What is the point of rolling Republic?

lifewontwait

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I roll both. Currently my Empire Characters get more action simply due to current guild affiliation. There are things I like on both sides:

Republic:

1) Intuitively I prefer the "good guys". speaking figuratively, as most my empire toons are light morally. but the Idea of the Republic being the Good guys has existed from day one when leia's ship was being chased across the huge screen in the theater when I first saw SW IV. That image hasn't left yet.

2) I like consular animations better then the inquisitor.

3) I like the planet progression better.

4) Even though you can go light side on empire, it's still not as nice as the repub light side. But the empire light side has its perks below.

Empire:

1) I like Warrior and BH animations better then their counterparts.

2) though light side on Empire is still "darker" in certain ways then Repub side, it gives you a totally different depth to your light side character. Your the light fighting the darkness in a totally different way (subversive, im a plant kind of thing). very effective foundation for RP and character development

3) Gear skins for the most part are better on empire side (my opinion only).

4) Dromund Kaas is my favorite planet of all time. Yes, it's dark, but it has such a visceral feel to it, and I'm from Seattle...I'm used to rain (just had a 2.5 week non stop session a bit ago). compared to Dromund Kaas, Coruscant is boring. And the Sith temple is all kinds of creepy.

yeah, lots of little stuff. But I don't think you can base it solely on PvP numbers. I think the biggest difference is the total package. I like many things about Republic, but overall the Empire side just seems more polished in many ways. from the character interactions to the gear looks to the combat animations and even style. Add to that the odd nature of people who like actually play bad (look at the success of Grand Theft Auto....) and there ya go.

not that everyone who plays empire wants to be a horrible person :) don't get me wrong...I play my empire toons as the few people on the Empire side who want to do good things...they are just disillusioned with the Republic side (look at all the issues the senate creates all for the sake of "good". So they don't align with the republic (which they feel is just as bad as the Empire), but they don't agree with how the Empire is doing it either. So they decided to do as much as they can from behind enemy lines.

So there are peeps who are on Empire that are light side...but the attraction to play someone bad is still a major player in many of those decisions as well.

Edited by Elyx

but the Idea of the Republic being the Good guys has existed from day one when leia's ship was being chased across the huge screen in the theater when I first saw SW IV. That image hasn't left yet.
That image was the same one that I thought of when I was picking a side. The Empire was the "bad guys" so the Republic must be the "good guys".

I can sum up my choice to play a Republic character as such:

Morality choice breakdown for Republic characters:

Light Side: React with justice, humanity, and common sense.

Dark Side: React with anger, hatred, or fear.

Morality choice breakdown for Empire characters:

Light Side: Kill them quickly so they don't suffer.

Dark Side: Kill them in as sadistic a manner as possible.

Also, the Republic Force-user storylines have more depth.

While not the main point of the thread I do feel like you hinted at something that bothers me a lot. Outside of PvP matchmaking there is not much pvp going on in pvp servers... yea sure illum... w/e I got to 46 on my agent and basically the empire won the planet already and there was no point. Once in a while on other planets you have a small fight between 2 or 3 people. I wish they made it more so that the planets like Voss where players are upper levels fight it out more. Maybe a bonus to your faction controlling most of the planet? or even better make a big bonus for a guild owning it and a smaller one if that guild is in your faction.

Just saying i think that would make PvP more of a challenge and not to much wait for matchmaking or one planet that's dominated before people get to it.

One more thing that adds to the appeal of playing Empire that no one has mentioned yet - the Empire is hardly shown at all in any of the 6 Star Wars movies aside from malicious looking fleets flying by, so playing it in the game sates our curiosity. Plus, who actually likes listening to senators argue all the time? Edited by Jenzali

I love playing Republic; Empire is fun and all but I personally like the Republic story line better...the problem I see is there are a lot of people who think Empire = horde and that really isn't the case unlike Blizzard BioWare is smart enough to be faction neutral.

So you can have a trooper who smacks you in the face with his shoulder, not some amateur jetback uppercut. To track traitors to the republic, not win entry to some Great Hunt. Oh, and to see the Great Republic Capital World all silent and dead.

So yeah for the story, animations, and planets.

Oh, you mean in game mechanics, not aesthetics? Oh, well they're mirrors, you roll one side for aesthetics, only. Or you should....

If only. Then I could level an undead IA then roll an undead republic. And of course... the Alliance is ruled by a king.

Dude a undead IA?!?! If that was a species to pick from I would totally start my agent all over again!

to play a jedi of course.. and also, to play on the WINNING side. Unless theres a movie I don't know where the sith win.. pretty much all of the star wars saga stuff ends with.. JEDI'S WIN!! heh.. and.. jedi's are part of the republic.. so.. that's why.

Morality choice breakdown for Republic characters:

Light Side: React with justice, humanity, and common sense.

Dark Side: React with anger, hatred, or fear.

Morality choice breakdown for Empire characters:

Light Side: Kill them quickly so they don't suffer.

Dark Side: Kill them in as sadistic a manner as possible.

Not really so much for the Republic. In both the Trooper and Consular storylines there are choices that largely revolve around following authority. There's also the Esseles choice. None of those fit the Dark Side reasons. There are a few cases where the Republic Dark Side option could be best described as "the Profiteering option" or even "the risk Averse option".

On the Empire, there's also the number of people to kill to be considered. But it's definitely a lot more binary from what I've seen. More and painful killing = Darkside. Fewer and less painful killing = Lightside.

Edited by Soshla

For my first character i rolled empire sith inquisitor and that was pretty much based on thinking it was gonna be the same as Kotor and thats what i always played and loved the dark side abilities in that game.

I didnt know anything about this game at that point and have since then created characters on both sides and really do not think about or favor either side, doesnt really enter my mind because i space bar through the dialogue and roll on high pop servers. But i do play my republic toons more for less hutballs

I think same faction WZ will hurt this game more.

There is no hate playing against your own. It takes away the fun for me. It should be war!

I played Imp (Never liked Luke), I did some WZ with same faction, got bored and started to play bad, stand still, run away with the ball the other way, remove my armour and run nude... just silly stuff, because it is silly to fight your own faction...

I jumped over to Republic to find it close to empty (Fleet is 70 at max and Coro have like 25 at max)), sure very friendly people that give a more family feeling. But the pop is bad. Hard to find groups for Heroics, so I end up doing PvP to get xp so I can solo them later...

I don't know if there is any point? Maybe if you like runing around in brown clothing?