date with orange item?

Thank you

Orange gear is the best gear you'll find in the game, simply because you CAN keep it upgraded with new modifications as you level. The key to orange gear is to find pieces that have the look you want for your character, and keep wearing those while upgrading them as you quest.

It's not hard keeping orange gear up-to-date -- that's what all the commendations you get as you quest on various planets are primarily for. There's always a modifications vendor and equipment vendor for the planet's comms in the main town and on the fleet. You can use them to buy upgrades and/or new equipment as you go along.

Depends on if you find orange items you like the look of or not.

If you do then it's worth it IMO. The best way I think is to take cybertech. That lets you make your own armor and modification mods, then the only thing you need to buy with commendations is enhancements and barrels/hilts.

Cybertech does not make armor; cybertech makes armorING mod and MOD mod. You will still need to find the actual armor pieces to put your mods in. Artificing makes Hilt, Enhancement and Color Crystal; armstech makes Barrel mod. The skills that create entire armor pieces or weapons are Synthweaving (armor for force users), Armormech (armor for non-force users), Armstech (guns) and Artificing (lightsabers - currently only exist in the top tier at rank 400 artificing with min lvl requirment of 47).

I'd recommend using orange items wherever possible. However, as you've said, sometimes it is difficult to keep them up to date. The good news is that you can usually eventually get a more up-to-date orange item from quests. Also, you can use Commendations (that you get from questing and killing mobs on a particular planet) to buy not only new orange items, but modifications to slot into orange items.

During the levelling process u really want to be kitted out with the Orange Gear. there may be the ocassional very rare purple drop that is better, but in that case simply use the purple item until its usefulness is gone, then go back to your Orange piece and update the mods.

The Orange pieces are good because u can quite easily update the mods with planet comms as u level.

However, once u reach the level cap of 50, u will slowly (or not so slowly if u pvp/raid or do Hardmode Flashpoints alot) but surely replace ur Orange gear with epic tiered purple gear.

Most level 50's that have been around the block once or twice, probably have all their Orange gear safely tucked away in the bank.

I got all orange gear as fast as I could and then, being cybertech, i did my own mods for armor and mods. I use my commendations for enhancements hilts and crystals or buy them off the gtn. I also have a droid companion and crafted fully moddable pieces for all his slots and keep them up to level.

Hi OP,

Orange gear is indeed a good way to go and I won't disagree with any of the advice here.

However for completeness I wanted to point out some other info you may find useful.

If you happen to join a good guild, or choose to try out some of the crafting skills, there are other options for gearing your characters.

The top tier crafted items, especially if they have an Augment slot are always going to best best in game - AT THAT LEVEL. In other words, at say LvL 30, a specific piece of Heavy Armour, crafted to fit your preferred stats with an Augment slot is going to blow away an Orange piece.

However - By Lvl 34+, that Crafted purple is going to be a lot less effective and either needs replacing with a new crafted piece, or repalced with an Orange and Mods.

I am lucky enough to belong to a Guild that supports its crafters very well, and we keep everyone in the Guild well geared as new plaers and alts level up.

The best advice I can give is to mix and match as seems appropriate. I wouldn't reccomend going full Orange as quickly as you can, as you will end up needing a ton of commendations to keep all your gear upgraded.

My trooper geared up with 3 moddable Oranges (helmet/chest/gun) and the rest was crafted gear. At LvL 50, I have still not found better gear in a couple of slots than some of the crafted I have from LvL 45. (PvE gear FTR).

I hope that helps.

Regards

Wolf

However, once u reach the level cap of 50, u will slowly (or not so slowly if u pvp/raid or do Hardmode Flashpoints alot) but surely replace ur Orange gear with epic tiered purple gear.

That won't be true come 1.2. You'll start to keep your orange, or more to the point find crit crafted oranges and use them to hold the end game purple mods.

Most level 50's that have been around the block once or twice, probably have all their Orange gear safely tucked away in the bank.

Mind you, once 1.2 hits we'll be back in orange gear- as the modifications in said purple bits will then be transferrable to orange gear, set bonuses included.

On top of that, crafted orange gear will be crittable (adding an augment slot) making them actually better than most purple gear is- you'll be able to transfer the mods over and then augment the gear for good measure. So even if you hit 50, you're not tossing your old orange gear out.

I save all my commendations while completing as many missions on the planet as I can stand. When I am done, I then use the commendations to upgrade any orange gear I have and maybe get another piece.

However, like posted before, if you have a lot of orange gear early in the leveling process, you will not make enough commendations to refit every piece. You may have to "leep-frog" your gear. What I mean is, on the next planet, refit the gear you couldn't refit on the planet you just left.

You will also get some drops (green or otherwise) that may be better in the interim than your orange gear. Use it until you can refit the outdated orange piece. Don't forget you can buy mods and armoring as well. But don't forget to save for that speeder training.

Hope this helps

The top tier crafted items, especially if they have an Augment slot are always going to best best in game - AT THAT LEVEL. In other words, at say LvL 30, a specific piece of Heavy Armour, crafted to fit your preferred stats with an Augment slot is going to blow away an Orange piece.

Only if it's blue. Green stuff doesn't hold a candle to blue-Modded orange stuff with the same level requirement, even with the Augment slot filled.